• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Negating durability with piercing attacks

Sorry Bob, but we aren't going to consider piercing attacks as WW's weakness; piercing could reduce the durability (in an unknown amount) but not straight up ignore it. I aslo recall WW resisting/no selling to piercing attacks.

WW and Spider-Man are two characters I remember consistently having mediocre track records with being stabbed or shot

Qawsedf234 said:
WW and Spider-Man are two characters I remember consistently having mediocre track records with being stabbed or shot
Can you explain a bit more? This sounds like something relevant.

It's called DC and Marvel being incredibly inconsistent and PIS ridden. We even have specific rules about scaling them.

It's not a real thing. Stabby and shooty things do have a smaller surface contact area than a fist, which in humans translate in doing more damaged, but the gap is never remotely as big as fiction sometimes implies. Wall level alone has a x4000 gap from weakest to strongest and at that point the durability is already outdoing most of the output of various weapons.

Bobsican said:
Can you explain a bit more? This sounds like something relevant.
Just that they're consistently portrayed as susceptible to sharp things. WW would be the only one with an explicit weakness, but I don't think anything says it outright. So there's likely nothing to add unless split durability gains extremly large traction here.

Welp, if we talk about gasp I think x150 would be the number (gap between athlete and wall level) considering that 15 kJ is a value made by a human.

Sigurd Snake in The Eye said:
What if a weakness to sharp/bladed objects or even piercing weapons is an actual in verse weakness.
If it's literally established as a weakness it's a thing, but 99% of fiction has people damaged by bullets only via PIS

This is honestly just a very poor attempt to pass off extreme inconsistencies in fictional media as legitimate weaknesses.

Let me explains this.

The thing we are discussing here isn't power, it's pressure. Aka, the amount of force applied per a specific area. 1 Newton / Meter┬▓ is the standard.

To derive an example from this article, let us look at the energy of a flying baseball:

A baseball weighs a little over 5 ounces, or about 145 grams. A 100 mph fastball travels at 147 feet per second, or 44 meters per second. Using the formula for kinetic energy works out to 140 joules.

Meanwhile a .22LR bullet weighs about 3 grams (a tenth of an ounce) and has a muzzle velocity of 335 meters per second (about 750 mph) which works out to 168 joules.

The difference in energy is shockingly small.

But why can a Baseball player survive a ball hitting his head, when this same player would undoubtedly die from a shot to the head?

It is simple: Surface contact area. A bullet has a significantly smaller contact area than the baseball, and so the impact possesses far greater pressure.

This is what happens.

Of course, while this difference does exist, it is nowhere near as big as fiction authors think it is. If you can survive being hit with a planet-buster, you have absolutely no business being damaged by a bullet or a pointy stick.

What about blades with unrealistically sharp points, like those with supposed atom or electron cutting edges?

If your blade can cut atoms through sheer sharpness than it indeed probably bypasses durability. But I have seen people shrugging that off too. Like Warhammer 40,000 has monomolecular blades breaking apart when hitting something really tough.

Yobobojojo said:
What about blades with unrealistically sharp points, like those with supposed atom or electron cutting edges?
You already answer your own question: the smaller the surfice the more damage it cause, with a edge layer as wide as atoms it should be capable to cutt through most matter.

@Matt

The bullet tip is about 28x smaller than the front of a baseball. Given this difference, the bullet osneffectively carrying 4700 joules if being compared to the baseball's surface area. To mimic this energy the baseball would need to be thrown at around 570 miles per hour, which would similarly totally kill you.

Back