• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
X would be 2-A scaling from Sonic

Honestly, it has been discussed before, but crossover have been discarded because it usually involves the actual canon incarnation of the character. When the crossover character is his/her own incarnation they get a pass, like SMT Dante and such. That's what I get at least.

You think so? I don't keep up with gaming news in general, but I do agree that Megaman 11 and Resident Evil 2 Remake were pretty solid entries for them. They also seem to be letting go a bit of more dubious DLC practices which were their black mark some years ago.

I do not think Megaman 11 is a solid game. Apart from the gameplay and character designe, everything else is weak. The soundtrack was one of the strongest points of the franchise but is horrible in this game. The story is super simple, after MM8 and MM7 I expected something deeper. It's time for Capcom to create a story that connects with the X saga. And the graphics did not please me either, I preferred it to be something pixelated like sonic Mania than a super generic 3D and chibi. If I were to give a review to this game it would be something like 6/10

Truth to be told, the classic games always had lighthearted and straightforward stories, and I think 11 did explore interesting aspects of both Light and Wily with their shared background over the gear system. While finally connecting the Classic and X series would have been amazing, I think Capcom was playing it safe first and testing waters. Remember this was fresh off what happened with Mighty No9, and Capcom had admitted that after what happened with Legends 3 and Inafune's resignation, their goodwill regarding the Megaman franchise was gone and, when a chance finally sprung back it was after MN9's reception and MM fans increasedly negative expectations. So perhaps they though going for such a big move in a new entry was considered too risky for the situation and they tried a classic game that innovated in some ways, but stayed rooted in others.

I do agree that Sonic Mania's spritework is beautiful, however sprites are much more costly and time consuming to do than 3D models, especially to such detail. I think going for the 3D look was more of a pragmatic decision here. Though I believe the graphics looked serviceable enough, not mindblowing, but had good style and the game overall looks nice within its simplicity.

Can't speak for the music though, I don't know anything about music beyond personal tastes >_>, I personally found it pretty catchy, but that's a personal thing.

Beamgc said:
I do not think Megaman 11 is a solid game. Apart from the gameplay and character designe, everything else is weak. The soundtrack was one of the strongest points of the franchise but is horrible in this game. The story is super simple, after MM8 and MM7 I expected something deeper. It's time for Capcom to create a story that connects with the X saga. And the graphics did not please me either, I preferred it to be something pixelated like sonic Mania than a super generic 3D and chibi. If I were to give a review to this game it would be something like 6/10
I loved it personally, but we're all entitled to our opinion. Gotta disagree strongly on graphics, however. It was about time the series moved away from sprites and into 3D

I also do not like pixelated graphics, but they sure are better than a poorly done 3D. I think if the graphics were similar to Dragon Ball Fighter Z and without chibi, the game would be much better.

Mega Man was always supposed to be Chibi-Style actually, so I suppose it's personal taste. I thought it looked great, personally, but again, personal taste.

BruceTheBatman said:
Mega Man was always supposed to be Chibi-Style actually, so I suppose it's personal taste. I thought it looked great, personally, but again, personal taste.
I agree its personal taste, but the MM's from ps1 wasnt chib either.

To be honest, I don't really see the issue with chibi graphics. They are not bad by default. Not to mention MM8 and Megaman & Bass (which reuses assets from 8) are the only entries in the classic series without chibi graphics, and those two titles still have very colorful and, I'd say, cutesy art style. I'd see more of an issue with chibi graphics in a MMX game, for example, due to how that style wouldn't fit with X's darker stories and more serious character design. But in the classic series with it's straightforward style, lighthearted tone and story it works.

While I also think highly detailed spritework would be the ideal, I insist that the cost and time for that is too high for the most part. And I seriously don't really find the graphics terrible, they aren't detailed, but that's the point, graphics need to fit with the style of the game, so a highly detailed and realistic 3D may come as off putting in the wrong case. I really think a well stylized direction is good to go so long it recreates the proper atmosphere for the game, and I think the simple yet colorful 3D of 11 is a good compromise for it, given spritework could be complicated. Not to mention, resorting to older style graphics (retro 8 bit aside) could result in the game labelled as old fashioned or lazy throwback, which you can tell it was trying to be avoided.

Using the style of FighterZ... could work I guess? To be fair, I'd have to see the Megaman proper with those graphics to say and I don't really know how that style is achieves or how hard it is to say much about it.

Why are sprite games more expensive? Anyway a realistic graphics definitely not work, but something like blazblue or dbfz I'm pretty sure would look good. The tone of MM depends a lot on the game you are talking about. MM11 is much more "childish" than some games like 8, 7 and M&B and I if capcom wants to make a connection with the X series it will inevitably have to make more "dark" game. A more elaborate story would make the game much more appealing to the general public and if you have good animated cutscenes (and no bad voice acting for sure) it would be even better. I do not see reasons for a mm game with these qualities i said not selling well, if many other new platform games out there selled pretty well.

