• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Marvel Comics - Thor Shaking the Realms of the World Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also much prefer to go by explicit unambiguous self-evident actual feats rather than scaling from fights, unless it actually makes very good logical sense to do so.

Last edited:
I also much prefer to go by explicit unambiguous self-evident actual feats rather than scaling from fights, unless it actually makes very good logical sense to do so.
That’s what I was trying to put into words, thank you.

it might be beyond the scope of this specific thread, but going forward it might be worth discussing how we treat comic scaling and maybe work out some new rules or refine the ones we currently have.

AGAIN, PROPER POWERSCALING FOR THE HERALDS ONLY WORKS IF THEY ARE FULLY SERIOUS IN THE FIGHT AND NOT HOLDING BACK.

It was never my intention to axe powerscaling for these characters, that would be completely ridiculous. Just that these characters might be holding back to a certain tier to not kill someone, but this also does not mean we get to rate these characters massively lower than what they're shown.

TL;DR: DON'T SCALE TO THE HERALDS IF THEY'RE NOT SERIOUS, AND DEFINITELY DO NOT TRY TO TIER THEM LOWER VIA A "HOLDING BACK" KEY, WE DON'T ALLOW THAT FOR CHARACTERS THAT HAVE CONSISTENT FEATS AT THEIR NORMAL OPERATING LEVEL AT FULL POWER. THERE SHOULD BE NO MIDDLE GROUND FOR STUFF LIKE THIS. SCALE THEM TO OTHER CHARACTERS ONLY IF THEY ARE FULLY SERIOUS AND NOT HOLDING BACK.

AGAIN, PROPER POWERSCALING FOR THE HERALDS ONLY WORKS IF THEY ARE FULLY SERIOUS IN THE FIGHT AND NOT HOLDING BACK.

It was never my intention to axe powerscaling for these characters, that would be completely ridiculous. Just that these characters might be holding back to a certain tier to not kill someone, but this also does not mean we get to rate these characters massively lower than what they're shown.

TL;DR: DON'T SCALE TO THE HERALDS IF THEY'RE NOT SERIOUS, AND DEFINITELY DO NOT TRY TO TIER THEM LOWER VIA A "HOLDING BACK" KEY, WE DON'T ALLOW THAT FOR CHARACTERS THAT HAVE CONSISTENT FEATS AT THEIR NORMAL OPERATING LEVEL AT FULL POWER. THERE SHOULD BE NO MIDDLE GROUND FOR STUFF LIKE THIS. SCALE THEM TO OTHER CHARACTERS ONLY IF THEY ARE FULLY SERIOUS AND NOT HOLDING BACK.
I’m not proposing an axing of scaling, just as you say, they need to not be holding back - which is more akin to what I was saying that they need more evidence than the simple fact a fight takes place. Sorry if that wasn’t clear.

and an all out fight should be considered “logical scaling” or at the very least a feat to be considered. Obviously fighting characters who are holding back leads to unquantifiable scaling anyway and shouldn’t be used at all.

I definitely agree. Rating Herald tiers at 6-C on Earth never made sense to me.

They don’t shake all levels of reality, their clash is just stated to ripple across all levels of reality, which is more range than AP. And even if it was AP, that would be a 2-A statement, not Low 2-C or 2-C.

The Big Bang statement in that scan is better for AP.

I’m not proposing an axing of scaling, just as you say, they need to not be holding back - which is more akin to what I was saying that they need more evidence than the simple fact a fight takes place. Sorry if that wasn’t clear.
Oh, alright then, I definitely agree. The fights should be fully analyzed and all signs should be checked out.

and an all out fight should be considered “logical scaling” or at the very least a feat to be considered. Obviously fighting characters who are holding back leads to unquantifiable scaling anyway and shouldn’t be used at all.
Of course, but it would have to be thoroughly analyzed before we just come to a conclusion willy nilly.

They don’t shake all levels of reality, their clash is just stated to ripple across all levels of reality, which is more range than AP. And even if it was AP, that would be a 2-A statement, not Low 2-C or 2-C.

The Big Bang statement in that scan is better for AP.
Hmm sure

This is the same feat, not two separate ones.
I am actually confused, i could swear they were different feats.
But yes, my apologies

Thats around 6 Low 2-C - 2-C feats

@MARVEL_Future_Fight_Gamer

Can you find sources for these:

1. Damaged Galactus.
2. Harmed Odin.
3. Rent the heavens asunder in his battle against the Odin Destroyer and held his own.
4. Harmed Glory by summoning the winds of a thousand worlds. (And we should find out how strong Glory is)
5. Harmed Skyfather Hercules.
6. Fought against Surtur.
7. Briefly knocked out Mangog.
8. Briefly knocked out the Phoenix Force, though far weaker than it

Honestly, I can see Thor going up to ranging between 2-C and 2-A at his absolute, absolute peak (excluding stuff like God-Blast and Odinforce of course).

