• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Lord of the Rings general revision thread: Return of the Thread

Regarding the scaling of Ancalagon the Black...

We all know that Ancalagon currently sits at High 7-A on the chart right now. But I believe this paragraph may put him on the level of certain Maiar:

"But he loosed upon his foes the last desperate assault that he had prepared, and out of the pits of Angband there issued the winged dragons, that had not before been seen; and so sudden and ruinous was the onset of that dreadful fleet that the host of the Valar was driven back, for the coming of the dragons was with great thunder, and lightning, and a
tempest of fire." - The Silmarillion: Chapter 24 - Of the Voyage of Eärendil and the War of Wrath

While indeed Ancalagon isn't directly mentioned, note that the winged dragons drove back the Host of the Valar, which was led by Eönwë and consisted of Edain, Calaquendi, and some Maiar (but no Valar). And the winged dragons, likely including Ancalagon, drove them back until Eärendil came in clutch. Therefore, this would make Ancalagon and his squad of winged dragons High 3-A, aka High Universal

Last edited:
Another reply I wanna make...

A certain individual on Quora expressed that some scalings of Eru Ilúvatar are inaccurate, and provided this as proof:

"The Other Power then took over: the Writer of the Story (by which I do not mean myself), 'that one ever-present Person who is never absent and never named'* (as one critic has said). See Vol. I p. 65. Actually referred to as 'the One' in App. A III p. 317 1. 20. The Númenóreans (and Elves) were absolute monotheists." - Don't know the precise source, but if anyone can find it, please let me know

So in summary, this states that Tolkien saw Eru as much as a creator and literary maker as himself, a real-life person. So in conclusion, this should make Eru Ilúvatar Tier 0, aka Boundless

And to continue this, I wanna also bring something up regarding the True Forms of the Ainur.

"They are ‘divine’, that is, were originally ‘outside’ and existed ‘before’ the making of the world. Their power and wisdom is derived from their Knowledge of the cosmogonical drama, which they perceived first as a drama (that is as in a fashion we perceive a story composed by someone else), and later as a ‘reality’. On the side of mere narrative device, this is, of course, meant to provide beings of the same order of beauty, power, and majesty as the ‘gods’ of higher mythology, which can yet be accepted – well, shall we say baldly, by a mind that believes in the Blessed Trinity." - THE SILMARILLION, FROM A LETTER BY J.R.R. TOLKIEN TO MILTON WALDMAN, 1951

The paragraph above emphasizes that the original unbound Ainur, both Maiar and Valar, have certain control over the narrative standpoint of Tolkien's world and literature. This would put them at Low 1-A, aka Low Outerversal.

I've also compiled a Google Document containing scalings for the Tolkien-verse, so if you wanna check it out, it's right here (note that I don't have the sources for any of the paragraphs, but if you know any of them, feel free to let me know):

Being a "real life person" is not the baseline for Tier 0, we have countless pages that profess to be about real-life individuals in a metafictional sense.

The paragraph above emphasizes that the original unbound Ainur, both Maiar and Valar, have certain control over the narrative standpoint of Tolkien's world and literature. This would put them at Low 1-A, aka Low Outerversal.
Ainur is already qualified for 1A now since they have r>f transcendence over Eä and about Eru being Tier 0, he is already qualifies for Tier 0 according to Ultima's new Tier 0 system too so there's that.

While indeed Ancalagon isn't directly mentioned, note that the winged dragons drove back the Host of the Valar, which was led by Eönwë and consisted of Edain, Calaquendi, and some Maiar (but no Valar). And the winged dragons, likely including Ancalagon, drove them back until Eärendil came in clutch. Therefore, this would make Ancalagon and his squad of winged dragons High 3-A, aka High Universal

While I am somewhat against scaling Ancalagon and co to every individual member of the Host (driving an army back doesn't require one to do anything more than beating back the majority, which would be tier 7 Elves), I do think scaling to High 3-A is reasonable enough.

Thorondor was stated to be part of the force that confronted the Winged Dragons and he was capable of leaving permanent scars on Morgoth's face (albeit a very diminished Morgoth).

That alone probably gets likely scaling since, while not outright stated, it's very likely Ancalagon was met by Thorondor at least once. Not a solid rating though. since only Eärendil and Ancalagon explicitly met.

"But Eärendil came, shining with white flame, and about Vingilot were
gathered all the great birds of heaven and Thorondor was their captain, and there was battle in the air all the day and through a dark night of doubt. Before the rising of the sun Eärendil slew Ancalagon the Black, the mightiest of the dragonhost, and cast him from the sky; and he fell upon the towers of Thangorodrim, and they were broken in his ruin."

Another reply I wanna make...

A certain individual on Quora expressed that some scalings of Eru Ilúvatar are inaccurate, and provided this as proof:

"The Other Power then took over: the Writer of the Story (by which I do not mean myself), 'that one ever-present Person who is never absent and never named'* (as one critic has said). See Vol. I p. 65. Actually referred to as 'the One' in App. A III p. 317 1. 20. The Númenóreans (and Elves) were absolute monotheists." - Don't know the precise source, but if anyone can find it, please let me know

So in summary, this states that Tolkien saw Eru as much as a creator and literary maker as himself, a real-life person. So in conclusion, this should make Eru Ilúvatar Tier 0, aka Boundless

Well Eru in Tolkien's mind is literally God, this much is made very clear. However, this is not tier 0, just an instance R>F at best.

That being said Ultima argue Eru is a Monad which is tier 0 in his proposed revision for tier 0.

And to continue this, I wanna also bring something up regarding the True Forms of the Ainur.

"They are ‘divine’, that is, were originally ‘outside’ and existed ‘before’ the making of the world. Their power and wisdom is derived from their Knowledge of the cosmogonical drama, which they perceived first as a drama (that is as in a fashion we perceive a story composed by someone else), and later as a ‘reality’. On the side of mere narrative device, this is, of course, meant to provide beings of the same order of beauty, power, and majesty as the ‘gods’ of higher mythology, which can yet be accepted – well, shall we say baldly, by a mind that believes in the Blessed Trinity." - THE SILMARILLION, FROM A LETTER BY J.R.R. TOLKIEN TO MILTON WALDMAN, 1951

Their R>F status over Eä and all Sub-creation means the're be 1-A anyway, it just needs to be settled in a revision thread.

While I am somewhat against scaling Ancalagon and co to every individual member of the Host (driving an army back doesn't require one to do anything more than beating back the majority, which would be tier 7 Elves), I do think scaling to High 3-A is reasonable enough.

Thorondor was stated to be part of the force that confronted the Winged Dragons and he was capable of leaving permanent scars on Morgoth's face (albeit a very diminished Morgoth).

That alone probably gets likely scaling since, while not outright stated, it's very likely Ancalagon was met by Thorondor at least once. Not a solid rating though. since only Eärendil and Ancalagon explicitly met.

"But Eärendil came, shining with white flame, and about Vingilot were
gathered all the great birds of heaven and Thorondor was their captain, and there was battle in the air all the day and through a dark night of doubt. Before the rising of the sun Eärendil slew Ancalagon the Black, the mightiest of the dragonhost, and cast him from the sky; and he fell upon the towers of Thangorodrim, and they were broken in his ruin."
That is probably fine then.

For the record, I haven't given it a deep look, but at a glance the docs is quite contradictory at times (not that's unexpected since Tolkien goes back and forth with ideas) and doesn't always take things into full context (Sauron tanks the Lightning of Manwë because they were warning shots to the Númenóreans if anything).

There's also some factually incorrect statements. Melkor does not rival all the Ainur at once, he's had fellow Fallen Ainur fighting alongside him since his first rebellion. He outright flees when faces by the collective might of the Ainur (minus Tulkas) alone in the Ainulindalë.

I will not comment on the notion of planes (though I will note there seems to be something there, though ultimately it might end up irrelevant due to 1-A) as I plan to cover metaphysics at a later date.

Ah bugger, I forgot to add the Immeasurable speed changes in the last revision. I'll make sure to do them as part of the next revision.

Beyond-scientific/Multiversal Arda:

There are places, such as the pits of the Nameless Things, where the concept of Time is not valid, meaning that these places are beyond the very concept of Time:

«We fought far under the living earth, where time is not counted. Ever he clutched me, and ever I hewed him, till at last he fled into dark tunnels. They were not made by Durin’s folk, Gimli son of Glóin. Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he. Now I have walked there, but I will bring no report to darken the light of day. In that despair my enemy was my only hope, and I pursued him, clutching at his heel. Thus he brought me back at last to the secret ways of Khazad-dum: too well he knew them all. Ever up now we went, until we came to the Endless Stair.’»

There are limitless and infinite extensions of Time and Space within Arda:

«It [The Lord of the Rings} was written slowly and with great care for detail, & finally emerged as a Frameless Picture: a searchlight, as it were, on a brief episode in History, and on a small part of our Middle-earth, surrounded by the glimmer of limitless extensions in time and space. (2)”

This may be not very helpful, but Arda was not even a Mathematical or Biological place, not even our physical sciences can not held Arda, no, it was a Narrative point in Ea:

«With regard to the relation of Arda to Ea, the assertion that the principal demiurgic Ainur (the Valar), including the originally greatest of all, Melkor, had taken up their 'residence' in Arda, ever since its establishment, also implies that however minute Arda was dramatically the chief point in Ea. These views are not mathematical or astronomical, or even biological, and so cannot be held necessarily to conflict with the theories of our physical sciences.»

With this scaling, Arda is a Multiverse, or a Narrative beyond our scientific theories.

Credit to Sandra Balderas on Quora for these scans

Beyond-scientific/Multiversal Arda:

There are places, such as the pits of the Nameless Things, where the concept of Time is not valid, meaning that these places are beyond the very concept of Time:

«We fought far under the living earth, where time is not counted. Ever he clutched me, and ever I hewed him, till at last he fled into dark tunnels. They were not made by Durin’s folk, Gimli son of Glóin. Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he. Now I have walked there, but I will bring no report to darken the light of day. In that despair my enemy was my only hope, and I pursued him, clutching at his heel. Thus he brought me back at last to the secret ways of Khazad-dum: too well he knew them all. Ever up now we went, until we came to the Endless Stair.’»
They are older than the Ainur hence time applies to them. The Ainur had no age until they entered into Eä and thus time so all they need to be older than them is be here from before their descent date.

It's fundamentally impossible to say anything is truly "older" (since time doesn't apply to that point of their life) than the Ainur in origin, minus Eru as they are explicitly His first creations.
"There was Eru, the One, who in Arda is called Ilúvatar; and he made first the Ainur, the Holy Ones, that were the offspring of his thought, and they were with him before aught else was made."
There are limitless and infinite extensions of Time and Space within Arda:

«It [The Lord of the Rings} was written slowly and with great care for detail, & finally emerged as a Frameless Picture: a searchlight, as it were, on a brief episode in History, and on a small part of our Middle-earth, surrounded by the glimmer of limitless extensions in time and space. (2)”

This may be not very helpful, but Arda was not even a Mathematical or Biological place, not even our physical sciences can not held Arda, no, it was a Narrative point in Ea:

«With regard to the relation of Arda to Ea, the assertion that the principal demiurgic Ainur (the Valar), including the originally greatest of all, Melkor, had taken up their 'residence' in Arda, ever since its establishment, also implies that however minute Arda was dramatically the chief point in Ea. These views are not mathematical or astronomical, or even biological, and so cannot be held necessarily to conflict with the theories of our physical sciences.»

