• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

LOL Dark Star / Cosmic Court Downgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monarch_Laciel

VS Battles
Retired
This is a downgrade thread for all of the Dark Star / Cosmic Court keys of League of Legends Characters, including:

Thresh, Ashe, Jarvan IV, Kassadi, Lulu, Master Yi, Raka, Xayah, Xin Zhao, Jhi, Cho'Gath, Karma, Kha'Zix, Orianna Reveck, Kay, Shaco, Varus.

Current Justifications
The current justification for their Low 1-C status is as follows. This is Thresh's justification, but everyone at least has the first sentence as justification.

"Dark Stars are capable of destroying all of existence, which is consistently referred to as an infinite number of universes, timelines, and realities, as well as consuming the 5-Dimensional realm of The Void. Thresh has destroyed entire realities before, Stated he has the capacity to consume time, space and reality, Thresh does not even need to use his strongest attack to end the universe as even his Dark Matter Scythe alone is capable of destroying the universe"

So lets pick this apart.

"Even his Dark Matter scythe alone is capable of destroying the universe" is justified by a quote on the Dark Matter Scythe saying "if you want to create a singularity you must first destroy the universe". Hmmm. It's quite the stretch to say that quote means "his Dark Matter Scythe alone is capable of destroying the universe". I don't buy it. That quote is not nearly enough justification to back up the idea that his scythe alone can destroy the universe.

"Thresh does not even need to use his strongest attack to end the universe" - the link gets redirected to a basic LoL page, so I'm left with nothing. So there's no justification to be found here in the first place.

"Stated he has the capacity to consume time, space and reality" - comes from his respawn quote ""Time, space, reality - we shall consume all". Cool beans. Do we have a timeframe for this? No? Then I'll get to this in a bit.

"Thresh has destroyed realities before" - comes from his quote when fighting Baron. Again, no timeframe or method given. I'll explain how Dark Star's destruction of realities actually happens over time further down.

This justification for "destroying all of existence" comes from a line by Pulsefire Ezreal, which states "Nobody devours of existence on my watch, I live in there". That's not much to go on, but still possibly serviceable as a justification... until you actually take a look at the Even Horizon lore for these characters. I'll get to that

The Lore
Cosmic Queen Ashe: Benevolent ruler of the stars, Ashe fires her arrows across the endless darkness of space, creating new constellations wherever they fall. Her court drifts between galaxies, replenishing all the lights that have faded.

Cosmic Enchantress Lulu: Tasked with charting the heavens, Lulu's whimsical splashes of magic dot the sky with newborn stars. She keeps meticulous records of their names, mourning each of them when they finally pass.

Cosmic Beacon Lux: The right hand of Queen Ashe, Lux weaves celestial constellations, bringing order to a universe drifting towards entropy. When the Dark Star began corrupting members of the Cosmic Court, Lux stepped forward to confront Thresh. Yet she harbors a terrible secret—a shard of darkness that has always lived within her heart, whispering temptations…

Cosmic Defender Xin Zhao: Great horrors are attracted to the light of newborn stars—from the corruptants of the Dark Star, to squirming, ancient things yet unknown. Xin Zhao is the steadfast protector of these cosmic cradles, driving off any that would devour them.

Dark Cosmic Jhin: Jhin was an interstellar entity, consumed by the Dark Star and given new purpose. Now his ageless mind is infected by visions of omnipotence, and consumed by an insatiable hunger. He scours entire regions of space seemingly on a whim, using the remnants to create bizarre, silent objets d'art.

Dark Star Mordekaiser: Once a member of the Cosmic Court, Mordekaiser vanished from known space for an epoch—until now. Reborn and returned from an unknown destruction, Mordekaiser seems bent on unmaking the kingdoms of stars and light he once built. Though he still bears his Cosmic armor, the mind and figure within has been twisted and reforged to know only hatred and destruction.

Dark Star Cho'Gath: Spawned from the remnants of a star system crippled by famine, Cho'Gath is driven to feed on any celestial body that crosses his path. These feasts swirl into the twin black holes at his heart—as endless and ageless as his hunger.

Dark Star Karma: Karma was a galaxy-spanning civilizatio dedicated to pacifism and personal enlightenment, unceremoniously erased from reality and reborn as a star-consuming horror. Devouring entire galactic systems, she enforces a dread order upon the cosmos, meditating in the vast oceans of emptiness where once there were stars.

Dark Star Kha'Zix: The hunger of the abyss, Kha'Zix is an alien horror whose ceaseless appetite feeds the Dark Star. Appearing before planets like a titanic locust, it devours all it encounters—the power of a hundred thousand stars fueling its evolution into an ever-greater threat.

