• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Minecraft has been Massively Hypersonic for way too long and shouldn't be

Status
Not open for further replies.
As anyone who researches Minecraft's powerscaling in this wiki can verify this calc which has been used for quite long to justify putting the combat and reaction speeds of pretty much everything that moves in the verse at Massively Hypersonic due to that supposedly calcing Endermen as being able to react at 100km/s or basicaly tens of thousands the speed of sound.

But there are issues with that.

FIRST ISSUE: Timeframe and distance

First of all, it seems to me weird — potentially irresponsible and wankish — for a calc to be officialized with many unanswered objections to it on its very comments. And a good point to be made is there is no evidence given for arrows in Minecraft to be 100m/s, nor the smallest possible distance frame to be 1mm. This contradicts the traditional measurement of Minecraft in blocks subdivided by pixels, as well as lacks evidence other than the wiki stopping there on its comparisons (with nothing telling us Minecraft itself cannot understand distances greater or smaller than 1mm). Not only that, a value for the arrow speed is used different from that that exists on the game and is given by the game's wiki, which was somewhere down the comments defended to be because that was the game's speed and we here recognized normal arrow speeds... but then why base the calc on the game's standards for everything else, even if ultimately failing to do so?

I am actually failing to find evidence for said in-game 53m/s speed that someone in the calc's comments mentioned, but the only tangible "minimum measurable distance" in Minecraft would, somewhat, be a pixel, and the calc when re-made with that in mind leads to Supersonic~Supersonic+ results.

SECOND ISSUE: Outlier

Yes, I am unironically calling outlier on a game mechanic. Why? For extremely basic reasons: the first one is that while we do have Endermen autododging arrows, they don't need to have any signal of being able to perceive them coming, nor aggro, in order for dodging arrows to occur: indeed, the wiki describes them as merely impossible to hit with projectiles, with Melee weapons working. I right now don't remember well, but they might not even become aggroed by being shot, but melee and staring do that just fine. This means the endermen do not react to arrows, they are just impossible to be hit by them. Thus, they do not have MHPS reflexes, but just automatic projectile evasion. If that can be understood, then everything that's scaled from their arrow-dodging is better off removed. They are vulnerable to melee at normal speeds, not blitzed by Steve's sword swings. If anything, their auto-dodge is more easily written off as game mechanics or a specific ability to not get hit by projects (they even bounce off them without doing damage when they do get hit).

So, would someone kindly remove MHPS from Minecraft? Nothing supports it.

I beleive that it's a matter of the timeframe. I've never seen arrows move at that speed in Minecraft. If they did, I wouldn't be able to see arrows in flight from a few meters away.

Except automatic reaction ca be proven. By the fact Endermen will dodge from arrows even if they don't have any seeming way of perceiving them nor display to except for the dodging, also because it doesn't aggro them and they don't get hurt by them even when teleportation fails. If they are going with the logic the burden of proof is on me and that literally every other character in the game and even the player himself is doing PIS (which should really have been cut by Occam's razor long ago), then here's my evidence.

VersusJunkie54 said:
I beleive that it's a matter of the timeframe. I've never seen arrows move at that speed in Minecraft. If they did, I wouldn't be able to see arrows in flight from a few meters away.
They move at 100m/s muzzle speed with 20m/s^2 deacceleration or something like that. However this is being used to say Endermen react at MHPS while every hit any other mob in the entire game takes Òâ╝ and that happens much more often than Endermen's outlier-y "reaction" (if it is to be considered a reaction at all, given lack of aggro or need for perception) Òâ╝ is being attributed to PIS or game mechanics. By this point, this should have already been noticed as irrational and contradictory.

In agreement, quite honestly. The absolute smallest unit of measurement available: 1 millimeter: seems a particularly odd and inflationary assumption to make regarding the Enderman's ability to evade at the very last second in this manner, especially when all of the meaningful measurements within the game itself correlate with the in-game pixels and not the precise millimeters that make up each of said pixels.

It's also a lot more consistent/less outlier-y, what with Steve constantly, over and over agai being demonstrated to be far slower than natural lightning strikes from the sky and even explosions... plus the other Subsonic feats demonstrated in the verse (Steve's own sort of arrow-timing, the Enderdragon being able to fly as fast as it can, etc.)