With this scaling, Arda is a Multiverse, or a Narrative beyond our scientific theories.

Credit to Sandra Balderas on Quora for these scans
This is a fundamental misunderstanding of sentence structure, grammar, etc from the Quora.

"It [The Lord of the Rings} was written slowly and with great care for detail, & finally emerged as a Frameless Picture: a searchlight, as it were, on a brief episode in History, and on a small part of our Middle-earth, surrounded by the glimmer of limitless extensions in time and space."

Now, to break it down, "It" (LotR) is a frameless picture/searchlight on a brief history = This is a snippet of events from the history of the Legendarium in the same way a history book is a snippet of events from our history.

"on a small part of our Middle-earth" - LotR focuses on the Westlands, not the totality of Arda. This is a literal statement.

"surrounded by the glimmer of limitless extensions in time and space." - This small snippet of history and geography is a small finite portion of all the space and time of Eä, aka the universe. Infinite space and Infinite time make up the universe of which Arda is a small part of, with the story of LotR being an even smaller fraction of that.

Which book is this scan from? Also reference the page too.

It's found in Morgoth's Ring under

PART FOUR.

ATHRABETH FINROD AH ANDRETH.
So you are saying that this quote is from morgoth's ring?

So does this scale the valar and Maiar higher than High 3A and Low 2C in Eä?
"It is certainly the case with the Elvish traditions that the prin- cipal part of Arda was the Earth (Imbar 'The Habitation'),(12) as the scene of the Drama of the war of the Valar and the Children of Eru with Melkor: so that loosely used Arda often seems to mean the Earth: and that from this point of view the function of the Solar System was to make possible the existence of Imbar. With regard to the relation of Arda to Ea, the assertion that the principal demiurgic Ainur (the Valar), including the originally greatest of all, Melkor, had taken up their 'residence' in Arda,(13) ever since its establishment, also implies that however minute Arda was dramatically the chief point in Ea. These views are not mathematical or astronomical, or even biological, and so cannot be held necessarily to conflict with the theories of our physical sciences. We cannot say that there 'must' be elsewhere in Ea other solar systems 'like' Arda, still less that, if there are, they or any one of them must contain a parallel to Imbar. We cannot even say that these things are mathematically very 'likely'. But even if the presence elsewhere in Ea of biological 'life' was demonstrable, it would not invalidate the Elvish view that Arda (at least while it endures) is the dramatic centre."

By itself, no. Saying Arda is the centrepiece of Eä is stating the obvious. It's where the Children of Ilúvatar reside and where the majority of the Ainur descended.

It's like saying Earth is the centrepiece of human civilisation.

The additional commentary is a discussion of such a view in relation to real theories of science. In science, Earth is not the centerpiece of a cosmological showdown between good and evil after all. The rest of it is a discussion of life on other worlds which has no real relevance to the Legendarium.

Worst of all is the fact that this is partly an "Elvish Tradition", not fact. There may be similar cosmological struggles with other incarnates and Ainur on other worlds (albeit far lesser in scale).

"The drama of Arda is the present concern of Ea.' Actually it is plainly the view of the Elvish tradition that the Drama of Arda is unique. We cannot at present assert that this is untrue."

Worlds like the imbar(earth) and other planets?
Possibly. Versions of his writing have some of the Ainur go off to make other worlds for example, and the Valar + Maiar were working on the overall universe before Arda.

But again, it's not really relevant beyond potential fun for fanfiction I suppose.

I FINALLY found the source for this. It's from Letter #192

Yeah this is already being used as part of the R>F justification. Sorry I didn't respond to that, missed that request.
It's cool. So what are the scalings currently at as of now? I heard that it now scales to 1-A, but the wiki pages still say Low 1-C. I assume they haven't been unlocked yet or they haven't been edited yet?

Oh and by the way, since Eönwë is labeled as the 'Greatest of Arms in Arda', wouldn't that give him Weapon Mastery? And since he's a Maia of Manwë, wouldn't Eönwë also have Air and Weather Manipulation just like Manwë does? And since his page also says he has some control over war, won't that also give him War Manipulation? (Ik that doesn't exist on the VSBW page, but it does in the Superpower Wiki)

It's cool. So what are the scalings currently at as of now? I heard that it now scales to 1-A, but the wiki pages still say Low 1-C. I assume they haven't been unlocked yet or they haven't been edited yet?
1-A R>F was accepted but has not been implemented into the system yet.

Oh and by the way, since Eönwë is labeled as the 'Greatest of Arms in Arda', wouldn't that give him Weapon Mastery? And since he's a Maia of Manwë, wouldn't Eönwë also have Air and Weather Manipulation just like Manwë does? And since his page also says he has some control over war, won't that also give him War Manipulation? (Ik that doesn't exist on the VSBW page, but it does in the Superpower Wiki)
Weapon mastery yes, other stuff maybe.

My next revision is all Individual abilities.

Individual Abilities: Part 1: Aragorn

Initially the plan was to group Aragorn with the other less "haxed" characters, but he ended up having enough of his own stuff that the list was becoming rather long. Unlike even characters like Galadriel, Aragorn doesn't really have similar profiles as he is pretty much the only proper Dúnedain character we have (minus Boromir somewhat and Faramir moreso) until Elendil and maybe Isildur get profiles, meaning a fair bit of the stuff he gets is only for him rather than shared amongst characters. A race page with all the racial abilities might be worthwhile for the future.

Note: No scans for the immediate revisions (these will be made with imgur upon resolution), although lines and sources will be quoted. As a general revision, all 9-B and above characters should receive Superhuman_Physical_Characteristics by default. This should not be controversial.

Elves and comparable characters (which is for a future scaling revision) should also be capable of Subsonic "Combat Speed", as their limbs can move faster than human sight when sufficiently motivated

"To a Man Elves appear to speak rapidly (but with clarity and precision) unless they a little ret**d (old english) their speech for Men’s sake; to move quickly and featly, unless in urgency, or much moved, or eager in their work, when the movement of their hands, for instance, become too swift for human eyes to follow closely. Only their perception, and their thought and reasoning, seems normally beyond human rivalry in speed."

Aragorn:
Already on profile but has been needing justifications:

Longevity: He lived in his physical prime till 210 years old and could have lived longer if he wanted to. Dúnedain can give up their life before their body begins to "wither" and age beyond their prime.
    • "...many of the Chieftains of the North still lived to twice the age of Men, and far beyond the days of even the oldest amongst us. Aragorn indeed lived to be two hundred and ten years old, longer than any of his line since King Arvegil; but in Aragorn Elessar the dignity of the kings of old was renewed."
  • [*]"Take counsel with yourself, beloved, and ask whether you would indeed have me wait until I wither and fall from my high seat unmanned and witless. Nay, lady, I am the last of the Nu ´meno ´reans and the latest King of the Elder Days; and to me has been given not only a span thrice that of Men of Middle-earth, but also the grace to go at my will, and give back the gift. Now, therefore, I will sleep."
    [*]
  • [*]"It was also the Elvish (and uncorrupted Númenórean) view that a 'good' Man would or should die voluntarily by surrender with trust before being compelled (as did Aragorn). This may have been the nature of unfallen Man ; though compulsion would not threaten him: he would desire and ask to be allowed to 'go on' to a higher state."
    [*]
Weapons Mastery: Although most famous for usage swords, Aragorn fought in many wars at sea, land, and on horseback. Alongside Eomer and Imrahil, he was the only one to come out of the Battle of Pelennor Fields unscathed, putting him as one of the most skilled warriors in the War of the Rings. He goes throughout the entire Trilogy practically unscathed in fact (I really need to put this somewhere more easily accessible and in a less heated format).
    • "He rode in the host of the Rohirrim, and fought for the Lord of Gondor by land and by sea; and then in the hour of victory he passed out of the knowledge of Men of the West, and went alone far into the East and deep into the South, exploring the hearts of Men, both evil and good, and uncovering the plots and devices of the servants of Sauron"
  • [*]"These three were unscathed, for such was their fortune and the skill and might of their arms, and few indeed had dared to abide them or look on their faces in the hour of their wrath."
    [*]
  • [*]"Andu ´ril rose and fell, gleaming with white fire. A shout went up from wall and tower: ‘Andu ´ril! Andu ´ril goes to war. The Blade that was Broken shines again!’
    Dismayed the rammers let fall the trees and turned to fight; but the wall of their shields was broken as by a lightning-stroke, and they were swept away, hewn down, or cast over the Rock into the stony stream below. The orc-archers shot wildly and then fled."
    [*]
Supernatural Willpower + Additional resistance to Mind Manipulation: Was capable of mentally wrestling with Sauron to take control of the Orthanc-Stone from him, albeit this was partly due to the fact the Stones fell under his authority as an heir to Gondor and Arnor
  • [*]"He drew a deep breath. ‘It was a bitter struggle, and the weariness is slow to pass. I spoke no word to him, and in the end I wrenched the Stone to my own will."[*]
    • [*]"That alone he will find hard to endure. And he beheld me. Yes, Master Gimli, he saw me, but in other guise than you see me here. If that will aid him, then I have done ill. But I do not think so. To know that I lived and walked the earth was a blow to his heart, I deem; for he knew it not till now. The eyes in Orthanc did not see through the armour of The´oden; but Sauron has not forgotten Isildur and the sword of Elendil. Now in the very hour of his great designs the heir of Isildur and the Sword are revealed; for I showed the blade re-forged to him. He is not so mighty yet that he is above fear; nay, doubt ever gnaws him.’"
      [*]
  • Albeit he could not do this if Sauron was here before his person + not a battle through the Palantir
    • [*]" In the contest with the Palantír Aragorn was the rightful owner. Also the contest took place at a distance, and in a tale which allows the incarnation of great spirits in a physical and destructible form their power must be far greater when actually physically present. Sauron should be thought of as very terrible."[*]
  • He should also possess a superior will to Denethor (who is said to have had a great will, being capable of resisting Sauron for years), given Aragorn was implied to possess the greatest power and will out of all mortals, given Tolkien uses him as an example of who might wield the Ring and withhold it from him.
    • "Denethor remained steadfast in his rejection Sauron, but was made to believe that his victory was inevitable, and so fell into despair. The reasons for this difference were doubt that in the first place Denethor was a man of great strength of will, and maintained the integrity of his personality until the final blow of the (apparently) mortal wound of his only surviving son.
    • [*]"In any case a confrontation of Frodo and Sauron would soon have taken place, if the Ring was intact. Its result was inevitable. Frodo would have been utterly overthrown: crushed to dust, or preserved in torment as a gibbering slave. Sauron would not have feared the Ring! It was his own and under his will. Even from afar he had an effect upon it, to make it work for its return to himself. In his actual presence none but very few of equal stature could have hoped to withhold it from him. Of 'mortals' no one, not even Aragorn."[*]
  • He also remarkably rejects the Ring while it is offered to him. Something only Faramir replicates from among mortals, and Gandalf at an earlier point.
    • [*]"‘Then it belongs to you, and not to me at all!’ cried Frodo in amazement, springing to his feet, as if he expected the Ring to be demanded at once.
      ‘It does not belong to either of us,’ said Aragorn; ‘but it has been ordained that you should hold it for a while.’
      "
      [*]
  • The force of his will is capable of allowing others to overcome their terror, even animals
    • "‘This is an evil door,’ said Halbarad, ‘and my death lies beyond it. I will dare to pass it nonetheless; but no horse will enter.’ ‘But we must go in, and therefore the horses must go too,’ said Aragorn. ‘For if ever we come through this darkness, many leagues lie beyond, and every hour that is lost there will bring the triumph of Sauron nearer. Follow me!’ Then Aragorn led the way, and such was the strength of his will in that hour that all the Du ´nedain and their horses followed him. And indeed the love that the horses of the Rangers bore for their riders was so great that they were willing to face even the terror of the Door, if their masters’ hearts were steady as they walked beside them."

