• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Major EarthBound Revisions Part I: Cosmology and Stat Revisions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never said being stupidly stronger then ninten is his reason for tier 7, strawman. I said that your claim that he can tank hits from Ninten implying Ninten harmed him was objectively false.
I never implied that lmao
I mean if you can show a case where a PSI user isn't comparable to their PSI physically, and I mean an actual case where the PSI is shown to be far above their physicals I'd love to see it. It's unknown if George even has PSI Armor. So I don't even know why you brought him up, literally nothing is known about George other then he stole the races secret. Having "no physical showings" isn't even a refute for characters that aren't even on screen for much time + Magypsies total screen time is related to training the main cast. Give me actual examples of clear and direct fighter PSI users that have "no physical showings". Even if I was to accept this idea, Giygas and his race as far superior to anyone in PSI, so the PSI scaling to them physically should apply due to having far superior control and usage over their PSI.
This is correlation without causation. You're simply observing a common trend and declaring it a universal rule, but there's no in-verse reasoning for this. Also, there's absolutely no reason being better at PSI should make one physically stronger.

I never implied that lmao

This is correlation without causation. You're simply observing a common trend and declaring it a universal rule, but there's no in-verse reasoning for this. Also, there's absolutely no reason being better at PSI should make one physically stronger.
Quote from you: "I am fully aware that Giegue is ridiculously stronger than Ninten, but this by itself does not make for an argument for tier 7".

I'm declaring it a reasonable rule that has been consistently shown within the series with you having no proof other then "oh well not every existing example is here", which again is ridiculous.

This also isn't correlation without causation:
The concept of it falls under that you link two events together with little evidence, a consistent showing within the series from the beginning of the game all the way of the end, with every game is PSI scales to physicals and vice versa. Even if I steelmaned you on this point, this is the worse possible logical fallacy to use cause even it admits that for statistical data like I'm using it can't claim the conclusions false.

There's simple reasonability here, if psi is consistently shown to scale to physicals and characters in verse tank PSI I see no reason we need to suddenly assume for Giygas of all people it won't work.

Low 1-C Ness also comes from him literally absorbing and not just getting a boost from ToTU, and I doubt that a fraction of the true form of a Low 1-C which is even Higher Dimensional in itself and immensely above baseline isn’t at very least baseline Low 1-C. Also there’s the whole argument of both Ness and DD sharing the same power source (since Ness to achieve that power needed to absorb also the Earth’s power, and Dark Dragon gives power to it), meaning that they’re somehow relative in power and thus Ness being baseline from downscaling from both ToTU and DD, who are both immensely above it works.

At the very least, Ness's durability scales from Giygas's Attack Potency which is 2-A at bare minimum, and his sheer size alone warrants a Low 2-C rating. But I didn't hear him "Absorbing the Truth of the Universe" part, I only remember him touching the Truth of the Universe to be amplified by him. But out of curiosity, what did Aeyu say about the thread?

At the very least, Ness's durability scales from Giygas's Attack Potency which is 2-A at bare minimum, and his sheer size alone warrants a Low 2-C rating. But I didn't hear him "Absorbing the Truth of the Universe" part, I only remember him touching the Truth of the Universe to be amplified by him. But out of curiosity, what did Aeyu say about the thread?
Ness absorbed his own Magicant, which has also the sea of Eden, that is heavily implied to contain a “piece“ of ToTU, due of Ness being physically able to touch said entity.

I thought I told you about it, but since Ness absorbed his Magicant, he consequently absorbed the portion of the Truth of the Universe that existed in the Sea of Eden. Also, without Low 1-C, 2-A wouldn't be able to be applied because that would be using the exact same reasoning, unless you want to say that the fraction of Low 1-C power Ness received is 2-A, though I'm not sure why that would be quantifiable in such a specific way. If the Low 1-C scaling for Ness and Giygas happens to be rejected, they will probably become 2-B (which will be explained later if the need arises), or simply get reverted back to Low 2-C.

Yes, I know. In fact I also do support the current tiers, I was just pointing out side details for those against it.

