• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Link being a valid Composite or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is that the requirements that you guys want Link to adhere in order to make him composite are so strict that we would need to erase even non-composite characters like Mario or Kirby or honestly any RPG protagonist with multiple games.

We should at least wait till the matter with the composites is resolved, see what are the new composite guidelines and then see if Link fits those.

Marvel is hardly the only verse to have reincarnations like that anyways. I could find a few if you want myself.

Wokistan said:
Marvel is hardly the only verse to have reincarnations like that anyways. I could find a few if you want myself.
"They're all neutered to be the same guy, and that's the difference between Link and random guy that reincarnates 101. While these characters reincarnate and become different characters, like how Aang is different than Korra who's different than Roku, Link reincarnates and remains the same character, to the point that every Link was thought to be (and probably were before retcons) always the same in every game till WW came. Even then, 4/5 different Links were considered to be the same one till Hyrule Historia decided to say they were different ones."

ZephyrosOmega said:
Also I love how the only points for "remove composite link" come from comparing him to forking marvel characters
Also I love how you didn't bother to actually read through this thread if you think that's the only point for it.

Okay but if it was later said they're different, then they're different. Even if they were the same dude there's never a point where he has everything at once, and you'd still be inventing a character in indexing it as if there is.

Zark2099 said:
It comes from composite Link being a made up a fanfic of a character serving only to wank Link to his fullest while ignoring continuity and canonically different version of the characters being pulled in, all the while having trivial, absolutely bullshit reasons to exist.
>"Only a fanfic"

>It's literally the only version of Link used for VSdebating, in and out of the wiki

"ignoring continuity and canonically different version of the characters being pulled in"

Are we even talking about the same person? Composite Link is only the composite of all CANON Links coming exclusively from the canon games that are all fit in a single canon timeline. Manga or cartoons or spin-offs aren't even taken in consideration.

TriforcePower1 said:
"They're all neutered to be the same guy, and that's the difference between Link and random guy that reincarnates 101. While these characters reincarnate and become different characters, like how Aang is different than Korra who's different than Roku, Link reincarnates and remains the same character, to the point that every Link was thought to be (and probably were before retcons) always the same in every game till WW came. Even then, 4/5 different Links were considered to be the same one till Hyrule Historia decided to say they were different ones."
That is still not a reason to make a composite.

A profile has to list what one character has. If the character has major varying powers at varying times, then you make alternate keys. If the keys get excessive in number, you make different profiles in reasonable cut off points (like, maybe, different games?).

This is like arguing that Naruto should have one profile and one key, because all of them are the same person. Breath of the Wild and Majora's Mask Link's both differ greatly, as does teenage and adult Naruto. So, different profiles.

I'm not really seeing how we need to remove mario, kirby, or rpg characters. Especially on that latter one where i have a direct point of comparison. My in progress Destiny PC has a masive amount of equipment and abilities, and not all the stuff from D1 is in D2. Therefore, i make this clear on the profile and people just don't mix and match when they're doing threads, simple enough.

They're not. You yourself straight up said they're different when Hyrule Historia, a canonical book published under Nintendo that mainly dealt with the lore of LoZ, considers them as different characters. So if their canon says they're different, why the **** do we assume them to be the same?

I can provide 5 different examples of this "they have the same soul" nonsense in other verses existing, non-Marvel even, and still we don't treat them as the same beings. The soul thing is trivial at best, it means next to nothing if that's the only goddamn reason supporting it

Yep, Adult Naruto does not have things that teenage Naruto does, depite him being the literal same character. Teenage Naruto also loses some small things to his kid page.

I don't care, but calling people absolut Wankers, and going around doing headcanons and call are efforts bullshit reasons, is just bloody uncalled for we do not need to resort to that kind of degrading talk.

Would also like to note that Samus Ara doesn't even reincarnate or whatever, she just has the tendency to lose a bunch of gear at the start of each game. Note how she specifically has the Prime stuff only for that time and doesn't have it later, so her P&A section excludes those from the "all previous". Samus isn't just misleadingly composited to imply she retains those forever.

