• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

inFAMOUS discussion thread 2

^That's also how I see it. All throughout inFamous 1, Cole had to deal with a lot of shit that was WAY beyond his control. So it makes sense that he'd be pretty angry for most of the game. Hell, he didn't really accept his role as a protector until literally the last mission of the game (after destroying the Ray Sphere). And after his fight with Kessler, he was too depressed to really want to do anything with it until he finally realized that feeling sorry for himself wasn't gonna accomplish anything and decided to move on.

Really, inFamous 1 was more about Cole dealing with the crazy world that he had now been flung into, and finally learning to take responsibility for his own life instead of running away and letting others tell him what to do, and inFamous 2 was about Cole deciding his own fate and trying to change destiny.

Cole in general changes a good deal between games. He straight up goes from running away from nearly everything in his life by the first game to psyching himself up after the Beast bats away all his power and hard work, all in one day.

Also worth mentioning Cole isn't exactly snarky, at least not as much as an MCU character.

He is very cynically sarcastic, though. A man after my own heart.

Hey, so I'm looking into revising Dlesin's speed.

Long story short, I don't think he's actually FTL. I think Neon dash is more him turning into a cloud of neon gas and traveling that way, not a mass of light.

In other words, Delsin and pretty much all of second son would be majorly nerfed in the speed department.

That was brought up before like two years ago, and we found that the in-game description describes Light Speed and Neon Beams as being composed of photons and "Neon Light". While others attacks, like the Radiant Sweep, are described as "raw neon energy". So it seems that the game makes the distinction between "light" and "energy". Not to mention Delsin and Eugene can travel through radio waves with Video (which are also the speed of light). Even without that, scaling should put them at least as fast as InFAMOUS 2 Cole (Relativistic+).

Without Light Speed neon and video, it makes Fetch's finisher feat irrelevant, and the only High 7-A feat they would scale to is Delsin converting enemies into energy (and we'd probably have to calc the island destruction feat).

It also means their best speed feat (without scaling) is dodging bullets from the FN SCAR, which would make them Supersonic+.

Like I said a couple years ago, Neon has a bunch of light speed statements and even explicitly mentions photons being used in the process.

Although it's true that there are times where it doesn't act like light, I think the in game descriptions and statements should back up at least lightspeed with Neon (and Video)

The problem is, his light speed and Neon beams do not behave anything like our light standards. They're solid and possess mass, shown by them knocking DUP soldiers over when an actual laser would merely leave intense burns, cannot be reflected by mirrors, do not refract in water, and can be intracted with by others (such as when Delsin holds his neon chain in melee). Delsin's neon dash can constantly change direction like a person running, which is fundamentally impossible for light or photons to do. Were it to behave like actual light, it would act more like the smoke dash: a straight dash in a single direction, that cannot change that direction unless Delsin exits the form.

Video has an equal amount of problems, but they're pretty much the same as Neon so I won't spend too much time on them. The only time I can see something that does hold to our standards is the video dash from a radio dish, which does have Delsin travel in a way that obeys our light standards.

Further more, at best this would put him at SoL even if it were accurate, which it isn't. And even more, they would only apply to the Dash speeds of each character, not their base speeds, unlike Cole's feat, which was done at base speeds.

Descriptions can only take one so far when there is a mountain of evidence saying the exact opposite of it.

He is stated by WOG to be twice as fast as Cole, on top of all the light statements

It producing physical force is actually something lighting can do past 8-B, as seen... Somewhere in M3X's blogs, I'd have to take a long look

Also, that island destruction is probably not even 8-A, but it wouldn't be super easy to calculate anyhow

He can't shoot them down unfortunately.

That said, heavily depends on the planes average speed, and unfortunately, those aircraft don't resemble a single real life aircraft

And this is coming from the dude with a ******* aircraft callsign as his name.

Actually, another thing with Neon:

We did have a thread where Light Manipulation should be able to allow light to bend while still being real light

It went in circles of "you can't prove it's the same speed when it's bent" but Neon indeed goes at the same speed when you change direction so

Either way ugh, as per the power, I think that might just be apart of accelerated development and learning new stuff as we go along

I'd still argue for seperating it into seperate sections, with his base and dash speeds being different since we have no proof that his base speed is FTL and know that his dash speeds are faster than his normal by a large amount

@Knight

I can see different speeds for movement with dashes tbh. Although you could also argue that they can scale reactions wise since they can steer and react to things while dashing.

Also, iirc there was a fear of Eugene dodging a neon bolt in the past.

@DMUA

Do you think it counts as instinctive reaction or nah?

He's not really reacting to anything

There is no real power for using something off instinct, and if you think about it, it's not even really a power

Literally every living being can do this

The thing is Cole had no idea he could do this until he "got a feeling," which is pretty big considering up until then he thought he could just shoot lightning out his hands.

I am trying as hard as I can to avoid lewder topics as an example of things you sort of just figure out and it is not easy

Doing the do is different from finding out you can shoot shockwaves out of your hands, something a normal human has no frame of reference with

To put it the easiest way to understand, figuring out something complex when you already have some of the basics down for is relatively common amongst humans. Figuring out something when you have absolutely none of the basics down or barely have one of them is not, and would qualify instinctive reaction/development. So would doing something despite having no reasonable way to know how or why to do that thing, like dodging a sneak attack without any way of knowing it was coming.

In this way, Cole had been practicing with his zaps for months, so we can firmly say he had the basics down.

in terms of doing the do, I think you can figure out what the "basics" are without my help

Should we add something for Cole being somewhat resistant to water? He was able to survive floating in the Empire City harbour after his fight with the Beast for a lengthy amount of time (at least until Zeke and Kuo could bring him aboard the ship), and in gameplay he can withstand shoulder to neck deep water for about 30 seconds at least.

I don't if we add resistance to water in the Powers and Abilities or just clarify it in his Weaknesses.

I think it would be better to specify that he isn't super weak to it

Back