• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Top 5 Best Written Characters for Every Tier

Veloxt1r0kore said:
Seeing your post make me feels bad for Byleth due of massive backlash she had, f*** that toxic smash fans

Anyway thanks that Ion is out from this thread so we can nominate BnHA here ngoahahahaha
....They're not toxic just because most of them didn't like Byleth being brought in instead of someone else.

Schnee One said:
Veloxt1r0kore said:
Seeing your post make me feels bad for Byleth due of massive backlash she had, f*** that toxic smash fans

Anyway thanks that Ion is out from this thread so we can nominate BnHA here ngoahahahaha
....They're not toxic just because most of them didn't like Byleth being brought in instead of someone else.
No they're toxic because they threw a fit over it too kek

Do it or simple ignore them. Without reasons and explanaination the nominations are null and have no backing.

Why my post is deleted? I'm not even nominating a single characters.....yet

And if its because derailing then its not, like seriously i just give my thought and kind of replying to Yobo post above

Again, I think Kryte should be put up. Initially coming into the crew he is the classic subservient Android; but as the series moves on he becomes far more developed, following the (then not too overdone) storyline of a being made to serve that begins to break its own programming, however doing it the red dwarf way by parodying and satirising the genre whilst also genuinely giving heartfelt moments. Take "Camille", "DNA", "The Last Day" hell even "Krysis" or "Siliconia" (and those are only episodes that revolves around him that I could name on the top of my head The Inquisitor's episode does heavily into his development and character) all which explore different parts of his personality and his development in literally gaining flaws, and a character in general. He goes from being Rimmer's personal assistant, to easily the most competent member of the red dwarf, the science officer, and an actually fully fledged human being. This development facilitates episodes that are still considered British classics, and further what I believe to be the positive nihilistic tone of the show. In his first appearances he is a butler robot with effectively no personality, who has literally continued to serve his crew even 3 million years after their death because he was programmed not to realise, as well as not being scared of death (which occurs after he is given a replacement, so the company that created him can continue selling robots) because he believes in "silicon heaven" where all mechanical devices end up after they die. And then while on the red dwarf, Dave Lister teaches him to lie, cheat, insult his superiors and engage in "deadpan mode"- and I could write far more explaining how red dwarf constantly tells the idea of fundamental, universal meaning to shove it (silicon heaven to start with) but in the end Kryten shows how meaning can be created even in a device that isn't human in a godless, extinct galaxy can still find meaning, in interpersonal relationships. Sounds a bit soppy yes, and the show makes fun of this quite a lot to be fair (though not in a insecure way that is seen quite a lot nowadays, it more comes from being one of the first large parodies of the sci fi genre). Also Kryten's character ties into a lot of satire that actually reminds me of Marvin from HGTTG in that he is a supergenius robot (who also has knowledge on all cosmic phenomena and nanobots that can turn a spaceship into a planet and restructure things at a subatomic level) who is just made to engage in trivial activities, his actual field being that of a toilet droid.

Anyway, might give a longer and better laid out analysis later if this doesn't suffice, I'm just fatigued and sick at the moment.

number 1 for 7-C would be Gaunter O'Dimm

Not only is he so well written as a antagonist that in fact he might sometimes not even be considered one

He does what people ask him to do, he is there to reflect their evil deeds and get his payment nothing more, nothing less

He can be a good guy or bad guy

and you can't do shit about it because he'll just spoon you, Literally

He is godlike and he wasn't defeated by fighting but by playing his own game

I'm actually just having a brief summary because gaunter might be one of the most well written antagonists in fiction

ThaTSayMarine said:
number 1 for 7-C would be Gaunter O'Dimm
Not only is he so well written as a antagonist that in fact he might sometimes not even be considered one

He does what people ask him to do, he is there to reflect their evil deeds and get his payment nothing more, nothing less

He can be a good guy or bad guy

and you can't do shit about it because he'll just spoon you, Literally

He is godlike and he wasn't defeated by fighting but by playing his own game

I'm actually just having a brief summary because gaunter might be one of the most well written antagonists in fiction
If we're putting Gaunter here, we should put Randall Flag for 9-B

I'll like to elect Ellen Ripley for 10-A; she went through literal hell and back moreover she has had to make some tough decisions in order to find a way to "survive" against the Xenomorphs not to mention the very human (fight or flight) response in the face of insurmountable odds while in the dead of space only makes her more relatable as a protagonist.

