• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Is moon busting considered an outlier?

I've known as soon as I read the manga in English and viewed the anime when I see Roshi blew away Mount Frypan when he displayed the Kamehameha for the first time, and then several episodes later, I see him destroy the moon to prevent Goku as an Oozaru to cause more destruction in the 21st World Tournament. Should it still consider that as an outlier, even though he would be comparable to Goku as he grew in terms of strength levels? It's like the scan that talks about Goku's Super Kamehameha was powerful enough to destroy the moon. Would that make sense for Roshi to have that rather than say that he was only powerful enough to destroy a mountain with MAX Power mode Kamehameha, and he "overdid" it rather than just putting out the flames.

The moon destroying feat Roshi did during the 21st Budokai is often regarded as an outlier at this point of the series when it happened due to stronger characters not demonstrating such a feat until the Saiyan Saga.

Yet it took you guys some time to accept for Cell to be a Solar System buster after thinking that he was "bluffing", but he was downright serious, and he has Piccolo's intellect. I find it pretty skeptical about that logic of Roshi not being close to planetary until fighting some soldiers of the Frieza Force during Resurrection "F". I mean, when he blew up the moon during the tournament, he just used up all of his energy in his attack, so he and Goku had to fight with pure fighting skill afterward, and they're roughly equal in terms of power despite their size difference. It really does demonstrate to Goku that there are indeed others stronger than him. King Piccolo can do more than just being a city destroyer, right? He just treats it like a sort of lottery of whoever is a sorry sap to be wiped out from the surface. And Piccolo Jr. could've been more than just "small country level" based on the size of the explosion he created to blow Goku away. It doesn't really have a good scale whenever it comes to the comics or animations since they don't have a reference sheet to compare size. I guess I find it less convincing, I guess. Look at Death Battle, they didn't do a good job measuring Goku's speed Post-King Kai's training when he flew over Snake Way by "comparing his height to a single spike in each curve". So what, Piccolo's Light Grenade to damage Cell (First Form) engulfs an archipelago, so you mean to say that it is an island level? You know what I'm saying?

I kind of agree with Sun Wukong. The reason given for Roshi not being Moon Level is:

"King Picollo could only destroy a City and he was MUCH stronger."

But....

Piccolo wanted to rule the world. He wouldn't want to use a full power Moon Level attack and risk wiping out all life. Who's to say that Picollo wasn't ALSO moon level and simply contained the AOE of his blast?

Exactly. His "bucket list" is the conquest for world domination. If he truly is a city level threat, wouldn't they just drop the bomb on him? They could've evacuated the citizens and just bring in the army to take him down or something like that.

Not to mention what Goku had said before the difference of his power when he uses during tournaments with the power he uses in combat. Like he hasn't used his true strength, otherwise he would've killed his opponent and have him disqualified. Especially when his Ki Blasts actually enhances his "power level" as how Raditz scanned his young brother with his unlikely ally compared to how much stronger their attacks were when they power up. It's no doubt the mountain busting Kamehameha was carried away as he didn't mean to destroy Mount FryPan. And the moment he destroyed the moon, he doesn't have enough power to fire any more Ki Blasts afterwards, and so does Goku. All they have to do is just fight with choreography as the song Mezase Tenkaichi plays in the original, which I really loved to listen and should've used it in the dub. Maybe due to not having rights to use insert music?

I guess it went from questioning about his feat to another direction. Of course, I haven't done it like this before. You know, posting on "Content Revision board" that you mentioned.

I'll be perfectly honest with you, bro, I've never done it either. Just, you seem to make some pretty good points, and you will never get a green light for anything to change on a Q&A board.

Just make a post on that board with all your arguments for why Master Roshi's moon bust shouldn't be an outlier, and gather some knowledgeable DB members to discuss from here: https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Knowledgeable_Members_List

Never mind. Someone beat me to it, and I'm pretty much of a back-up for this person and talk more evidence about this "outlier".

Back