Not on profile yet:
Magic: "Magic" in LotR can only be inherited and not learned. He primarily uses this for healing and potentially cursing
  • [*]"Anyway, a difference in the use of 'magic' in this story is that it is not to be come by by 'lore' or spells; but is in an inherent power not possessed or attainable by Men as such. Aragorn's 'healing' might be regarded as 'magical', or at least a blend of magic with pharmacy and 'hypnotic' processes. But it is (in theory) reported by hobbits who have very little notions of philosophy and science; while A. is not a pure 'Man', but at long remove one of the 'children of Luthien'."
    [*]
Possibly Curse Manipulation/Death Manipulation/Limited Causality Manipulation: Magic in LotR is inherited, and Isildur was capable of cursing an entire civilisation of men to become an undead host should the Last Alliance succeed against Sauron. Aragorn never gets the chance to prove if he is capable of doing the same to oathbreakers (as in literal oath breakers), but he does lay a similar, albeit far less extreme version of this curse upon his blade.
    • "But when Sauron returned and grew in might again, Isildur summoned the Men of the Mountains to fulfil their oath, and they would not: for they had worshipped Sauron in the Dark Years. ‘Then Isildur said to their king: ‘‘Thou shalt be the last king. And if the West prove mightier than thy Black Master, this curse I lay upon thee and thy folk: to rest never until your oath is fulfilled."
  • "Slowly Aragorn unbuckled his belt and himself set his sword upright against the wall. ‘Here I set it,’ he said; ‘but I command you not to touch it, nor to permit any other to lay hand on it. In this Elvish sheath dwells the Blade that was Broken and has been made again. Telchar first wrought it in the deeps of time. Death shall come to any man that draws Elendil’s sword save Elendil’s heir.’"
    • Possible Causality Manipulation as this is a "cause and effect" situation.
Blessed: The lifespan and "grace" of the Númenóreans were almost entirely restored in Aragorn
  • "The rate of the Half-elven that chose to join the Quendi was evidently in Middle-earth 100 : 1. (For those who joined Men a special rate of growth was established, approximately 3 : 1, though this diminished, but was in Aragorn almost restored: he was 5 : 2)."
  • [*]"It would appear that the “grace” accorded to the Númenóreans was like that of Aman: it did not alter the human rate of growth to maturity, but postponed the decay of old age after that for a long while – until one knew inwardly (by a motion of the fëa) that the time had come to relinquish life in this world voluntarily. [12] If one did not do so, but clung to life, senility would soon arise. If Aragorn had yielded to Arwen’s entreaties, he would have become decrepit, at least in body, very soon."
    [*]
  • "The dwindling of the Dúnedain was not a normal tendency, shared by peoples whose proper home was Middle-earth; but due to the loss of their ancient land far in the West, nearest of all mortal lands to “The Undying Realm”. In both Arnor and Gondor, apart from mixture of race, the Númenóreans showed a dwindling of height and longevity in Middle-earth that became more marked as the Third Age passed."
    • This is because their long lives were part of a blessing that came alongside their isle, stature, etc. - "This the Númenóreans recognized as due to the “grace of the Valar” (which might be withheld in general or in particular cases, if it ceased to be merited): the land was blessed, and all things, including the Sea, were friendly to them."
    • [*]"Long life and Peace were the two things that the Edain asked for when the Valar offered them reward at the fall of Thangorodrim. Peace was readily granted; long life not so readily, and only after Manwë had consulted Eru... The remainder of the people were granted a life-span about five times as long as that of ordinary Men: that is, they would die, whether by free resignation or not, somewhere within the limits of 350 to 420 years. [1] Within these limits individuals, and also families, [Author’s Note 1] differedin natural life-span, as they did before the Grace was given."
      [*]
  • This blessing does grant a few other characteristics:
    • Empathic Manipulation: Detailed below
    • Enhanced Senses:
      • [*]"In addition the people, tall and strong, were agile, and extremely “aware”: that is they were in control of their bodily actions, and of any tool or material they handled, and seldom made absent-minded or blundering movements; and they were very difficult to take “off their guard”. Accidents were thus unlikely to occur to them."
        [*]
    • Regeneration (Low):
      • [*]"If any did, they had a power of recovery and self-healing, which if inferior to that of the Eldar, was much greater than that of Men in Middle-earth."
        [*]
    • Resistance to Disease Manipulation:
      • [*]"A second marriage was permitted, by traditional law, if one of the partners died young, leaving the other in vigour and still with a need or desire of children; but the cases were naturally very rare. Death untimely, whether by sickness or mischance, seldom occurred in the early centuries."
        [*]
    • Telepathy:
      • He has long sight. He can perceive, if he bends his will thither, much of what is passing in the minds of men, even of those that dwell far off. It is difficult to deceive him, and dangerous to try.
Social Influencing: Aragorn's reputation as Strider does seem to insight some degree of awe and fear inside Breelanders. Rangers in general are distrusted,
    • "But Strider seemed to be held in awe by most of the Bree-landers, and those that he stared at shut their mouths and drew away."
  • "A broad stairway climbed from the Deep up to the Rock and the rear-gate of the Hornburg. Near the bottom stood Aragorn. In his hand still Andu ´ril gleamed, and the terror of the sword for a while held back the enemy, as one by one all who could gain the stair passed up towards the gate."
    • Also his enemies begin to back away from him once they repeatedly experience his skill at swordplay
Empathic Manipulation: Alongside Social Influencing, Aragorn does seem capable of just outright inspiring awe in people who look upon him + it is a Númenórean trait.
  • Note: Númenóreans in general resembled Elves in appearance, inciting awe into humans (even their Middle-Earth kinsmen until further communication revealed their similarities). When Aragorn is in "full majesty" (aka, not dressed as a ranger, aka in kingly or noble garb) he is said to resemble an elf.
      • "Thus it came about that there was a meeting between them on the Tower Hills; and to that meeting with the Númenóreans came twelve Men only out of Eriador, Men of high heart and courage, for most of their people feared that the newcomers were perilous spirits of the Dead. But when they looked on the shipmen fear left them, though for a while they stood silent in awe; for mighty as they were themselves accounted among their kin, the shipmen resembled rather Elvish lords than mortal Men in bearing and apparel."
    • [*]"The native people were fairly numerous and warlike, but they were forest-dwellers, scattered communities without central leadership. They were in awe of the Númenóreans, but they did not become hostile until the tree-felling became devastating."
      [*]
    • Aragorn is little different in this regard, having a good amount of the blessings remaining within him. Even Arwen mistakes him for an elf in one of his "better maintained" moments.
      • [*]"But Aragorn was grown to full stature of body and mind, and Galadriel bade him cast aside his wayworn raiment, and she clothed him in silver and white, with a cloak of elven-grey and a bright gem on his brow. Then more than any king of Men he appeared, and seemed rather an Elf-lord from the Isles of the West. And thus it was that Arwen first beheld him again after their long parting; and as he came walking towards her under the trees of Caras Galadhon laden with flowers of gold, her choice was made and her doom appointed."
        [*]
  • "In the stern sat Aragorn son of Arathorn, proud and erect, guiding the boat with skilful strokes; his hood was cast back, and his dark hair was blowing in the wind, a light was in his eyes: a king returning from exile to his own land."
    • Once his face is fully uncovered, even those who know him (like Frodo who is narrating this line) look upon him with kingly awe. Albeit only when his majesty is "fully unveiled" - "...Then the light of his eyes faded, and he spoke to himself" two sentences later.
      • [*]Prior to the Battle of Pelennor Fields, he hid his true identity and majesty - "...yet he seemed to Men worthy of honour, as a king that is in exile, when he did not hide his true shape"
        [*]
    • Few are capable looking him in the face when this "light" shines in his eyes
    • "‘Thus he became at last the most hardy of living Men, skilled in their crafts and lore, and was yet more than they; for he was elven-wise, and there was a light in his eyes that when they were kindled few could endure. His face was sad and stern because of the doom that was laid on him, and yet hope dwelt ever in the depths of his heart, from which mirth would arise at times like a spring from the rock."
  • "Gimli and Legolas looked at their companion in amazement, for they had not seen him in this mood before. He seemed to have grown in stature while Eomer had shrunk; and in his living face they caught ´ a brief vision of the power and majesty of the kings of stone. For a moment it seemed to the eyes of Legolas that a white flame flickered on the brows of Aragorn like a shining crown."
    • One of the more blatant examples. His majesty is such that it looks like a crown of flames is on his head.
  • For his best showing, he is capable of inspiring doubt and hesitation in a significant portion of the 10,000+ strong army of Isengard.
    • "‘I have still this to say,’ answered Aragorn. ‘No enemy has yet taken the Hornburg. Depart, or not one of you will be spared. Not one will be left alive to take back tidings to the North. You do not know your peril.’ So great a power and royalty was revealed in Aragorn, as he stood there alone above the ruined gates before the host of his enemies, that many of the wild men paused, and looked back over their shoulders to the valley, and some looked up doubtfully at the sky. But the Orcs laughed with loud voices; and a hail of darts and arrows whistled over the wall, as Aragorn leaped down."
      • Albeit it does not work on the Uruks, who laugh it off.
        • "At last Aragorn stood above the great gates, heedless of the darts of the enemy. As he looked forth he saw the eastern sky grow pale. Then he raised his empty hand, palm outward in token of parley. The Orcs yelled and jeered. ‘Come down! Come down!’ they cried. ‘If you wish to speak to us, come down! Bring out your king! We are the fighting Uruk-hai. We will fetch him from his hole, if he does not come. Bring out your skulking king!’ ‘The king stays or comes at his own will,’ said Aragorn. ‘Then what are you doing here?’ they answered. ‘Why do you look out? Do you wish to see the greatness of our army? We are the fighting Uruk-hai.’ ‘I looked out to see the dawn,’ said Aragorn. ‘What of the dawn?’ they jeered. ‘We are the Uruk-hai: we do not stop the fight for night or day, for fair weather or for storm. We come to kill, by sun or moon. What of the dawn?’ ‘None knows what the new day shall bring him,’ said Aragorn. ‘Get you gone, ere it turn to your evil.’ ‘Get down or we will shoot you from the wall,’ they cried. ‘This is no parley. You have nothing to say.’ ‘I have still this to say,’ answered Aragorn. ‘No enemy has yet taken the Hornburg. Depart, or not one of you will be spared. Not one will be left alive to take back tidings to the North. You do not know your peril.’ So great a power and royalty was revealed in Aragorn, as he stood there alone above the ruined gates before the host of his enemies, that many of the wild men paused, and looked back over their shoulders to the valley, and some looked up doubtfully at the sky. But the Orcs laughed with loud voices; and a hail of darts and arrows whistled over the wall, as Aragorn leaped down."

