• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Alex Mercer vs Cole McGrath (PROTOTYPE VS inFAMOUS)

Ok, so this may have been discussed a long time ago, but considering that DEATH BATTLE is featuring the two of them in their next video, I would like to see what everyone's opinions are on who would win.

So lets get this STARTED!!!

Rules:
  • Peak Alex Mercer (Prototype 2) Used
  • Peak Good Cole (Infamous 2) used.
  • Speed Equalized (I would say no equalization because of death battle rules, but I don't agree with the speeds stats given for Alex or Cole so we're doing it)
  • Battle starts in Times Square
  • SBA for everything else.

Story (Cause its fun) (Also non-canon)
Cole heads to New York for a day in order to check out a rumor about a Blast Shard or a Conduit. Its been a few years since the first outbreak, so the city is relatively calm - well as calm as a city can be. However, as Cole makes his way to times square, this calm soon fades as he sees Alex gutting his way through multiple BlackWatch members with his claws. Regardless of whethere Cole supports this or not, he recognises Alex as a threat and so the two square off.

Who wins and why?

myCf3pQ.jpg

"Sometimes I hear people talking about Conduits and Humans like they're totally different. That's bullshit. Cause there ain't nobody with more Humanity than Cole MacGrath."

Alex-Mercer.Prototype-Series.webp

"One virus, three weeks, millions dead... and I was there. My name was Alex Mercer, and my work is almost done."

Cole McGrath:
Alex Mercer: @DeathNoodles
Inconclusive:

Last edited:
Peak Alex Mercer (Prototype 2) Used
Speed Equalized
Mercer gasses. Stomp in Mercer's favour.

Also, this matchup will not be added to the characters' profiles unless you specify whether its Infamous 2 Good Cole or Evil Cole.

Unlike Death Battle, the outcome in VSBW is a whole different beast.

Last edited:
Mercer doesn't beat Infamous 1 Cole, much less this pseudo composite version of him.

Mercer fans will continue to cope while Cole chuds continue to prosper.

Mercer doesn't beat Infamous 1 Cole, much less this pseudo composite version of him.

Mercer fans will continue to cope while Cole chuds continue to prosper.
Yes he does, based on their VSBW profiles, especially since the OP does not even specify that Beast Cole is even allowed.

Death Battle is irrelevant here, VSBW Cole can't get past VSBW Mercer's hax abilities. Cole's resistance to Disease Manipulation and Biological Manipulation is just not good enough.

This thread right here, which is approved by a staff member, is all that is needed to prove that Cole just gets wrecked by the Blacklight Virus' infection - if Sasha's Tar could screw him over hard with its symptoms, then the Blacklight Virus just ends him.

😬

That just isn't true brosky, I'll explain why later as this thread does interest me.
Cough
This thread right here, which is approved by a staff member, is all that is needed to prove that Cole just gets wrecked by the Blacklight Virus' infection - if Sasha's Tar could screw him over hard with its symptoms, then the Blacklight Virus just ends him.
Cole is NOT getting past Mercer's Mid-High regeneration. And if Cole's electricity wasn't able to fry Sasha's tar, which is not even noted for having any heat resistance, then the Blacklight Virus (which is completely superior to Sasha's tar in every way that matters, including infecting stuff at the Molecular level) just infects Cole.

And he just dies to the Blacklight Virus. Plain and simple.

I hope you understand that "Peak Cole" would be Beast Cole.....

I really hope you aren't arguing that Disease Manipulation and Biological Manipulation would kill someone with High regeneration....

If this is Cole is he even or good? Don't think it matters much though.
I have no idea what you meant by this, can you re-explain it?

I hope you understand that "Peak Cole" would be Beast Cole.....

I really hope you aren't arguing that Disease Manipulation and Biological Manipulation would kill someone with High regeneration....

I have no idea what you meant by this, can you re-explain it?
The OP said "Good or Evil Cole can be used, but not both", he didn't say "Beast Cole". So unless the OP decided to specify it later, only Infamous 2 Good Cole or Evil Cole is used (unless he meant Beast Cole, which probably would've been a stomp in Beast Cole's favour anyways. However, Beast Cole is the ONLY version that stomps Mercer, the other versions just gets haxstomped by Mercer).

