• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

MrKingOfNegativity

Abstract embodiment of being undesirable
VS Battles
Retired
Profile WIP here.

I generally believe that this will cover some ground that the wiki hasn't really managed to up to this point. We've had a longstanding problem with taking characters like Pennywise, Cthulhu, the Formless Oedon, etc. and lumping them in with other traditional mind-manipulators, as well as other issues which I think this addition may help us resolve. We already have pages for Empathic Manipulation, Fear Manipulation, Morality Manipulation and Willpower Manipulation on the wiki. I'd say this one will feel right at home.

As you can probably tell, this is nowhere near finished. If there are any additional types, examples, or descriptions you think should be added, feel free to mention them in a reply.

If that was the case, then all of these powers that directly derive from Mind Manipulation would not have pages; and i am also pretty sure that there are characters that can make someone lose their sanity through supernatural means, but not outright control their minds

Assaltwaffle said:
Seems superfluous. Just an application of Mind Manipulation; manipulating the mind isn't that different than making someone lose it.
Not particularly. The first and third fourth types don't really involve mind manipulation at all.

The third fourth in particular (the one tied to Cthulhu/Pennywise/etc.) isn't even something the characters can control; it's a byproduct of the nature of their physical forms. Giving them Mind Manipulation based on that is like saying Ego the Living Planet has Gravity Manipulation just because he has a gravitational pull as a side-effect of being planet-sized.

Ultima Reality said:
and i am also pretty sure that there are characters that can make someone lose their sanity through supernatural means, but not outright control their minds
This is a big reason why I think this should be added. Things like this aren't exactly covered by the pages we have at the moment.

The third type still is mind manipulation imo. If it breaks minds, even if it is just a form, it is clearly destroying the mind. The 1st does seem unique, yes. Perhaps this should be a page.

I can get behind this.

I can already think of a few users (i.e. Outer Gods, Foreigner-class Servants).

Why does the mind control page exist then? It is not different from mind manipulation.

@Therefir

It shouldn't. I've been meaning to get rid of it for a while now, but I don't know how many profiles are linked to it.

Reppuzan said:
Nevermind, just figured out how.

We'd have to replace 642 links.
Just make it a redirect.

I'm neutral on the page. I don't feel it's necessary, seems like more work than needed, but whatever people decide.

There's also a type of biological one used in fiction (i forgot who uses it), but they can damage certain parts of the brain using Biokinesis to make people go insane.

There's also the ability to absorb sanity, Glorificus from Buffy uses this ability.

Absorbing sanity would probably fall under Type 2, if you're talking about the person I'm thinking of.

The biological one can be another type of its own, though. Not sure which characters we have that would qualify as possessing that, however.

Also changed the name to the one Monarch suggested.

Found a few ones for that, various poison or toxin users, Joker as an example, others can include potion users i guess.

Well, all descriptions don't really cover this (at least from what the wiki said), it's similar to type 3 though, that's for the Shaman Bone.

For the Bloodletter's wiki description it says "The Bloodletter assumes its true and terrifying form after it draws upon blood from the inner reaches of one's body and soul". "This is the only effective means of expelling tainted blood, or so Brador, isolated in his cell, continued to believe." 100% Type 3.

Ok.

So now the types have been updated. Type 1 is still psychology, Type 2 is now biology, Type 3 is mind manip, and Type 4 is Lovecraftian stuff that involves the nature of a being's form.

Anything else missing?

Im loving this as i stated on the blog my only real question is would driving one to insanity via their prescence (ALA Vitiate) be a separate type of Insanity Inducement or would it be listed under a preexisting type?

Is Vitiate's presence an actual aura that drives people insane, or does it revolve around them being close enough to see him?

If it's the first, it's Type 3 (mind manip), just as a passive AoE rather than an active form of attack. If it's the second, it's Type 4. (cognitive/Lovecraftian)

Also, bear in mind that this isn't meant to cover every vague/unusual form of mind manipulation; just the ones with the explicit purpose of driving victims insane or otherwise manipulating their sanity.

I agree with this.Ive always wondered why we dont have a page called "madness inducement" or "insanity inducement" since it's a fairly common ability in fiction

@Hellbeast: No problem.

@Sandman: I think most people have just been associating it with typical mind manipulation. Which, yeah, I'd agree that some cases would count as a subset of that. But a fair number of them really shouldn't.

Well, since Reppuzan (who handles the Powers & Abilities pages) is fine with creating such a page, I suppose that it should be alright.

Bump

Does anyone have any profiles that fall under many of the four categories? Need more examples to fill out the lists before the page is made.

So, now that the page for the power has been made, shouldn't we start compiling a list of people who have this?

Pennywise has type 4.

Delirium from DC has type 1, 3 and technically 4 due to being the concept of it.

Many Many Sith have this ability, i believe it's type 1.

The Faceless ones from Skuluduggery pleasant have type 4 and 3.

Madness users from Soul Eater, no idea what type, i don't read the series or watch it.

Already updated Cthulhu earlier. Can't update Pennywise, since that profile is locked at the moment, but I intend to. A bunch of other characters/entities from DT/Stephen King's mythos have it as well, but we don't have all of them added to the wiki yet.

I'll ask Ever about the Sith later on. Same with Azzy and the Cthulhu Mythos characters.

I can only think of Kishin Asura when I think of madness users in Soul Eater, tbh. Can you tell that still I haven't read the manga yet?

Back