• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Major CRT for the SMB franchise

Dino_Ranger_Black

VS Battles
Retired
Hello, everyone. DRB here. First, I want to wish everyone a Happy New Year and I hope you all enjoyed your holiday. Now then, I like to make a major revision. I haven't really been active on the franchise this year tbh but it's due to the fact I was more focus on another franchise at the time and I had a new schedule regarding RL, specifically my current occupation, which some of you might notice. Plus, there's nothing much that happened in the franchise for me to check anyway…..at least this year. So…..I decided to do a little revision after looking at some of the additional pages and previous discussions about the franchise. I, unfortunately, still have rather strict schedule, so I won't be able to reply immediately, should anyone else have questions.

Gentle Pull Downgrade

Let's first start with, arguably, the biggest downgrade in the franchise. At first, I was against due to the multiple similar arguments recurring every time it was brought up but after giving it some thought and watching the ending again, I'm going to have to think otherwise. I believe the dialogue did not give enough context of it being a supreme being or some kind of being that's above everything and the dialogue itself doesn't seem to be geared towards all dimensions in the verse but rather just one. It seems that Rosalina is just describing a mysterious force rather than a being. I was told there was some kind of interview scan for this but I don't ever recalling it existing. I believe it's best to downgrade it to Unknown, from the speed to the AP. Ask for its abilities, I think we can limit it to Fate Manipulation and being able to defy Space and Time. If possible, we can also give it the possibility to scale it from the Grand Star but only if there's enough reasons for it.

Shadoo Downgrade

For those who don't know this character, Shadoo is an extra hidden boss that can be fought after completing the 100 Pits of Trails in Flopside, which can only be accessed after beating Super Paper Mario. I was unaware that he was given a profile until a few weeks ago. Naturally, being a boss that can be fought after beating the main game, he's harder/stronger than the final boss, Super Dimentio…….HOWEVER........this is only due to game mechanics.

Shadoo is only stronger gameplay-wise, not lore-wise. Being created from the Ancients does not make him comparable or confirms him possessing the power they do and he doesn't have anything hinting to be associated with either of the hearts. Plus, Mario and co. weren't equipped with the Pure Hearts in order to fight him. If there's any other support for this character's rating, please clarify. Otherwise, the 2-B rating has got to go.

Villains and Random Mooks' Tiers

Sometime last year, Ant has informed me on a profile about a Chain Chomp being powerscaled from Mario with reasons being largely based off of game mechanics. I cannot stress enough that we do not powerscale random enemies to the mainstream characters due to the sheer fact they confront them or hurt them, PIS or otherwise. We don't randomly scale a Heartless to Sora, even with the event of them dogpiling on him in KH2, so the same can't be done with ANY random enemy in the verse. If one do not agree with the stats of certain enemies, feel free to provide scans or calcs that proven otherwise but powerscaling is out of the question. These enemies only serve to be obstacles to these characters, not comparable adversaries. The sole exceptions are actual characters who are based off these enemies eg. Goombella.

The Tribe of the Ancients

Thankfully, the verse is still able to have top tiers in the form of The Ancient Tribe. According to the lore introduced in Super Paper Mario, The Ancients have not only created several universes but also created the Pure Hearts. It's not confirmed that they created every single known world, however, so we can't assume that they are responsible for the existence of all dimensions or worlds. The members of the tribe possesses powerful magic and intelligence, however, they are rather weak physically speaking. Due to this, they created Pixl to cultivate the world via manual labor after they create one. This would lead to the creation of the Pixl Queen who rebelled against the tribe. 12 Pixl and their Ancient partners confronted her but only one pair have survived.

I should note that this doesn't mean every single member, specifically the descendants of the Tribe and the ones known in current game, are powerful. After the war, it turns out that the Ancients powers have rapidly decreased and it became irreversable. This is due to the fact they sacrificed all their powers to nerf the Pixl in order to prevent this from happening again, which explains Count Bleck, a member of the Tribe of Darkness, needing the Chaos Heart and why only the Heroes of Light and the Pure Hearts could stop the Chaos Heart. This also supports the reason to downgrade Shadoo.

Due to this information, we can scale The Ancients up to 2-B via Creating the Pure Hearts and multiple worlds and unlike Shadoo, the Pixl Queen can actually be scaled off from them due to being able to fight them. But Lifting and Striking Strength has to be Unknow due to The Ancients not being known for their physical strength.

WarioWorld Revisions

For those of you unaware, a revision on WarioWorld was held a few months ago. According to the description of the game, the main antagonist, the Black Jewel, was stolen by Wario, who mistaken it for a treasure. Once the Black Jewel was awakened, it actually created an entire universe. Despite being able to confront it head on, we decided to regard it as an outlier for Wario for obvious powerscaling issues. However, there are characters who actually can be scaled off of him.