If this is not Beast Cole, then he doesn't get High Regeneration, so he dies.

Anyways, I'm heading off to bed. I'll read the future replies and response to them in the next day.

The OP said "Good or Evil Cole can be used, but not both", he didn't say "Beast Cole".
Evil Cole's peak would be his Beast iteration.

That's what the definition of peak denotes, the greatest point of one's abilities, power etc. I guess we can ask and see what the OP actually meant by "Peak Cole" in this instance, but acting like the assertion is unfounded would be incorrect.

Anyways, I'm heading off to bed. I'll read the future replies and response to them in the next day.
Good night sleep tight don't let the bed bugs bite.

If this is Good Cole then Alex just Gasses him gg. If this is Evil Cole then Alex still just needs to Gas him to win unless it's Beast Cole.

If this is Good Cole then Alex just Gasses him gg. If this is Evil Cole then Alex still just needs to Gas him to win unless it's Beast Cole.
Actually, the gas wouldnt probably affect him. I got a quote from another debater so im just going to leave it here
Of course, the one major thing that hasn’t been brought up yet is the Blacklight Virus, it has a lot of stuff to cover and is Alex’s most prominent wincon, having hundreds of strains, being capable of driving people mad, and its general potency as a virus is almost unmatched, so how can Cole handle it?

Well for starters, thanks to being able to fend off Sasha’s tar, which is a mind control agent that can drive people mad, the mind and madness aspect of the Blacklight Virus would fail to mess with Cole. Furthermore, considering Alex’s main method of trying to infect Cole would be the gas he can release from his body, the most obvious and blunt answer would be Cole to use Ionic Vortex to… literally blow it away with a tornado-it has mass, it’s a gas, it can be tossed around by high winds such as a tornado to prevent it from getting close to Cole.

But if Cole were to get infected, there’s a shockingly hard counter to the Blacklight virus being able to survive in Cole's body. Most viruses die within the mid-100 degrees Fahrenheit or so, and while Alex did survive the nuclear explosion, the distance means the heat he withstood wasn’t as much as it could’ve been meaning the Blacklight Virus’ heat resistance isn’t too potent. Why does this matter? Because Cole's lightning, which is generated passively by his body and can surround him in a storm of electricity, gets up to 50,000 degrees Fahrenheit, far hotter than anything the Blacklight Virus would have survived, meaning it’s a genuine possibility that Cole could literally fry the virus out of his body even if it were to enter him, preventing it from infecting him at all.
Not going to get involved or cast a vote since I created the thread, but I thought I would leave this tibit here.

Actually, the gas wouldnt probably affect him. I got a quote from another debater so im just going to leave it here
I'm just gonna leave this link here and watch as this argument literally falls apart.

Looking at the profile Mid High is literally fake. There's still organic matter of Alex left, so obliterating him from a distance is GG pretty much due to SBA starting them far apart

Looking at the profile Mid High is literally fake. There's still organic matter of Alex left, so obliterating him from a distance is GG pretty much due to SBA starting them far apart
Everytime someone has made a CRT to get rid of Mid-High they fail because we literally have a screenshot of Alex getting Vaped by the nuke. Try again. Even still I'm more than aware that it's not combat applicable and that if Cole can just hit him then Alex gets merc'd due to the sheer AP Difference putting him down for awhile.

I'm just gonna leave this link here and watch as this argument literally falls apart.
Except, it doesn't? The Blacklight Virus is still just a virus, meaning its still bound to convential biological rules, and most viruses are susceptible to high temperatures. Even if the Blacklight Virus itself has better temperature resistance due to barely surviving a nuke, Cole's body just by its lightinging alone reaches at minimum 50,000 degrees, and this lighting is concistenly shown to cover Cole's body in an Aura. With that amount of heat being generates, the virus wouldn't even be able to get close to Cole, much less get on his body.

Not to mention that the article you linked is something about Matter resistance vs Disease resistance. It has nothing to do with anything we have talked about here. Not to mention that the electric Aura isn't Cole's only counter to Alex's gas attack and its not really in character for Alex to use the Blacklight gas as his primary combat option.

