• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Zoro can sense the breathe of all things meaning he knows where objects will lands, meaning he can technically sense where luffy will place his pieces + his minimal precogntion. I'll vote zoro since in opening 12 he was shown capable of contending with the Genius Robin in a different board game (although he did ultimately lose) so his combat experience should be superor to Luffy's who we haven't seen play a board game (at least I think)

I almost cut your throat for doing the boring Luffy vs Zoro.

Good thing it's not the classic way.

Luffy's Precognition is more useful than the basic display Zoro possess. That's a moot point.

Both are brain dead for these things tho.

Thank you for your kind words.

Is that an inconclusive?

A chess match? Luffy wins easily, I don't think either of them would know how to play chess but assuming they can, Luffy just knows every move Zoro is going to make due to his Kenbunshoku haki.

inco.luffy will basicallt get bored of it and leave and zoro would get lost;EVEN WHEN PLAYING CHESS

Zoro. Along with playing Robin in a game of Reversi in OP12, he's also actually been drawn playing chess in a color spread in the manga.

Oh, there's also the fact that Zoro's smarter than Luffy. While Luffy can see into the future, I doubt that'll help because I don't expect him to know what to do even if the basics of the game are explained to him. This is the same guy that understood Franky telling him his former shipwright master's brother was recoating their ship as "so he's a shipwright who's coating Franky's brother".

Yeah, Zoro got this.

I must say it's quite hilarious picturing Bound-Man Luffy and Asura Zoro playing a chess game.

What are peoples counters to Luffy just seeing every move Zoro makes and countering it with his Future Sight?

Breathe of ally things + his own limited future sight + analytical Prediction could even out with future sight of not add Zoro being slightly smarter than Luffy then he should have it.

Eminiteable said:
Breathe of ally things + his own limited future sight + analytical Prediction could even out with future sight of not add Zoro being slightly smarter than Luffy then he should have it.
Breath of all things? What's that? Luffy has the voice of all things, voice > breath (lol). But seriously, how does this help Zoro?

His CoO is vastly vastly inferior to Luffy's at present, they shouldn't even be in the same sentence let alone compared.

Analytical prediction isn't that just his CoO, why are you referencing them separately?

Breathe of all things appeared in the Mr 1 fight (although it's implied he's been in the state before against Hachi and Kuma) it allowed him to know where the rubble from a builiding would fall before it happened and allowed him to know where his swords were below all the rubble.

Analytical Prediction isn't precognition, however his precognition + analytical Prediction would improve his overall precog further than what his level allows.

For these three abilities + Zoro having experience in board games and probably being slightly smarter than Luffy when it comes to these things he would achieve victory.

The BOAT is overrated. It's just a basic display of Haki which is fodder to any competent Haki user which is fodder to Luffy's level.

And his Analytical Prediction would only tell him what's Luffy next instant move, unless you can prove he has some kind of tactical awareness like Meruem where he sees all possible scenarios.

Eminiteable said:
Breathe of all things appeared in the Mr 1 fight (although it's implied he's been in the state before against Hachi and Kuma) it allowed him to know where the rubble from a builiding would fall before it happened and allowed him to know where his swords were below all the rubble.
Analytical Prediction isn't precognition, however his precognition + analytical Prediction would improve his overall precog further than what his level allows.

For these three abilities + Zoro having experience in board games and probably being slightly smarter than Luffy when it comes to these things he would achieve victory.
Heavily disagree, Luffy's Future Sight gives him the decisive win and pretty much nothing you said gives Zoro the ability to match nor overcome it.

There's also the fact that I don't recall Zoro ever using "Breath of all things" conciously since when he used it against Mr 1 it happened automatically due to him almost dying whereas Luffy can consciously and actively use his Future Sight.

Lastly, how does Zoro having played a board game before even matter? OP states that they're explained how to play Chess in this instance and it's not like Zoro routinely plays board games, it was like once against Robin.