Endermen supposedly waiting until the very last moment that the arrow brushes their skin to dodge has about as much evidence going for it as Endermen simply reflexively reacting to Steve's finger loosing the arrow from the bowstring, which would leave it at least the amount of time necessary for the arrow to accelerate to its top speed (the string pushing the arrow outwards as it snaps back into place) to react to it.

I would be fine with using the lower end for Supersonic+, though, I think.

@Edward That's contesting the feat on entirely different grounds... the Outlier bit was only briefly brought up. Even then, it's not exactly against the rules for second looks to be taken at what was previously accepted if people find reason to change their minds.

@ThePerpetual, indeed, it is easier to put it like that and having subsonic Minecraft (I was honestly planning on Superhuman) rather than MHPS based on a single feat never supported again. Even then, I'd like the auto-dodge hypothesis to be seriously considered, as there is indeed reason to believe the endermen don't notice themselves being attacked when they evade projectiles through teleportation.

"The minimal distance used in the game are pixels"

Utter lie. Pixels are only used as an approximate distance by fans, often for graphical reasons. The decimals of coordinates are the ones used for literally every non-graphical measurements. Which is why I'm against the use of pixels to scale in-game things for most games in general, not just MC.

Also yes, Minecraft arrows do move at 100 m/s at top speed. Requires optimal angle and all but feasible.

The argument that "no other monster" can dodge those is flawed. No other monsters bother to dodge in the game, not even obvious and slow hits.

Saikou The Lewd King said:
"The minimal distance used in the game are pixels"
Utter lie. Pixels are only used as an approximate distance by fans, often for graphical reasons. The decimals of coordinates are the ones used for literally every non-graphical measurements. Which is why I'm against the use of pixels to scale in-game things for most games in general, not just MC.

Also yes, Minecraft arrows do move at 100 m/s at top speed. Requires optimal angle and all but feasible.

The argument that "no other monster" can dodge those is flawed. No other monsters bother to dodge in the game, not even obvious and slow hits.
I'm no longer questioning the speed of the arrows. Anyways, there is no reason to believe the Endermen can react to the arrows from short distances else than the fact they teleport before being hit, but then there is no aggro nor need for seeing the arrow: they just teleport instantly before getting hit, and even when they do get hit they aren't affected.

Edwardtruong2006 said:
@Mand21
As a side note, are you fine with the Tier 2s?
I'm still not sure so for now I believe they can stay, but my opinion is that having a 2-C key on the "Minecraftian" profile based on the entities alegorically and poetically speaking about the player behind the screen is wrong and should go (the player that's you who play the game and the character you play as are different beings and should be separate, if the player is to have his own profile at all: so far all the entities seem to be doing is fourth wall breaking).

Endermen failing to dodge or react to lightning bolts when they're far away is kind of an anti-feat. I'm neutral on this, but I do think it's iffy.

Kepekley23 said:
Endermen failing to dodge or react to lightning bolts when they're far away is kind of an anti-feat. I'm neutral on this, but I do think it's iffy.
Endermen are in the triple digit mach, Lightning is in the quadruple digit mach, they don't scale.

No. Reacting to a cloud to ground lightning bolt is single digit Mach due to how far away the clouds are.

Kepekley23 said:
Yes, it tends towards putting their "dodge" as either an outlier or giving credit to my "no reaction" theory. Endermen should at best have something like "massively hypersonic automatic reaction to projectiles and nothing else".

So I just checked the distance from the cloud to the ground

So going from 4 meters from the void to the clouds the height is 125 meters.

This was on a superflat world, I'll see the distance in an overworld.

Cuz apparently that happens.

Edwardtruong2006 said:
So I just checked the distance from the cloud to the ground
So going from 4 meters from the void to the clouds the height is 125 meters.

This was on a superflat world, I'll see the distance in an overworld.

Cuz apparently that happens.
If the reaction speed from that should be lower than 100km/s and yet there's no dodge...

"The speed of lightning can vary mostly in the range of 1.0-14×10^5 m/s. For the purpose of calculating speed feats we use the average lightning speed of 4.4×10^5 m/s (Mach 1294), which is suggested by this study. Similar studies have found average speeds within the same order of magnitude, albeit lower. this study. Similar studies have found average speeds within the same order of magnitude, albeit lower."