Resistance to Fear Manipulation
  • The Army of the Dead was capable of driving enemies to suicide out of fear but Aragorn had no issues with confronting and commanding them
    • The Army of the Dead driving the Corsairs to great terror by their very presence -
      "But the Haradrim, being now driven to the brink, turned at bay, and they were fierce in despair; and they laughed when they looked on us, for they were a great army still. ‘But Aragorn halted and cried with a great voice: ‘‘Now come! By the Black Stone I call you!’’ And suddenly the Shadow Host that had hung back at the last came up like a grey tide, sweeping all away before it. Faint cries I heard, and dim horns blowing, and a murmur as of countless far voices: it was like the echo of some forgotten battle in the Dark Years long ago. Pale swords were drawn; but I know not whether their blades would still bite, for the Dead needed no longer any weapon but fear. None would withstand them. ‘To every ship they came that was drawn up, and then they passed over the water to those that were anchored; and all the mariners were f illed with a madness of terror and leaped overboard, save the slaves chained to the oars. Reckless we rode among our fleeing foes, driving them like leaves, until we came to the shore. And then to each of the great ships that remained Aragorn sent one of the Du´nedain, and they comforted the captives that were aboard, and bade them put aside fear and be free. ‘Ere that dark day ended none of the enemy were left to resist us; all were drowned, or were flying south in the hope to find their own lands upon foot. Strange and wonderful I thought it that the designs of Mordor should be overthrown by such wraiths of fear and darkness. With its own weapons was it worsted!’"
    • He commands the dead without issue -
      "But Aragorn dismounted, and standing by the Stone he cried in a great voice: ‘Oathbreakers, why have ye come?’ And a voice was heard out of the night that answered him, as if from far away: ‘To fulfil our oath and have peace.’
      Then Aragorn said: ‘The hour is come at last. Now I go to Pelargir upon Anduin, and ye shall come after me. And when all this land is clean of the servants of Sauron, I will hold the oath fulfilled, and ye shall have peace and depart for ever. For I am Elessar, Isildur’s heir of Gondor.’"
Items:
Andúril:
Invulnerability (for the sword alone): Galadriel blessed the blade that lies within her gifted sheath to be unbreakable as long as Aragorn.
  • [*]"‘Here is the gift of Celeborn and Galadriel to the leader of your Company,’ she said to Aragorn, and she gave him a sheath that had been made to fit his sword. It was overlaid with a tracery of flowers and leaves wrought of silver and gold, and on it were set in elven-runes formed of many gems the name Andu´ril and the lineage of the sword. ‘The blade that is drawn from this sheath shall not be stained or broken even in defeat,’ she said. ‘But is there aught else that you desire of me at our parting? For darkness will flow between us, and it may be that we shall not meet again, unless it be far hence upon a road that has no returning.’"
    [*]
Light Manipulation: It is constantly said that Andúril and its former self as Narsil emitted a "flame" or "light" in battle.
    • "Andúril came down upon his helm. There was a flash like flame and the helm burst asunder."
  • [*]"For you are needed. The light of Andúril must now be uncovered in the battle for which it has so long waited."
    [*]
  • [*]"Charging from the side, they hurled themselves upon the wild men. Andúril rose and fell, gleaming with white fire."
    [*]
  • [*]When its predecessor was broken, its light goes out - "But Narsil was broken and its light extinguished, and it has not yet been forged again."
    [*]
  • It's predecessor Narsil also explicitly emits the light of the Sun and Moon. It can be assumed this is the source of the blade's light
  • "...the sword of Elendil filled Orcs and Men with fear, for it shone with the light of the sun and of the moon, and it was named Narsil."
    • As such, the sword should also get Holy Manipulation, as the Sun and Moon are holy, with the rays of the Sun in particular harming evil
        • "These Yavanna took; and then the Trees died, and their lifeless stems stand yet in Valinor, a memorial of vanished joy. But the flower and the fruit Yavanna gave to Aulë, and Manwë hallowed them, and Aulë and his people made vessels to hold them and preserve their radiance: as is said in the Narsilion, the Song of the Sun and Moon."
      • "Narsil is a name composed of 2 basic stems without variation or adjuncts: √NAR 'fire', & √THIL 'white light'. It thus symbolised the chief heavenly lights, as enemies of darkness, Sun (Anar) and Moon (in Q) Isil.*" - Even the name of Narsil name derives from the position of the Sun and Moon as objects opposed to darkness and thus evil.

The Elessar/Elfstone: It is left relatively unclear which Elessar Aragorn had, as some versions have two being made and some versions only have one. The versions that have two have the newer one as being weaker that the original, but both have the same effect.

Healing + Age Manipulation:
    • "For it is said that those who looked through this stone saw things that were withered or burned healed again or as they were in the grace of their youth, and that the hands of one who held it brought to all that they touched healing from hurt."
  • [*]""The Elessar I leave with thee, for there are grievous hurts to Middle-earth which thou maybe shalt heal. But to none other shalt thou deliver it." And indeed at Sirion's Haven there were many hurts to heal both of Men and Elves, and of beasts that fled thither from the horror of the North; and while Eärendil dwelt there they were healed and prospered, and all things were for a while green and fair."
    [*]
  • Two versions of events in-univese
      • "In ages after there was again an Elessar, and of this two things are said, though which is true only those Wise could say who now are gone. For some say that the second was indeed only the first returned, by the grace of the Valar; and that Olórin (who was known in Middle-earth as Mithrandir) brought it with him out of the West."
    • [*]" The other tale runs so: that long ago, ere Sauron deluded the smiths of Eregion, Galadriel came there, and she said to Celebrimbor, the chief of the Elven-smiths: "I am grieved in Middle-earth, for leaves fall and flowers fade that I have loved, so that the land of my dwelling is filled with regret that no Spring can redress."... Therefore he took thought, and began a long delicate labour, and so for Galadriel he made the greatest of his works (save the Three Rings only). And it is said that more subtle and clear was the green gem that he made than that of Enerdhil, but yet its light had less power. For whereas that of Enerdhil was lit by the Sun in its youth, already many years had passed ere Celebrimbor began his work, and nowhere in Middle-earth was the light as clear as it had been, for though Morgoth had been thrust out into the Void and could not enter again, his far shadow lay upon it. Radiant nonetheless was the Elessar of Celebrimbor; and he set it within a great brooch of silver in the likeness of an eagle rising upon outspread wings." Wielding the Elessar all things grew fair about Galadriel, until the coming of the Shadow to the Forest. But afterwards when Nenya, chief of the Three," was sent to her by Celebrimbor, she needed it (as she thought) no more, and she gave it to Celebrían her daughter, and so it came to Arwen and to Aragorn who was called Elessar"
      [*]
  • Fundamentally it matters little, the effects are not clear enough for it to really be important here.
The Palantír of Orthanc: One of the Seven Seeing Stones (He also has the Palantír of Anor, but that one's only able to show Denethor's hands burning unless he uses his strong will to force the image to change)

Clairvoyance + Telepathy + Limited Mind Manipulation: They can be used to see images of things from afar + can be used to communicate with other users of the Palantíri. They can even be used to attack or defend against other users.
  • "‘Each palantı ´r replied to each, but all those in Gondor were ever open to the view of Osgiliath. Now it appears that, as the rock of Orthanc has withstood the storms of time, so there the palantı ´r of that tower has remained. But alone it could do nothing but see small images of things far off and days remote. Very useful, no doubt, that was to Saruman; yet it seems that he was not content. Further and further abroad he gazed, until he cast his gaze upon Barad-duˆ r. Then he was caught!"
    • An basic summary by Gandalf
  • "In the case of Denethor, the Steward was strengthened, even against Sauron himself, by the fact the Stones were far more amenable to legitimate users: most of all to true "Heirs of Elendil" (as Aragorn), but also to one with inherited authority(as Denethor), as compared to Saruman, or Sauron. It may noted that the effects were different. Saruman fell under the domination of Sauron and desired his victory, or no longer opposed it. Denethor remained steadfast in his rejection Sauron, but was made to believe that his victory was inevitable, and so fell into despair. The reasons for this difference were doubt that in the first place Denethor was a man of great strength of will, and maintained the integrity of his personality until the final blow of the (apparently) mortal wound of his only surviving son."
    • It can be used to mentally dominate other users.
  • [*]"The palantíri could not themselves survey men's minds, at unawares or unwilling; for the transference of thought depended on the wills of the user on either side, and thought (received as speech) 21 was only transmittable by one Stone to another in accord"
    [*]
The Elendilmir of Elendil (he has another one called the Elendilmir of Valandil, but it's unknown if it possesses the exact same qualities)
Light Manipulation + Fear Manipulation:
  • [*]"But the Elendilmir of the West could not be quenched, and suddenly it blazed forth red and wrathful as a burning star. Men and Orcs gave way in fear; and Isildur, drawing a hood over his head, vanished into the night."
    [*]

Should be removed:
Non-Physical Interaction: Unfortunately, he does not lock blades with a ghost in the books.

Last edited:

Individual Abilities: Part 1: Continued

Not too much exciting here, just generic additions, some of which might get removed later in a future racial abilities revision.

This is for tier 9 characters. The Nine are being saved for an "evil" revision while the Hobbits are kind of a topic in their own right. Shouldn't be much there but Frodo gets stuff from the One Ring (he can kinda actually use it at the end) and their stats might need changing.

Boromir:
Weapons Mastery: Somewhat comparable to Aragorn as the fellow "strongest warrior" of the Fellowship (as observed by Legolas and Frodo).
  • Of the Fellowship, Boromir is compared to Aragorn in terms of his ability to slay orcs
    • "Legolas shot two through the throat. Gimli hewed the legs from under another that had sprung up on Balin’s tomb. Boromir and Aragorn slew many
  • Singlehandedly slays enough orcs and uruks that it forms a pile around him, although he is mortally wounded in the process. It is later revealed that he was facing over a hundred orcs
    • "A mile, maybe, from Parth Galen in a little glade not far from the lake he found Boromir. He was sitting with his back to a great tree, as if he was resting. But Aragorn saw that he was pierced with many black-feathered arrows; his sword was still in his hand, but it was broken near the hilt; his horn cloven in two was at his side. Many Orcs lay slain, piled all about him and at his feet."
    • Then Boromir had come leaping through the trees. He had made them fight. He slew many of them and the rest fled. But they had not gone far on the way back when they were attacked again, by a hundred Orcs at least, some of them very large, and they shot a rain of arrows: always at Boromir.
  • Implied by Faramir to be the best warrior in Gondor, a kingdom that had grown to value skill in battle over other skills due to the demand of war
    • "...we still hold that a warrior should have more skills and knowledge than only the craft of weapons and slaying, we esteem a warrior, nonetheless, above men of other crafts. Such is the need of our days. So even was my brother, Boromir: a man of prowess, and for that he was accounted the best man in Gondor."

