• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Lord of the Rings Ancalagon Downgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
As JustANormalLemon and XitSign noticed here the villains of the first age have a pretty bad AP scaling, something that will need some time to get fixed

Buuuut one thing that can easily fixed is Ancalagon size

You see, we are talking about a character that only appeared briefly during The Silmarilion climax, his true proportions were unfortunately never specified (Not even in the various essays and fragments left by Tolkien)

But we can surely say he is just not "The size of a small country", the more conservative tends to a 150 meters size, the one ring wiki states something the size of a mountain since he destroyed with his fall after death a mountain which by itself could had 10 Km height, never saw a Tolkien scholar suggest a size like that.

With his the following changes should be made on the profile:

• Large Size (At minimum Type 2, likely Type 3)
  • Lifting Strength: At least Class M, possibly higher via sheer size
  • Range: Possible kilometres due to his size alone

As JustANormalLemon and XitSign noticed here the villains of the first age have a pretty bad AP scaling, something that will need some time to get fixed

Buuuut one thing that can easily fixed is Ancalagon size

You see, we are talking about a character that only appeared briefly during The Silmarilion climax, his true proportions were unfortunately never specified (Not even in the various essays and fragments left by Tolkien)

But we can surely say he is just not "The size of a small country", the more conservative tends to a 150 meters size, the one ring wiki states something the size of a mountain since he destroyed with his fall after death a mountain which by itself could had 10 Km height, never saw a Tolkien scholar suggest a size like that.

With his the following changes should be made on the profile:

• Large Size (At minimum Type 2, likely Type 3)
  • Lifting Strength: At least Class M, possibly higher via sheer size
  • Range: Possible kilometres due to his size alone
Only just noticed this now, but do you mind posting this here? We have a discussion thread going on (although progress is slow) and we're currently just finishing up the Ainur.

Okay. Then it can probably be applied, but it seems best to wait a bit for the other members that I sent a notification to first.

Thank you. It is probably fine to apply then, or should we wait further?

I mean, most of his size claims are hyperbolic or flat out lies, people tend to oversize him a lot. There is a quote about him being the biggest of (winged) dragons, but not much to go by that.

People usually say he should be mountain sized because of his moutain breaking feat but, while he should be fairly large from crushing three peaks, Durin's Bane broke a mountainside and Balrogs are not that much bigger than Noldor.

Okay, so what should we do here exactly then?

It's probably safe to apply. It's not really a controversial change and there's no real reason to support the prior rating. Like Moonshadow mentioned, a Balrog can break a mountainside, despite only being larger than an average Noldo Elf (maybe 10-14 feet high? Point is, nowhere near the size of a mountain).

Did the changes!

One more thing, the verse page also states that Ancalagon was country size, it is okay for me to also change the text there?
The entire verse page needs changes, but if you want to do them then please do! I'm doing my exams, so having to change everything manually is taking time (although I'm nearly done soon).

Yes, that should be fine.

Tell us here when you are done, and when we should close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back