So in total
  • Thor moves the world engine | 2-C
  • Hulk channels the power of two universes | 2-C
  • Hyperion tanks two universes | 2-C
  • Silver Surfer preserves two universes | 2-C
  • Hulk rips the undying ones dimension | Low 2-C
  • two thors strength is comparable or superior to the big bang | 3-A - Low 2-C
  • Thor lays Waste to jotunheim and shatters Yggdrasils root | Low 2-C
  • Thor Shakes the fabric of infinity | Low 2-C

That is of course, without the assumption of thor and the others scaling to skyfather tiers, which gives us a bunch of new statements and feats

Silver Surfer preserves two universes | Green lantern/Silver surfer: Unholy alliances
Oh, I forgot to mention, we don’t use crossover comics like this one for scaling. Not to mention that if you read the dialogue, Surfer makes it pretty clear that he’s not at his normal level of strength, and he thinks he’d have to sacrifice his life to preserve the universes.

1. Damaged Galactus (The Mighty thor (2011) #4)
2. Harmed Odin. (Fear Itself (2011) #1)
3. Rent the heavens asunder in his battle. against the Odin Destroyer and held his own. (Thor: Man of War)
4. Harmed Glory by summoning the winds of a thousand worlds. (And we should find out how strong Glory is) (idk)
5. Harmed Skyfather Hercules. (Chaos war #1)
6. Fought against Surtur. (Idk)
7. Briefly knocked out Mangog. (Thunderstrike (2011) #5)
8. Briefly knocked out the Phoenix Force, though far weaker than it (Avengers Vs X-men #4)

Oh, I forgot to mention, we don’t use crossover comics like this one for scaling. Not to mention that if you read the dialogue, Surfer makes it pretty clear that he’s not at his normal level of strength, and he thinks he’d have to sacrifice his life to preserve the universes.
I mean, it is within his range.
But yeah, not using crossover feats makes sense

@MARVEL_Future_Fight_Gamer

Can you find sources for these:

1. Damaged Galactus.
2. Harmed Odin.
3. Rent the heavens asunder in his battle against the Odin Destroyer and held his own.
4. Harmed Glory by summoning the winds of a thousand worlds. (And we should find out how strong Glory is)
5. Harmed Skyfather Hercules.
6. Fought against Surtur.
7. Briefly knocked out Mangog.
8. Briefly knocked out the Phoenix Force, though far weaker than it
Well, @Kenshin_ did the job for this already :)
Honestly, I can see Thor going up to ranging between 2-C and 2-A at his absolute, absolute peak (excluding stuff like God-Blast and Odinforce of course).
I can agree to this

Last edited:
I am of the personal opinion that ABSOLUTELY NO ONE SHOULD SCALE TO THOR, HULK, NORRIN, SENTRY AND OTHER TOP-TIER HERALDS UNLESS THEY'RE SERIOUS AND NO LONGER HOLDING BACK, PERIOD. Even for the Tier 3 shit. I just think the whole "X tier when holding back" is garbage, just scale those lower rung people to their own feats people. Not that hard. I am willing to die on that hill with this belief.
Agreed; they get a varies only if the power has an in universe mechanism

Avengers Annual #16 (1987) has a potential 3-A feat for Thor. The Grandmaster created five bombs that together would destroy the universe. 3 of the bombs are destroyed before detonating, but Iron Man fails to diffuse his in time and it explodes. When this happens, the Grandmaster says that 1/5th of the universe has ceased to exist. Thor doesn't destroy his bomb in time, but manages to contain its explosion with a storm. Normally, a bomb destroying 1/5th of the universe would be 3-B, but since the wiki's accepted size of the Marvel Universe is 1 trillion light years, this feat should be 3-A. Not as good as the Low 2-C or 2-C feats, but its still a Universal feat.

We could remove the "5-B when holding back," since as discussed above it doesn't make sense to scale to Herald-level characters unless it's made very explicitly clear that there's an in-story reason to do so. Then he'd be 3-C normally, up to 2-C when exerting himself, up to 2-A with Godblast. Rather than attempt a full upgrade, since it does seem that even though he has quite a few 2-C feats under his belt, we could provide some of the feats we've collected here as support for his 2-C overexertion tier. Thoughts?

Channels power from two universes, not enough power to destroy them, as far as I understood.
Possibly, but all that he really did was preventing two planets from colliding with each other, and he only withstood an extremely small part of the resulting explosion.
Not a part of regular continuity.
Tom DeFalco used to be the king of hyperbolic flowery language though.
I think that Impress said that it was a tiny pocket universe.

Not quantifiable, especially as he just absorbs power from the endless cosmos, and this is what seems to be referred to here.
Unproven hyperbolic flowery language I'm afraid.
It was a galaxy-destroying explosion, and it was made clear that authors, not scientists, might one day describe it as comparable to a big bang, again via flowery language to spice up their stories.