But yes, he absorbed his magicant which contained part of the Truth of the Universe, but someone else above worded it as absorbing his entirety. Also, to answer Giver of Peace's question regarding Gigue, I simply misunderstood a detail in the calculation blog. But I suppose that cleared up my doubts yeah.

Ant, why did you switch Giygas's intelligence from Supergenius to Extraordinary? DDM agreed to it and no one opposed to it at all. What problems do you have with it?
Because the justifications listed in the profile were nowhere near enough to qualify for such an extreme rating.

Anyway, we should preferably wait for Wokistan here.

Because the justifications listed in the profile were nowhere near enough to qualify for such an extreme rating.
I don’t see your line of thinking at all. This is a character who’s not only intellectually superior to the geniuses in the verse (which they were able to create a capsule machine that can literally block off any physical and psychic attacks, including 5th dimensional levels of reality warping that erases concepts) but he has demonstrated the ability that I would think should be enough to warrant that rating. Is creating a machine that can seal away higher dimensional entities and keep their mind stabilized from being erased by their own powers within a short time frame not enough to warrant such a rating? Or creating a Mech within a short time period that has far superior time traveling capabilities than the previously mentioned character (Dr. Andonuts)?

And for the record, could you please inform us next time when you are gonna make a change to a profile stats? Or at the very least tell us your problem with the rating before applying the change, because as I said, no one contested it at all. It’s been agreed upon by pretty much most people on this thread.

Actually, they do have an actual Low 1-C feat to support their rating. Giygas wasn't immediately one shotted from the Player, if Giygas was just Tier 2, he'd get one shotted from them instead of taking 3-5 hits, and Ness can still harm Giygas. This actually means that Ness has actually Low 1-C AP due of him harming a being who can take some hits from a Low 1-C entity, who could somehow oppose Dark Dragon, who, I remind being immensely above Low 1-C due of its reset being extremely casual due of such feat being performed from just waking up, and thus Ness being an unquantifiable amount above baseline Low 1-C is more than solid.

Last edited:
I don’t see your line of thinking at all. This is a character who’s not only intellectually superior to the geniuses in the verse (which they were able to create a capsule machine that can literally block off any physical and psychic attacks, including 5th dimensional levels of reality warping that erases concepts) but he has demonstrated the ability that I would think should be enough to warrant that rating. Is creating a machine that can seal away higher dimensional entities and keep their mind stabilized from being erased by their own powers within a short time frame not enough to warrant such a rating? Or creating a Mech within a short time period that has far superior time traveling capabilities than the previously mentioned character (Dr. Andonuts)?
The former is a single feat that approaches this level in terms of scale alone, but a Supergenius needs to essentially be able to warp reality almost any way he or she wishes on a massive scale with his or her inventions. Sealing and time travel are strictly within the Extraordinary Genius level.
And for the record, could you please inform us next time when you are gonna make a change to a profile stats? Or at the very least tell us your problem with the rating before applying the change, because as I said, no one contested it at all. It’s been agreed upon by pretty much most people on this thread.
Given that I wrote our intelligence standards, I sometimes change blatantly inaccurate ratings that I notice on my own when edit patrolling, as I do not remotely have the time to start content revision threads for every single case.

Using DBZ for powerscaling comparison is shit. Not only does that verse have explicit showings that they can hold back at such a level, but you know for a fact the Android's "infinite energy" relates to stamina/ki, not power.
Remove the example if you don't like it, doesn't change the base of my argument.

The former is a single feat that approaches this level in terms of scale alone, but a Supergenius needs to essentially be able to warp reality almost any way he or she wishes on a massive scale with his or her inventions. Sealing and time travel are strictly within the Extraordinary Genius level.

Given that I wrote our intelligence standards, I sometimes change blatantly inaccurate ratings that I notice on my own when edit patrolling, as I do not remotely have the time to start content revision threads for every single case.
You told Fronk a while back on your message wall that what you saw qualifies for Supergenius tho?
Remove the example if you don't like it, doesn't change the base of my argument.
In this case however Ness is absorbing a significant portion of a being, not using them as a power source. Why would it not scale in this case?