You said that capcom made a cheaper game to test how it would go in sales and I agree with you about it, so I hope the game has sold well and that we have a new megaman better worked, and of course, a new one game of X saga.

From what I get, it depends on how complex the 3D is which can be kept as stylized and rather simple and clean (compared for example, to an Uncharted game where the level of detail is huge, and thus it's 3D process would certainly big costly, time consuming and difficult) as happens here. Sprites however would be used for animation in an action platformer game like this, and that would require a lot of sprites to be drawn, not only for Megaman and enemies, but for background effects and movement too. And unlike older games, the level and detail of motion as a standard is pretty big (if they were using 8-bit style again or a retro, it would certainly be simpler and cheaper, but I think they were trying to finally move forward), but nowadays more fluid and detailed motions mean more time spent on it.

More specifically: when you make a 3D model you have an asset, which you can reuse for different porpuses. If you have a Megaman model you can make it run, shoot, dance by trying different motions with the skeleton. But with spritework you have to draw every single detail for each of those actions. Of course, this is just an overlysimplified version of the whole deal.

Interestingly, Blazblue uses 3D models to sample the animations which are then turned into sprites.

I agree that connecting with the X series would be great and a pretty good move, though as you mention as well, I believe they needed to play it safe this time around. I don't disagree that dark stories do well, quite the opposite they can be incredibly compelling, connectiing with X would inevitably lead to that depending on why Zero and X were made and the circunstances.

I didn't quite say just cheaper, more that a safe bet for Capcom given how volatile the situation was regarding the MM goodwill from fans and what happened with MN9, so they delivered a more "by the numbers" classic experience.

However both MM11 and X Legacy Collection did very well, I think both sold over 1 Million copies. So things are looking bright.

Beamgc said:
You sound like a Capcom Boomer. When you said everything should be "pixelated like Sonic Mania". Sonic Mania is not even that great of a Sonic game. It's ok, but I rather play Mega Man 11 over that any day of the week (Modern graphics>>>old school pixelated graphics). At least it not only added mostly new stuff, but the gameplay is a little more challenging, it looks more modern, voice acting, etc. When it comes to story, the Classic Series isn't something I look at for deep, complex story arcs. That's for the later series like X and onwards for imo. However, I am glad we got something out of it that explains why Dr. Wily has a heated rivalry with Dr. Light and Rock.

Not only that, but the Double Gear system is a great, game-changing mechanic that I hope it appears in other games and/or spinoffs. The ability to further powerup your weaponry and to move so fast that your preception of time is slowed down is great! Helps with tough bosses and tricky, platforming sections. Not only that, the music is actually pretty underrated in MM11. Very techno based, but not in a bad way. Sure we don't need to hear the same gear fortress theme in 4 Wily stages, but everything else is fine. I especially love Impact Man's theme, Fuse Man's theme, the stage select theme, etc. Also another fun addition is that Mega Man can now not only change his color with whatever weapon he gets, but his design changes too. I'm glad the devs are actually being this creative with the Blue Bomber when it came to his design as he's already great as he is a base character model where you can modify his body in various ways and was literally held back with this decision via NES limitations.

So without a doubt, Mega Man 11 is a great Mega Man game and a great addition to the Classic series. I don't give out number ratings cause only geeks that think their opinion is important does that.

There is a difference between a "deep" and a "deeper" story. At least I do not remember saying that classic mm had a deep plot. The thing is: MM11 basically has no dtory, even games like Mario that were made focused on gameplay and are for the casual public have something more elaborate.

"However, I am glad we got something out of it that explains why Dr. Wily has a heated rivalry with Dr. Light and Rock."

It just makes things more confusing, because as far as we know, willy and light were friends until the events of the first game, but mm11 seems to contradict it.

Also I never said that I like pixelated graphics, I just think better than a poorly done 3D. An ugly 3D is no less lazy than a pixelated graph. Like I said, the gameplay and the characters designe are cool, but that's all. The techno soundtrack is bland, because all the songs look the same. It even seems that the producers have programmed an AI to create the songs and AI simply made it from random rhythms.

Beamgc said:
There is a difference between a "deep" and a "deeper" story. At least I do not remember saying that classic mm had a deep plot. The thing is: MM11 basically has no dtory, even games like Mario that were made focused on gameplay and are for the casual public have something more elaborate.
"However, I am glad we got something out of it that explains why Dr. Wily has a heated rivalry with Dr. Light and Rock."

It just makes things more confusing, because as far as we know, willy and light were friends until the events of the first game, but mm11 seems to contradict it.