According to the intro, the Spritelings were able to overpower it and seal it way. Should a profile be made for the Spirtelings, it's probably should worth noting that the power is directly proportional to how many of them they are, since before restoring the world, one of the Spitelings stated that how huge Wario's castle is dependent on how many he was able to save.

Rosalina Revision

Finally, let's talk about Rosalina. Last year, she was downgraded due to the lack of proper context of the feat that occurred in Super Mario Galaxy. It was suggested to scale her off the Lumas from the fact that possessing multiple of their powers and should be comparable to them due to being their mother, as well as, being able to summon them but the argument against this is her being human and a surrogate mother, instead of her actual mother. This also lead to another reason people were against scaling her to the Lumas, which is Lumas being made of stars and according to Super Mario Galaxy, they can only be created from and quite possibly the reason or source of power of the Lumas' abilities.

R stuff
However, according to the Mario Kart 8 manual, she happens to be made of stars, which is the same thing the Lumas are made of and where they originate from. While it's true that in her backstory, she starts off as an ordinary human, this information completely debunks the fact she is still just is a mere human with magic powers. This means she only human in terms of appearance since her physiology is entirely cosmic now.

Now Rosalina still has no proof about her being involved with the universe recreation feat or any strong support of anything similar, however, she can have the Grand Star within her profile. She is its original owner and wielder before Bowser stole them and retained them at the end of the game. The only argument I can see against this is that fact that she never used it but this seems more of a case of "will she", rather than "can she". This is a similar argument with Mario and the Star Rod (With me being against including it in his inventory btw), only it doesn't work because not only Mario never use the Star Rod or has any possible indication that he's able to use it, he's never associated with it or its power. He's only known to fight against it. If Bowser is able to use the Grand Star in various ways, both in his schemes and himself, his son, Bowser Jr, can comprehend in being able to use it's power in some of his machines such as his lava reactor, and even Mario and Luigi is capable of using it to create Time-Space portals, then someone with her vast knowledge on it and the universe itself, as well as sporting enough power to create a barrier to tank it, should logically be able to as well. Just because she hasn't use it, doesn't mean she can't.

Conclusion

The Gentle Pull is downgraded into Unknow and its Speed and Abilities will be removed altogether.

The Gentle Pull will no longer be referred to as a supreme deity due to the vague dialogue and it's only known abilities will be its ability to manipulate fate and defying space and time. Its influence will not be noted to have an affected across different worlds. It's possible to scale it off from the Grand Star but only with enough valid reasons.

Shadoo will be downgraded from 2-B to the base stats of the characters who fought him.

The Tribe of Ancients and Pixl Queen will be 2-B.

Spirtelings will be Low 2-C but with specific notes.

Rosalina in base will still be 4-C. This time it will be from 4-C to 3-C via with the current reasons in her profile, as well as, being comparable to Lumas. The Grand Star will be listed under her standard equipment, being it's owner and original wielder, giving her another key.

If the interview scan doesn't exist then the Gentle Pull profile should just be deleted tbh. Even then, we'd just be left with a profile with completely unknown statistics and abilities based off of somewhat vague statements.

Shadoo downgrade is fine, especially since the main cast did not need to power up at all to fight him.

Rosalina upgrade is fine, grand star key is fine as well for the same reason that Luigi has a pure hearts key. If he's never used it or shown an intention to use it, Mario should have the Star Rod removed from his equipment (although I can't find it on his profile, not sure he has it).

Actually, I'm pretty sure the interview exists, but might have been asking the wrong people. Perhaps it was Azathoth who knew about it, but regardless. I suppose a temporary downgrade for Gentle Pull at least till it's found may be in order.

I strongly agree with Shadoo's downgrades + he's not even stronger than Super Dimentio. Just look at this.

I agree that the mooks should scale from their own feats; but it was found on another thread that there was a 9-A and an 8-C calculations that fodder enemies have performed. May link those later. Here and here.

Tribe of the Ancients stuff is interesting, I can agree to that. And we already had multiple discussions about the size of the multiverse being really big degrees of 2-B.

Wario World stuff is good.

Rosalina stuff is mostly good, but there was another thread proposing upgrades for her. Her magic barriers still have Universal durability, and she still has her reality warping powers. Which it's her magic that sustaining the power of the force fields. Perhaps she isn't physically tier 2 and would just be High 4-C physically, but the star additions are good.

Lastly, there are other upgrades planned. We have found several more 4-A feats from Super Mario Sunshine and and Yoshi's Story.

The so-called Gentle Pull has been discussed in great detail on this thread (https://vsbattles.com/vsbattles/3415906) and whilst a similar conclusion was reached, it's speed was deemed worthy of being ominpresent, and its range was considered being upgraded. As there has been much more discussion on the topic there, I think the conclusions of that thread should be the revisions applied to the profile instead.