You don't have a valid argument to begin with, find another one that actually has similar scaling instead of DBZ of all things.
Really don't think I need to find an example that matches this case one-to-one.

In this case however Ness is absorbing a significant portion of a being, not using them as a power source. Why would it not scale in this case?
Because the significant portion is still unquantifiable. I already gave reasons why it doesn't happen like that most of the time in fiction. Unless there is something proving that to be the case, we can't simply assume such a thing.

Because the significant portion is still unquantifiable. I already gave reasons why it doesn't happen like that most of the time in fiction. Unless there is something proving that to be the case, we can't simply assume such a thing.
Uhm...
Low 1-C Ness also comes from him literally absorbing and not just getting a boost from ToTU, and I doubt that a fraction of the true form of a Low 1-C which is even Higher Dimensional in itself and immensely above baseline isn’t at very least baseline Low 1-C. Also there’s the whole argument of both Ness and DD sharing the same power source (since Ness to achieve that power needed to absorb also the Earth’s power, and Dark Dragon gives power to it), meaning that they’re somehow relative in power and thus Ness being baseline from downscaling from both ToTU and DD, who are both immensely above it works.
Actually, they do have an actual Low 1-C feat to support their rating. Giygas wasn't immediately one shotted from the Player, if Giygas was just Tier 2, he'd get one shotted from them instead of taking 3-5 hits, and Ness can still harm Giygas. This actually means that Ness has actually Low 1-C AP due of him harming a being who can take some hits from a Low 1-C entity, who could somehow oppose Dark Dragon, who, I remind being immensely above Low 1-C due of its reset being extremely casual due of such feat being performed from just waking up, and thus Ness being an unquantifiable amount above baseline Low 1-C is more than solid.
^^^

I already gave reasons why it doesn't happen like that most of the time in fiction.

To be fair, and? Not every verse is the same. If we wanna treat a verse by enforcing our tiering system upon it, in which we deal with infinities and shit. Why would we assume a fraction of a source that can't be divided to an extent, is actually divided up into such an amount it would be enough to make it drop down a tier per our standards, like that just because some other verses do this, it would mean that this verse must ALSO do it? When that isn't how this works, if there's absolutely nothing that implies or even hints that to be the case in context, why are you applying how other verses work here when that isn't the case?
In the same vain, the fact other verses don't do that is just as much an argument, put simply, who gives a **** about other verses?
Stick to what's actually shown or apart of the verse in question, don't bring other "possible" or "hypothetical" tropes that don't have any foundation in context.

Really don't think I need to find an example that matches this case one-to-one.
Not one to one, but at bare minimum something similar. If you can't find one, then that's a you problem I don't have to worry about.

Absorbing an unquantifiable amount of something that is infinite is still infinite, you think it matters? "Oh but fiction can sometimes be like this" then PROVE this is the case. Basic scaling says unless Ness is somehow infinitely weaker, which we don't need to prove, then absorbing a portion of Truth's Low 1-C power is still Low 1-C.

To be fair, and?
I don't think you really understood my argument. I never said "that other verse does this and so it should be applied to this verse". All I said is that without any support, it's not reasonable to assume a portion of someone's power makes you the same tier as them and that gives rise to wonky scaling. That's not for any particular verse, that's in general and applies to everything.

Actually, they do have an actual Low 1-C feat to support their rating. Giygas wasn't immediately one shotted from the Player, if Giygas was just Tier 2, he'd get one shotted from them instead of taking 3-5 hits, and Ness can still harm Giygas.
If this is based simply on not getting immediately one shotted and the character taking 4-5 hits, that's normal too across fiction. And it doesn't prove that the character is comparable or even in the same tier. The character can be massively weaker and still take 4-5 hits before going down because that's how fights happen. So using that argument doesn't seem decisive enough to prove your point.

If this is based simply on not getting immediately one shotted and the character taking 4-5 hits, that's normal too across fiction. And it doesn't prove that the character is comparable or even in the same tier. The character can be massively weaker and still take 4-5 hits before going down because that's how fights happen. So using that argument doesn't seem decisive enough to prove your point.
It literally means that Ness' hits are comparable to Player's, since as Giygas could survive hits from Player, and Ness can damage him, there's not an uncountable infinite difference between them. Downscaling is a thing, is literally the same reason why Mega Mewtwo is 3-C/High 3-A due of it taking hits from Zygarde. And both Mewtwo and Giygas don't have any anti feat against such downscaling.