Also I never said that I like pixelated graphics, I just think better than a poorly done 3D. An ugly 3D is no less lazy than a pixelated graph. Like I said, the gameplay and the characters designe are cool, but that's all. The techno soundtrack is bland, because all the songs look the same. It even seems that the producers have programmed an AI to create the songs and AI simply made it from random rhythms.
Mega Man has a plot, it's an intericate one too. I'm not sure if you have been following the Classic games but each game has build up on each other storywise. You can't tell me that there isn't an actual plot in this series. Also, Mega Man and Mario are two different franchises nobody needs to follow in Mario's footsteps. Mega Man does it's own thing, lol

I'm not sure what you're confused about? Wily and Dr.Light weren't necessarily "friends" because Wily eventually got jealous of Dr.Light's success. I'm not sure what Mega Man 11 "contradicts" lol

No, It was an awful idea for the Mega Man games to use 8 bit in the first place. I wish Mega Man 9 and 10 went back to using Mega Man 8's sprites or even upgraded them to look a lot more modern. We are not in the past anymore, we are in the future and it's time to evolve. 8 bit sprites is not acceptable anymore.

"Deep", "Deeper", it doesn't even matter what word you use. They all fall in the same category and thus I'll call out your boomer logic whenever. Ok, the Classic Series has more to add in both story, gameplay, characters, AND music than something like Super Mario. Mario is literally THE MOST BLAND series on the planet. The games (besides some of the RPGs, but still skeptical on those myself) are always the same and not try another so grand or new. At least MM11 tried to be different and brand new while still faithful to the series at the same time. Mega Man has balls while Mario has nothing but a cliterus. Anybody who thinks Mario is so grand in the slightest likes to watch Game of Thrones and think Endgame is better than Infinity War.

More confusing? It was just stated that they were friends in college (which they were) until something in their youth made them enemies to each other. We didn't know what happened until MM11 gave us the answer in the form of Double Gear.

To say the 3D models are ugly and poorly done is a big understatement. The designs beats that than the ones in Mega Man: Powered Up which are poorly done 3D models by your definition. The music in Mega Man 11 isn't as bland as many would think. It has its great moments in each soundtrack. Acid Man, Fuse Man, Impact Man theme, and many others have some bangers in them that makes the songs enjoyable and rememberable to listen to. You just have poor taste in music and gaming. Especially if you had the audacity to compare Mega Man to Mario.

I just realized I've never finished a battle network game yet I've played them all except for Network Transmission.

It's probably just my attention span when it comes to GBA Games. It's so low it's not even funny. And my save on BN6CG got corrupted and I had just went to the Undernet so **** that.

Never got into the Battle Network games, personally. I played the first entry a little, but I kinda wanted to keep playing Star Force before I jumped into another Mega Man series.

Unfortunately, I never finished Star Force either. Maybe I should go back one of these days...

I only played the second Battle Network, I personally enjoyed it a lot. Though never quite got why I didn't try the other games in the series, looking back I should have.

That's...actually quite accurate

Doesn't change the fact that Kirby has the best music out of all the platformers

Kirby also rivals both in music. But I think we all agree that all three of them shit on Mario when it comes to music. And lore...and diverse gameplay...and characters.<s/>

VioletVoid100 said:
Kirby also rivals both in music. But I think we all agree that all three of them shit on Mario when it comes to music. And lore...and diverse gameplay...and characters.<s/> </div>
Music?!

Mario has some pretty nice ones in the RPG series, the Kart series, the 3D games and arguably even the main 2D series itself.

Besides some outliers I enjoy myself. For the most part, Mario music is very bland and forgettable most of the time. Like I don't remember some music from the Kart series other than Coconut Mall and that's from a meme video I watched recently. And for the RPG ones, In The Final is the only memorable one out of all of them.

VioletVoid100 said:
Besides some outliers I enjoy myself. For the most part, Mario music is very bland and forgettable most of the time. Like I don't remember some music from the Kart series other than Coconut Mall and that's from a meme video I watched recently. And for the RPG ones, In The Final is the only memorable one out of all of them.
This one is a legend in the Mario fanbase

Why did turn into one of those "my preferred franchise is better than yours deal"? We were just gushing about Megaman (though gushing about Sonic and Kirby is A-Ok).

@Bob: Mario has some pretty good music depending where you look. Mario RPG was composed by Yoko Shimomura herself (the person behind Street Fighter II and Kingdom Hearts), so does Mario Galaxy, though I can't remember the composer.

By the way, do Super Smash Bros remixes count? Some Mario remixes are pretty good.

Same thing for the Mega Man ones, of course.

Bobsican said:
VioletVoid100 said:
This one is a legend in the Mario fanbase
Ok and? Square Enix is great at making good games and music. But even then, a couple of Mario soundtracks isn't enough to be compared to Sonic and Mega Man music.

Back