• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Medaka Copying Styles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agnaa

VS Battles
Administrator
Calculation Group
Translation Helper
Gold Supporter
The Situation: Right now Medaka has a weakness of being unable to copy styles. This comes from numerous statements a few arcs before the end of the manga, in short about her being unable to copy them since she's too perfect to understand the imperfect feelings needed to use styles.

However, the resolution of this arc, and the driving force for the next arc, relies on her finally being able to understand those feelings, so what happened to her capability to copy styles? After that resolution, we never get any statements of her being unable to copy styles.

That's all circumstantial so far, but we do actually see her using a style later on in the rest of the series, in chapter 179 she used the style someone else used to move for three years while they were dead, to herself move after her blood had stopped pumping.

Granted, this is the only style we ever see her use, but her being able to use a style, the reason for her being unable to learn styles being gone, and there being no more statements of her being unable to copy styles all point towards her being able to copy them near the end of the series.

The Changes: Firstly I suggest to remove this weakness from her profile, and secondly I suggest to mention/explain this style somewhere under her notable attacks and techniques.

Bump.

Probably, I was going to suggest type 2 immortality but she already has that.

So should I unlock the profile so you can perform the accepted changes?

I won't be able to for quite a while, I'll tell you when.

I can make the changes now.

I just found something potentially contradictory. In chapter 173, Medaka says

But I get it... If this is the true form of a style, there's no way I could have learned it with The End...
Since it's past tense, it could imply that previously she would have had no chance of learning styles with The End, or it could imply that she can learn styles through research, observation, or tutoring (like how Zenkichi later learned Contradictory Conjunction), but not through The End itself.

Another interesting thing that I found, apparently she can also use the basics of a style to read an opponent's feelings, and counterattack accordingly (although her counterattack in this case is limited to a punch).

I'd like a bit more input before I actually apply this change.

I think that she learns styles in the normal learning manner, rather than instantly.

In any case, I have unlocked the page. Tell me here when you are done.

I've made the edits.

There is some more stuff I wanted to discuss about whether we should give Medaka other styles, but since most styles haven't been adequately described here yet, I'll save that until I've made profiles for the rest of the style users.

Close for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back