All I said is that without any support, it's not reasonable to assume a portion of someone's power makes you the same tier as them and that gives rise to wonky scaling. That's not for any particular verse, that's in general and applies to everything.
No no no, that's not how it works. That only applies to a finite source of energy you are absorbing, but this is an infinite power source given by the god tier. Because of how basic infinite works, it does make Ness the same tier. And no, it doesn't give a wonky scaling chain when this applies to only Ness and Giygas, so that argument is invalid as well. AKM, if you're going to make these claims that we can't downscale them, then literally find something to prove this, because I'm arguing over your headcanon.

Stop using comparisons if you don't have any good ones to begin with. As it stands, a portion of infinite power is still infinite. Either find something to say otherwise or contradict this, otherwise you have nothing else to argue.

I don't think you really understood my argument. I never said "that other verse does this and so it should be applied to this verse". All I said is that without any support, it's not reasonable to assume a portion of someone's power makes you the same tier as them and that gives rise to wonky scaling. That's not for any particular verse, that's in general and applies to everything.
A fraction of a 10-C would still make you 10-C. A fraction of a 2-A would still make you 2-A. A fraction of High 3-A would still make you High 3-A.
I understood what you were saying, which is why I specified.
a fraction of a source that can't be divided to an extent, is actually divided up into such an amount it would be enough to make it drop down a tier per our standards
Because that applies here. No matter how small a fraction it may be, whether it be Low 1-C, 2-A (which one isn't something I want to debate, but it applies to either), no matter how much you divide it up, the character scaling to a fraction of it will still indeed be the same exact tier, just unquantifiably lower, but the same tier none the less.

And as such, as I was saying, just because other verses may have some weird scaling like that, doesn't mean it applies here, if we wanna use the tiering system on it, then we have to deal with it as it applies, and no matter what you do, you can't arbitrarily assume a fraction of a source that no matter how much you divide it, wouldn't result in the same tier even if unquantifiably lower, would somehow result in something lower.
There is nothing that applies or has any foundation in this verse for that to be the case, as such, treat it as it should be logically.

And for wonky scaling, I don't see any wonky scaling here, just "dude absorbed a bit of a __ power, so he's __", so that sounds a bit of a personal issue.

It literally means that Ness' hits are comparable to Player's, since as Giygas could survive hits from Player, and Ness can damage him, there's not an uncountable infinite difference between them. Downscaling is a thing, is literally the same reason why Mega Mewtwo is 3-C/High 3-A due of it taking hits from Zygarde. And both Mewtwo and Giygas don't have any anti feat against such downscaling.
I find it hard to argue back when you casually say "downscaling is a thing". Because, it simply isn't. Downscaling is almost never used, and only used in very rare cases. In fact there was a staff thread about upscaling where this was also mentioned. Also hard to counter is that you mentioned downscaling is okay simply because there isn't any anti feat, which is also not the case. Other verses where this is happening are not really relevant, or they need a closer look too.

No no no, that's not how it works. That only applies to a finite source of energy you are absorbing, but this is an infinite power source given by the god tier. Because of how basic infinite works, it does make Ness the same tier.
Not really. You can absorb finite energy from an infinite energy source. You can run a finite portion on an infinitely long race track. You can take out a finite bite from an infinite cake.

Because that applies here. No matter how small a fraction it may be, whether it be Low 1-C, 2-A (which one isn't something I want to debate, but it applies to either), no matter how much you divide it up, the character scaling to a fraction of it will still indeed be the same exact tier, just unquantifiably lower.
Which I think I already covered in my very first comment here. Fiction, most of the time, doesn't follow the hard and fast rule of our tiering system that a fraction of infinity must be infinity, so we have be be flexible at times to accommodate logical scenarios. And I find it unreasonable to simply assume that without sufficient evidence.