Plus the scene where she fought the queen as well as saved the child (and her cat) despite seeing all manor of grotesque and horrifying "events" only shows off her resolve imo!.

Well, since Shake mentioned Spider-Man, I guess it's time for me to bring best engineer Iron Ma for the High 6-A spot:

I can create a world without war. I can make a world without alcohol or drugs. Without hate or jealousy. But then it wouldn't be the world we live in. Nothing would be learned, nothing would be gained. We wouldn't advance as species.
~ Avengers Vol 4 #12​
Anthony Edward Stark is, for the lack of a better word, complicated. During his early days of success, Stark was a man who only cared about fame and wealth. He had no sense of responsibility or humility, always rubbing his success in the faces of everyone he met. This all changed when he was captured by terrorists. After building the first Iron Man armor and escaping captivity, Stark had realized the kind of person he really was and engaged in a life of heroism to atone for his past mistakes.

Plagued by many vices, Stark is prone to womanizing, pride, and most of all -alcoholism- the latter being an addiction developed as a consequence of the abuse from his father and his social status. This lifetime of troubles has caused him to develop a cynical view of the world.

Despite this, Stark is devoted to truly make the world a better place. This desire has sometimes caused Stark to resort to morally questionable methods, as long as the end justifies them, including his crusade to safeguard his technology (leading him to confront heroes such as Stingray and the Captain), and the superhuman Civil War, during which Iron Man was hell bent on implementing the Superhuman Registration Act, because its failure would have led to a harsh response from the government. However, Iron Man has shown to be ridden by guilt over this type of course of action, which developed into self-hate. Tony Stark has been described as "man enough to do what needs to be done, even knowing full well what it will cost him." Stark's self-hating tendencies have also led to Stark being suicidal, and undervaluing his own life, specially in favor of others'.

According to Reed Richards, Tony Stark is "a future man trapped in the now. A prisoner raging against the slow crawl of human evolution." Stark's relationships, morality and ethics are highly adaptable and malleable to what he would consider the greater good of mankind's necessary survival and progress. Tony has also been described as "[A person who] really cares. He's been on the top and he's been on the bottom and he's done all 12 steps and a few more. He knows what it's like to have a habit that eats you from the inside, like worms. And he knows there's no easy answer, but every solution to every problem has to start somewhere. He's just trying to help."

Tony has also been shown to loathe taking other people's lives, and resorting to killing people only as a extreme measure, and explicitly stating he doesn't kill, and having claimed that's "not the way we work."

A Genius, billionaire, playboy, philantophist, pseudo-nihilistic with bad habits of arrogancy, alcoholism and egoism. But at the end, however, he is a hero, who will risk his life to save others, and will do whatever it takes to protect the universe from threats, even if that means dehumanization.

Everything I've done, everything I'll do today, everything I'll ever do, I do to protect this world. [...] When I put on this armor, I took on more power than any human was ever intended to have... and maybe more responsibility than my heart can truly bear. But today... I will do my job. I will protect you. No matter what it takes...
~ Invincible Iron Man Vol 1 #19​

SpookyShadow said:
Ezio Auditore da Firenze for 9-A
I really can't think of a better written character. The 3 games were telling his life, and through his entire life he was turning slowly from a young womanizer to a man of such wisdom and experience as his life was progressing and after his tragedy turned into light. I learnt more about life and philosophy from this fictional character than school has ever taught me tbh.
NGL, I agree. I don't think there are a lot of characters that are as detailed as him.