Dark Star Malphite: The remnants of a once lush and enormous exo-planet, the Dark Star consumed and reformed the broken cluster of planetary debris into a twisted consciousness, ever pulling others into its orbit, and unleashing oblivion upon all who cross its path.

Prestige Dark Star Malphite: Gilded by the Dark Star's touch and empowered through its radiance, Malphite barrels across space, demolishing entire systems and consuming the broken remnants into his immense and twisted form.

Dark Star Shaco: Shaco was once a region of space known for raucous celebration, wiped clean by the Dark Star and reborn into the mocking visage of a jester. His twisted cackling reaches inhabited systems long before he does, provoking visions of destruction, and societal breakdowns that will soon feed his endless hunger.

Dark Star Varus: An interstellar titan containing multitudes within his eldritch mind, Varus serves the all-consuming Dark Star, a dread singularity born in the darkness of deep space. His arrival is a cataclysmic extinction event, erasing entire planetary systems as if they were never there.

Dark Star Xerath: As the Dark Star continued on its path across space, it passed through a vibrant system orbiting a supergiant star. Consuming all life and light as it passed , the Dark Star twisted the supergiant into a wrathful corruptant. Thus, Xerath was born—a dark being of malice and annihilation.

Dark Star Orianna: Born out of the remnants of a magnificently advanced system, Orianna serves the Dark Star with meticulous precision. She dances across galaxies in an endlessly horrifying performance, the only witness is the silent trail of destruction left in her wake.

Dark Star Thresh: A cosmic nightmare who worships the all-consuming Dark Star, Thresh vows to feed the whole of existence to his "god" until all matter, time, and thought are erased. His work will be complete when nothing remains, freeing him to finally leap into the singularity and become one with the end of the universe.

As has been made increasingly clear, the characters of Event Horizon are consistently depicted as having power across Tier 4 (various Dark Star characters are the remnants of planetary systems, Lulu makes stars, Ashe and Lux/Corrupted Lux both create constellations, Kha'Zix is fueled by a hundred thousand stars, etc) and possibly up to Tier 3 in one case (Karma being created from a galactic civilisation). Thresh initially appears as an outlier here, "Feeding all of existence to his god".

Also, here are some quotes from the champions to back this up even more.

"Stars culled of life, silent in the darkness"

"The cry of a dying star - nothing's sweeter"

"We shall suck the marrow from their stars"

Have you ever seen a thousand stars alight in a shared dawn? We have - just before we snuffed them out.

Every luminous star laid bear. Torn open, devoured

Join your precious stars in oblivion.

Suns, moons? We have devoured both."

The stars die as we approach.

Watch the stars blink out, one by one.

You get the gist. Quotes

Counter Arguments
But Monarch, you say. What about all the quotes like Thresh's "I am the herald of reality's end", and "I've destroyed realities" and "Even the universe will grind to a halt", and "become one with the end of the universe" and Ezreal's "No one devours all of existence on my watch" and Rhaast's "It turns out the scythe was evil and wants to annihilate all reality" It would be remiss of me to not address these quotes. After all, it appears fairly obvious that the Dark Stars can indeed destroy the universe. However, there's something important to note. None of these feats are given a timeframe. Huh. So in other words... this could be happening over time. Let's see what we can find. Have a look at these quotes from the Dark Star lore:

"As the Dark Star continued on its path across space" (note that the use of singular and "the Dark Star" rather than "a Dark Star" implies this refers to the true "Dark Star", Thresh's god, rather than any individual member of the Dark Star Champions)

"Malphite barrels across space...unleashing oblivion upon all who cross its path"

"His
(Shaco's) twisted cackling reaches inhabited systems long before he does"

"Cho'Gath is driven to feed on any celestial body that crosses his path"

Appearing before planets like a titanic locust, it devours all it encounters

"She dances across galaxies in an endlessly horrifying performance"

"His arrival is a cataclysmic extinction event"

"Thresh vows to feed the whole of existence to his "god" until all matter, time, and thought are erased. His work will be complete when nothing remains"

"The galaxy will suffocate in darkness"
- it will suffocate in darkness, implying this is something that is going to happen eventually, not immediately.

What do all of these quotes from the lore have in common? They all depict the Dark Star and its servants as moving across the universe through space, destroying solar systems and stars one by one, eventually causing the end of the universe once the Dark Star has consumed everything in it. In Thresh's lore it even states he is doing this "until" all matter, time and thought are erased, and only when nothing remains will he be done. Continuing his work "until" means that he is doing this over time. He isn't wiping out the whole of existence at once, he is working his way through it.