It still is ignoring canon stuff anyways, since some incarnations of link are mutually exclusive because the timelines aren't concurrent.

TriforcePower1 said:
>"Only a fanfic"

>It's literally the only version of Link used for VSdebating, in and out of the wiki
Do you know everyone composites ******* Mask and Superman into a single person because they don't bother researching beyond common knowledge?

Do you know the other Debating sites don't use tiers to scale characters?

If we wanted to do what other wikis do, then we'll get rid of our entire system, first off, so don't bother using that as a reason either.

Also, about your second comment, I guess I worded that poorly, I meant unrelated Links

Wokistan said:
It still is ignoring canon stuff anyways, since some incarnations of link are mutually exclusive because the timelines aren't concurrent.
Actually they are aka Botw all the timelines merges into one to create breath of the wild as shown in the game the body of levias a sky dragon well diety can be found in breath of the wild same thing for wind fish.

If I offended you personally, I apologize, but I legitimately don't think I said anything offensive to anyone

You'd need much stronger and more direct proof than elements of previous games being present in a game that takes place thousands of years later or whatever, since what you're trying to argue against is direct contradictions in the vein of "ganondorf wins here and loses here". Is there some sort of direct implication that the timelines actually merged beyond call backs/easter eggs? This is the same game with the amiibos and stuff after all.

There's no direct implication or anything, best we have is the offical Zelda website (Or some kind of offical Nintendo website or whatever) placing Breath of the Wild at the end of all 3 timelines.

I don't care about that I'm just arguing the fact he said that all timelines are independent of each other not meeting at or tending toward one point.

But Botw completely debunks that. Since all the timelines can still affect each other hence why they all merged into one again.

Not really, I always assumed the implication of BoTW being at the end of the timelines was an implication no matter what the timeline may be, it'll eventually lead to the Breath of the Wild due to it being set so far in the future.

Ashen there's no concrete evidence of the timelines merging, maybe it'll be proven true in BOTW2 but as it stands it's currently headcanon.

Wokistan said:
Okay but if it was later said they're different, then they're different. Even if they were the same dude there's never a point where he has everything at once, and you'd still be inventing a character in indexing it as if there is.
Nintendo officially composited Link in both the website and Hyrule Encyclopedia. I've even posted a picture of the two pages dedicated to just "Link" in general, and there are no pages dedicated to singular Links. Basically:

Nintendo: Okay, we now created this character called Link who's the protagonist of the Zelda series just like Mario is the protagonist of the Super Mario series.

VSBW: ProtagonistS

N: What do you mean?

VSBW: You see, they're all reincarnation of the same character, not the SAME character

N: What's even the difference? Link is the Hero of Hyrule that will always reincarnate to save the world from evil. We made every Link identical in aspect exactly to show that he's still the same person.

VSBW: Yeah, but a single Link who's just every other Link doesn't exist, so we're just going to assume they're all different people.

N: Well, they still share the same soul, the "Spirit of the Hero", that's enough, isn't it? Oh well, anyway, here, take a look to our website, we made a single page for Link to show how there's a single protagonist to the Zelda series.

VSBW: As if, you just made it to save time, not because you really think all Links are the same

N: Okay, I'll make a book, no, an Encyclopedia, it will contain every single item in the Zelda series, it analyzes how the geography of Hyrule evolved, hell, it will even explain how the marine biology of Hyrule evolved over the ages because yes, and we're still going to give Link a single section without considering his incarnations because he IS ALWAYS THE SAME CHARACTER.

VSBW:... But it never showcases in a game every single one of his abilities over his 30 years of history, so we cannot make a page for him just because you canonized Composite Link.

N: If that's the problem then why are you so fixated on Link instead of, I dunno, Mario, Kirby or others?