i vote lucifer morning star for the best writen 1-A charater

his entire arc led him through many different stages

at first his charater was rebeliuse his want for true freedom from the presence's control lead him on a dark path killing his commrades his brothers and leading to his banishment to hell and becomeing the devil

then he went on to achive somthing he thought would free him of presence that being the creation of his own universe of his own god hood but he did not want to be like his father so he did not want his creations to ever worship him

and then it all lead to a realisation that no matter what he dose he will not be free as everything seems to be a part of somthing greater with even his all powerful father being a creation of somthing greater

that realisation led him to a form of exeptence as he began to travel the over void finnally letting go in a way.

overall lucifer is a highly complicated charater that had one hell of a journey to go through

I vote Doctor Manhattan for Low 1-C

Starting from his character, it all links back to his interest in fixing watches, admiring and observing how all the little parts work together to perform functions. This ironically results in his death, with him accidentally leaving a watch he had fixed for his partner in an atomizer, causing him to be deconstructed. He comes back as Doctor Manhattan, now with the power to rearrange atoms and particles, but ironically his previous appreciation for how the little things work becomes the source of his apathy. Due to his godlike status he cannot connect with or empathize with humans as he once could. He's a materliist Nihilist who sees humans as small ants, considering the many natural effects of mars to be far more interesting than human life. Even when he does come to give into the value of humans, he leaves the earth for they have become far too complicated for him.

Furthermore, the story which he is in constantly switches between past and present and character perspectives, much like how he sees his own life. Past, Present, and Future, he experiences it all at once. He does not see himself as a god, but he simply knows the script of the world and how it will play out, further giving into his nihilistic idealogy, for his own actions are meaningless in the end, for he is just walking to a predestined future. The only time we see him take a stand and give into Laurie's pleading, is when the Tachyons prevent him from seeing the future. His motivation is he simply does not have one, and follows along with the strings that guide his actions.

He's alot like Shin Godzilla in that, he was once a small fish in a small pond, that suddenly became way too large for it.

Im not gonna use Doomsday Clock for any further justification, because Doomsday Clock ******* sucks.

SCP-3812 for 1-A

Sure he may be just another "My character is the strongest" type of character at first glance, but when you read his article on the SCP Foundation site, he is probably one of the most well written SCPs of all-time, and one of the most well written characters that was introduced on the internet.

He is very interesting, while he's the most powerful SCP..His origins aren't the cliché powerful entity origin such as emerging from a void or summoned through a ritual. SCP-3812 began his life as just a man named Sam Howell who was an non-anomalous man originating from Africa. However, he died in 1996 until a shadowy figure emerged from his grave.

SCP-3812 also has some sort of personality disorder as he's implied to talk to himself on numerous occasions. His power level is very well-defined to the point it blows my mind, like Azathoth (Cthulhu Mythos). He transcends narratives on an infinite scale, and sees the entire SCP Universe as Fiction. SCP-3812's page on the wiki implies that the real world is far more powerful than the SCP Universe, as we see the SCP Foundation as just fiction. And so does SCP-3812. Its like he's a real life person pulling the strings of his story, and making Mongolia disappear like he pressed Alt-Delete on it, just for Mongolia to return as if SCP-3812 pressed the revert button.

Kudos to the author of SCP-3812.

Invisible Drago deserves a spot for Low 2-C, he is arguably the best written parodic character in a long time.

Not only his story is perfectly from point B (ID is bullied by Colbob) to point E (ID kills Colbob while dying too), his tale is an absolute deconstruction of shounen and wuxia genrens of he-to-toes, from thei maddening collateral damage, the arrogant behavior and the grossly exaggerated, never-ending, over-escalating power of the protagonists, all in one of the best pieces of self-published literature in Korea.

Newendigo said:
Invisible Drago deserves a spot for Low 2-C, he is arguably the best written parodic character in a long time.
Not only his story is perfectly from point B (ID is bullied by Colbob) to point E (ID kills Colbob while dying too), his tale is an absolute deconstruction of shounen and wuxia genrens of he-to-toes, from thei maddening collateral damage, the arrogant behavior and the grossly exaggerated, never-ending, over-escalating power of the protagonists, all in one of the best pieces of self-published literature in Korea.
Hold up I thought this got removed along time ago XD

Sinbad from magi for 6-B or low 1-C

Seeing his rise and fall (and subsequent rise again to godhood) was one of the most amazing things that I have ever read, and the twist that he found a way to just swap places with gods on the infinite chain list of them, and his tug-of-war with David over the sacred palace was also amazing.