Except, it doesn't? The Blacklight Virus is still just a virus, meaning its still bound to convential biological rules, and most viruses are susceptible to high temperatures.
No lol, its bound to whatever rules, feats and statement the verse provides.

If we went with this logic a shit ton of verses wouldn't make it past whatever tier guns are.

You can't semi use both Coles. We have different profiles for that. You either go with Good Cole or Evil Cole
I'm not using both Coles, im just simply allowing Good OR Evil Cole to be used for this matchup.

That being said, it seems everybody is pissed about it, so I'll just stick with Good Cole instead.

Completely unrelated note, but my made up intro scene kind of matches the one for the DB teaser, so Im quite proud about it.

No lol, its bound to whatever rules, feats and statement the verse provides.

If we went with this logic a shit ton of verses wouldn't make it past whatever tier guns are.
Fair enough, but in this case there's nothing to suggest that the virus can't be destroyed with heat. Even at its best, Alex (and by extension the blacklight virus) barely survived a nuke while far away from its epicenter, while Cole's Lightning naturally generates temperatures comparable to the epicentre of a nuke, which is about 100 million degrees Celcius. Considering Cole geneates electricity around him in an Aura, Alex releasing the virus gas on Cole would be the equivalent of the air around a Bunsen Burner; the heat sterilizes the air and kills all bacteria/viruses in a radius around it.

Of course, even if you don't consider Cole's lightning to reach that temperature, cause I know some people don't, at minimum Cole's lighting is 27760 degree's Celcius (or 50,000 degrees Farenheit), which is beyond the temperatures that the Blacklight Virus can withstand. For reference, the best calculable head resist feat for Alex would be his ability to withstand thermobaric explosions from Blackwatch's rocket launchers, which can reach just over 2000 degree's Celcius.

There's other details that I would like to include and am more than happy to answer, but the point is that Alex can't simply infect Cole by releasing the Virus as a gas, given the latters electricity and heat generation. Alex could still infect him by touch however.

Fair enough, but in this case there's nothing to suggest that the virus can't be destroyed with heat. Even at its best, Alex (and by extension the blacklight virus) barely survived a nuke while far away from its epicenter, while Cole's Lightning naturally generates temperatures comparable to the epicentre of a nuke, which is about 100 million degrees Celcius. Considering Cole geneates electricity around him in an Aura, Alex releasing the virus gas on Cole would be the equivalent of the air around a Bunsen Burner; the heat sterilizes the air and kills all bacteria/viruses in a radius around it.

Of course, even if you don't consider Cole's lightning to reach that temperature, cause I know some people don't, at minimum Cole's lighting is 27760 degree's Celcius (or 50,000 degrees Farenheit), which is beyond the temperatures that the Blacklight Virus can withstand. For reference, the best calculable head resist feat for Alex would be his ability to withstand thermobaric explosions from Blackwatch's rocket launchers, which can reach just over 2000 degree's Celcius.

There's other details that I would like to include and am more than happy to answer, but the point is that Alex can't simply infect Cole by releasing the Virus as a gas, given the latters electricity and heat generation. Alex could still infect him by touch however.
Even if I were to grandstand this dumb argument since Blacklight inherently breaks physics and biology in and of itself so you can't claim this even if you wanted to, the way you set this thread up inherently favors Cole in an extremely biased manner since Alex has no chance in hell of getting that close to a guy who can range spam him with One-Shot attacks from literal kilometers away that have massive AoE, especially since Peak Good Cole has Planetary AoE going by his Profile.

Cough

Cole is NOT getting past Mercer's Mid-High regeneration. And if Cole's electricity wasn't able to fry Sasha's tar, which is not even noted for having any heat resistance, then the Blacklight Virus (which is completely superior to Sasha's tar in every way that matters, including infecting stuff at the Molecular level) just infects Cole.

And he just dies to the Blacklight Virus. Plain and simple.
Not familiar with Infamous, though wouldn't all Alex would need to do is touch Cole and he instantly would win?

Not familiar with Infamous, though wouldn't all Alex would need to do is touch Cole and he instantly would win?
Yes. But easier said than done. There's no way that Alex is getting close.

Yes.

Hard to do when your opponent can attack from any angle and has a massive range versatility. And has a reaction booster.

