• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Negating durability with piercing attacks

Like Kep has explained.

A stab is much more dangerous than a blunt force attack because the area of effect (Of the kinetic energy) is focused in one single place, the tip of the knife, that is why people can take punches to the face but a stab rekts them completely and goes through them... because the entire energy disperses in the punch while the knife just keeps going.

There is a guy in Youtube who explains it... in spanish though.

So, no, stabbing DOESN'T BYPASS DURABILITY

Then that is durability negation completely unrelated to the action of stabbing them itself

What about very sharp objects to the point they are so sharp, they can separate stuff like butter as it´s sharpness is at about the atomical level and somehow it doesn´t break itself in the process?

>seperate stuff like butter

Boi any knife can do that.

If it can cut atoms that's matter manipulation

Bobsican said:
What I mean is, regardless of durability.
I mean

It's not like Butter is punch proof. You could easily smash it with your bare hands.

I agree with what kep's said thus far, basically. While cutting and penetrating attacks are more useful when compared to others of around the same AP, they don'tjust outright negate durability.

Also, shotguns don't really pierce.

ShadowWarrior1999 said:
What should be the threshold for durability that a sharp object can penetrate?
If negating durability can´t be accepted as I propose it, then this should be discussed at least.

A slashing or piercing weapon lowers the surface area of the attack, and thus more effectively deals damage to a localized area. However it does not ignore durability.

At higher tiers, tanking a nuke/similar attack will expose the character's body to energy proportionally greater to a piercing or slashing attack. For example, if a knife distributes 40 joules over a 1cm^3 surface area, once that surface energy ratio has been surpassed by any durability feat for a character the knife would lose its ability to deal damage.

PaChi2 said:
Also, this is more supporting proof that piercing negates dura:
Speking of which, lasers don´t pierce, but rather literally vaporize anything in their path, so I don´t think they would fall in the same thing as a knife or bullet.

Piercing have more in common with pressure that with energy, for instance, attacking with a punch or with pocket knife should yield similar energy but yet the last one will pierce/cut human skin.

Speking of which, lasers don´t pierce, but rather literally vaporize anything in their path, so I don´t think they would fall in the same thing as a knife or bullet.

technically magikarp's is high pressured water

Bobsican said:
Yes actually, if they step on it or anything in those lines.
Bumping this as this can lead to ignoring durability if character A manages to make character B to use his brute force-based AP into the sharp part of a knife and the knife can tank it.

I mean yeah, if you can bait a 7-B into stabbing themselves with a 7-B sword it will work.

That's not dura negation tho

Fine then.

This seems to have gone into if piercing attacks can one shot characters in the same tier, so let´s see how this goes.

I don't think a weapon of the same tier is necessary, in fiction strong people use common swords and adapt to its power level. Trunks sword for example is a common sword made of common metal.

Trunks' sword is kj-infused, though. When he gave it to a weaker foe, like King Cold, it couldn't do much anymore.

However I do believe that swords and bullets do hurt higher tier characters, just not to an extreme extent. Around tier 8-7 swords and bullets stop working completely unless they are not normal.

Because that'sthe average bullet. Rockets are still 9-A, and that type of gun is designed to bust through structures and can pretty badly damage tanks. Note that its 9-B with one shot, and guns like that can fire at anywhere from 3000-10000 a minute, or 50 to 167 bullets a second. Also how shrek can do literally nothing about it.

Eh, to make sure I would make anyone above tier 9 bullet proof unless they have a natural/dermal armor.

So, how to determinate the threashold or piercing? Comparing a human level capable to damage a street level?

Extremely powerful bullets, like .300 Magnum or 50 Cal can hold Wall level energy in and of themselves. They can hurt low tier 8s.

Well I think it should in verses like Naruto where he can survive a moon slice and a meteor but will get rekt if stabbed through the heart or brain but that's just me ┬»\_(Òâä)_/┬»

I think that can fit as a sort of limited Durablity Negation, as it´s effectively one-shotting a target, after all, one thing is punching a head, and another is stabbing it.

Try stabbing a brick wall with a knife, let me know how it goes. Chances are, it's the same thing that would happen if you tried to stab Superman with one.

Back