Channels power from two universes, not enough power to destroy them, as far as I understood.
I will see what people have to say about it.

Possibly, but all that he really did was preventing two planets from colliding with each other, and he only withstood an extremely small part of the resulting explosion.
He survived the “cascading energy” that collapsed two universes.
I believe the planets colliding was similar to an incursion
I think the feat is still 2-C, the fact that two universes were erased by this energy with only hyperion remaining implies (if not straight up shows) comparability.

Tom DeFalco used to be the king of hyperbolic flowery language though.
The shockwave affected the entire cosmos, and the energy released by them erupted through all planes of reality i dont think DeFlaco intended this feat to be hyperbole

I believe a hyperbole would also be a lot less specific like most of DeFlacos blatent hyperboles.

I think that Impress said that it was a tiny pocket universe.
I am not sure why it would be though?
It is stated to be a dimension, a cosmos, a universe and is treated as a dimension like hulks world
Which doesnt inherently mean its universe sized, but to assume otherwise would be the more far assumption then just saying its universe sized
Unless there is something i dont know.

I am of the personal opinion that ABSOLUTELY NO ONE SHOULD SCALE TO THOR, HULK, NORRIN, SENTRY AND OTHER TOP-TIER HERALDS UNLESS THEY'RE SERIOUS AND NO LONGER HOLDING BACK, PERIOD. Even for the Tier 3 shit. I just think the whole "X tier when holding back" is garbage, just scale those lower rung people to their own feats people. Not that hard. I am willing to die on that hill with this belief.
The worst thing about this is that we also assume these Heralds also hold back on their durability, even tho logically and realistically speaking, that's impossible if you actually don't have a proper "Varies" mechanism explaining this fluctuation, like Superman's mental state or Hulk's anger or even Sentry's mental state. THERE IS NO OTHER EXPLANATION FOR OTHER TOP TIER HERALD PEOPLE FOR THIS.

Thor #338 (1966): Odin said that BRB and Thor might very well lay waste to Asgard
Thor #10 (1998): Thor battled Perrikus and took blasts from him. Perrikus is the God of Unlimited Power and Infinite Energy

Also, slightly off-topic, but since the Unbinding Stone would repeal the very laws of physics, and loosen the principles that bound reality until they’re wiped from existence and end all creation, what resistances would Thor have for withstanding it (not sure whether this feat also applies to durability, but if it does that's cool)

Last edited:
Withstanding only part of a 2-C explosion is still 2-C from my knowledge. Afaik Inverse-square law isn’t applicable to Tier 2 destruction

It’s worth noting that if we consider the Marvel Universe to be infinite in size (which is probably stated hundreds of times) then all the universe-shaking feats (Thor hitting Galactus hard enough to shake the universe and doing the same with his Thermo-Blast, Hercules’ statement, Beta Ray Bill shaking the universe in his fight with Stardust, baby Thor’s feat, ect) would end up being High 3-A supporting feats.

Though of course I agree we shouldn’t get out hand with scaling, several characters are unreliable to scale from for the most part due to either holding back on most opponents or having Variable power levels.

Last edited:
For the Black Galaxy one, does it matter if the "Big Bang" comparison is flowery language if the Black Galaxy itself is actually a universe?
Was it ever explicitly stated to be the actual size of an entire universe?

Withstanding only part of a 2-C explosion is still 2-C from my knowledge. Afaik Inverse-square law isn’t applicable to Tier 2 destruction
Correct. Inverse-square law stops applying once you enter the realm of High 3-A. Infinity divided by anything is still infinity.

Meaning withstanding a tiny portion of a 2-C explosion is still 2-C, but you massively downscale from baseline.

I will see what people have to say about it.
Okay.
He survived the “cascading energy” that collapsed two universes.
I believe the planets colliding was similar to an incursion
I think the feat is still 2-C, the fact that two universes were erased by this energy with only hyperion remaining implies (if not straight up shows) comparability.
I am not so sure that the feat was intended that way.
The shockwave affected the entire cosmos, and the energy released by them erupted through all planes of reality i dont think DeFlaco intended this feat to be hyperbole

I believe a hyperbole would also be a lot less specific like most of DeFlacos blatent hyperboles.
If it had been the local universe alone, I agree, but DeFalco made it sound like a Low 1-A feat, which is far too high.
I am not sure why it would be though?
It is stated to be a dimension, a cosmos, a universe and is treated as a dimension like hulks world
Which doesnt inherently mean its universe sized, but to assume otherwise would be the more far assumption then just saying its universe sized
Unless there is something i dont know.
Well, I don't remember so well, but the Dark-Crawler was definitely not presented as remotely capable of withstanding universal scale attacks in other stories, and the realm itself was never explicitly depicted or stated to be be of universal size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back