• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

I'm a Fraud and Should be Retired IMMEDIATELY (Minor-ish Naruto Revision)

UchihaSlayer96

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Sup everyone! Hope ya'll are doing great.

This one will be short and sweet (I hope).

While working on the Speed revisions and the Chakra blog, I thought what the hell? Might as well fix a mistake I made a while back that has been bothering me for some time now.

The Error in Question:
So, the Clone Technique is currently indexed as follows:
Minor Illusion Creation and Duplication (With the Clone Technique[11], Shinobi can create illusionary duplicates of themselves that have no physical substance)
This is just wrong. Our Duplication page makes it pretty clear that to get this ability you need to actually duplicate something, as in you have to produce an actual identical copy of something. The original object has to be replicated or multiplied.

Now, this is NOT what the Clone Technique does. This technique very explicitly does NOT produce real clones or legitimately duplicates the original. It merely creates an illusion that has no physical form nor substance. It's nothing more than an illusion or an afterimage.

The Shadow Clone technique (and its variants, such as the Raiton, Suiton, Doton, etc clones) on the other hands were actually noted to be true, flesh and blood clones that are identical to the original.

This distinction has been noted in the series on a number of occasions, and with an abundance of clarity. Here's the rundown of said instances:
So what is it, actually?

Well, I've thought about this a lot. We already know it's definitely NOT Duplication.
The first thing that popped in my head was Afterimage Creation, but after much deliberation, I came to the conclusion that it's not very accurate. Why? Well....
An afterimage is an artistic effect where a character appears to leave faint silhouettes behind them, which are often transparent, like a ghost. These are usually used to emphasize fast movement, and are often used in combat to mislead opponents as to the actual location of the user. It naturally occurs when a character is moving too quickly for the eye to track accurately, causing the brain to incorrectly process these images. At best, the only speed such feats can qualify for in themselves is in the Subsonic range - some people may claim that afterimages mean a character is moving faster than light, but that is both faulty reasoning and an outlier for many characters regardless.
Our page for Afterimage Creation makes it very clear that the way we treat this ability is as a byproduct of very fast movement. The Naruto equivalent would be, say Rock Lee or the Raikage. It's a byproduct of extreme speed. As a result, this doesn't really fit the Clone Technique, and it does not qualify for Afterimage Creation under our standards.

I believe that under our standards, Illusion Creation fits this ability the most.
Now, yes, this technique is a Ninjutsu, not a Genjutsu. However, that doesn't change the fact that it's still the ability that fits how the technique actually works the most. Illusion Creation is described as follows:
The ability to create false images to confuse and manipulate opponents. A very versatile ability, illusions can vary greatly in strength and effects, ranging from small and virtually harmless, nothing more than distractions, to incredibly complex. The most powerful illusions can distort a victim's sense of time and mentally destroy them, potentially even causing them real pain or killing them outright. While some illusions can be simple and easy to escape once you realize that they are illusions, others are incredibly lifelike, potentially being depicted with perfect accuracy. This ability is often related to Perception Manipulation.
The highlighted parts fit the Clone Technique perfectly. They are just illusory clones, with no real substance, that achieve nothing beyond distracting or bluffing the opponents. Combine that with the series going out of its way on many occasions to differentiate between this technique and actual cloning techniques, and I feel like it's a pretty clear cut conclusion.

Conclusions:

So here's what I propose we do.

All of the profiles that have this, which is practically all of them:
Minor Illusion Creation and Duplication (With the Clone Technique[11], Shinobi can create illusionary duplicates of themselves that have no physical substance)
Get changed to this:

But that's not all. Some of the profiles have the justification(s) for their actual cloning technique(s) merged with the Clone Technique justification. For example.....
Minor Illusion Creation and Duplication (With the Clone Technique[21], Shinobi can create illusionary duplicates of themselves that have no physical substance. He can also create Shadow[22] and Crow[18] Clones, which are identical clones that can aid him in combat, use his techniques, telepathically relay information back to him when they're destroyed, and act as distractions, among other things)

I propose that they be separated moving forward, with the description/justification for Shadow Clones being something like this:

We don't have to add this to everyone just yet, since the profiles are in the process of being revised atm. The only ones that should definitely get this change immediately are the profiles that have already been overhauled, such as Itachi, Shino, Kisame, and Jiraiya. So, basically, ya'll should keep this in mind if you're doing a profile overhaul at any point in the future.

The main thing that needs to be done here for damn near everyone is adjusting the Clone Technique. True Clone Techniques can be adjusted gradually as we revise the individual profiles.

Here's a sandbox with the source code for these changes, in case anyone wants to just copy paste this stuff for their revisions.

And that's about it, really. Let's discuss!

Votes:
Agree: DarkDragonMedeus, Damage3245, LordGriffin1000, Kachon123, KaydeeX, Nierre, Metalballrun, Arcker123, Dark_Soul20189, Shiraito983, Spectra_Schiffer, LordTracer
Disagree:
Neutral:

Last edited:
Well, it's probably not that either because it's not really a product of fast movement either. I think Illusions fit better.
Well true.

Maybe that's why Naruto struggled so much to learn regular clone jutsu, was because it's supposed to be a genjutsu rather than a ninjutsu. Which Naruto failed at the former but excelled in the latter to master Shadow Clone Jutsu.

Bump.

I think it's time to apply this if I'm not mistaken, it's been unanimously accepted. @Damage3245 you can apply the changes to everyone simultaneously, right? Or is that not a thing lol?

Back