Hold up I thought this got removed along time ago XD

He's back. In the same vain, Heir to The Stars can be seen as a deconstruction of the Fate/ series, showing what would happen if the "invincible" powers lived up to the hype, as well a mocking it's descriptions with absurd amounts of flowery language, all in the similar package of a sort of tournament. Unfortunately, I would need to read more of it to see if anyone in particular scales or contributes to this interesting concept.

Lucifer Morningstar for 1-A. I think Mike Carey's portrayal of Lucifer is the greatest portrayal of the Devil in any medium. A highly complex character with insane power, Lucifer is one of the greatest things to come out of Vertigo alongside The Sandman, Fables, and Preacher.

The Thought Robot for 1-A. The archetype of Superman in its purest form was exceptionally well-written by Morrison, and made me love the character of Superman even more.

Batma for 9-A, and I think he's better written than Ezio. Hush, Long Halloween, Death in the Family, Knightfall, etc. The list goes on.

Wonder Woma for 4-B. I mean, I really can't think of any other female character in fiction that is as well-written as her, thanks to the writing from both George Perez and Greg Rucka. She's an iconic symbol for feminism for a reason.

Rorschach for 9-C. His brutality and his uncompromising morality makes him an extremely interesting character to read, even if Alan Moore's purpose was to create someone you would never want to meet ever.

Funny Valentine for 10-A. I personally think Funny is the greatest JoJo villain ever. He's different from the other villains because he is driven by his undying patriotism and love for his country. "My heart and actions are utterly unclouded. They are those of "Justice." He's proud of everything he's done, and he does it without hesitation because it's for the greater good, and it's not some saying either, he literally would've made America great if he had won. While reading Part 7 I admired Valentine far more than even Johnny and Gyro, who are also exceptionally well written and probably the most well written JoJo and JoBro to date.

Killua Zoldyck for 8-B. I think out of the four main protagonists in Hunter x Hunter, Killua goes through the most meaningful character growth. From a cold assassin whose only purpose in life is to kill, to running away from his overbearing family because he was tired of killing and just wanted friends, to meeting someone who would establish a friendship many of us in the real world can only dream of having, and going to any lengths to protect him and make him happy. Maybe not enough to overtake Zuko but he definitely deserves to be on 8-B for sure.

The Emperor of Mankind for 4-A. Here is a man who is literally great at everything and he takes on the burden of uniting the Imperium of Man. Even if he was an incredibly poor judge of character, his love for humanity and his sacrifice to be interred into the Golden Throne makes him one of the most tragic characters in the entire WH40K setting.

Arthur Morga for 9-B. An outlaw and scumbag changes and strives to be a better man when he finds that he's dying from tuberculosis. Arthur has the greatest character development I've ever seen in a video game protagonist. His regret and his atonement were handled extremely well by Rockstar- like when he saved Edith Downes and her son from a life of poverty and disgrace, him confessing his fear and guilt to a Nun, and of course sacrificing himself to allow John Marston a better life. I never cry when I see video game characters die, but I came damn close when Arthur died. After playing as Arthur for over 50 hours and seeing the changes and development he goes through, losing him felt like losing a friend in real life.

LordUrien935 said:
Funny Valentine for 10-A. I personally think Funny is the greatest JoJo villain ever. He's different from the other villains because he is driven by his undying patriotism and love for his country. "My heart and actions are utterly unclouded. They are those of "Justice." He's proud of everything he's done, and he does it without hesitation because it's for the greater good, and it's not some saying either, he literally would've made America great if he had won. While reading Part 7 I admired Valentine far more than even Johnny and Gyro, who are also exceptionally well written and probably the most well written JoJo and JoBro to date.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHF-kStm8V8

I agree with this

Back