• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Link being a valid Composite or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Tri

"They are the same character"

Except they literally lack 90% of the stuff our page has. It being the same character, having different power sets throughout different incarnations doesn't mean we can just come up with a completely non existent, made up version that has all powers of all other incarnations and can be used like that.

I'll just say it one more time.

Link's soul is no different than Mario, with the only difference being that while Link's soul reincarnates, Mario stays in a single body. Not even memory or experiences matter because Link's soul would have experienced all of Link's adventures anyway. Link's soul, "the Spirit of the Hero", is a character that really exists and treating him any different than Mario or Kirby is just simple, plain double standards. If you have problems with these kinds of pages, make another thread, because it would affect most videogame protagonists with multiple games, and not just Link.

...what?

You're stating that, despite admitting that the different Links have different experiences and memories, that simply having the same spirit means they still have the experience advantages from previous lifetimes?

...no. That's just straight up 100% unfounded.

I need to restate this. Composite profiles are pretty much only being allowed in cases of canon composites, that is, composite characters who actually exist in the canon at some point.

Now, let's look at Link. He's a separate character in almost every game, with different equipment, skills and experiences. It is also an established part of the lore, both in-game and through constant developer statements about the timeline and official guides that Link is definitely a different character in all of these games.

By arguing that composite Link should be considered a canon composite based on having a single profile on the Zelda website, you're stating that every single piece of evidence beforehand should be overwritten and overturned based on the assumptio that they are "canonising his composite through having only one profile", an unfounded assumption that contradicts all of the games lore with several different, significantly more likely explanations.

There is no debate to be had here.

@Dark

You're trying to debunk Composite Link, but you need to debunk Link itself. Composite Link can go away, but "Link", "The Spirit of the Hero", remains not as a composite but as an actual character like Mario or Kirby. Because "The Spirit of the Hero", at difference of Composite Link, EXISTS, and can be treated like Mario or Kirby since he's literally the same thing.

TriforcePower1 said:
@Dark

You're trying to debunk Composite Link, but you need to debunk Link itself. Composite Link can go away, but "Link", "The Spirit of the Hero", remains not as a composite but as an actual character like Mario or Kirby. Because "The Spirit of the Hero", at difference of Composite Link, EXISTS, and can be treated like Mario or Kirby since he's literally the same thing.
What reason is there this arguing then? If you two agree on the same thing

As far as I'm aware, the "Spirit of the Hero" has zero feats beyond being able to reincarnate Link.

The "Spirit of the Hero" is basically the soul of every single Link that reincarnates. It's also the reason why some Links are directly born with the Triforce of Courage, as it's bound to Link's soul. The Master Sword is also bound to it, which is why only Link can use it.

Firephoenixearl said:
Cus only the name is changing.

Does "Link Spirit of the Hero" even fight, or do anything besides reincarnate?
DarkGrath said:
As far as I'm aware, the "Spirit of the Hero" has zero feats beyond being able to reincarnate Link.
The "Spirit of the Hero" IS Link. Or, better, his soul.

Yet the Spirit of the Hero itself cannot fight. Or at least has never shown to fight.

Yet we're trying to make him an actual character that fights other people with all the stuff he has ever shown in "reincarnations". Just no.

Alright.

So the Spirit of the Hero is Link, or more specifically his soul. Under certain conditions, it can be bound to specific things, like the triforce of courage and the master sword. And with how it is demonstrated throughout the games, the moniker of "Link" is maintained but the actual people themselves have very different experiences, abilities, equipment, etc and therefore can't be scaled from one another from this.

...so what would the point of this page even be? These characters wouldn't scale from eachother based on having the same soul outside of a few extremely specific aspects. It wouldn't even be a composite Link at that point, it would be "the things Link generally has between his incarnations".

Again, The Spirit of the Hero is Link. You could say that every Link is just The Spirit of the Hero reincarnating to stop Ganon (or evil guy in general), so yeah, he can fight.

I'm simply asking him to be considered like the other Nintendo protagonists like he is.

See, here's the dealio, either Link is the same character across all the games or he isn't, profiles are gonna get deleted no matter what, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

The other Nintendo protagonists are not reincarnations of themselves with complicated timelines and canonicities.

Also, there isn't any indication that the soul itself is able to fight. Being able to create a character who can fight =/= being able to fight. And before you say it, yes, I am aware that "the spirit of the hero is Link himself". But with how many different depictions there are of Link with completely varied circumstances, this doesn't mean much. The spirit of the hero, in a physical sense, doesn't fight the way that Link does.

Reincarnation does not grant each incarnation the abilities of their predecessors and successors unless specifically proven otherwise. This is why Tenma doesn't have the Sagittarius Cloth despite being the preincarnation of Seiya, yet Athena Asamiya has the powers (but not stats) of Princess Athena. It's stated her powers were transmigrated.

As much as I hate to admit it due to Cal making a good point about how people off site treat Link in vs debates, Composite Link should not exist. We shouldn't make an exception for him either.

Few things are shared between the Links such as the ability to use the Master Sword and a connection with the Triforce of Courage.

Zark2099 said:
See, here's the dealio, either Link is the same character across all the games or he isn't, profiles are gonna get deleted no matter what, you can't have your cake and eat it too.
If he is the same character, why cannot I make a page about that character? Also, what does that expression even mean?

Complicated canonicity and Zelda don't really go well together. Only canon stuff in Zelda are games, books and manuals. Characters that can create other characters that fight are still allowed in the wiki anyway.