I find it hard to argue back when you casually say "downscaling is a thing". Because, it simply isn't. Downscaling is almost never used, and only used in very rare cases. In fact there was a staff thread about upscaling where this was also mentioned. Also hard to counter is that you mentioned downscaling is okay simply because there isn't any anti feat, which is also not the case. Other verses where this is happening are not really relevant, or they need a closer look too.
You still didn't said anything about Ness scaling from Giygas durability tho. Player can harm Giygas, and the latter could survive few hits, Ness can harm Giygas as well, so both are Tier 1 because simple logic.
So I read from the thread regarding tiering system FAQ page, that a fraction of tier 1 power is still tier 1. So I'm confused now on what's the standard here.
Yeah, so why Ness is becoming an exception now?

So I read from the thread regarding tiering system FAQ page, that a fraction of tier 1 power is still tier 1. So I'm confused now on what's the standard here.
To clarify on that statement, he said a finite fraction, which basically means division of infinity is still mathematically infinity. For example, 5/7 x infinity = infinity. From what I am gathering, an unquantifiable energy is being absorbed in this case. The two are different, because you can absorb a finite amount of unquantifiable energy from an infinite energy source.

To clarify on that statement, he said a finite fraction, which basically means division of infinity is still mathematically infinity. From what I am gathering, an unquantifiable energy is being absorbed in this case. The two are different.
Except that it was absorbed clearly a solid part of ToTU, since Ness could absorb an actual piece of it which could even be touched.

Also there's the whole part of both Ness and Dark Dragon sharing the same power source, making them relative in power and thus making an uncountable infinite gap between them illogical in the context.

I think it'd be best if Ultima or DontTalk comment on this, I don't want to try and piece together what they meant in what they said rather then them just clarifying.

Which I think I already covered in my very first comment here. Fiction, most of the time, doesn't follow the hard and fast rule of our tiering system that a fraction of infinity must be infinity, so we have be be flexible at times to accommodate logical scenarios. And I find it unreasonable to simply assume that without sufficient evidence.
Hence the argument. You can't go "lol fiction" because it goes both ways, some verses do treat it like that, some don't.
As such, how does this verse treat it? That's rhetorical, it doesn't have any evidence or foundation to suggest what you're claiming here.
As such, call a spade a spade.
It's up to you to prove the negative AKM, why would the common sense not apply here? Especially in this case, if Low 1-C, it'll always be low 1-C even if it's not an infinite amount as per the very nature of that tier. For 2-A, fraction of 2-A is always 2-A. And as for diving infinity up to not infinity, that's actually just a real world application, not entirely exclusive the tiering system. The tiering system part I was mostly referring to Low 1-C shit, but the fact we also treat infinities like that too just speaks for the common sense.

You're essentially going "sometimes fiction can be weird so we have to treat this verse like that too", we don't, if there's no reason to treat it like that presented in context, why would we? Occam's razer exists, it be like it do untill we have reason to believe otherwise.

I think it'd be best if Ultima or DontTalk comment on this, I don't want to try and piece together what they meant in what they said rather thent hem just calrifying.
Yeah, notify one of them I guess.

@DontTalkDT

Your input would be appreciated here.

There is a discussion about when channelling power from an infinite power source should be considered on the same tier or not.

Personally I think that it depends case by case, given varying fictional standards from verse to verse.

There is a discussion about when channelling power from an infinite power source should be considered on the same tier or not.
Specifically from what I understand, it's less about channeling, and more he straight up absorbed a fraction of it permanently. It's now apart of him.

People are seriously misconstruing what "a finite fraction" means in that context. There is even a whole debate underneath that comment in the thread that's being completely ignored.

A finite fraction is referring to division. As in, you can divide 3, 54, 29, 1999, etc, with infinity and you still have infinity.

What that statement isn't referring to is that you have any finite "piece" of an infinity (in this case uncountable infinity) that you'd have infinity yourself. Think of it this way, if you have an infinitely long cupcake and you take a bite out of it, did you bite off a whole infinity? No, not really.

Same here. Absorbing/channeling a part of a powersource, doesn't scale to the powersource at all, only to what your feats are from that. Or if you had statements like "half of everything", or something explicit along those lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back