Conclusion
Conclusion? The Dark Star and its servants are not each capable of destroying all of existence on one single blow. The "devour all of existence" statement Ezreal makes, and the "destroyed realities before" of Thresh do not refer to instant events, they refer to how the Dark Star and its servants are steadily moving across the universe, devouring everything that exists in it one by one, and feeding it to the Dark Star. Eventually, the entire universe would be erased, consumed by the living black hole singularity that is the Dark Star god, reducing the entire universe, matter, time (inspired by the idea that black holes consume space-time as they grow) and thought (because everything is erased and can't think), to nothing. They have done this to previous universes before, and now they are trying to do it to the Cosmic's universe, and then they will move on to the next, eventually devouring "all of existence".

So either we take this nice logical explanation that matches up neatly with the lore of these characters, or we ignore it in favour of pretending that all the "destroy all of existence" stuff happens instantly and that everything about the dark stars travelling through the universe eating star systems one by one is just them taking their time for no reason.

I mean, if nothing else, Thresh literally wants to be one with the end of the universe, to embrace oblivion. You'd think that if he could just wipe out of all of existence with a single attack from his Dark Matter Scythe, he'd ... you know... do it. Instead of ******* around eating planets and stars one by one. But he doesn't. Because as has been made pretty damn clear... he can't.

Changes
AP and Durability

Dark Stars and Cosmics should be downgraded to "High 4-C to possibly 3-C". The High 4-C comes from the various lores about them destroying star systems, being forged of supermassive stars, creating constellations, etc etc. The possibly 3-C comes from Karma being a galactic civilisation reforged into a dark star. This is a "possibly" mainly because a galactic civilisation doesn't necessarily mean an entire galaxy.

Update: I have found a statement of Dark Lux destroying a galaxy with a thought. I have also found two statements from Dark Star Jhin that he finds destroying and killing galaxies to be "derivative" and "pedestrian". Though this could refer simply to his artistic taste wanting him to do more than just destroy, or destroy in a special fancy way or something, these are enough to remove the "possibly" from the "Galaxy level" rating.

Speed

All the links get redirected, so there is currently no evidence for any of it. Either someone finds the evidence and presents it here or they all just become MFTL by virtue of crossing interstellar distances and shooting arrows that become constellations and stuff like that.

Update: Apparently such a speed feat would be MFTL+ instead

Here we go again...

Just as a preemptive, i disagree with everything in the OP, everything that has been brought up is factually incorrect or severely out of context

Not really.

Everything's taken directly from the lore. I read through the unique quotes of every Dark Star character, some of the Cosmics. I read through the lore of every single event horizon skin.

Everything in it goes completely against the idea that the Dark Stars could wipe out all of existence in a single bite. It all takes time, all of it involves them travelling through the universe from system to system and destroying stars and planets as they go.

Reading through the OP again, the entire argument can be summarized as 'it says they can destroy galaxies and universes so they cant be 5-D'

The void affects things on the 5-D level at least.

> scan says absolutely nothing about 5-D

Great start

Monarch, there is an entire blog for both Celestial Realm and the Void. read the entire thing and the related crts where they got accepted.

I read through them.

I disagree with the thread where this stuff got accepted.

Nothing in any of those blogs would give 5D without the most leaping of interpretations. Beyond beyond all timelines or above the mortal plane or anything like that does not mean 5-D. But I don't have to argue this here, I can argue it over on the other thread I posted.

And thank you for this lovely strawman:

"Reading through the OP again, the entire argument can be summarized as 'it says they can destroy galaxies and universes so they cant be 5-D'

Holy shit you very clearly didn't read properly at all lmao.

There are far far far more statements of directly accomplished tier 4 feats, one potentially tier 3 feat, and a fuckton of context that shows everything about them ending universes to be something accomplished over time as each Dark Star servant goes out and destroys star systems one by one. The justification for Thresh ending the universe with a single attack is stretching the interpretion of a single quote from an item description to its utmost limit without regard for logic.

Also holy shit you are literally basing scaling to the void, whatever it is, off a single quote Thresh says to voidborn.

One single vague quote of a massively greater feat vs consistently lesser feats is the definition of an outlier.

Monarch

Thats lik saying that Goku can destroy a planet so he cant dstroy the universe

What you just said makes no sense

Hell the Dark Stars have multiversal feats so i dont know why youre trying to argue that theyre only feats are tier 4 to tier 3

WeeklyBattles said:
Hell the Dark Stars have multiversal feats so i dont know why youre trying to argue that theyre only feats are tier 4 to tier 3
Again, you aren't reading my post apparently.

They have destroyed multiple universes yes, but it's always been through the method of destroying everything in them one by one and feeding it to the Dark Star God until the entire universe becomes a black hole. They have never simply taken a bite out of the multiverse.

