• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Negating durability with piercing attacks

ShadowWarrior1999 said:
Then it's not a conventional knife.
I never said that this would apply to conventional objects, I thnk it would be better to just scale the object to the wielder and then just add limited durability negation via piercing attacks to the profile.

Grimreaperofjustice said:
Well I think it should in verses like Naruto where he can survive a moon slice and a meteor but will get rekt if stabbed through the heart or brain but that's just me ┬»\_(Òâä)_/┬»
Naruto getting stabbed by Sasuke's sword is an immense, gigantic load of PIS.

The Wright Way said:
Try stabbing a brick wall with a knife, let me know how it goes. Chances are, it's the same thing that would happen if you tried to stab Superman with one.
Even the weak George Reeves (George, not even Christopher) has had knives bend into nothing when put against his skin.

Again, characters with a skin too hard to be penetrated in the first place simply are resistant to this.

@All calc group members

So do you have any specific suggestions for a new piercing damage regulation page, or is it unnecessary?

I still think that someone 7.5 times weaker than someone else could still damage it with conventional sharp weapons (assuming is made of flesh or similar compound), although, that sounds like the one-shot revision now.

Antoniofer said:
I still think that someone 7.5 times weaker than someone else could still damage it with conventional sharp weapons (assuming is made of flesh or similar compound), although, that sounds like the one-shot revision now.
Maybe we should just wait first for the one-shot thing to be concluded so this can conclude properly?

So Here was basically denied because "Killer Bee's tails are weak to cutting attacks"

Yet here we have the same kinda logic if you could survive a mountain falling on you or a knife stabbing you what is going to hurt more?

Ok if you can survive any blunt trama will you die from a knife? Well the answer is simple... yes

It's proven Madara is easily able to tank golem shots, and battle with Hashirama (alive). Yet he gets stabby stabby and it's game over? and why? Because his exterior can handle getting smacked and punched, but once his exterior is pierced it's game set and matched.

How I feel about this is if it's an Anime that literally has that as it's main option for handling a charecter who tanks anything but can't handle getting pierced. such as Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, JoJo, and etc. but things like Halloween, Friday the 13th, DBU (mainly because there are only certain char's like Zamasu and Goku B who can do durability negating piercing and all others really depend on how strong you are compared to them logic), and other genre and lore SHOULD NOT have it . Mainly because of the fact they wouldn't be able to either tank anything else it's just one of the many things that can kill them or because it's only certain chars who can and should be specified.

Really one way or the other if it doesn't get passed then Minato should be upgraded to 6-C \(O_O)/

Isn't it like how Spider-Man and Wonder Woman have no piercing resistance? I'm pretty sure both have been consistently portrayed as vulnerable to knives and guns (at least Post-Crisis Diana) despite being listed far higher than them.

Well at a certain point you are basically bulletproof since the energy density that you tank from a high tier attack will leave you immune to low-power piercing or slashing attacks. Anyone capable of tanking a punch from Superman should absolutely not be harmed by any conventional weapon.

That's true, but Post-Crisis Wonder Woman has a consistent weakness the sharp things. To the point where Batman even said a normal human with a gun could theoretically kill her and she didn't disagree.

Sharp things are just OP in fiction. That or some character's kryptonite is pointy objects.

Qawsedf234 said:
That's true, but Post-Crisis Wonder Woman has a consistent weakness the sharp things. To the point where Batman even said a normal human with a gun could theoretically kill her and she didn't disagree.
I could have believed that if we weren't taling about Wonder Woman. No sharp object (made of conventional material) could have reduced WW defenses that low, we are talking about magnitudes of difference.

WW has totally been damaged by knives and bullets before. Its weird sure, but it happens a lot.

Assaltwaffle said:
Well at a certain point you are basically bulletproof since the energy density that you tank from a high tier attack will leave you immune to low-power piercing or slashing attacks. Anyone capable of tanking a punch from Superman should absolutely not be harmed by any conventional weapon.
Thanos Cops

Should we then just apply a case-by-case basis in that by default piercing attacks are capable of harming any character above tier 8 (ignore durability) unless shown otherwise?

Going to sleep so I won't elaborate further until tomorrow, but we've already explained how they're only deadly due to the force being concentrated in one area.

Piercing attacks in fiction are recurrently displayed as far more deadly than they should be considering the limited force behind them.

One of the most extreme examples is likely Wolverine performing feats such as severely wounding Thanos or decapitating the Maestro version of the Hulk.

However, that does not mean that we can automatically assume that they all ignore durability.

It´s like other inconsistencies in fiction, for example, say, the time slow and time stop thing.

Simply put, it doesn´t seem like we can just paste science into this, as many fictions take it the other way around (basically ignoring durability), so I would just suggest if we shoudl discuss if we should just take it as that we should just have something to assume by default, which would be one of the following 2:

1: The piercing attack won´t ignore durability to a character if it´s above tier 8.

2: The piering attack will ignore durability regardless of tier, so long it´s in the same dimension (aka, it won´t work with any charater that´s High 2-A or above, for example).

Let´s see what is choosen, I vote for the second alternative as it brings some consistency to many series instead of just seeing it as PIS.

@Bobsican

Yeah I'm not getting out my kitchen knife and murdering Beerus. Piercing/slashing weaponry should be treated as more powerful within reason. Unless the weapon is stated to be mono-molecular/atomic, it should absolutely not null durability.

I agree with Assaltwaffle. We can not adapt the logical structure of our entire system to some authors not caring about logic in this regard.

As mentioned on another thread, slashing/piercing attacks sound more like limited bonus damage than it does durability negation. Anyone who's above around 9-A should be immune to bullets, and melee weapons such swords and knives are more so dependant on the wielder. It's true that many fictional stories portray nearly every non robotic or unarmored character as having metallic weapons be their kryptonite, but we treat that as PIS.

It seems the first alternative I said is the most accepted overall.

However, it´s still left to discussion whether or not it can be applied as a case-by-case basis as a bunch of characters above tier 8 are potentially "normally" injurable by a normal knife, for example.

@Bobsican So what's your idea? Someone like Wonder Woman gets "sharp things" listed in her weaknesses?

Back