Nah I'm saying all three used would help reduce the disadvantage of being against future sight, obviously just using one won't grant him a good enough victory but utilizing them all might allow him to keep up.

Someone with experience playing board games has a vast advantage over someone who has just learned the rules.

He should have mastered it considering after Alabasta he said he would train to use it all will, he's likely done so now considering he had several arcs and a 2 year time-skip with a sword master to train it.

Eminiteable said:
Someone with experience playing board games has a vast advantage over someone who has just learned the rules.
He should have mastered it considering after Alabasta he said he would train to use it all will, he's likely done so now considering he had several arcs and a 2 year time-skip with a sword master to train it.
Again, to my knowledge Zoro has literally played once, you can't even call that experience let alone use it as an advantage Zoro has. He's never demonstrated the ability to activate it at will so as far as I'm concerned, he can't.

RoronoaxRobin said:
he's also actually been drawn playing chess in a color spread in the manga.
Although it's not a board game he was also shown winning several times while gambling in that one episode against the Yakuza (which is happened off screen in the manga) so that's three times we've seen him regularly partake in games like this.

As for BOAT it's implied that haki and it are used in unison for the Shishi Sonson technique, against the dragon in punk hazzard he effortlessly cut off its head with the technique without having to be at the verge of death.

Eminiteable said:
RoronoaxRobin said:
he's also actually been drawn playing chess in a color spread in the manga.
Although it's not a board game he was also shown winning several times while gambling in that one episode against the Yakuza (which is happened off screen in the manga) so that's three times we've seen him regularly partake in games like this.
Gambling is nothing like Chess, and even if Zoro had played Chess 10 times, he still wouldn't be experienced at it because it takes a lot more than that. Why are you reaching so hard for Zoro to win here?

It shows a tactical mindset and implies he take part in it far more often that Luffy who has never, it's not reaching I'm just looking at it from all angles rather than going Future Sight GG.

But this thread is Future Sight gg lol. I'm not saying it to spite Zoro, it's just factually how it goes, every move Zoro makes Luffy can foresee and counter, there's no winning this for Zoro. Like, even if Zoro was a chess master, he can't beat somebody that can literally see and perfectly counter all his moves.

I'm going to be brutally honest. With Future Sight, Luffy has a little chance of winning.

I'll elaborate later, but this is mainly an inconclusive with Luffy having a slight advantage.

Couldn't he change his mind after Luffy used future sight similar to how Luffy bear Katakuri? Unlike in battle it's based on turn based thus Luffy could read the future but Zoro simply changes his decision before placing his piece.

Eminiteable said:
Couldn't he change his mind after Luffy used future sight similar to how Luffy bear Katakuri? Unlike in battle it's based on turn based thus Luffy could read the future but Zoro simply changes his decision before placing his piece.
Luffy's Future Sight is much better now than it was against Katakuri, and is there any reason why Luffy can't just see Zoro changing his decision?

No but Katakuri's future sight could be beaten by Luffy simply "changing the future", Katakuri saw Luffy attacking him and dodged but the attack continued on and Luffy attacked him, Luffy waited until after Katakuri had foreseen the future before he attacked. That was made possible due to snakeman in combat but against someone in a turn based game or requires no speed Zoro can just take his time it's not like Luffy can see minutes into the future it's described as several seconds (which is alot in combat)

Eminiteable said:
No but Katakuri's future sight could be beaten by Luffy simply "changing the future", Katakuri saw Luffy attacking him and dodged but the attack continued on and Luffy attacked him, Luffy waited until after Katakuri had foreseen the future before he attacked. That was made possible due to snakeman in combat but against someone in a turn based game or requires no speed Zoro can just take his time it's not like Luffy can see minutes into the future it's described as several seconds (which is alot in combat)
That was moreso due to Snakemans speed to be honest, Snakeman was faster than Katakuri could actively use his Future sight since as you said, it's only a few seconds. While you do make a good point about Luffy only being able to see a few seconds into the future, there's no reason he can't just actively use it in intervals, so while it may only last a few seconds, he could keep using it for a minute with breaks if that makes sense. Is Zoro aware of Luffy's Future Sight? I can't remember if he became aware of it in Wano.

