• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mario Discussion Thread, Seconda parte.

Oh yeah. In my Sunshine posts I mentioned how Mario gets disassembled via tha Portal but can automatically reassemble himself on the other side. While this could be chalked off as "the portal does it via some magic", this same animation plays even in levels like Pinna Park which don't require a portal, but a cannon. Shadow Mario can also naturally disassemble and reform his body.

And as for the debate on Cappy, I found some interesting artwork that supports it being Mario's spirit or at least it changing Mario's corporeal state:

800px-SMO Art - Goomba Capture
SMO-MarioCapturingGoomba
Hopefully this is enough evidence.

And as for Cappy Magic helping him out of transformatioms, we have the ending where they all crash as electricity and everyone is knocked out, including Tiara stoll on Peach's head and Mario with Cappy, showing that no, it's not just Cappy as all of them can do it. Hell, suicide Bullet Bills should have already shown that Cappy has no other control over the transformations and that Mario has full control. This is also supported by the multiplayer but eh.

Also, interesting note for Shadow Mario.

Shouldn't he already have some form of intangibility by virtue of being made of water and/or the same substance as the graffiti? Perhaps Immaterial or Elemental like the Inklings? He can even hide inside the graffiti like an Inkling as he rises with the statue after you beat the Gatekeeper and clear the main Plaza of goop. This is without mentioning the ball of whatever that can go through solid objects he turns into.

Can we specify it's passive? Also, remove the cape attack reflection as that's only in Smash only. In SMW, it only blocks projectiles.

Pretty sure there are other examples of attack reflection; like the Tanookie suit and Racoon feather. Deflecting profiles is also attack reflection. But Return Postage can be added to the list of examples.

I don't recall either of those reflecting attacks. Using your tail against projectiles does nothing, and the statue only blocks it. The Cape doesn't deflect anything. It doesn't send your projectile back.

In the 3D Mario games, the tail does deflect cannonballs and stuff like that iirc.

I wouldn't exactly call those attack reflection, it's only turning the bullets direction. I don't think you can "reflect" other projectiles.

Reflecting projectiles is technically attack reflection, and oh yeah; the Return Postage and Spite Pouch are just damage transferal similar to what Ruins Test has.

But it's not really attack reflection, you only change the direction of the bullet bills. As far as I'm aware, you can't reflect other projectiles.

So while doing some cleaning the other day I found my old copy of Donkey Kong Jungle Climber and was surprised to see it still work fine (I thought I'd lost 6 or so years ago). Just beat it earlier today and noticed a nice reaction speed feat for Donkey Kong, he can perfectly pilot a barrel rocket to the asteroid belt in less then half a minute while easily dodging several projectiles along the way. This is a FTL+ feat if I'm not mistaken.

Lowballing it with 30 seconds and the distance of Earth to the nearest asteroid belt (2.2 AU), we get it being 36.6c

Just for fun I decided to try calculating how tall Bowser is thoughout the series, and it's about as inconsistent as you'd expect. I've only done 29 games so far but the only consistent thing about his height is that, with the exception of 5 games, he's always more than 8 feet tall. Tallest so far is Mario Odyssesy where he's 20'4.

Bowser can shape shift as seen in Mario Galaxy 2, Bowser's Inside Story, and Super Princess Peach. All of which he can grow taller than Peach's Castle. But yeah, his base height is inconsistent, with some of the cartoons and comics making him appear even smaller. There are some cartoons that made Luigi taller than Bowser.

Dust Collector said:
Luigi being taller than Bowser in some cartoons isn't even the worst of it, the all stars version of Super Mario Bros actually has him being shorter than Mario. He's an absolute manlet in that game at barely over 5 feet tall.
I'm around 5'6 the last time I remember, reptilian boi Bowser is around oh I don't know 8 FEET TALL?

I dunno if the Cape has it yet, but in Super Mario World the Cape can straight up negate Magikoopa's spells.

Also, while I know he has the ability to harm souls, the Star can pretty much destroy Boos, who are canonically spirits/souls of the dead, with ease as well as is immune to elemental attacks like fron the Fire and Ice Bros. Magic also doesn't work, obviously, and probably plenty more I can't think of atm. But basically a Star allows Mario to be immune to all kinds of attacks and status effects induced by the enemies and bosses within those games he can use it in. Being immune to the Boos would also mean he can negate intangibility/non-corporeal states. Being resistant/immune to intangible things would also fit with Star Mario being able to negate some of Bowser and Kamek's projectiles which can go through walls in some games and if you have an invincible White Tanooki Suit (which the Star should scale from since it's almost the same thing except White Tanooki has no time limit), Bowser's intangible/phasing fireballs in 3D Land can't harm you.

Back