No. They are stated to destroy a 2-A multiverse instantaneously. LoL has an infinite number of 2-A multiverses. Not the universe. All of existence. 5-D existence.

I mean Monarch is the only one who's bothered to do that in his OP, where he goes through the given justifications and lore and expressed his problems with using them as evidence for 1-C characters. And as far as I can see, it's not been disproven or shown how out of context the statements are.

WeeklyBattles said:
Monarch
Thats lik saying that Goku can destroy a planet so he cant dstroy the universe

What you just said makes no sense
The difference is that Goku actually has consistent feats.

What you are doing here is literally like saying that the consistently street level Black Panther is herald level because of that one time he put Silver Surfer in a grapple hold. You are ignoring the consistent lesser feats of creating constellations and destroying star systems and instead focusing on the one quote "We have looked into the void and consumed it" that Thresh makes to a voidborn. You are taking one single example of a (potentially) massively greater feat, and ignoring the consistently lesser feats shown everywhere else.

That is the absolute defintion of an outlier, and we don't rate things based on outliers.

WeeklyBattles said:
No. They are stated to destroy a 2-A multiverse instantaneously. LoL has an infinite number of 2-A multiverses. Not the universe. All of existence. 5-D existence.
You mean Ezreal's quote? No. He doesn't state that at all. I addressed this in my post.

At the very least, do find links to stuff not on the League of Legends boards that support the current ratings, as the boards have been deleted by Riot.

Monarch Laciel said:
You mean Ezreal's quote? No. He doesn't state that at all. I addressed this in my post.
No i mean Kindred's quote's ekko's quote's taric's quotes, soraka's quotes, the quotes from the praetoreans, the darkin's quotes, zoe's quotes, and the quotes from the celestials.

WeeklyBattles said:
Ive already done so
You posted blogs that are currently being argued against, which I disagree with and believe to be stretching interpretations, and everything else you've said has been sourceless.

So no, you have not done so.

oh, wait, a lot of links were in the boards... Shit. we forgot to save the damn things before riot yeeted the entire boards into nothingnes.

WeeklyBattles said:
No i mean Kindred's quote's ekko's quote's taric's quotes, soraka's quotes, the quotes from the praetoreans, the darkin's quotes, zoe's quotes, and the quotes from the celestials.
Please, post all of these quotes then. Provide evidence, as I have done. I'm not going to argue against "just take my word on it".

You posted blogs that are currently being argued against, which I disagree with and believe to be stretching interpretations, and everything else you've said has been sourceless.

So no, you have not done so.

While the blogs are being debated, I don't think that should be used as an argument as to why the current ratings don't make sense. Just stick to the current material rather than going "X blog is nonsense, aka everything else is also nonsense". If other evidence is brought up, then we can discuss that in the context of this thread.

Can one of the two downgrade threads be closed please? Two threads arguing for the same thing is being a nightmare to argue on

RegisNex1232 said:
While the blogs are being debated, I don't think that should be used as an argument as to why the current ratings don't make sense. Just stick to the current material rather than going "X blog is nonsense, aka everything else is also nonsense". If other evidence is brought up, then we can discuss that in the context of this thread.
Alright sure. I'll step away from arguing the blogs accuracy.

Even if the blogs are correct, which will be determined in the other thread, Dark Stars destroying the Void would still be a massive outlier, based on a single quote by Thresh.

It is a feat that is vastly higher than the dozen other feats accomplished by all other Event Horizon characters, which are all located between Star Level to Galaxy Level. It is not usable.

To repeat what I said previously;

Moritzva said:
Okay, I'm going to be honest - it doesn't seem entirely fair to keep two entire debates open on this. Weekly, as the main debater of both, is kinda going to be torn thin and unable to give either one the attention it needs. I advise we close the Dark Stars/Cosmic Court and focus on this one first - after all, if LOL isn't 5-D, suddenly the latter doesn't matter, no?

@Monarch Again, youre arguing that low end feats mean high-end feats are outliers when there are multiple Low 2-C, 2-B, and 2-A feats present

WeeklyBattles said:
@Monarch Again, youre arguing that low end feats mean high-end feats are outliers when there are multiple Low 2-C, 2-B, and 2-A feats present
All the ones I have seen have only been done over time, and you have not presented any evidence of any being done all at once.

Again, present evidence. If all you have is "take my word on it" then your not giving me anything worth listening to.

Nothing has been done over time, hell Thresh has a statement that a casual attack can bust a universe

I mean you still have to bring up the evidence for evaluation though. Preferably from the lore/Riot rather than blogs here.

@Regis Both bolgs contain dozens of scans from the lore and statements from Riot. Thats why thy were made in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back