Limited Sound Manipulation: By blowing the Horn of Gondor, Boromir can unleash a sound that stuns and dismays enemies. Even the Balrog briefly stopped upon being confronted with it
  • "The dark figure streaming with fire raced towards them. The orcs yelled and poured over the stone gangways. Then Boromir raised his horn and blew. Loud the challenge rang and bellowed, like the shout of many throats under the cavernous roof. For a moment the orcs quailed and the fiery shadow halted. Then the echoes died as suddenly as a flame blown out by a dark wind, and the enemy advanced again."
  • Boromir had blown his great horn till the woods rang, and at first the Orcs had been dismayed and had drawn back; but when no answer but the echoes came, they had attacked more fiercely than ever.
Blessed: Although blessed to a lesser extent than Aragorn or even his brother and father, Boromir is noted to be of high Númenórean lineage. However, as the actual blessing is notably weakened, the four abilities it gives should either not be used or rated as a "possibly"
  • The Númenóreans before the Downfall were a people of great stature and strength, the Kings of Men; their full-grown men were commonly 7 ft. tall... Aragorn, his direct descendant, in spite of the many intervening generations, must still have been a very tall and strong man with a great stride; he was probably at least 6 ft. 6. Boromir, of high Númenórean lineage, would not be much shorter: say 6 ft. 4.
  • Of the blessings, Emapthic Manipulation should be missing as it is not really commented on, unlike with Aragorn or Faramir to a lesser extent. Telepathy should also be missing for a reason quoted below. The other three are as follows and are given details in the Aragorn proposal above.
    • Enhanced Senses:
    • Regeneration (Low):
    • These should only be rated as "possibly" as the blessings are not said to run "nearly true" in him as his brother. Telepathy is a notable missing feature he lacks
      • ‘He is not as other men of this time, Pippin, and whatever be his descent from father to son, by some chance the blood of Westernesse runs nearly true in him; as it does in his other son, Faramir, and yet did not in Boromir whom he loved best. He has long sight. He can perceive, if he bends his will thither, much of what is passing in the minds of men, even of those that dwell far off. It is difficult to deceive him, and dangerous to try.
Legolas
Interesting stuff like Elves being ambidextrous and able to walk atop snow without issue aside, there may be more stuff for Legolas that will emerge for a future race abilities page but that's for the future

Weapons Mastery: Prince of the Woodland Realms and the best archer in the Fellowship... a title which isn't that impressive but he's very good. He claims to be capable shooting Eomer before he can strike down Gimli. Eomer being described as one of the only 3 warriors skilled and lucky enough atthe Pelennor Fields not to be injured.
  • " Master Dwarf, if it stood but a little higher from the ground,’ said Eomer.
    ‘He stands not alone,’ said Legolas, bending his bow and fitting an arrow with hands that moved quicker than sight. ‘You would die before your stroke fell.’"
  • Skilled enough with a bow to shoot from very far distances while being impaired by the terror emitted by one of the Nine -
    "[A] dark shape, like a cloud and yet not a cloud, for it moved far more swiftly, came out of the blackness in the South, and sped towards the Company, blotting out all light as it approached. Soon it appeared as a great winged creature, blacker than the pits in the night....

Suddenly the great bow of Lórien sang. Shrill went the arrow from the elven-string. Frodo looked up. Almost above him the winged shape swerved. There was a harsh croaking scream, as it fell out of the air, vanishing down into the gloom of the eastern shore. The sky was clean again. There was a tumult of many voices far away, cursing and wailing in the darkness, and then silence. Neither shaft nor cry came again from the east that night."
  • Only killed one less enemy than Gimli during their competition -
    "‘Forty-two, Master Legolas!’ he cried. ‘Alas! My axe is notched: the forty-second had an iron collar on his neck. How is it with you?’ ‘You have passed my score by one,’ answered Legolas. ‘But I do not grudge you the game, so glad am I to see you on your legs!’"
Immortality (Type 1, 4, and 8, possibly 5): Elves in LotR are utterly beyond death for as long as the "World" exists. While their bodies can die Elven souls persist in living unlike human ones who move on past the World upon bodily death. Note, most Elves can't seem to reincarnate/reembody without Ainuric intervention.
  • The doom of the Elves is to be immortal, to love the beauty of the world, to bring it to full flower with their gifts of delicacy and perfection, to last while it lasts, never leaving it even when 'slain', but returning – and yet, when the Followers come, to teach them, and make way for them, to 'fade' as the Followers grow and absorb the life from which both proceed.
  • "...elvish 'immortality' (which is not eternal, but measured by the duration in time of Earth)"
  • "They are therefore 'immortal'. Not 'eternally', but to endure with and within the created world, while its story lasts. When 'killed', by the injury or destruction of their incarnate form, they do not escape from time, but remain in the world, either discarnate, or being re-born."
  • "The Elves were sufficiently longeval to be called by Man 'immortal'. But they were not unageing or unwearying. Their own tradition was that they were confined to the limits of this world (in space and time), even if they died, and would continue in some form to exist in it until 'the end of the world'. But what 'the end of the world' portended for it or for themselves they did not know (though they no doubt had theories)."
  • "The 'Elves' are 'immortal', at least as far as this world goes: and hence are concerned rather with the griefs and burdens of deathlessness in time and change, than with death."
Enhanced Senses: He's an Elf. Elves in general have sight rivalling the "instruments" we use to see into space. Legolas in particular can see things from beyond even Aragorn's enhanced sight. Their hearing is also beyond human hearing.
  • Regarding sight
    • "For it is to the life of Arda (not Eä) which they are bound, and all their love is for Arda. Though [?of Lore] they may consider [?the matter] and having amazing sight they can see in the heavens things we cannot [?for need of] instruments."
    • "The Quendian imagination of the shape of Arda and of the visible Heaven (Menel) above it, was due to the acute minds of a people endowed with sight far keener than the human norm."
  • Regarding Legolas' sight
    • "‘Look!’ cried Legolas, pointing up into the pale sky above them.
      ‘There is the eagle again! He is very high. He seems to be flying now away, from this land back to the North. He is going with great speed.
      Look!’ ‘No, not even my eyes can see him, my good Legolas,’ said Aragorn."
    • He was capable of describing Edoras in great detail while situated far from the city to the point it was not visible to the others
      "Before them stood the mountains of the South: white-tipped and streaked with black. The grass-lands rolled against the hills that clustered at their feet, and flowed up into many valleys still dim and dark, untouched by the light of dawn, winding their way into the heart of the great mountains. Immediately before the travellers the widest of these glens opened like a long gulf among the hills. Far inward they glimpsed a tumbled mountain-mass with one tall peak; at the mouth of the vale there stood like a sentinel a lonely height. About its feet there flowed, as a thread of silver, the stream that issued from the dale; upon its brow they caught, still far away, a glint in the rising sun, a glimmer of gold. ‘Speak, Legolas!’ said Gandalf. ‘Tell us what you see there before us!’ Legolas gazed ahead, shading his eyes from the level shafts of the new-risen sun. ‘I see a white stream that comes down from the snows,’ he said. ‘Where it issues from the shadow of the vale a green hill rises upon the east. A dike and mighty wall and thorny fence encircle it. Within there rise the roofs of houses; and in the midst, set upon a green terrace, there stands aloft a great hall of Men. And it seems to my eyes that it is thatched with gold. The light of it shines far over the land. Golden, too, are the posts of its doors. There men in bright mail stand; but all else within the courts are yet asleep.’"
  • Regarding hearing
    • For as Elvish sight and hearing were limited in range as ours are, and yet were keener and of greater range, so were their memories of things seen and heard.
    • Although Legolas seems to have somewhat inferior hearing to Aragorn -
    • "Before long there came the sound of hoofs, at first hardly more than a tremor of the ground perceptible only to Aragorn as he lay upon the grass, then growing steadily louder and clearer to a quick beat."
Extrasensory Perception: Only Legolas and Elrond's sons could perceive the dead
  • The Company now mounted again, and Gimli returned to Legolas. They rode in file, and evening came on and a deep blue dusk; and still fear pursued them. ‘The Dead are following,’ said Legolas. ‘I see shapes of Men and of horses, and pale banners like shreds of cloud, and spears like winter-thickets on a misty night. The Dead are following.’ ‘Yes, the Dead ride behind. They have been summoned,’ said Elladan.
Magic: By virtue of his existence as an elf, Legolas is "magical" and potentially capable of "magic". This is more of an indexing ability than a relevant one for battles, although as Prince it is likely he could do some Elven magic, it is not ever demonstrated.
  • Letter 155: Their magia the Elves and Gandalf use (sparingly): a magia, producing real results (like fire in a wet ******) for specific beneficent purposes... Anyway, a difference in the use of 'magic' in this story is that it is not to be come by by 'lore' or spells; but is in an inherent power not possessed or attainable by Men as such
  • "The feasting people were Wood-elves, of course. These are not wicked folk. If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong, even in those days they were wary."
    • Said Wood Elves, Legolas' people, had enchanted Thorin's party into sleep with elf-fires-
      " Thorin had been caught much faster than they had. You remember Bilbo falling like a log into sleep, as he stepped into a circle of light? The next time it had been Thorin who stepped forward, and as the lights went out he fell like a stone enchanted... Consequently Thorin was angry at their treatment of him, when they took their spell off him and he came to his senses; and also he was determined that no word of gold or jewels should be dragged out of him"
Resistance to Illusion Creation: Usage of goetic magic that would be considered illusory to humans would be considered mere "artistic" works by Elves and Ainur, with the difference being as clear as fiction and life to their senses.
  • "Their goetic effects are entirely artistic and not intended to deceive: they never deceive Elves (but may deceive or bewilder unaware Men) since the difference is to them as clear as the difference to us between fiction, painting, and sculpture, and 'life'."
  • Elven arts can be mistaken for "real" things by humans even without Elves intending to trick them -
    "In any case indemmar were by Men mostly received in sleep (dream). If received when bodily awake they were usually vague and phantom-like (and often caused fear); but if they were clear and vivid, as the indemmar induced by Elves might be, they were apt to mislead Men into taking them as “real” things beheld by normal sight. Though this deceit was never [fn3] it was often by them [i.e., Men] intentional on the part of the Elves, believed to be."
Resistance to Fear Manipulation: Was unconcerned with the presence of the Army of the Dead when the Corsairs felt such fear that many of them accidentally killed themselves in panic.
  • "Legolas said: ‘I will tell you enough for your peace; for I felt not the horror, and I feared not the shadows of Men, powerless and frail as I deemed them.’"
  • The Army of the Dead quote from earlier
    • "But the Haradrim, being now driven to the brink, turned at bay, and they were fierce in despair; and they laughed when they looked on us, for they were a great army still. ‘But Aragorn halted and cried with a great voice: ‘‘Now come! By the Black Stone I call you!’’ And suddenly the Shadow Host that had hung back at the last came up like a grey tide, sweeping all away before it. Faint cries I heard, and dim horns blowing, and a murmur as of countless far voices: it was like the echo of some forgotten battle in the Dark Years long ago. Pale swords were drawn; but I know not whether their blades would still bite, for the Dead needed no longer any weapon but fear. None would withstand them. ‘To every ship they came that was drawn up, and then they passed over the water to those that were anchored; and all the mariners were f illed with a madness of terror and leaped overboard, save the slaves chained to the oars. Reckless we rode among our fleeing foes, driving them like leaves, until we came to the shore. And then to each of the great ships that remained Aragorn sent one of the Du´nedain, and they comforted the captives that were aboard, and bade them put aside fear and be free. ‘Ere that dark day ended none of the enemy were left to resist us; all were drowned, or were flying south in the hope to find their own lands upon foot. Strange and wonderful I thought it that the designs of Mordor should be overthrown by such wraiths of fear and darkness. With its own weapons was it worsted!’"
Resistance to Death Manipulation: For as long as the world exists, Elves cannot experience "death" in the Legendarium in a meaningful way. As detailed in the immortality section, Legolas can have his body die but his soul won't move on but remain.

