• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Naruto vs Luffy - who is better written character?

Why this thread? Ichigo is da besto hands dow

Naruto. Luffy's progression is almost non-existent while Naruto grows with the story and the audience, learning from his surroundings and their events.

Luffy is well written and is always consistent, without dropping what makes him fresh and interesting, but he lacks the factor that makes a protagonist relatable.

By comparison, Naruto is far closer than Luffy to characters like Edward Elric or Gon Freecss.

I like Luffy over Naruto, but Oda doesn't exploit those factors since his story's priority is the plot instead of the characters. Even when he has the chance to make Luffy grow through pain he ignores that (seen in some recent events I won't spoil).

Luffy. Over all Luffy was able to set his goal and try atcheveing it , Luffy has an immoral Moral compas whitch makes him more intristing , regarding his progression even tho it's to little but it happens .

I have many problems with Naruto's charchter

1- A bad father (from someone who knows what that means)

2- he thought he could save everybody from that war which is so chaildish + forgave Obito like he is'nt a criminal

3-his relation with Sasuke, 4 tails vs Orichmaro , 1 tail for Garraa (after he died ) .

4- he achieved his goal after defeting Pain , or at least the cause behind his goal (being recognize by the viligers)

5-spent over two years traning for nothing .

I can list more but i hate typing sorry

my answer Luffy is better

1- Luffy doesn't have to be a good father . He doesn't care about what being a father is like ,meanwhile Naruto knows how him being raised without a father made him hated by the villagers, so to not take care of your kids and to skip the birthday of his daughter is bad . 2- and that's my point being ninja jesus screws his character 4- I agree .

But you used bad father as a comparison argumrnt why Luffy likely wouldn't be any better than him. He's evem more absent-minded than Naruto.

Yes, Ninja Jesus destroyed his character. That's Luffy's advantage over him for being still Luffy.

My comparison is like this Luffy is not expected to be a good father But Naruto is . We can say it's bad thing if Luffy is a bad father But it's worse for Naruto because he should know that his parents not being there for him made him suffer and he's doing the same thing to his kids.

To be fair, the contexts are very different. Boruto and Himawari ain't alone in any way, they just lack a good father figure. They aren't hated by the villagers and they have a mom.

Being Hokage is what's killing Naruto's father option while shouldn't be Hokage at all, but that's just me.

Yeah, Luffy should be better. He's character didn't take abuse from the rethorical uncle of having fate and a literal deus ex machina giving him everything instead of hard work.

Naruto goes through a lot more development over the course of his series, but there's something equally good about a consistent character whose cores values/motivations haven't changed.

I'd say that in the context of their series, both of them are about as well written as protagonists as I can expected. (I'd rather have a protagonist like Luffy for the story of One Piece, and Naruto has definitely improved by the end compared to the brat he was at the beginning of the series).

I agree, but One Piece has room for character progression, it's just that Oda doesn't focus in that factor.

For example, back in Drum Island Arc Luffy had one of my favorite moments of his character. When the villagers shooted Sanji, Luffy almost engaged in a fight, but Vivi stopped him saying that not every problem is solved with violence. Luffy learned that and begged the villagers to let them land in order to find a doctor to save Nami.

Oda also waste these opportunities, like Luffy forgiving Sanji after listening Zoro's speech as why he shouldn't forgive the disrepect so easily if he claims to be a captain.

I love both Naruto and Luffy but currently Luffy just lacks something that makes him seem normal. Luffy is jsut too stupid

Exactly, he doesn't grow with the story.

Well, to play some cards in his favor, his relationship with Tama is just adorable. Luffy being a big brother of someone else to pay homage on Ace's memory is something I find amazing (even if he doesn't notice he's doing it). Same with Momo, whose relationship is the same Ace had with him when they were younger, yelling at him that he doesn't like crybabies just like how Ace yelled at him a lot.

I really love both characters, but Naruto definetly had far better character development than Luffy by far.

Having said that, Luffy's personality is really great, and he was definetly one of my favourite HST protagonists before the timeskip

Back