• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Superficial Cthulhu Mythos CRT

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdiosyncraticLawyer

Username Only
VS Battles
Joke Battles
Administrator
Content Moderator
Translation Helper
NOTE: Sorry, I accidentally posted this thread before I was finished drafting the OP. Please wait for a few hours until I finish.
Well, what do you know, "a few hours" turned into over a month, and I lost two attempts at drafting this OP to my computer dying before I got smart enough to draft it in Grammarly before trying to edit my OP.
Cthulhu Mythos Explanation Page
Though this page does an excellent job justifying the tiering, its writing style is lackluster due to being copied from KingPin0422's sandbox with minor changes. I've rewritten the page to have a more formal tone by removing first-person writing and language addressing the audience, corrected the explanation text's spelling and grammar, made formatting more polished and consistent, made the scans more organized and higher-quality, standardized the tabs and headings, removed the quote about the Ultimate Gods shifting perspectives because the 1.5 Cthulhu Mythos CRT debunked it but neglected to update this page, added some marginally relevant passages, added links to the H.P. Lovecraft Archive for verifiability because the Mythos is public domain, and expanded on some explanations in more detail. Also, I propose we rename this page to "Cosmology (Cthulhu Mythos)" for clarity.
Azathoth (Cthulhu Mythos)
  • The first general Cthulhu Mythos CRT debunked the idea that Azathoth dreams the setting into existence but neglected to remove his Dream Manipulation, so I'm removing it now. Also, I'm adding a note about this common misconception:
'''Note:''' As discussed in [[vsforum:threads/113000|this thread]], the common idea that Azathoth dreams the cosmos into existence and will destroy it when he wakes up is a misconception. The oft-cited passage from ''Fungi from Yuggoth'' to support this notion only says Azathoth sits on his throne at the center of the Ultimate Void and mutters the contents of his dreams, which he can't understand, which isn't evidence for all of reality being Azathoth's dream. Eldrich entities existing in a state of "dreaming" is a common motif in Lovecraft's stories, as shown with [[Cthulhu (Cthulhu Mythos)|Cthulhu]]'s "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" (In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming) and [[the Ancient Ones]] partaking in cosmic dreams; there's no reason for Azathoth to be any different. Ample evidence exists for him existing on the same general level as his servants despite being superior to them; [[the Ultimate Gods]] play music and dance around him, [[Nyarlathotep (Cthulhu Mythos)|Nyarlathotep]] strikes his head, and he's only tiered higher than them due to additional context regarding the Ultimate Mystery and Supreme Archetype.
  • I'm rewriting Azathoth's AP justification to be more in line with the reasoning used in the 1.5 Cthulhu Mythos CRT:
'''[[Attack Potency]]:''' '''Boundless''' ([https:// imgur.com/a/rOi2K15 Azathoth resides at the center of the Ultimate Void as the boundless ruler of all existence,]<ref>Weird Tales (1936) p. 550: The Haunter of the Dark</ref> [https:// imgur.com/a/Qo6Ocsl ruling] [[The Ultimate Gods]]<ref name="BRUHBRO"/> [https:// imgur.com/a/QyReLof from his throne and having been responsible for their birth and the creation of all things].<ref name="FUNGI">Fungi from Yuggoth XXII: Azathoth</ref> Azathoth embodies the infinitesimal point in his godly paradigm with [[Yog-Sothoth (Cthulhu Mythos)|Yog-Sothoth]], existing as the microcosm half of the Supreme Archetype, an all-encompassing oneness/"All-in-One and One-in-All of limitless being and self" of animating essence that subsumes even the Ultimate Mystery that underlies all manifested phenomena and eclipses even the Ultimate Void and its transcendent inhabitants the same way they transcend the rest of existence<ref group="note" name=":0">For more information on the cosmology of the verse and the nature of the Ultimate Void, click [[Cosmology (Cthulhu Mythos)|here]]</ref>)
Yog-Sothoth (Cthulhu Mythos)
As with Azathoth, I'm rewriting Yog-Sothoth's AP justification to be more in line with the reasoning used in the 1.5 Cthulhu Mythos CRT:
'''[[Attack Potency]]:''' At least '''Outerverse level''' ([https:// imgur.com/a/7ZRSXPN The Ancient Ones reside in the Outer Extension, a transdimensional region that exists beyond a multiverse containing an infinity of infinite-dimensional infinite spacetime atoms, perceiving the macrocosm and its contents as infinitesimal illusions with no substance; they are unfathomably greater in power than all the other entities and horrors that lurk in such undimensioned darkness]<ref name="EIGHTYTHREE"/><ref name="FIRSTGATE"/>), '''Outerverse level+''' with Rituals ([https:// imgur.com/a/7Bt8iDE The Ancient Ones guard the Ultimate Gate leading to the Ultimate Void inhabited by [[the Ultimate Gods]] and can summon the Gate through a ritual by joining their dreams and allowing explorers to open it using the Silver Key]<ref name="SILVERKEY">Through the Gates of the Silver Key p. 87</ref>) | '''Boundless''' (Yog-Sothoth exists in the Ultimate Void as the chief of the formless and ineffable "archetypes" known as [[the Ultimate Gods]], changeless entities of which all things are derivative facets. Yog-Sothoth embodies the infinite circle in its godly paradigm with [[Azathoth (Cthulhu Mythos)|Azathoth]], existing as the macrocosm half of the Supreme Archetype, an all-encompassing oneness/"All-in-One and One-in-All of limitless being and self" of animating essence that subsumes even the Ultimate Mystery that underlies all manifested phenomena and eclipses even the Ultimate Void and its transcendent inhabitants the same way they transcend the rest of existence<ref group="note" name=":0">For more information on the cosmology of the verse and the nature of the Ultimate Void, click [[Cosmology (Cthulhu Mythos)|here]]</ref>)
Cthulhu (Cthulhu Mythos)
The previous Cthulhu Mythos CRT removed the note debunking Cthulhu being High 4-C for no real reason, so I'm adding back a more comprehensive version.
'''Note:''' As explained and accepted with [[User blog:FanofRPGs/The Lovecraftian Circle Compendium: Part 5 - The Gods That Be#One Last Thing|this blog]], ''The Whisperer in Darkness'' mentioning the origins of Cthulhu and why stars were flaring forth in the same sentence doesn't imply Cthulhu affected stars. The paragraph containing this sentence employs literary parallelism by Henry Wentworth Akeley repeatedly mentioning two unrelated things he's learned to Albert N. Wilmarth; there's no reason to assume this sentence about Cthulhu and stars is different.
The Ultimate Gods
The 1.5 Cthulhu Mythos CRT debunked the idea that the archetypes are seperate from the Ultimate Gods but neglected to update their description, so I've rewritten it.
'''The Ultimate Gods''' are all-powerful entities that reside within the formless outer chaos beyond existence, standing as the supreme governors and rulers of all reality, inhabiting a graveyard of rotten worlds and eternally revolving around the throne of their master and creator, [[Azathoth (Cthulhu Mythos)|Azathoth]], playing discordant music and dancing madly for reasons unknowable to denizens of lower worlds, with the unearthly melody itself emanating from the outer realms and defining the laws of each universe in existence. The nature of these beings is that of archetypal entities who hold everything as derivative facets of themselves, inhabiting the Ultimate Void as a changeless, impartial totality.

Last edited:
The proposals seem alright; since the changes are uncontroversial or basically other things that were already accepted in past CRTs, I will apply them.
Edit: I am done. Since I applied the changes, I will lock the thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back