Gimli
Weapons Mastery: He's a member of the Line of Durin, a skilled warrior, yada yada.
  • Successfully kills one more Uruk than Legolas despite the elf having the advantage of a bow for the first half of the battle -
    "Gimli ´ the dwarf. He had no helm, and about his head was a linen band stained with blood; but his voice was loud and strong. ‘Forty-two, Master Legolas!’ he cried. ‘Alas! My axe is notched: the forty-second had an iron collar on his neck. How is it with you?’ ‘You have passed my score by one,’ answered Legolas. ‘But I do not grudge you the game, so glad am I to see you on your legs!’"
  • Willingly jumps down upon a group of uruks and is capable of fighting them while conversing with Legolas -
  • "Orcs had crept like rats through the culvert through which the stream flowed out. There they had gathered in the shadow of the cliffs, until the assault above was hottest and nearly all the men of the defence had rushed to the wall’s top. Then they sprang out. Already some had passed into the jaws of the Deep and were among the horses, fighting with the guards. Down from the wall leapt Gimli with a fierce cry that echoed in the cliffs. ‘Khaza ˆd! Khaza ˆd!’ He soon had work enough. ‘Ai-oi!’ he shouted. ‘The Orcs are behind the wall. Ai-oi! Come, Legolas! There are enough for us both. Khazaˆd ai-me ˆnu!’"
  • Aragorn claims that he has never seen anyone use an axe as well as Gimli. Also has confidence Gimli can survive being overrun by Isengard's army -
    "‘I do not know,’ said Aragorn. ‘I last saw him fighting on the ground behind the wall, but the enemy swept us apart.’ ‘Alas! That is evil news,’ said Legolas. ‘He is stout and strong,’ said Aragorn. ‘Let us hope that he will escape back to the caves. There he would be safe for a while. Safer than we. Such a refuge would be to the liking of a dwarf.’ ‘That must be my hope,’ said Legolas. ‘But I wish that he had come this way. I desired to tell Master Gimli that my tale is now thirty-nine.’ ‘If he wins back to the caves, he will pass your count again,’ laughed Aragorn. ‘Never did I see an axe so wielded.’"

Magic: By virtue of his existence as an Dwarf, Gimli is "magical" and potentially capable of "magic". This is more of an indexing ability than a relevant one for battles.
  • Letter 155: Their magia the Elves and Gandalf use (sparingly): a magia, producing real results (like fire in a wet ******) for specific beneficent purposes... Anyway, a difference in the use of 'magic' in this story is that it is not to be come by by 'lore' or spells; but is in an inherent power not possessed or attainable by Men as such
  • "The dwarves of yore made mighty spells, While hammers fell like ringing bells In places deep, where dark things sleep, In hollow halls beneath the fells."
  • "They beat on it, they thrust and pushed at it, they implored it to move, they spoke fragments of broken spells of opening, and nothing stirred."

Resistance to Corruption: The Dwarves were made after Morgoth had already corrupted much of Arda with his being, as such Aulë deliberately made them to be resistant to corruption
  • "And Aulë made the Dwarves even as they still are, because the forms of the Children who were to come were unclear to his mind, and because the power of Melkor was yet over the Earth; and he wished therefore that they should be strong and unyielding."
  • Even the Rings of Power have a limited effect on them, with it only inflaming their negative traits of greed
    • "None the less it may well be, as the Dwarves now believe, that Sauron by his arts had discovered who had this Ring, the last to remain free, and that the singular misfortunes of the heirs of Durin were largely due to his malice. For the Dwarves had proved untameable by this means. The only power over them that the Rings wielded was to inflame their hearts with a greed of gold and precious things, so that if they lacked them all other good things seemed profitless, and they were filled with wrath and desire for vengeance on all who deprived them."
    • "The Dwarves indeed proved tough and hard to tame; they ill endure the domination of others, and the thoughts of their hearts are hard to fathom, nor can they be turned to shadows. They used their rings only for the getting of wealth; but wrath and an overmastering greed of gold were kindled in their hearts, of which evil enough after came to the profit of Sauron."

Faramir
Weapons Mastery: Described as a greater warrior than anyone in Rohan, even Eomer, and is a renowned Captain of Gondor, albeit martially inferior to his brother.
  • "Faramir. ‘I also am a prisoner of the healers.’ He looked at her, and being a man whom pity deeply stirred, it seemed to him that her loveliness amid her grief would pierce his heart. And she looked at him and saw the grave tenderness in his eyes, and yet knew, for she was bred among men of war, that here was one whom no Rider of the Mark would outmatch in battle."
Blessed: Much like his father Denethor, Faramir's blessings nearly run true, albeit not as much as Aragorn.
  • Yet suddenly for Faramir his heart was strangely moved with a feeling that he had not known before. Here was one with an air of high nobility such as Aragorn at times revealed, less high perhaps, yet also less incalculable and remote: one of the Kings of Men born into a later time, but touched with the wisdom and sadness of the Elder Race.
  • He should thus have:
    • Empathic Manipulation:
      • Although Faramir's is far less notable and useful in combat. Mostly just gives off an air of Faramir being of high descent.
      • "‘Ah well, sir,’ said Sam, ‘you said my master had an Elvish air; and that was good and true. But I can say this: you have an air too, sir, that reminds me of, of – well, Gandalf, of wizards.’
        ‘Maybe,’ said Faramir. ‘Maybe you discern from far away the air of Nu´ menor. Good night!’"
      • Yet suddenly for Faramir his heart was strangely moved with a feeling that he had not known before. Here was one with an air of high nobility such as Aragorn at times revealed, less high perhaps, yet also less incalculable and remote: one of the Kings of Men born into a later time, but touched with the wisdom and sadness of the Elder Race.
    • Enhanced Senses:
    • Regeneration (Low):
    • Telepathy
      • ‘He is not as other men of this time, Pippin, and whatever be his descent from father to son, by some chance the blood of Westernesse runs nearly true in him; as it does in his other son, Faramir, and yet did not in Boromir whom he loved best.
Social Influencing: He was capable of inspiring great love from his men, to the point that Beregond even fought Denethor to save his Captain. He is even able to keep his men and beasts together while the armies of Mordor are just behind them, albeit they scatter once things fall apart
  • He knew now why Beregond spoke his name with love. He was a captain that men would follow, that he would follow, even under the shadow of the black wings.
  • "It drew now to evening by the hour, and the light was so dim that even far-sighted men upon the Citadel could discern little clearly out upon the fields, save only the burnings that ever multiplied, and the lines of fire that grew in length and speed. At last, less than a mile from the City, a more ordered mass of men came into view, marching not running, still holding together. The watchers held their breath. ‘Faramir must be there,’ they said.
    ‘He can govern man and beast. He will make it yet.’"
    • He almost exceeds Gandalf's expectations in doing so -
    • "‘Is Faramir come?’ he asked. ‘No,’ said Gandalf. ‘But he still lived when I left him. Yet he is resolved to stay with the rearguard, lest the retreat over the Pelennor become a rout. He may, perhaps, hold his men together long enough, but I doubt it. He is pitted against a foe too great. For one has come that I feared.’"
  • The Soldiers of Gondor loved their Captain greatly, with most turning to sorrow upon seeing his dying body -
  • "The mounted knights returned, and at their rear the banner of Dol Amroth, and the Prince. And in his arms before him on his horse he bore the body of his kinsman, Faramir son of Denethor, found upon the stricken field. ‘Faramir! Faramir!’ men cried, weeping in the streets. But he did not answer, and they bore him away up the winding road to the Citadel and his father."
  • Beregond even turns traitor to try and save him -
    "‘Burn him alive?’ said Gandalf. ‘What is this tale? Be quick!’ ‘Denethor has gone to the Tombs,’ said Pippin, ‘and he has taken Faramir, and he says we are all to burn, and he will not wait, and they are to make a pyre and burn him on it, and Faramir as well.
    And he has sent men to fetch wood and oil. And I have told Beregond, but I’m afraid he won’t dare to leave his post: he is on guard... At last they came to Rath D´nen and hastened towards the House of the Stewards, loom ing in the twilight under its great dome.
    ‘Stay! Stay!’ cried Gandalf, springing forward to the stone stair before the door. ‘Stay this madness!’ For there were the servants of Denethor with swords and torches in their hands; but alone in the porch upon the topmost step stood Beregond, clad in the black and silver of the Guard; and he held the door against them. Two of them had already fallen to his sword, staining the hallows with their blood; and the others cursed him, calling him outlaw and traitor to his master."

Last edited:

Individual Abilities: Part 1: Continued

Not too much exciting here, just generic additions, some of which might get removed later in a future racial abilities revision.

This is for tier 9 characters. The Nine are being saved for an "evil" revision while the Hobbits are kind of a topic in their own right. Shouldn't be much there but Frodo gets stuff from the One Ring (he can kinda actually use it at the end) and their stats might need changing.