He's aware Luffy already had better observation during dressrosa, but considering Luffy is kind of stupid if Luffy was able to take an important piece from Zoro he would probably catch on.

Eminiteable said:
He's aware Luffy already had better observation during dressrosa, but considering Luffy is kind of stupid if Luffy was able to take an important piece from Zoro he would probably catch on.
... Zoro isn't a genius, by all accounts he's only slightly more intelligent than Luffy but he's still pretty moronic. If he's not aware of his Future Sight then there's really no way he's going to try to counter it by changing his moves at the last second or drawing out his turn to throw off Luffy's Future Sight.

Yeah I'm not a genius either yet that conclusion came to me pretty quickly, Zoro has precognition himself so he should be aware how to exploit something even longer by waiting. His intelligence isn't that great true (although no canon) he was shown contending against usopp in a colour spread at chess and against robin in an opening so he's got experience and some intelligence to keep up with them.

Eminiteable said:
Yeah I'm not a genius either yet that conclusion came to me pretty quickly, Zoro has precognition himself so he should be aware how to exploit something even longer by waiting.
Bruh... "I came to that conclusion so so will Zoro", did you really just try saying this... You're completely aware of Luffy's Future Sight and you clearly want Zoro to win. PS. Why are you continuing to use non-canon material?

It's a conclusion that Luffy himself came too when fighting Katakuri, it was more difficult for Luffy since he wasn't given opportunity to transform and he was fighting a superior opponent in speed, abilities and powers who could also seen into the future. This meant he had to match him in precognition if he wanted a chance in beating him but the overall conclusion of simply waiting them out was something he already knew.

As mentioned Zoro (unlike Luffy in the kat fight) isn't burdened with not having time to wait or being against an overall superior foe, he simply needs to beat future sight which he should be capable of.

You claimed that Zoro needed to have genius intelligence to come to that conclusion which is factually wrong. At least for the colour spread it's an interpretation of Zoro's and Usopp's character from Oda and can be interpreted that he's saying Zoro and Usopp know how to play chess, which considering there isn't anything else to go on but try rank vague intelligence that's better than nothing.

Eminiteable said:
It's a conclusion that Luffy himself came too when fighting Katakuri, it was more difficult for Luffy since he wasn't given opportunity to transform and he was fighting a superior opponent in speed, abilities and powers who could also seen into the future. This meant he had to match him in precognition if he wanted a chance in beating him but the overall conclusion of simply waiting them out was something he already knew.
As mentioned Zoro (unlike Luffy in the kat fight) isn't burdened with not having time to wait or being against an overall superior for, he simply needs to beat future sight which he should be capable of.

You claimed that Zoro needed to have genius intelligence to come to that conclusion which is factually wrong.
And now you're comparing Luffy's fight with Katakuri to a chess match between Zoro and Luffy. You're right, Zoro's gonna just say, "Wait a minute, that move Luffy made was pretty weird, hmm, I wonder if he has Future Sight! Yes that's it, now I'm going to second guess my decisions and purposely prolong my turns to counteract it." Probably a Zoro fans wet dream for how this match goes.

And when I said Genius, I wasn't specifically referring to Genius tier on this Wiki, rather just noticeably more intelligent than both Zoro and Luffy.

Lastly, Luffy didn't just figure it out from that one fight, it was multiple encounters with Katakuri that revealed it.

Luffy came up with Snakeman to counter future sight users because Rayleigh told him about them, it wasn't the beatings from kat that made Luffy realise the weakness in future sight (in fact previously when he used boundman he just made kat distracted to overcome future sight). He wasn't able to use that against kat while in base since kat wouldn't give Luffy time to breathe nor was the playing field even on each side (kat >>> Luffy, but in chess both sides are equal).

Back