• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Monster Hunter General Discussion Thread.

Also would it be worth it to look at Amatsu's storm creation feats? I figure there's a chance it won't extend beyond what we got via Kushala Daora

Also in the Shen Gaoren's twitter thread from BannedLagiacrus it's compared to Lao-Shan Lung when it comes to its immense strength iirc, so if we could figure out a power level for one or the other, the two would possibly scale to each other

I will say, I didn't raise a fuss about Dalamadur's justification using something similar (Since they are utterly gigantic to a similar degree as Zorah Magdaros and shouldn't be much weaker than them), I do want to be wary about using item descriptions like that...

...these descriptions should be taken with a grain of salt
Yeah, I'm 100% in the camp of being extremely skeptical about item descriptions unless they directly support something you've already seen the monster do or outright be said to do. Because, like... you're never gonna see an Elder Dragon just flex and blow up a country or rip a hole in heaven, because that just isn't how this series works. At most you get atmospheric effects over a wide range because they're easy to render and visually impressive, but those are frankly window dressing from the standpoint of actual gameplay.

What we saw Fatalis and Safi'jiiva do in Iceborne is probably the limit of what we'll get from outright attacks, unless we someday get an elder dragon that obliterates an entire mountain in seconds in similar fashion that Shara does or something. A monster really just has to be able to wipe out, like, a city block's worth of space to be a threat to entire settlements and civilizations, from a logical standpoint.

First, Tetranadon. Here at 10:58, and this video here both showcase the rock throw from Tetranadon.

Next, if we're gonna take a serious look at it, this is the best video I can immediately find for Agnaktor reheating the magma/lava armor. If we are taking this as a serious feat, either it utilizes mohorovicic discontinuity or it moves at such speed that the friction underground converts the hardened magma to a softer/more liquid state

Additionally, found another feat! This one is from a Frontier monster, Taikun Zamuza, where it Shatters the entire floor of the cave it is standing in with one strike. It does this twice in the video. It also has a twitter thread made by Banned Lagiacrus, but it doesn't seem to directly be compared to any monsters. The only things I can gather is that it primarily exists in the Tide Islands, which is mostly populated by lower-tier monsters of MH. Additionally, Abiorudu is mentioned, but no direct comparison is made? I'd still say it's at least comparable to the other low-tiers. It's stated in the twitter thread that the floors it destroys for cave-ins are "relatively thin", so there is also that.

Will look for more later
As per this since I am on my computer and going into calc mode

For the first one, what's Tetranadon's height? It's probably not going to be as (or at least, more) impressive than Tetsucabra's feat but I may as well

the second one, yeah it's probably just a meme calc but it's a meme calc I will find funny so I'll absolutely do it

It seems hard to really get a solid grasp on the dimensions of the cave there due to the angle, like, width will be fine, thickness of the ground I can assume, but the length between the edges is going to take some fandangling

Tetranodon's most common length is 1,061.49 cm. This is reflected in all of its quests and should be the length should an official length comparison come out.

That's quite unusual. It's a possible size in-game but is on the lower range of sizes, seemingly picked from the batch at random. If that's the official number, then that's the official number, I guess.

Another noteworthy thing is that the monster sizes are only accurate so far as the model is stretched to its farthest point and is often not reflected in how the monster is typically moving around in-game.

That's quite unusual. It's a possible size in-game but is on the lower range of sizes, seemingly picked from the batch at random. If that's the official number, then that's the official number, I guess.
A frustrating thing about these threads is just the fact that, even if they have citations, they're just really hard to access and verify properly, even if they're more than likely accurate

Also question, how does one actually go about trying to get a verse set up on this site? When I finish Bug Fables I wanna try and get it put on here

also yes this is my current hyperfixation

Just sorta make the pages

If it's like one or two you can get away without a verse page but generally you want one of those

Damn didn't know you can just do it like that lmao

Guess it's time to figure out how to actually make stuff on this site

I'm pretty skeptical about using sizes for when monsters aren't fully stretched out, and the Tetranodon calc is a lot higher than it should be just because upright standing Tetra is much shorter (~2/3) than the full stretched length. Tetsucabra's boulder is actually much larger than the numbers used in this calc, so it should provide interesting results when updated.

I'm pretty skeptical about using sizes for when monsters aren't fully stretched out, and the Tetranodon calc is a lot higher than it should be just because upright standing Tetra is much shorter (~2/3) than the full stretched length. Tetsucabra's boulder is actually much larger than the numbers used in this calc, so it should provide interesting results when updated.
Their body shouldn't really just become larger just because they're on all 4s, logically they'd be as tall as they are long on the ground (unless they just shift their skeletal structure when they're like that)

There is, but I couldn't easily find a way to measure the big boulder Tetsucabra pulls up so if anything I'll just record and calculate that myself

Their body shouldn't really just become larger just because they're on all 4s, logically they'd be as tall as they are long on the ground (unless they just shift their skeletal structure when they're like that)
The in-game size values are taken from the absolute maximum length you can draw a line between two points when the monster models are t-pose stretched, not how long they actually are in-game, in neutral position or otherwise. It's why you get stuff like Cortos being 21 feet long but clearly being... not. This is what I'm talking about. Depending on a monster's posture, it is different in "length" than the values you get from in-game listings.
There is, but I couldn't easily find a way to measure the big boulder Tetsucabra pulls up so if anything I'll just record and calculate that myself
I was just talking about Bambu's original calc; in it, there is a calculation error that uses the sphere volume formula incorrectly somehow, since the volume you get when you actually plug in the given numbers is different from the volume he comes out with.

Last edited:
In terms of measuring sizes in-game, I'm more of the belief that we should use fully-upright standing hunters as a standard of measurement, either with VSBattles standard human height values, or 1.75 meters from official size videos and a sprint speed of 7.5 m/s.

