• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Most well written characters for every tier

Pain was a good villian for what type of show he was in

He at least has a reason for what he does and even states exactly why he thinks that way

The speeches he gives are kinda meant to be shallow since he only sees the world one way and justifies all his actions through the hardship he experienced

I'm not saying it's god tier but it's very high up for a Shonen aimed at mostly young teenagers

He's kind of a "baby's first good villian" for most people and that's why people bring him up in debates like this
they literally assassinated when they got naruto to gaslight him into killing himself ans saving konoha

if they guy killed his father figure to show his determination to acheive his goal, making him change his mind half way is stupid and makes jiraiya's death redundant

this is what i remembered happening at least, unless i missed something

The fact the first sentence you said was "they kinda don't" tells me all I need to know.

Any person from any generation can learn and know what makes a character well written.
oh yeah, i never meant "this generation", i meant people in general

i kind of ignored the "kids these days" part

Spider Man but not the old stuff, only the newest stuff, we like that one :)
Hey I'd say 616 Peter for High 8-C if his current comics weren't dogshit, sorry that Spider-Verse Miles is a better overall character who hasn't had his legacy or character flanderised yet :)

Ngl, most of IRL characters are the closest to the real world. Every story even seems real and meangful, with real choises (Something that many authors no days lack guts to do). The written seems real, ya know. They act as real. They choise as a normal person would do.
Not only that, but each character does have a insane develpment that is builded across several years; Some even least more than one hundread

Raiden from Metal Gear franchise, nuff said.

Also, Armstrong.
I think Metal Gear is one of the best written video game franchises of all time but MGRR doesn’t touch the Solid series when it comes to writing, even Raiden is written better in other instalments like MGS2. Armstrong is also definitely a fun memeable villain who has decent motives but compared to other antagonists like Big Boss or the Patriots AI he doesn’t come close to their level.

This thread is inherently flawed in that it aims to create a objective list for something that is heavily subjective. I could find a verse such as, let's say Persona, to have Masterful Writing, but the guy next to me could think it's the worst piece of media he's ever consumed. To be well written is to be a interesting and complex character; But what constitutes as interesting varies from person to person, and where some people can find complexity, other's might see a character as shallow.

The sheer notion of making a Objective List of Character's that are Interesting contradicts with the fundamental idea of what interesting is; To garner intrigue and attention from someone, what interests one person doesn't interest everyone. One Piece may be interesting to many people, but I sure don't plan on watching it.

Personal Bias or Open Mindedness will always affect how we view forms of media, and it will always affect how interesting we find stuff to be. Complexity is often times a subjective thought when applied to a character; Where some people may look at the character of Goku and find a in depth balance of morality and selfishness that dictates his action's, both good and bad, some people might just see him as a guy who likes to Fight.

As such, since there is no proper objective way to gauge such a subjective set of standards, one cannot truly make a proper most well written list of characters that can be generally applied without scuffing it via Personal Biases and Subjectivity.

Anyways, I'm going to ignore everything I just said, I'm thinking of either throwing Roxas or Shirou Emiya here, both have really interesting character's imo, one which delves into question's of existence and what it means to feel emotions and the struggle's behind thinking you don't, and the other going into Ideal's and whether it's ok to sacrifice them, as well as going into Optimism vs Realism, and the many paths even just a single man could take in regards to this (Seeing as there are at least like 5 or so different Emiya's I could talk about if I went down that route, each of them having different point's of view in regards to Their Ideal's).

This thread is inherently flawed in that it aims to create a objective list for something that is heavily subjective. I could find a verse such as, let's say Persona, to have Masterful Writing, but the guy next to me could think it's the worst piece of media he's ever consumed. To be well written is to be a interesting and complex character; But what constitutes as interesting varies from person to person, and where some people can find complexity, other's might see a character as shallow.

The sheer notion of making a Objective List of Character's that are Interesting contradicts with the fundamental idea of what interesting is; To garner intrigue and attention from someone, what interests one person doesn't interest everyone. One Piece may be interesting to many people, but I sure don't plan on watching it.

Personal Bias or Open Mindedness will always affect how we view forms of media, and it will always affect how interesting we find stuff to be. Complexity is often times a subjective thought when applied to a character; Where some people may look at the character of Goku and find a in depth balance of morality and selfishness that dictates his action's, both good and bad, some people might just see him as a guy who likes to Fight.

As such, since there is no proper objective way to gauge such a subjective set of standards, one cannot truly make a proper most well written list of characters that can be generally applied without scuffing it via Personal Biases and Subjectivity.

Anyways, I'm going to ignore everything I just said, I'm thinking of either throwing Roxas or Shirou Emiya here, both have really interesting character's imo, one which delves into question's of existence and what it means to feel emotions and the struggle's behind thinking you don't, and the other going into Ideal's and whether it's ok to sacrifice them, as well as going into Optimism vs Realism, and the many paths even just a single man could take in regards to this (Seeing as there are at least like 5 or so different Emiya's I could talk about if I went down that route, each of them having different point's of view in regards to Their Ideal's).
you were making great points and then you suggested ******* Kingdom Hearts

I fully agree on the Shirou pick. I’ve only just started the Kingdom Hearts series though so I can’t speak on Roxas
WG7AAVCVkpbm_qxrxNErouv-JoEl2PUnyD7Hg4CPshg.jpg

🤡 /j

If we've gotta make a new version of this thread so we can actually have the list for each tier much like with other competitions like this, I'm immediately copy-pasting my mini-essay on Pyra and Mythra

Making a list is kinda impossible because this is something that can't be evaluated (relatively) objectively unlike powerscaling. You can post essays to justify why you think someone is a good character but there's really no debates/discussions to be had tbh. Everyone has their own picks and opinions.

Making a list is kinda impossible because this is something that can't be evaluated (relatively) objectively unlike powerscaling. You can post essays to justify why you think someone is a good character but there's really no debates/discussions to be had tbh. Everyone has their own picks and opinions.
True, but you could make it an unordered list of just a bunch of characters that seem reasonable based on what's explained

Considering how this thread's already gone, I agree.

True, but you could make it an unordered list of just a bunch of characters that seem reasonable based on what's explained
That's understandable but a summarization can never truly capture the actual execution of a character. A character can sound simple/shallow from a description but can still have excellent execution. So idk if that's the way to go.

That's understandable but a summarization can never truly capture the actual execution of a character. A character can sound simple/shallow from a description but can still have excellent execution. So idk if that's the way to go.
Yeah that's also true, really it'd end up coming down to whether or not the one who creates the list finds it reasonable, which can lead to bias

Personally though I'd prefer having a list over not having one

Maybe people could also come to a consensus on whether or not a character could fit into the list for a tier, though unlike with regular CRTs, staff wouldn't have greater weight on the matter. It'd just be a simple majority thing

Make a voting.

Back