So highest typical lightning speed is 1 400 000m/s. Divided by 63 it becomes 22 222m/s reaction speed. Yeah, it's an anti-feat even when heavily highballed.

Hmm, just found something.

Endermen don't dodge lightning bolts.

It's not that they try to dodge, they just don't

This either backs up the point or breaks it.

@Saikou

Allow me to clarify: the in-game pixels are the smallest visibly discernable unit of measurement available within the game. While smaller units of measurements do exist, using them in calcs like these (let alone calcs that already stand primarily upon these sorts of assumptions such as the Endermen manually reacting to these arrows, which to be fair seems the most likely case given Occam's Razor and all) is generally impractical. The visible difference between dodging from one in-game pixel and one millimeter away would be indiscernable to us as onlookers, and given the assumptive nature of the calculation it seems much more preferable to go with a safer low-end that also happens to be far more in-line with the rest of the verse's feats.

I heavily disagree in the AP stuff, but I'm in full agreement with the speed thing.

MHS Minecraft is wrong in so many levels. Supersonic+ is fine though.

At worst Minecraft's reactions would be Subsonic via scaling to Skeletons.

I'll remain neutral but slightly leaning towards getting rid of MHS for now.

ThePerpetual said:
@Saikou
Allow me to clarify: the in-game pixels are the smallest visibly discernable unit of measurement available within the game. While smaller units of measurements do exist, using them in calcs like these (let alone calcs that already stand primarily upon these sorts of assumptions such as the Endermen manually reacting to these arrows, which to be fair seems the most likely case given Occam's Razor and all) is generally impractical. The visible difference between dodging from one in-game pixel and one millimeter away would be indiscernable to us as onlookers, and given the assumptive nature of the calculation it seems much more preferable to go with a safer low-end that also happens to be far more in-line with the rest of the verse's feats.
Yes, this is another important point against MHS Minecraft. Though I still believe the feat should be cogitated for being discarded or appropriately restricted because of the lack of aggro or need for perception, etc.

And I'm only now seeing ya guys's comments on my calc blog post.

Naw you see - Explosion affect Arrows Speed so it IS faster than 100m/s

Downgrade speed persistence (I presume YOU/WE have BAD accuracy of REAL speed of arrows Minecraft arrows turn reality because YOU/WE calc turn game speed to reality speed, more importantly whilst ignoring the fact Minecraft's physics is different Reality physics 'cause Gravity affected MASS and Gravity doesn't affect MOMENTUM, Explosion affects SPEED of projectiles, and Minecraft's arrow mass is HEAVY & Minecraft's arrow speed abnormally near-doubled compare to english long bow (Minecraft's bow chasing 329 fps Modern bows ) but Minecraft's bow had better strength than modern bows) and Gamemechanic prejudice (in-game pixels are the smallest measuring is GAMEMECHANIC IMO, I agreed to Thunder Speed (a bit), and BLOCKS = METER is better than pixels; my point is @Saikou's measuring is better)

Agree with the speed downgrade, MHS Minecraft is wanked.

You don't have to one shot someone to have AP equivalent to their dura. If we went by that logic we'd have to pretty much uproot the scaling systems for like every verse in the history of ever.

Chip damage and HP are both game mechanics. It wouldn't be fun if it only took a few blows to kill the dragon, would it?

Endermen do try to dodge a bolt, they teleport away as soon as it hits them but still end up on fire

Kepekley23 said:
Endermen do try to dodge a bolt, they teleport away as soon as it hits them but still end up on fire
They do? I tried it and they stood there, THEN tp'd because they were on fire.

DMUA said:
Chip damage and HP are both game mechanics. It wouldn't be fun if it only took a few blows to kill the dragon, would it?
Lol I agreed with that, and disagreed cuz Chip damage and HP may be gamemechanics but still "accumulation damage", as chip damage, existed in Minecraft as "mining" blocks with tools same behavior as attacking/damaging mobs with weapons (since THEIR body remained intact after withstanding Super Sharp Diamond Sword so I assumed it's because "accumulation damage"). I don't believe HP is direct indication of DURA though because chip damage still damaged mobs, even as gamemechanic, so I'm pretty sure HP is equivalent to ENDURANCE, not defence/dura. Heck this logics don't contradict THEIR calc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back