• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Most well written characters for every tier

KHI may have aged like milk out of having rather unpolished gameplay compared to other titles and some early installment weirdness, but KHII to this day is still a really solid game, only real downside is that some parts of the plot are kinda filler and that Peter Pan is broken, in fact some deem it better than KHIII.
To be fair, I do think you get a lot more mileage out of KH2's story by having experienced some of the other games, notably Re:COM and 358/2 Day's.

KHI may have aged like milk out of having rather unpolished gameplay compared to other titles and some early installment weirdness, but KHII to this day is still a really solid game, only real downside is that some parts of the plot are kinda filler and that Peter Pan is broken, in fact some deem it better than KHIII.
yeah I'll chalk this one up to different tastes, Disney movies are fine but I don't need a damn MCU sitch for everything.

If you wanna continue with the mindset of "everyone but me doesn't get it" go ahead, I just think that's very close-minded
No, I know people who get it, it's just that it seems like most of them are wise enough to not visit VSBW.

yeah I'll chalk this one up to different tastes, Disney movies are fine but I don't need a damn MCU sitch for everything.
Well, that's the funny thing, hardly any character reaches outside their own world, especially Disney characters, this is explicitly a thing to ensure the plot doesn't get far more complicated than it already is, and to keep some lore in-check of most characters not even being aware there's universes besides their own.

Well, that's the funny thing, hardly any character reaches outside their own world, especially Disney characters, this is explicitly a thing to ensure the plot doesn't get far more complicated than it already is, and to keep some lore in-check of most characters not even being aware there's universes besides their own.
No, I remember, because the only character I was happy about being there was Jack ******* Sparrow and it doesn't matter because you can't get shit for extra characters outside of the Jack Sparrow Sphere. I earnestly loathe Kingdom Hearts for not doing anything right or even good.

That ultimately depends on how much you liked Disney stuff beforehand TBH, in my case my parents indoctrinated me to Disney, so I'm happy with most of what got in.

Characters can be, objectively, shallowly written. A lot of characters are. A lot of the ones in this thread are.
the-big-lebowski-thats-like-your-opinion-man.gif

yes it does lol?

If I decide that, to me, the Kool-Aid Man represents the deep-seated problems of mankind, and explore that concept via the Kool-Aid Man to the deepest extent you can possibly go, such that I develop a philosophy on the subject, that doesn't change the level of writing done for the Kool-Aid Man.

I think I just need to accept that y'all don't get it, man, I don't know how much more clearly I can relay this information
Once again...

Anyway, Ezio for 9-A (Top 5 bare minimum, but well below DC's Caped Crusader that Dresses like a Bat) for this reason (This video goes even more in-depth and repeats a lot of the points I personally would've noted).

EDIT: This proposal is also subjective, so as not to unknowingly insult anyone else, like this entire thread is subjective.

Last edited:
Once again...

no, it isn't. I have given opinions on this thread, this ain't one of 'em. I will just accept that online forum lurkers dedicated to ******* powerscaling just aren't the best crowd to speak deeply to.

Don't see why it is impossible; as much as it is subjective sure, but there is always a consensus in this matter.
The same concept is already used in vs. thread, people vote which arguments are more convincing.

There is no right or wrong. Otherwise, it will be useless to even discuss if the match is clear and objective.
Nah this is much much more subjective than vsdebating lol.
In vsdebating you at least have an end goal where one side has to win. In writing comparison there's no end goal. Two sides can have different opinions on what makes for good writing.

I personally prefer characters that explore unique themes and have a lot of depth/complexity. Others might prefer characters that go through lots of development. The particular themes being explored by the characters also influence people's opinions. Some people connect with particular themes more than other people and hence find them more impactful. Some can prefer characters with lots of writing while others can prefer characters with less writing but who are well executed. Etc

Reminder, "depth", nuance, and complexity or writing with extensive layers, and being well-written are not inherently the same thing.
That isn't mutually exclusive.

You could have the most shallow ************ ever to grace pen to paper and still be extremely well-written depending on how they're used or a character who's extremely nuanced with layers of depth, and be pretty mediocre all things considered.