>Different depictions of Link

He's always just a boy with a relatively normal life that gets thrown into Destiny and he needs to destroy the evil powerful guy with his courage. As I said before, all Links are neutered one and another to let them be the same character, by Nintendo, which, as I'll repeat again, considers Link a single character. Hell, Hyrule Encyclopedia has pages for every single species of Fish in the Zelda series but only has a single section dedicated solely to "Link", without distinguishing his different incarnations.

All Links share several things, like soul, appearances and personality. They're all neutered to be the same guy, and that's the difference between Link and random guy that reincarnates 101. While these characters reincarnate and become different characters, like how Aang is different than Korra who's different than Roku, Link reincarnates and remains the same character, to the point that every Link was thought to be (and probably were before retcons) always the same in every game till WW came. Even then, 4/5 different Links were considered to be the same one till Hyrule Historia decided to say they were different ones.

And honestly, if literally everyone outside the site does it and it doesn't harm this one, do we really need to go out of our way just to appear different than the others?

If he's the same character, then like, half of his tabber is BSing then, and thus those profiles will be nuked.

Also, looking through the wiki, the Spirit of Time works exactly the same as the Spirit of Vengeance, which guess what? We don't composite Ghost Rider (Marvel Comics) like that, mainly because it's stupid of us as a site that purports itself as a indexing site to dump each and every individual capabilities a Ghost Rider may have which aren't shown, ever, by any other Rider. Same applies for Link, they're different characters possessing the same power source, hell there are completely independant timelines even.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_can't_have_your_cake_and_eat_it

Eh, I would say it's more similar to Goku, in which making a single page for everyone would eventually be pretty messy. As you can see, some those pages are pretty big and with multiple keys. Either that, or we just Composite them, which is fine for me, but apparently others don't want to.

I feel like Ghost Rider's problem mostly comes from the fact that he comes from Marvel than anything else

We Italians are more poetic (and sexists) using: "You cannot have the barrel full and your wife drunk"

As far as I can see, no, since Hyrule Historia officially states them as different Links

Something being Marvel doesn't mean it isn't a valid point anymore

I meant that it's very likely that there are canonicity issues or some other problem due to how big the verse is. Maybe the different Ghost Riders are made by different authors, maybe they are in different universes etc.

A bit more of explanation would be nice.

Also, what is "The Spirit of Time"?

Wait so Hylia who basically created Link's Soul to be compatible with the master sword to only Link (and her), like some ID test and literally groom his soul to be compatible with the TF, is not the Link to you guys?

Demise cursed skyward Sword Link to come back again and again and again, the spirit of the hero is basically SS link coming back to life every single time in different timelines too, he is cursed to come back all Link's share the same personality traits, abilities to weild any kind of weapons and be proficient with it, physical appearance.

Heck Link's soul is trying to be so authentic it literally reincarnated himself in his own descendent.

Nintendo consideres all Link's the exact same person because they all have the same soul, the body is not what makes a person a Link it is literally stated in more than 5 Zelda legends that link is well link because of his soul.

It's not a coincidence that all blue eye and blonde hair kids when they are born are called Link, or are insanely talented in everything.

How many random npc hylians in Zelda games are even called Link?

Nintendo quite clearly told us that Link is literally the same person just born in a different era.

If you don't have SS Link's soul you quite literally can't be link.

It's the same reason why Link has to do a trial every single time in every single Zelda game, to test if it's him or not.

Heck BOTW solidify that by literally saying that the shrines was made for the new Link of the Botw era to see if he is still the same even after being reincarnated.

After what happen to Botw link he needed to take some challenge to see if he still had the same spirit, because after his 100 year nap he was so disconnected with himself the spirit of the hero that the master sword was literally going to kill him.

Because he wasn't like Link (from SS), same thing in ocarina of time young link hadn't mature enough to fully be Link so the sword sealed him in time for 10 years just so that it can help Link's (spirit) rise up again.

Yes, that is what we call reincarnation.

Weather there can be a profile compositing their abilities isn't dependant on all of them being the same person. It's dependant on them being able to use all of the abilities the others can.

So what you have to prove isn't all Link's being the same spirit, but that all Links can do everything that other Links could. If they don't share all abilities, then it doesn't matter because the different incarnations would need different keys, which would eventually lead to different pages due to the number.

From what i know of link not all his incarnations have the same abilities, even more their equipment varies substantially between games. I mean he turns into a wolf in one game iirc...He can't do that in every game.

Can he do it in his every incarnation though? Does he have his multitude of mask in every incarnation? Ect- my point is he can't do everything his every incarnation can. he as an entity never has all his abilities and equipment available to him, the way he does in his current composite profile.

ZephyrosOmega said:
Also I love how the only points for "remove composite link" come from comparing him to forking marvel characters
Uhm.

A lot of people say "remove him" without comparison. Like me saying "remove him cus he cannot use all abilities at the same time and spirit of the hero doesn't even fight at all, he's just a means for reincarnation".

ZephyrosOmega said:
Also I love how the only points for "remove composite link" come from comparing him to forking marvel characters
...No?

It's that composite characters won't be a thing anymore.

The only reason to keep Link was that each version of him is a reincarnation, which doesn't matter since each reincarnation almost always has (a) standalone ability(/ies).

The comparison to Marvel came to show that having a common soul/spirit is not enough to be a composite.

It comes from composite Link being a made up a fanfic of a character serving only to wank Link to his fullest while ignoring continuity and canonically different version of the characters being pulled in, all the while having trivial, absolutely bullshit reasons to exist.

Don't make a strawman out of this, Zeph, if you wanna ignore every other point then don't bother commenting with absolute ignorance to draw support your way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back