• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Most well written characters for every tier

I think there's a massive gap between artful and good writing and writing that will appeal to the largest mass of people. The same goes for literally anything- the most played video games are those most easily replicated year after year, pop music steadily becomes simpler and less careful as time goes on, etc. WWE feeds the Lowest Common Denominator of people. And that's... fine? Someone has to, after all, but I think you have to be pretty daft to say "this is as good as writing gets- weekly arbitrary relationship changes with forced fights and hammy acting".

I don't like most of what would probably be the best written material of all time, and our wiki doesn't index it for the most part. But I can say with confidence that Samuel Vimes is at least in the conversation.
well, "cliches" exist because people like and enjoy such concepts

most of them are wish fulfillment and escapist fantasies, but there’s only so many times i can watch black hair isekai protagonist #267 turn his enemies into a red spray of mist while the enemies deny or gasp in awe of his power.anime is stagnant because ideas aren’t allowed to float around and most goe trough the "safe" route, so nothing exceptional comes out of the mix

well, "cliches" exist because people like and enjoy such concepts

most of them are wish fulfillment and escapist fantasies, but there’s only so many times i can watch black hair isekai protagonist #248 turn his enemies into a red spray of mist while the enemies deny or gasp in awe of his power.anime is stagnant because ideas aren’t allowed to float around and most goe trough the "safe" route, so nothing exceptional comes out of the mix
I agree, but that's not really counter to my point. I'm saying it's pretty hard to be the best written piece of fiction when all you're doing is picking the elements that literally any given person is going to be able to follow, understand, and find joy in. Broad appeal doesn't equate to masterpiece status, is basically my thinking, so saying "d'oh well it's popular so it must be very good" is- well, it's just a very silly statement.

I agree, but that's not really counter to my point. I'm saying it's pretty hard to be the best written piece of fiction when all you're doing is picking the elements that literally any given person is going to be able to follow, understand, and find joy in. Broad appeal doesn't equate to masterpiece status, is basically my thinking, so saying "d'oh well it's popular so it must be very good" is- well, it's just a very silly statement.
well, that i can agree on

but everyone who says "this anime that i just watched is peak fiction" is automatically registered as a 14 year old in my mind

I mean, there's these videos that analyse WWE writting, and it seems pretty decent

is it your opinion that having a youtuber speak on the matter makes it the best writing ever achieved by man, sir

I mean, that's inevitable if you're going to gush over how great they are.
just do it
WELP! Y'all asked for it. Major spoilers for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and its prequel Torna: The Golden Country ahead.

So, what makes Pyra and Mythra so well-written? There's a lot to go through. To me, they're so compelling because of how their characters evolve throughout Xenoblade 2. I'm gonna start with the game's prequel, called Torna: The Golden Country, because it's very important. Despite her unwavering confidence in herself, and despite the fact that her friends at the time cared about her, she's the butt of everyone's jokes to the point that it was pretty rough on her. That's not much on it's own but... It only got worse for her. Seeing one of her closest friends killed drove her to the point of going berserk. While she defeated her enemy in the process, it also resulted in her annihilating three entire nations, killing tons of people, including some of her own friends. And in the end, even her own Driver, Addam, feared her power. The resulting trauma from this entire sequence was too much for her to bear, leading her to creating another "self" that was everything she wasn't: Pyra. Mythra was headstrong, Pyra was sweet. Mythra couldn't cook, Pyra was an exceptional cook. Pyra was made to be everything Mythra wasn't. Afterwards, Pyra would seal herself away, as both she and Mythra believed themselves to be a danger to everyone. 500 years pass, and the events of Xenoblade 2 come into play. Pyra is unsealed, and she asks the protagonist Rex to bring her to a place called Elysium for then-unknown reasons. All the while, she still bears the guilt, regret, and fear Mythra carried for the harm she caused to everyone. Mythra eventually reawakens, and she's far more standoffish and defensive than before. It's revealed she awakened because she too wanted to protect Rex, but at the same time, her personality change stems from another feeling of hers. She doesn't want anyone to get close to her. She doesn't want to hurt anyone again. And Pyra shares the same sentiment, and thus we get into why they want to go to Elysium: to beg their creator to let them die. Their guilt, regret, and fear are so great that they believe they'd be better off dead so as to not be a danger to anyone else. But what they didn't expect was someone like Rex, who cared for them wholeheartedly. None of that butt of the joke shit from before. No fear for the power they carry. He accepted them in their entirety. The people they were, the power they wielded, and the fear they carried. This marks the turning point, where both Pyra and Mythra are able to truly open their hearts to him, because of this. This can be seen in how they act after this turning point. They're far more open than before, rather than keeping themselves closed off, and they - above all else - desire to live on now. This comes to a head near the end of the game, where they're forced to sacrifice themselves to save everyone. But as the credits roll, the lyrics of the ending song convey their remaining inner desire to live on, as they beg their creator to grant them one more chance at life. And it's granted to them, as they're resurrected, brought back as two separate people now instead of two souls in the same body.

I don't give af about popularity. I care for quality, and I gave a full on explanation as to why Roman's character is amazing.

And while popular =/= good, the fact that Pro Wrestling is something that's been around for literal decades and is still popular to this day says a lot.

You don't stay popular for 40+ years just by being ass.