What makes a character good has a lot more, or sometimes a lot less to it, but it's also completely subjective and is something that can't be evaluated in hard fact or "right" and "wrong".
elden-ring-albinauric_1.gif

unless you're me
also put Vampire Hunter D and DCAU Batman in whatever tier they're cooking in atm

Reminder, "depth", nuance, and complexity or writing with extensive layers, and being well-written are not inherently the same thing.
That isn't mutually exclusive.

You could have the most shallow ************ ever to grace pen to paper and still be extremely well-written depending on how they're used or a character who's extremely nuanced with layers of depth, and be pretty mediocre all things considered.

What makes a character good has a lot more, or sometimes a lot less to it, but it's also completely subjective and is something that can't be evaluated in hard fact or "right" and "wrong".
elden-ring-albinauric_1.gif

unless you're me
also put Vampire Hunter D and DCAU Batman in whatever tier they're cooking in atm
You may wanna check out the new version of this thread that actually has a list of 5 spots for each tier

A character with well fleshed out and complex emotions as well as proper development well developed motivations and goals good symbolism and character dynamics will always objectively be better written than a character who lacks these aspects

What's subjective is which character you prefer and which style of writing and type of development you like
Counterpoint:
76a12c2983f2a2c1edf1747e24988959.jpg

It was gonna happen but then some IRL shit happened which delayed it. I don't even think the doc I made is sufficient to communicate my love for the series anyway. So I might just have to rewrite it completely.
We will be awaiting it's release.🙏

Whenever someone tells me that something like this is objective, that some characters are objectively better written than others, I always ask this question:

Okay, sure, let's go with that... Who decides which character is objectively better?

The question you should be asking is based on what criteria did the person in question use to determine the better written character

If it's subject taste, sure

It'll it's based on what I provided above and given he also provides a reasonable explanation as to why the other character is better written then yes, that's what we call objectivity

It's hard to write a well written character and it takes a lot of hard work and effort to actually make one, for you to bleive that "it doesn't matter that's all subjective" is kind of insulting the author's efforts although I'm sure you didn't really mean it that way

The question you should be asking is based on what criteria did the person in question use to determine the better written character

If it's subject taste, sure

It'll it's based on what I provided above and given he also provides a reasonable explanation as to why the other character is better written then yes, that's what we call objectivity
The issue is you can't really measure any of the categories that you think constitute "good writing". You can (possibly) measure the amount of writing a character has but you can't objectively argue which one is better executed.

And I don't think I need to explain why more writing doesn't equate to better writing. Of course, to a certain extent we can tell which thing is better written. Like Guts from Berserk is obviously better than Kazuya from rent a girlfriend. But once it reaches the "yeah this character is well written" category it's nigh impossible to make any further objective comparisons. Things like "Thorfinn is objectively better than Guts" are just delusional egoistic ramblings.

It's hard to write a well written character and it takes a lot of hard work and effort to actually make one, for you to bleive that "it doesn't matter that's all subjective" is kind of insulting the author's efforts although I'm sure you didn't really mean it that way
Idk man thinking you can quantify good writing insults the whole art of writing.

The post (jokingly) gave reasons as to why he likes Ed more what more do you want from him 😭
I tought he was being serious tho...

Well I just woke and I'm sleep deprived so take my pathetic excuses as I am embarrassed and please accept my apologies

The issue is you can't really measure any of the categories that you think constitute "good writing". You can (possibly) measure the amount of writing a character has but you can't objectively argue which one is better executed.

And I don't think I need to explain why more writing doesn't equate to better writing. Of course, to a certain extent we can tell which thing is better written. Like Guts from Berserk is obviously better than Kazuya from rent a girlfriend. But once it reaches the "yeah this character is well written" category it's nigh impossible to make any further objective comparisons. Things like "Thorfinn is objectively better than Guts" are just delusional egoistic ramblings.
And I can't agree more

That's literally what I've been trying to say

I thought Eren was good before his conclusion but I need to reread AOT to form a better opinion since it has been a long time

Back