VSBW: Because Link is not the same character in his games, duh

N: *bangs its head on a wall wondering how it came to this*

Eiji Aonuma himself said that all of the timelines merges together but he can't say anything one because he don't want to interfere with fans too much and 2 the guy is literally working on Botw 2.

"Video games, not just Zelda, can go much, much further! We got a lot of responses from adult players who said they felt the same way playing this game as they did when they used to be hooked on video games when they were younger," Aonuma says within new book Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Creating a Champion, as transcribed by Nintendo Insider. "We made this game with the intention of returning to our roots, so the response from players about feeling the same as they had when they were young is promising.

"In books like the recently released The Legend of Zelda Encyclopedia, we revealed where each Zelda game fell on a timeline and how their stories related, but we didn't do that for Breath of the Wild. There is a reason for that. With this game, we saw just how many players were playing in their own way and had those reactions I just mentioned.

"We realised that people were enjoying imagining the story that emerged from the fragmentary imagery we were providing. If we defined a restricted timeline, then there would be a definitive story, and it would eliminate the room for imagination, which wouldn't be as fun.

"We want players to be able to continue having fun imagining this world even after they are finished with the game, so, this time, we decided that we would avoid making clarifications. I hope that everyone can find their own answer, in their own way."

He is purposely leaving things vague but official guides and official website comfirms that Botw is part of a merged timeline from WoG himself.

VSBW:... But it never showcases in a game every single one of his abilities over his 30 years of history, so we cannot make a page for him just because you canonized Composite Link.

N: If that's the problem then why are you so fixated on Link instead of, I dunno, Mario, Kirby or others?

VSBW: Because Link is not the same character in his games, duh

N: *bangs its head on a wall wondering how it came to this*

Tri we're doing this one step at a time, if you think Mario and Kirby need to be looked at then we can do that after this.

Zark2099 said:
They're not. You yourself straight up said they're different when Hyrule Historia, a canonical book published under Nintendo that mainly dealt with the lore of LoZ, considers them as different characters. So if their canon says they're different, why the **** do we assume them to be the same?
Where? Hyrule Historia is over 200 pages long, so finding it on my own is a bit hard

DragonEmperor23 said:
Tri we're doing this one step at a time, if you think Mario and Kirby need to be looked at then we can do that after this.
Pretty much.

Let's not justify cases on other cases that may or may not be wrong.

Ricsi-viragosi said:
Nice little talkshow Tri, but fact is that you are repeatedly ignoring the point.

Weather it's the same character or not means jack shit. There is no point in the games where any one being shares all of the incarnation's powers, hence no composite.

That's it.
There is, but it's in Hyrule Encyclopedia, which, as I think I've repeated for the tenth time now, does not distinguish between the different Links and just talks about "Link".

Composite Link doesn't exist only if you turn your head around and ignore it. Also, so sorry that a game protagonist with over 30 years of history cannot showcase all of his abilities in a single game

Logically speaking TFP1 is right lugi as Kirby as never shown to be able to weild all his powers at the same time, Samus as dark suis listed with her Varia suit and gravity suit plus phazon suit when it shouldn't be a thing.

And she is never shown to weild everything in Samus and Joey.

Same thing for Mario. So I understand where TFP1 is coming from.

Also like I said at the very start I also think that Mario and Kirby or whatever else does something similar needs to be looked at.

TriforcePower1 said:
There is, but it's in Hyrule Encyclopedia, which, as I think I've repeated for the tenth time now, does not distinguish between the different Links and just talks about "Link".

Composite Link doesn't exist only if you turn your head around and ignore it. Also, so sorry that a game protagonist with over 30 years of history cannot showcase all of his abilities in a single game
Being referred to as one person does not mean that there is a Link with all equipment and abilities from all games.

Adult Naruto and Teen Naruto are the same, but there is no point where all of their abilities and items coincide.

Samus stays the same bird gal, but her equipment still changes.

So show me at which point in time every ability or equipment Link has is present at once for him in canon, please, or drop it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back