• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mario Weakness question/revision ?

ZespeonGalaxy

He/Him
So Mario's profile is pretty solid. I think there is some missing (but that is for another thread) my biggest issue is his weakness tab, it states "he's somewhat impulsive and not much of a strategist." But why is that? He had strategized attacks with Luigi in the Mario and Luigi games.

Oh and the "Weaknesses: Most of his power-ups have a time limit or can be removed from an attack" Since the bottomless gloves do not let him drop items after getting hit. There should be a (Without the Bottomless Glove) next to the sentence mentioning his weakness regarding attacks removing his powerups

Scan or Evidence:

Last edited:
To be honest almost all games where he can lose power-ups that aren't time limits he can lose them from simply touching something like a Goomba. I think narratively it doesn't make sense to list it as a weakness for Mario but then not acknowledge the fact Goombas can in fact BE that damage that can cause him to lose the power.

For me it seems more like game mechanics honestly. We've seen how Mario can be hit in cutscenes and withstand events that should massively damage him within the same games where these game mechanics are found and he doesn't revert to small Mario or anything, which makes me strongly believe it's a game mechanic.

Examples are that you can have the Cape in Super Mario World for the infamous cutscenes where some castles explode on Mario, and the beginnings of games like NSMBU and Bowser's Fury where we see Mario take big falls and yet doesn't turn small like the gameplay would have him do upon taking literally any damage.

Last edited:
Admittedly though, there are cutscenes in the NSMB series that show Mario reverting to Small Mario and losing a power-up from a lick of damage, but I still don't like these, as they are basically anti-feats if we take them seriously. Mario has taken damage from Jr. before in other games and is just fine, but in NSMB he becomes small from Jr. simply running past him. You see what I mean? 2D games are the games where the most game mechanics and anti-feats are at play.

But whatever. Inconsistent franchise I don't care that much. I agree to remove the impulsive thing though. Being quick to defend someone is a trait most heroes have so we may as well list that for everyone if that counts as what the profiles consider "impulsive". Cause otherwise I have no idea where the profile is getting that

It would be strange to list the power up weaknesses in the weaknesses section. if you wanted to do that, you'd have to list all the temporary powerups. Might as well just list which ones are temporary and how long they last in the P&A section

Back