The Shadoo downgrade feels like a makes a lot of sense, though I have seen this form of scaling, even outside of JRPG settings where stats of bosses can be analysed, being used on this wiki. It still feels like an inflated result though, and I don't particularly agree with the idea "order of bosses = strength of bosses" by default anyway, so I think this downgrade is a step in the right direction.

Whilst I've seen a few folks, who are mainly more conservative when it comes to this franchise, argue Chain Chomps may very well scale to Mario (also, there are statements in Prima Guides that seem to treat them as a dangerous enemy best avoided), I can see why this would be the case and so I wouldn't really mind this downgrade. With that said, I'm neutral on the topic.

The proposal for the two civilsations seem pretty fair.

Rosalina being comparable to the Lumas makes a lot of sense, I feel, though for reasons discussed on this thread (https://vsbattles.com/vsbattles/3799691), such as this seeming way too vague for the folks at Prima to write this bio with the intention of the reader clearly getting this interpretation and it being more comparable to the real world principle (which she references at the end of SMG) that the chemical elements, which compose basically everything we know, were indeed made by stars (or... just "ace stuff", "tough stuff", "great stuff" boasting, considering these bios are advertising the characters to the player). With that said, I don't think it severs the conclusion in terms of scaling exactly... As for the Grand Star, considering Rosalina is listed as a wielder on its profile, I think it's more than safe to add it to her equipment.

Stuff addressed in the comments seems to be leaching in from other threads, so I'd rather give my thoughts there. All in all, a pretty nice CRT.

Yeah. Order of bosses sequentially scaling to higher and higher levels of strength depends on the verse, tbh. Sometimes it's legit, like a villain sending in weaker enemies and graduating to their elites as you keep beating their ranks, but in cases like Zelda or Mario, we need proper context.

Honestly, idk if this will go anywhere, but I'm of the opinion that the "gentle pull" doesnt deserve a page given it's a vague concept offhandedly mentioned by Rosalina with no real definition. We have no idea if it's the concept of love, a person, player interference, etc...

They leave it incredibly open ended on purpose, and I dont see the point of it having a page here when it's hard to ever pit it in a real Vs scenario while its existence is only supported by a character who uses vague language to describe it and the concept is never touched again.

People do think Rosalina sort of references it in the second game when you save her from having her comet drained. But yeah, It's all just speculative.

@Emile, Mario didn't have or need the Pure Hearts to beat Shadoo; where as Count Bleck and Super Dimentio are both 100% invincible without them. That's another reason for Shadoo's downgrade. Plus, look at the video I linked regarding him.

Chain Chomps do not scale to Mario for multiple reasons. In Super Mario Bros 3, then can get easily one-shotted by Hammer Mario, and they aren't portrayed as being all that big in that game. They're not nearly as big or tough as the Thwomps and Whomps; Thwomps also get one-shotted by Hammer Mario. Plus, Mario regularly defeats chain chomps who are just considered fodder enemies in the RPGs; meaning they're definitely far below the bosses.

I mean, to be fair, Whomps also get easily dispatched by Mario via a simple Ground Pound nowadays. I wouldn't say Chain Chomps are lesser than them. The only one I can see that being true for is a Thwomp. But a Whomp isn't scaling above a Chain Chomp in my eyes.

That's more so a weak point, rather than a physical status, but okay. Plus in the 3D Mario games, Whomps do give more damage than chain chomps usually. But we don't make Thwomps Tier 4 either.

I agree with chain chomps not being tier 4. Also I still want to know what are we all agreeing to the upgrades and abilities cause there is alot imo. mostly:

1. Bowser rework

2. 4-A upgrades

3. Shiny Paper Mario abilities

4. Strong 2-B characters

5. The ancients

6. 2-B star rod etc.

Yeah, all of that should be saved for another thread; for now, let's focus on the OP's stuff. We don't want DRB feeling overwhelmed.

HomestuckLover1 said:
Honestly, idk if this will go anywhere, but I'm of the opinion that the "gentle pull" doesnt deserve a page given it's a vague concept offhandedly mentioned by Rosalina with no real definition. We have no idea if it's the concept of love, a person, player interference, etc...
They leave it incredibly open ended on purpose, and I dont see the point of it having a page here when it's hard to ever pit it in a real Vs scenario while its existence is only supported by a character who uses vague language to describe it and the concept is never touched again.
I agree with all of this actually. At the very least it should be matchbanned since it's a completely unknown and speculative entity

DarkDragonMedeus said:
@Emile, Mario didn't have or need the Pure Hearts to beat Shadoo; where as Count Bleck and Super Dimentio are both 100% invincible without them. That's another reason for Shadoo's downgrade.
I mean, I partially feel like the latter point was a reason for the 2-B rating (Mario and co couldn't attack Bleck, and later Super Dimentio, because of the forcefield/aura from the Chaos Heart, but as soon as that protection was taken away by the Pure Hearts, they could combat them... Shadoo not having any shield to have to break through being a reason why they didn't need the Pure Hearts), but I can understand why not having the Pure Hearts makes the downgrade all the more valid. I was more so just bringing up an odd little practice we have here that might have been why Shadoo was given such an inflated tier.