Best to hope for is a tie.

Unless we use Heller's moon/cookie scaling /jk

Even if I were to grandstand this dumb argument since Blacklight inherently breaks physics and biology in and of itself so you can't claim this even if you wanted to,
Nothing of what you said debunks my arguement in any way. Sure, the Blacklight virus has capabilites that wouldn't be possible in the real world, but the traits are biological, not physics breaking like you claim. For all of the Blacklights virus capabilities, its still just a virus and unless stated otherwise, should follow basic principles inherent to all virus's, even if the virus is more resistant to those principles (in this case, sheer ******* heat)
the way you set this thread up inherently favors Cole in an extremely biased manner since Alex has no chance in hell of getting that close to a guy who can range spam him with One-Shot attacks from literal kilometers away that have massive AoE, especially since Peak Good Cole has Planetary AoE going by his Profile.
I made this matchup in celebration of the Alex VS Cole DEATH BATTLE before it was released and I even stated it in the thread opening. I didn't do this just to make a stomp battle, especially since I equalized speed and was even sure that Alex could pull off a win with his more hax abilities. I'm not going to cast my vote to be fair, but I don't think its wrong to debate wincons.

Alright, so I counted 7, but I'll wait just a bit longer for grace until we get 9 or 10 votes. Not like this matchup will be added to profiles, but I'd like to see what more people think.

Alright, so I counted 7, but I'll wait just a bit longer for grace until we get 9 or 10 votes. Not like this matchup will be added to profiles, but I'd like to see what more people think.
No one but 1 voted, and that guy didn’t even give his reason for voting (not even a FRA), so there’s no grace yet.

Also, stomp matches can’t get added to the characters' profiles. It doesn’t matter if it was a stomp in Alex's favour or Cole's favour, because stomp matches in either combatant's favour don’t get added. Though I guess you already knew that since you are aware it likely won’t get added.

Last edited:
I see 0 people voting in this matchup so no grace or anything.
No one but 1 voted, and that guy didn’t even give his reason for voting (not even a FRA), so there’s no grace yet.
Ok fair, in that case I would like to ask for people to start voting if possible, as well as their reasons for winning.
Also, stomp matches can’t get added to the characters' profiles. It doesn’t matter if it was a stomp in Alex's favour or Cole's favour, because stomp matches in either combatant's favour don’t get added. Though I guess you already knew that since you are aware it likely won’t get added.
Yeah, but since Alex vs Cole is such a huge matchup I still want to see it to the end.

I don't know why the OP is so insistent on concluding this matchup when even Death Battle themselves treated this matchup as a crappy-tier matchup, but fine, I'll provide my own points for this matchup:

With speed being equalised, Mercer likely haxstomps. One could argue that Cole stomps instead, but that also proves this matchup wasn't fair in the first place, since either could stomp.

Of course, the one major thing that hasn’t been brought up yet is the Blacklight Virus, it has a lot of stuff to cover and is Alex’s most prominent wincon, having hundreds of strains, being capable of driving people mad, and its general potency as a virus is almost unmatched, so how can Cole handle it?

Well for starters, thanks to being able to fend off Sasha’s tar, which is a mind control agent that can drive people mad, the mind and madness aspect of the Blacklight Virus would fail to mess with Cole. Furthermore, considering Alex’s main method of trying to infect Cole would be the gas he can release from his body, the most obvious and blunt answer would be Cole to use Ionic Vortex to… literally blow it away with a tornado-it has mass, it’s a gas, it can be tossed around by high winds such as a tornado to prevent it from getting close to Cole.

But if Cole were to get infected, there’s a shockingly hard counter to the Blacklight virus being able to survive in Cole's body. Most viruses die within the mid-100 degrees Fahrenheit or so, and while Alex did survive the nuclear explosion, the distance means the heat he withstood wasn’t as much as it could’ve been meaning the Blacklight Virus’ heat resistance isn’t too potent. Why does this matter? Because Cole's lightning, which is generated passively by his body and can surround him in a storm of electricity, gets up to 50,000 degrees Fahrenheit, far hotter than anything the Blacklight Virus would have survived, meaning it’s a genuine possibility that Cole could literally fry the virus out of his body even if it were to enter him, preventing it from infecting him at all.