If someone hasn't already done it I suggest Meruem for High 7-C
The character development he goes through in the span of a single arc is simply unmatched

Similarly Killua for 8-A also seems like a contender but I will admit Guts is also a contender

I mean, there's these videos that analyse WWE writting, and it seems pretty decent

☝️People who actually get pro wrestling.

Never really watched the WWE as I couldn't find what's fun about a bunch of naked men beating each other up
Never understood why people unironically think like this.

This is like if I said MHA is just "Kid who cries a lot wants to become hero". This is an extremely dumbed down way of explaining it when there's so much more to it.

Yes. If you want to dumb it down, WWE (or Pro Wrestling) are a bunch of "naked" men and women beating each other up, but if you were to actually look deeper into it and not give surface level judgments, you'd realize it's much more than that.

Y'all told me to go ahead and gush about my favorite characters yet now that I did, no one gives a shit, aight I see how it is 🗿

Edit: Don't take this seriously please, my description is pretty spoiler heavy so I'd actually advise anyone interested in the Xenoblade series to not look at it

I don't know if he's the best character in his tier or anything but I really like the character Spike Spiegel.
To add to this without really getting into spoilers for the show, he has a perfect mix of comedic and serious moments, and he's not extremely hung up on revenge for the tragic events in his past like some characters can be, and is pretty caring and deep at times.
I'd explain more but I doubt anyone gives a ****, just wanted to say it cause I love the characters from that anime.

Y'all told me to go ahead and gush about my favorite characters yet now that I did, no one gives a shit, aight I see how it is 🗿

Edit: Don't take this seriously please, my description is pretty spoiler heavy so I'd actually advise anyone interested in the Xenoblade series to not look at it
I honestly had a lot of fun looking back at all of The Bloodline segments to make my essay for Roman.

Discussing it with people on a forum site is just a nice perk that comes with it.

I don't give af about popularity. I care for quality, and I gave a full on explanation as to why Roman's character is amazing.

And while popular =/= good, the fact that Pro Wrestling is something that's been around for literal decades and is still popular to this day says a lot.

I mean like

you keep saying you don't care about popularity, and then keep appealing to how it's popular for a long time so it must be super duper good lol

let it be known that on this day in July of 2023, the barbarous Pizza Tower fans and the epic plus very cool Dark Souls enjoyers agreed on a game being good
Minor spelling mistake moment.
Also Pizza Tower is dead as a verse what beef could you possibly have with it 😭

Be glad that you may never know; he is a form of potent psychic poison, I believe

Minor spelling mistake moment.
Also Pizza Tower is dead as a verse what beef could you possibly have with it 😭
also, it's killing me, where's the spelling mistake lol

I forgot there's no i in barbarous but I'll pretend there is because it's funnier to assume you made a spelling mistake.
See I was fully willing to accept I had, I'm wearing gloves and I'm ass at typing on phone to begin with. validatin' to know I'm right again, though

My dumbass spoils my self on stuff I'm about to watch/read/play anyway.
Though I'm not really interested in playing Xenoblade so..

☝️People who actually get pro wrestling.

Never understood why people unironically think like this.

This is like if I said MHA is just "Kid who cries a lot wants to become hero". This is an extremely dumbed down way of explaining it when there's so much more to it.

Yes. If you want to dumb it down, WWE (or Pro Wrestling) are a bunch of "naked" men and women beating each other up, but if you were to actually look deeper into it and not give surface level judgments, you'd realize it's much more than that.
that was a joke.....

i just did not watch it because i prefered cartoons and anime

if criticise something i'd usually give reasons unless it's just not compatible with me, like one peice with it's ******** art style and shit character designs

if a series has been popluar for a long times then chances are it is indeed well written, or at least enjoyable enough

but idk, i never really watched WWE to judge

i wrote a 2000+ word character analysis on kokushibo and no one gave a shit

you only wrote 500

my pain is far greater than yours

Mr. Glass for 10-C, he's incredibly captivating and tragic along with being one of Samuel Jackson's best performances

Solid Snake for 8-B, I always appreciate characters who are altruistic and fight for the right to live, Snake's progression from a soldier who doesn't care about himself or what war does to him or anyone else to a philanthrope using his body as a weapon of war to end wars is one of the best arcs in gaming in my opinion.

Miles Morales Spider-Man from the Spider-Verse films for High 8-C, I've never found myself rooting for a superhero so much in a movie in a while, Miles' story of fighting against what's expected of him and his life is only part of the reason why the Spider-Verse movies are up there as some of the best in the superhero genre.

Last edited:
I mean like

you keep saying you don't care about popularity, and then keep appealing to how it's popular for a long time so it must be super duper good lol
I made an entire essay as to why Roman's character is amazing from a quality perspective

I mention the fact that Pro Wrestling's been relevant for over 4 decades because if you're still a popular franchise for that ******* long, you have to be doing something right.

Dropping over 40 years of straight trash and remaining popular is virtually unheard of. If a show, or any piece of media becomes popular, chances are that there's a large group of people who see value in the product, or find it a lot of fun to watch or play it.

Do you think shows like The Simpsons, Family Guy or Spongebob Squarepants are still popular over 2 decades later because they were ass?

That's when popularity somewhat plays a factor in determining a show's quality.

Back