Boromir:
Weapons Mastery: Somewhat comparable to Aragorn as the fellow "strongest warrior" of the Fellowship (as observed by Legolas and Frodo).
  • Of the Fellowship, Boromir is compared to Aragorn in terms of his ability to slay orcs
    • "Legolas shot two through the throat. Gimli hewed the legs from under another that had sprung up on Balin’s tomb. Boromir and Aragorn slew many
  • Singlehandedly slays enough orcs and uruks that it forms a pile around him, although he is mortally wounded in the process. It is later revealed that he was facing over a hundred orcs
    • "A mile, maybe, from Parth Galen in a little glade not far from the lake he found Boromir. He was sitting with his back to a great tree, as if he was resting. But Aragorn saw that he was pierced with many black-feathered arrows; his sword was still in his hand, but it was broken near the hilt; his horn cloven in two was at his side. Many Orcs lay slain, piled all about him and at his feet."
    • Then Boromir had come leaping through the trees. He had made them fight. He slew many of them and the rest fled. But they had not gone far on the way back when they were attacked again, by a hundred Orcs at least, some of them very large, and they shot a rain of arrows: always at Boromir.
  • Implied by Faramir to be the best warrior in Gondor, a kingdom that had grown to value skill in battle over other skills due to the demand of war
    • "...we still hold that a warrior should have more skills and knowledge than only the craft of weapons and slaying, we esteem a warrior, nonetheless, above men of other crafts. Such is the need of our days. So even was my brother, Boromir: a man of prowess, and for that he was accounted the best man in Gondor."

Limited Sound Manipulation: By blowing the Horn of Gondor, Boromir can unleash a sound that stuns and dismays enemies. Even the Balrog briefly stopped upon being confronted with it
  • "The dark figure streaming with fire raced towards them. The orcs yelled and poured over the stone gangways. Then Boromir raised his horn and blew. Loud the challenge rang and bellowed, like the shout of many throats under the cavernous roof. For a moment the orcs quailed and the fiery shadow halted. Then the echoes died as suddenly as a flame blown out by a dark wind, and the enemy advanced again."
  • Boromir had blown his great horn till the woods rang, and at first the Orcs had been dismayed and had drawn back; but when no answer but the echoes came, they had attacked more fiercely than ever.
Blessed: Although blessed to a lesser extent than Aragorn or even his brother and father, Boromir is noted to be of high Númenórean lineage. However, as the actual blessing is notably weakened, the four abilities it gives should either not be used or rated as a "possibly"
  • The Númenóreans before the Downfall were a people of great stature and strength, the Kings of Men; their full-grown men were commonly 7 ft. tall... Aragorn, his direct descendant, in spite of the many intervening generations, must still have been a very tall and strong man with a great stride; he was probably at least 6 ft. 6. Boromir, of high Númenórean lineage, would not be much shorter: say 6 ft. 4.
  • Of the blessings, Emapthic Manipulation should be missing as it is not really commented on, unlike with Aragorn or Faramir to a lesser extent. Telepathy should also be missing for a reason quoted below. The other three are as follows and are given details in the Aragorn proposal above.
    • Enhanced Senses:
    • Regeneration (Low):
    • These should only be rated as "possibly" as the blessings are not said to run "nearly true" in him as his brother. Telepathy is a notable missing feature he lacks
      • ‘He is not as other men of this time, Pippin, and whatever be his descent from father to son, by some chance the blood of Westernesse runs nearly true in him; as it does in his other son, Faramir, and yet did not in Boromir whom he loved best.
Legolas
Interesting stuff like Elves being ambidextrous and able to walk atop snow without issue aside, there may be more stuff for Legolas that will emerge for a future race abilities page but that's for the future

Weapons Mastery: Prince of the Woodland Realms and the best archer in the Fellowship... a title which isn't that impressive but he's very good. He claims to be capable shooting Eomer before he can strike down Gimli. Eomer being described as one of the only 3 warriors skilled and lucky enough atthe Pelennor Fields not to be injured.
  • " Master Dwarf, if it stood but a little higher from the ground,’ said Eomer.
    ‘He stands not alone,’ said Legolas, bending his bow and fitting an arrow with hands that moved quicker than sight. ‘You would die before your stroke fell.’"
  • Skilled enough with a bow to shoot from very far distances while being impaired by the terror emitted by one of the Nine -
    "[A] dark shape, like a cloud and yet not a cloud, for it moved far more swiftly, came out of the blackness in the South, and sped towards the Company, blotting out all light as it approached. Soon it appeared as a great winged creature, blacker than the pits in the night....

Suddenly the great bow of Lórien sang. Shrill went the arrow from the elven-string. Frodo looked up. Almost above him the winged shape swerved. There was a harsh croaking scream, as it fell out of the air, vanishing down into the gloom of the eastern shore. The sky was clean again. There was a tumult of many voices far away, cursing and wailing in the darkness, and then silence. Neither shaft nor cry came again from the east that night."
  • Only killed one less enemy than Gimli during their competition -
    "‘Forty-two, Master Legolas!’ he cried. ‘Alas! My axe is notched: the forty-second had an iron collar on his neck. How is it with you?’ ‘You have passed my score by one,’ answered Legolas. ‘But I do not grudge you the game, so glad am I to see you on your legs!’"
Immortality (Type 1, 4, and 8, possibly 5): Elves in LotR are utterly beyond death for as long as the "World" exists. While their bodies can die Elven souls persist in living unlike human ones who move on past the World upon bodily death. Note, most Elves can't seem to reincarnate/reembody without Ainuric intervention.
  • The doom of the Elves is to be immortal, to love the beauty of the world, to bring it to full flower with their gifts of delicacy and perfection, to last while it lasts, never leaving it even when 'slain', but returning – and yet, when the Followers come, to teach them, and make way for them, to 'fade' as the Followers grow and absorb the life from which both proceed.
  • "...elvish 'immortality' (which is not eternal, but measured by the duration in time of Earth)"
  • "They are therefore 'immortal'. Not 'eternally', but to endure with and within the created world, while its story lasts. When 'killed', by the injury or destruction of their incarnate form, they do not escape from time, but remain in the world, either discarnate, or being re-born."
  • "The Elves were sufficiently longeval to be called by Man 'immortal'. But they were not unageing or unwearying. Their own tradition was that they were confined to the limits of this world (in space and time), even if they died, and would continue in some form to exist in it until 'the end of the world'. But what 'the end of the world' portended for it or for themselves they did not know (though they no doubt had theories)."
  • "The 'Elves' are 'immortal', at least as far as this world goes: and hence are concerned rather with the griefs and burdens of deathlessness in time and change, than with death."
Enhanced Senses: He's an Elf. Elves in general have sight rivalling the "instruments" we use to see into space. Legolas in particular can see things from beyond even Aragorn's enhanced sight. Their hearing is also beyond human hearing.
  • Regarding sight
    • "For it is to the life of Arda (not Eä) which they are bound, and all their love is for Arda. Though [?of Lore] they may consider [?the matter] and having amazing sight they can see in the heavens things we cannot [?for need of] instruments."
    • "The Quendian imagination of the shape of Arda and of the visible Heaven (Menel) above it, was due to the acute minds of a people endowed with sight far keener than the human norm."
  • Regarding Legolas' sight
    • "‘Look!’ cried Legolas, pointing up into the pale sky above them.
      ‘There is the eagle again! He is very high. He seems to be flying now away, from this land back to the North. He is going with great speed.
      Look!’ ‘No, not even my eyes can see him, my good Legolas,’ said Aragorn."
    • He was capable of describing Edoras in great detail while situated far from the city to the point it was not visible to the others
      "Before them stood the mountains of the South: white-tipped and streaked with black. The grass-lands rolled against the hills that clustered at their feet, and flowed up into many valleys still dim and dark, untouched by the light of dawn, winding their way into the heart of the great mountains. Immediately before the travellers the widest of these glens opened like a long gulf among the hills. Far inward they glimpsed a tumbled mountain-mass with one tall peak; at the mouth of the vale there stood like a sentinel a lonely height. About its feet there flowed, as a thread of silver, the stream that issued from the dale; upon its brow they caught, still far away, a glint in the rising sun, a glimmer of gold. ‘Speak, Legolas!’ said Gandalf. ‘Tell us what you see there before us!’ Legolas gazed ahead, shading his eyes from the level shafts of the new-risen sun. ‘I see a white stream that comes down from the snows,’ he said. ‘Where it issues from the shadow of the vale a green hill rises upon the east. A dike and mighty wall and thorny fence encircle it. Within there rise the roofs of houses; and in the midst, set upon a green terrace, there stands aloft a great hall of Men. And it seems to my eyes that it is thatched with gold. The light of it shines far over the land. Golden, too, are the posts of its doors. There men in bright mail stand; but all else within the courts are yet asleep.’"
  • Regarding hearing
    • For as Elvish sight and hearing were limited in range as ours are, and yet were keener and of greater range, so were their memories of things seen and heard.
    • Although Legolas seems to have somewhat inferior hearing to Aragorn -
    • "Before long there came the sound of hoofs, at first hardly more than a tremor of the ground perceptible only to Aragorn as he lay upon the grass, then growing steadily louder and clearer to a quick beat."
Extrasensory Perception: Only Legolas and Elrond's sons could perceive the dead
  • The Company now mounted again, and Gimli returned to Legolas. They rode in file, and evening came on and a deep blue dusk; and still fear pursued them. ‘The Dead are following,’ said Legolas. ‘I see shapes of Men and of horses, and pale banners like shreds of cloud, and spears like winter-thickets on a misty night. The Dead are following.’ ‘Yes, the Dead ride behind. They have been summoned,’ said Elladan.
Magic: By virtue of his existence as an elf, Legolas is "magical" and potentially capable of "magic". This is more of an indexing ability than a relevant one for battles, although as Prince it is likely he could do some Elven magic, it is not ever demonstrated.
  • "The feasting people were Wood-elves, of course. These are not wicked folk. If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong, even in those days they were wary."
    • Said Wood Elves, Legolas' people, had enchanted Thorin's party into sleep with elf-fires-
      " Thorin had been caught much faster than they had. You remember Bilbo falling like a log into sleep, as he stepped into a circle of light? The next time it had been Thorin who stepped forward, and as the lights went out he fell like a stone enchanted... Consequently Thorin was angry at their treatment of him, when they took their spell off him and he came to his senses; and also he was determined that no word of gold or jewels should be dragged out of him"
Resistance to Illusion Creation: Usage of goetic magic that would be considered illusory to humans would be considered mere "artistic" works by Elves and Ainur, with the difference being as clear as fiction and life to their senses.
  • "Their goetic effects are entirely artistic and not intended to deceive: they never deceive Elves (but may deceive or bewilder unaware Men) since the difference is to them as clear as the difference to us between fiction, painting, and sculpture, and 'life'."
  • Elven arts can be mistaken for "real" things by humans even without Elves intending to trick them -
    "In any case indemmar were by Men mostly received in sleep (dream). If received when bodily awake they were usually vague and phantom-like (and often caused fear); but if they were clear and vivid, as the indemmar induced by Elves might be, they were apt to mislead Men into taking them as “real” things beheld by normal sight. Though this deceit was never [fn3] it was often by them [i.e., Men] intentional on the part of the Elves, believed to be."
Resistance to Fear Manipulation: Was unconcerned with the presence of the Army of the Dead when the Corsairs felt such fear that many of them accidentally killed themselves in panic.
  • "Legolas said: ‘I will tell you enough for your peace; for I felt not the horror, and I feared not the shadows of Men, powerless and frail as I deemed them.’"
  • The Army of the Dead quote from earlier
    • "But the Haradrim, being now driven to the brink, turned at bay, and they were fierce in despair; and they laughed when they looked on us, for they were a great army still. ‘But Aragorn halted and cried with a great voice: ‘‘Now come! By the Black Stone I call you!’’ And suddenly the Shadow Host that had hung back at the last came up like a grey tide, sweeping all away before it. Faint cries I heard, and dim horns blowing, and a murmur as of countless far voices: it was like the echo of some forgotten battle in the Dark Years long ago. Pale swords were drawn; but I know not whether their blades would still bite, for the Dead needed no longer any weapon but fear. None would withstand them. ‘To every ship they came that was drawn up, and then they passed over the water to those that were anchored; and all the mariners were f illed with a madness of terror and leaped overboard, save the slaves chained to the oars. Reckless we rode among our fleeing foes, driving them like leaves, until we came to the shore. And then to each of the great ships that remained Aragorn sent one of the Du´nedain, and they comforted the captives that were aboard, and bade them put aside fear and be free. ‘Ere that dark day ended none of the enemy were left to resist us; all were drowned, or were flying south in the hope to find their own lands upon foot. Strange and wonderful I thought it that the designs of Mordor should be overthrown by such wraiths of fear and darkness. With its own weapons was it worsted!’"
Resistance to Death Manipulation: For as long as the world exists, Elves cannot experience "death" in the Legendarium in a meaningful way. As detailed in the immortality section, Legolas can have his body die but his soul won't move on but remain.