Cole may have fended off Sasha's tar (with great effort, and even then he was shown to suffer symptoms from it), but his struggle with Sasha's tar proved one thing - Cole's electricity was not able to fry Sasha's tar or the disease it inflicted him with away from him.

And nowhere was it explicitly stated that Sasha's tar has resistance to heat by itself - Cole could've just fried the disease from Sasha's tar the moment it entered his body, but he was unable to... I don't know about you, but that heavily implies one thing: Cole might be able to from electricity from his body, and he could absorb electricity into himself, but his electricity does not appear to be outputted from every cell in his body or otherwise.

That point about Cole's lightning being generated from his body would need explicit statements/scans to prove that every single one of Cole's cells generate electricity - and Cole being susceptible to Sasha's tar (and its disease) previously is pretty much an anti-feat that doesn't really help support Cole's electricity coming out from every single one of his cells. So unless Cole generates lightning-level electricity from every single cell/molecule from his body, the Blacklight Virus would only need access to one of Cole's cells before it rapidly self-reproduces and overtakes Cole's body (with Cole being unable to fry it out of his body like how he was unable to with Sasha's tar) - it doesn't matter if some of the gasses didn't go through, Mercer would only need a sliver of such gasses to get exposed to Cole for the Blacklight virions to infect Cole.

Though even if Cole decides to fry the Blacklight Virus, and Mercer, they would just regenerate anyways, due to Mid-High Regeneration - and via scaling to the Supreme Hunter's feat, Mercer would just regenerate under 24 hours (since the Supreme Hunter could even reform a hand within seconds while being a puddle without absorbing anything or having any excess biomass to boost his regeneration speed), so Cole would not be able to incapacitate him just by nuking him with higher AP alone.

For Cole using Ionic Vortex, there would need to be explicit scans to prove that Cole has used Ionic Vortex against gasses in-character. I have yet to see a scan provided where Cole uses Ionic Vortex to drain up gasses - and even then, Cole would need to do it forever, which he can't because he would need infinite stamina (and Karmic Overload is temporary), so Cole would run out of energy and then Mercer could use that opportunity to gas Cole again before Cole could get the chance to absorb electricity from his environment... Though if this is RFI-empowered Cole (which I don't think the OP has specified for Good Cole. I don't know why RFI-empowered Cole should be used since I don't think even Death Battle decided to use RFI-empowered Cole, but whatever), stamina would not be much of an issue for Cole, but he would need explicit scans to show that he uses Ionic Vortex to suck up gasses.

So, showcase explicit scans where Cole's electricity is able to be generated from every single one of Cole's own cells/molecules, or else that isn't enough to protect Cole from the Blacklight Virus given that Cole's electricity also didn't protect him from Sasha's tar (with inferior feats to the Blacklight Virus).

"its not really in character for Alex to use the Blacklight gas as his primary combat option."

Yes it is.

Mercer uses gasses even against ordinary humans at Penn Station, and he used gasses with the infected Whitelight against ordinary civilians to infect them.

Mercer hates humans as of, and the entire point of Prototype 2 was that Mercer wanted to infect all of humanity - so Mercer not using gasses against non-infected, like Cole, does not make sense when that's literally the only instance we see how Mercer dealt with non-infected humans that isn't James Heller (who is protected by plot armour). He didn't use gasses against Blacklight James Heller or any other Infected because they were already infected with the Blacklight Virus, so no point in trying to infect what's already infected after all. XD

Also, electricity won't really paralyze Mercer if he decided to get his Shield ability out, as his Shield ability was able to prevent electricity from affecting him like in Robert Cross' fight, so hardened biomass (such as Mercer's Shield or even his Armour form) would be able to prevent Mercer from being paralyzed. It admittedly won't help Mercer against the huge AP gap between him and Cole, but paralysis from Electricity actually isn't much of an issue if Mercer decides to harden his biomass.

-

Though if others decided to argue that it is a stomp for Cole... Then this matchup should never be added in the first place, shouldn't it?

If a matchup is a stomp, then votes are all invalidated anyways, so votes don't matter if a match is a stomp on VSBW. ^_^;

Last edited:
Back