Plus, look at the video I linked regarding him.
The cheese is real! Also, hey look, it's my namesake.

Chain Chomps do not scale to Mario for multiple reasons. In Super Mario Bros 3, then can get easily one-shotted by Hammer Mario, and they aren't portrayed as being all that big in that game. They're not nearly as big or tough as the Thwomps and Whomps; Thwomps also get one-shotted by Hammer Mario. Plus, Mario regularly defeats chain chomps who are just considered fodder enemies in the RPGs; meaning they're definitely far below the bosses.
I feel like that Chain Chomp we see in SM64 could smash through the Whomps with absolutely no issue... With that said, I can see the arguments for and against certain high tiered enemies, so yeah, I'll stay neutral. (Hammer Mario is just OP, he can one-shoot Boom Boom and everything. If the Koopalings didn't resist his hammers, he'd probaby one shot them too!)

I feel like "the Gentle Pull" should still retain its omnipresent speed and multiversal range due to its true name, according to Rosalina, being the desire to be reunited with someone special to you, which is present in games like Partner's in Time, where Peach travels back in time and enters a change of events where Shroobs invade, yet Mario will still be there to be reunited with her, Super Paper Mario, where even traversing the Underwhere and Overthere (basically heaven and hell, thus other worlds), Mario will still be reunited with the Luigi and Peach (and I supposed Bowser since they were allies at this time), among other cases (such as going to the centre of the universe in the SMG games, going to Booster's tower in a retconned geography in Mario RPG, etc). Basically, it very much so transcends space and time and its range shows this, as addressed on the thread dedicated to this force linked above. Whilst Rosalina's proposed classification seems a sketchy and it maybe being too harsh on high tier enemies like Chomps, everything else seem pretty fair to be applied.

I agree Omnipresent and Multiversal range is good to keep for Gentle Pull, but I'm against page deletion unless we want to add passive Fate Manipulation for various Mario characters.

Also, Chain Chomps vary in size and possibly tier. Perhaps the Giant Chain Chomps are stronger than Whomps, but they still don't scale from Mario regardless.

I think that we agreed to give it an unknown tier, but not to delete it.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
I agree Omnipresent and Multiversal range is good to keep for Gentle Pull, but I'm against page deletion unless we want to add passive Fate Manipulation for various Mario characters.
Except the "gentle pull" isnt described as something the Mario characters are controlling or causing. The deletion in my honest opinion is absolutely necessary since the "gentle pull" itself has literally almost no real information on it. If we gave a profile page for every supposed concept or character that only exists in an offhanded mention with no information outside of that, this entire wiki would be filled with nonsense.

Does the Gentle Pull actually have fate manipulation? And does it protect Mario? If so then we can add it to Mario since this is basically the same thing for Ness.

DatOneWeeb said:
Does the Gentle Pull actually have fate manipulation? And does it protect Mario? If so then we can add it to Mario since this is basically the same thing for Ness.
It's implied to be some force that brings Mario towards a happy ending, but that could very well just be his love for Peach, player manipulation, etc... It's hard to call fate manipulation, when, again, we have almost no information on it.

I don't think that's for his love for Peach because he's never gotten to be with her. Anyways, if it brings Mario a "happy" ending that seems to imply that his adventures will have him winning due to the Gentle Pull which sounds like fate manipulation. What does everyone else think?

Seem reasonable. Plus he can have resistance to fate_manipulation via Dark Prognosticus since they already knew that years before hand that 4 heroes were gonna be consumed by the void

DatOneWeeb said:
I don't think that's for his love for Peach because he's never gotten to be with her. Anyways, if it brings Mario a "happy" ending that seems to imply that his adventures will have him winning due to the Gentle Pull which sounds like fate manipulation. What does everyone else think?
Their romance is completely official though, with many pieces of media to prove it. And that doesnt mean in the slightest that his love for her doesnt blatantly guide him toward saving her all the time.

Again, its not something he controls, and we dont even know if its an outside force or something about him in particular. It shouldnt be mentioned unless you're going to put "possible fate manipulation" as opposed to saying he just has it when we have nothing to prove it.

Yes, Mario loves Peach. But they are not an actual couple. Sure he saves her partially because he loves her, but that doesn't mean "happy" ending refers to that.

Ness has fate manipulation for the same reason, he doesn't actually have it, but it's on his profile because he's always protected.

Back