Gimli
Weapons Mastery: He's a member of the Line of Durin, a skilled warrior, yada yada.
  • Successfully kills one more Uruk than Legolas despite the elf having the advantage of a bow for the first half of the battle -
    "Gimli ´ the dwarf. He had no helm, and about his head was a linen band stained with blood; but his voice was loud and strong. ‘Forty-two, Master Legolas!’ he cried. ‘Alas! My axe is notched: the forty-second had an iron collar on his neck. How is it with you?’ ‘You have passed my score by one,’ answered Legolas. ‘But I do not grudge you the game, so glad am I to see you on your legs!’"
  • Willingly jumps down upon a group of uruks and is capable of fighting them while conversing with Legolas -
  • "Orcs had crept like rats through the culvert through which the stream flowed out. There they had gathered in the shadow of the cliffs, until the assault above was hottest and nearly all the men of the defence had rushed to the wall’s top. Then they sprang out. Already some had passed into the jaws of the Deep and were among the horses, fighting with the guards. Down from the wall leapt Gimli with a fierce cry that echoed in the cliffs. ‘Khaza ˆd! Khaza ˆd!’ He soon had work enough. ‘Ai-oi!’ he shouted. ‘The Orcs are behind the wall. Ai-oi! Come, Legolas! There are enough for us both. Khazaˆd ai-me ˆnu!’"
  • Aragorn claims that he has never seen anyone use an axe as well as Gimli. Also has confidence Gimli can survive being overrun by Isengard's army -
    "‘I do not know,’ said Aragorn. ‘I last saw him fighting on the ground behind the wall, but the enemy swept us apart.’ ‘Alas! That is evil news,’ said Legolas. ‘He is stout and strong,’ said Aragorn. ‘Let us hope that he will escape back to the caves. There he would be safe for a while. Safer than we. Such a refuge would be to the liking of a dwarf.’ ‘That must be my hope,’ said Legolas. ‘But I wish that he had come this way. I desired to tell Master Gimli that my tale is now thirty-nine.’ ‘If he wins back to the caves, he will pass your count again,’ laughed Aragorn. ‘Never did I see an axe so wielded.’"

Magic: By virtue of his existence as an Dwarf, Gimli is "magical" and potentially capable of "magic". This is more of an indexing ability than a relevant one for battles.
  • "The dwarves of yore made mighty spells, While hammers fell like ringing bells In places deep, where dark things sleep, In hollow halls beneath the fells."
  • "They beat on it, they thrust and pushed at it, they implored it to move, they spoke fragments of broken spells of opening, and nothing stirred."

Resistance to Corruption: The Dwarves were made after Morgoth had already corrupted much of Arda with his being, as such Aulë deliberately made them to be resistant to corruption
  • "And Aulë made the Dwarves even as they still are, because the forms of the Children who were to come were unclear to his mind, and because the power of Melkor was yet over the Earth; and he wished therefore that they should be strong and unyielding."
  • Even the Rings of Power have a limited effect on them, with it only inflaming their negative traits of greed
    • "None the less it may well be, as the Dwarves now believe, that Sauron by his arts had discovered who had this Ring, the last to remain free, and that the singular misfortunes of the heirs of Durin were largely due to his malice. For the Dwarves had proved untameable by this means. The only power over them that the Rings wielded was to inflame their hearts with a greed of gold and precious things, so that if they lacked them all other good things seemed profitless, and they were filled with wrath and desire for vengeance on all who deprived them."
    • "The Dwarves indeed proved tough and hard to tame; they ill endure the domination of others, and the thoughts of their hearts are hard to fathom, nor can they be turned to shadows. They used their rings only for the getting of wealth; but wrath and an overmastering greed of gold were kindled in their hearts, of which evil enough after came to the profit of Sauron."

Faramir
Weapons Mastery: Described as a greater warrior than anyone in Rohan, even Eomer, and is a renowned Captain of Gondor, albeit martially inferior to his brother.
  • "Faramir. ‘I also am a prisoner of the healers.’ He looked at her, and being a man whom pity deeply stirred, it seemed to him that her loveliness amid her grief would pierce his heart. And she looked at him and saw the grave tenderness in his eyes, and yet knew, for she was bred among men of war, that here was one whom no Rider of the Mark would outmatch in battle."
Blessed: Much like his father Denethor, Faramir's blessings nearly run true, albeit not as much as Aragorn.
  • He should thus have:
    • Empathic Manipulation:
      • Although Faramir's is far less notable and useful in combat. Mostly just gives off an air of Faramir being of high descent.
      • "‘Ah well, sir,’ said Sam, ‘you said my master had an Elvish air; and that was good and true. But I can say this: you have an air too, sir, that reminds me of, of – well, Gandalf, of wizards.’
        ‘Maybe,’ said Faramir. ‘Maybe you discern from far away the air of Nu´ menor. Good night!’"
    • Enhanced Senses:
    • Regeneration (Low):
    • Telepathy
Social Influencing: He was capable of inspiring great love from his men, to the point that Beregond even fought Denethor to save his Captain. He is even able to keep his men and beasts together while the armies of Mordor are just behind them, albeit they scatter once things fall apart
  • He knew now why Beregond spoke his name with love. He was a captain that men would follow, that he would follow, even under the shadow of the black wings.
  • "It drew now to evening by the hour, and the light was so dim that even far-sighted men upon the Citadel could discern little clearly out upon the fields, save only the burnings that ever multiplied, and the lines of fire that grew in length and speed. At last, less than a mile from the City, a more ordered mass of men came into view, marching not running, still holding together. The watchers held their breath. ‘Faramir must be there,’ they said.
    ‘He can govern man and beast. He will make it yet.’"
    • He almost exceeds Gandalf's expectations in doing so -
    • "‘Is Faramir come?’ he asked. ‘No,’ said Gandalf. ‘But he still lived when I left him. Yet he is resolved to stay with the rearguard, lest the retreat over the Pelennor become a rout. He may, perhaps, hold his men together long enough, but I doubt it. He is pitted against a foe too great. For one has come that I feared.’"
  • The Soldiers of Gondor loved their Captain greatly, with most turning to sorrow upon seeing his dying body -
  • "The mounted knights returned, and at their rear the banner of Dol Amroth, and the Prince. And in his arms before him on his horse he bore the body of his kinsman, Faramir son of Denethor, found upon the stricken field. ‘Faramir! Faramir!’ men cried, weeping in the streets. But he did not answer, and they bore him away up the winding road to the Citadel and his father."
  • Beregond even turns traitor to try and save him -
    "‘Burn him alive?’ said Gandalf. ‘What is this tale? Be quick!’ ‘Denethor has gone to the Tombs,’ said Pippin, ‘and he has taken Faramir, and he says we are all to burn, and he will not wait, and they are to make a pyre and burn him on it, and Faramir as well.
    And he has sent men to fetch wood and oil. And I have told Beregond, but I’m afraid he won’t dare to leave his post: he is on guard... At last they came to Rath D´nen and hastened towards the House of the Stewards, loom ing in the twilight under its great dome.
    ‘Stay! Stay!’ cried Gandalf, springing forward to the stone stair before the door. ‘Stay this madness!’ For there were the servants of Denethor with swords and torches in their hands; but alone in the porch upon the topmost step stood Beregond, clad in the black and silver of the Guard; and he held the door against them. Two of them had already fallen to his sword, staining the hallows with their blood; and the others cursed him, calling him outlaw and traitor to his master."
Looks good to me.

Sound Manip seems better as a possibly, I think it's entirely possible and even likely that the horn gave them pause for fear of some new strategy or what have you being unleashed (the Balrog's bit in particular doesn't seem to support the ability, at least).

Legolas' Immortality should be noted to be limited given death still restricts the Elves roughly as much as it does for practically everyone else, even if they're still around in some capacity. Or, at least, this is as it seems from the given quotes.

Death Manip resistance should be similarly noted as limited: his body can still "die".

Only other thing I think to mention is that Magic should be a Possibly, if you're referring to the skill of spellcasting. Although their species may learn to do it, it seems very likely that these two (Legolas' and Gimli) didn't learn to do so, noting that LotR has pretty exhaustive lore about this sort of thing. So, I'd prefer "possibly".

Sound Manip seems better as a possibly, I think it's entirely possible and even likely that the horn gave them pause for fear of some new strategy or what have you being unleashed (the Balrog's bit in particular doesn't seem to support the ability, at least).
It's an attribute of the Horn, every usage of it stuns the opponent. It isn't an inherently magical effect though, it's just really loud. I put limited to denote the fact it's quite literally just a loud horn.

"Then Boromir raised his horn and blew. Loud the challenge rang and bellowed, like the shout of many throats under the cavernous roof. For a moment the orcs quailed and the fiery shadow halted. " - it's so loud it stuns people

It can also be heard in Minas Tirith from Amon Hen.

Legolas' Immortality should be noted to be limited given death still restricts the Elves roughly as much as it does for practically everyone else, even if they're still around in some capacity. Or, at least, this is as it seems from the given quotes.

Death Manip resistance should be similarly noted as limited: his body can still "die".
Sounds good!

Only other thing I think to mention is that Magic should be a Possibly, if you're referring to the skill of spellcasting. Although their species may learn to do it, it seems very likely that these two (Legolas' and Gimli) didn't learn to do so, noting that LotR has pretty exhaustive lore about this sort of thing. So, I'd prefer "possibly".
Oh, it's not for the usage of magic, it's denoting their existence as "magical". In LotR magic can't exactly be learned, you're either born with the capability or not. You are either born magical or not.

I guess I can accept the horn bit.

The magic thing is a bit weird, I can think of other verses where we've decidedly not done that, but it's a minor point so I'll cede since it's purely for indexing.

Back