The in-game size values are taken from the absolute maximum length you can draw a line between two points when the monster models are t-pose stretched, not how long they actually are in-game, in neutral position or otherwise. It's why you get stuff like Mosswine being 7 feet long or Girros being supposedly 19 feet long (585.18 cm) but clearly being... not. This is what I'm talking about. Depending on a monster's posture, it is different in "length" than the values you get from in-game listings.
even if so, they do have their head straight up in the part I measured, so that would mitigate it a bit (as opposed to measuring a quadruped from dislocated foot to dislocated foot)
I was just talking about Bambu's original calc; in it, there is a calculation error that uses the sphere volume formula incorrectly somehow, since the volume you get when you actually plug in the given numbers is different from the volume he comes out with.
You probably forgot to divide the diameter in half to get radius (and even then, going off the screenshot that seems a bit strange to me)

even if so, they do have their head straight up in the part I measured, so that would mitigate it a bit (as opposed to measuring a quadruped from dislocated foot to dislocated foot)
My original ~2/3 statement already took into account how the Tetranodon had its head upward. I was just talking about the lack of accuracy monster size lengths have in-game for calculations. The official numbers simply don't line up with the size of the lines of these screencaps.

You probably forgot to divide the diameter in half to get radius (and even then, going off the screenshot that seems a bit strange to me)
I did not forget to divide it. The formula is this: 4/3*pi*(283.946/2)^3 = 11986872.5446 cm^3, if volume of a sphere is used. A whole ten times larger than the one Bambu said it was. Not sure where the difference happened in Bambu's original statement since he didn't provide the between-steps, but that's just what the facts are here, going by that screenshot (which your calculation uses). Also, one cubic meter is, like, shorter than a human, so it's not hard to see which is a more fitting number.

Last edited:
they did actually just not apply radius correctly

they then go onto the barroth calc and half it before even showing the proper diameter numbers

this reminds me of how Chrono Trigger was 5-A from a mountain being the size of the moon and even I didn't notice for like, years, until I played the game myself and took a closer look followed by "wait a second what in the"

anyways me slowly realizing my mind will collapse inonitself any day now aside, yeah I changed it

I think I got what I need to now start doing some really basic Bug Fables calcs, since I JUST managed to find a size for all the protagonists and can now pixel measure whatever I need to lmao

SO I know this is an MH discussion thread, but there is something I'm wondering and would like other people's thoughts on it. Mothiva, in this fight, sings in order to attack you and I was wondering if this would be considered a sound based attack or not. Fairly certain it's not magic, since in-universe magic is super rare with less than ten bugs in this world's history being known magic users, and Mothiva is never noted to be a magic user. So basically my question is, would it be reasonable to consider her singing attacks sound based/speed of sound or no?

EDIT: Either way, Zasp in this same fight moves faster than the eye can track iirc so that's also something I think I can use lol

Yeah like I have been thinking you should probably take this elsewhere

but sound is sound so go ahead and use that

On another note, I added some stuff to the blog

May do Rajang's rock throw later but that'd take some extra work in terms of figuring out the speed of the throw itself (And it probably wouldn't go too far past Tetrandon's feat, and Tetsucabra's is done via his jaw strength while he struggles to lift slightly bigger rocks out of the ground so probably can't use that)

Though now that I think about it I never did calculate the hunter dodging roars for the real low tiers so, maybe I'll add that too, do the work for the rock throw anyways

later, though

Last edited:
Isn't there an MH cinematic where an ape monster dodges a bullet from one of the bowguns after it is fired? Idk if that ever got calced

So two questions btw

1. Are we still working to make profiles for each Hunter from the different games/gens? Or are we now content with just a single profile?

2. How do Sandboxes work on this site? I tried making a Sandbox like the one JoshSSJGod made for the World/Iceborne Hunter and I just don't know how to do it lol

2. How do Sandboxes work on this site? I tried making a Sandbox like the one JoshSSJGod made for the World/Iceborne Hunter and I just don't know how to do it lol
I can help with this.

There are actually two types of sandboxes for reference; the "forum" sandbox hosted on this site (what you access by hitting "Sandbox" in the top bar, used to plan out CRTs and other long-form discussion thread posts like this), and the "wiki" sandbox that is used for profiles and calcs accessible through one's blog on the wiki.

If you want to make a profile sandbox, make a new post on your wiki profile's blog tab and paste the standard profile format, editing from there.

You can also just hit "Edit" on the Zinogre profile (or whatever profile is closest to what you want to make a sandbox for) to highlight and copy the entire text box to use in your blog post for starters.

I can help with this.

There are actually two types of sandboxes for reference; the "forum" sandbox hosted on this site (what you access by hitting "Sandbox" in the top bar, used to plan out CRTs and other long-form discussion thread posts like this), and the "wiki" sandbox that is used for profiles and calcs accessible through one's blog on the wiki.

If you want to make a profile sandbox, make a new post on your wiki profile's blog tab and paste the standard profile format, editing from there.
Sounds good! If I want to use a profile picture for something I assume I gotta like, upload it to the wiki first and then I can use it?

Yes! You upload the image to the wiki's database, then you can search it up by inserting an image into the post.
Gotcha, thank you for the help! Currently trying to put a profile together now! Unfortunately I can't really link the calc I made for the verse since it hasn't been evaluated yet, but that's not a big deal I think lol

I'd like to update the Verse page's summary and "Power of the verse sections", because "rather strong" and "fast" seem subjective outside of, like ludicrously-tiered Verses at Multiversal or whatnot. I'd even hazard a guess that it's one of the weaker Verses out there. I can make a theoretical cleaner one and post it here/in a CRT soon.

Back