• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

I attempt to tear the wiki asunder except i'm just stealing some guys meme and this has spiralled radically out of control please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Ovens

That's why i said it was Compossible, although the totality of the foundation may be interpreted as fluent, but a canon can't truly be existing without the other canon if it was compossible.

Wait, so is 682 the son of the Scarlet King, Death's horse, or both?

Azathoth the Abyssal Idiot said:
Now for the more important thing I wanted to bring up; canon. Because this is the perfect time to do it.

I'm going to be blunt about it. Our current standards for Foundation canon are completely ******. As in, "we have none". Here's what we wrote on the SCP Foundation verse page.

"Only powerscale when the SCP or object in question is explicitly referenced by other SCPs or tales. Don't forget to treat certain feats as outliers. The rating of the SCP or tale should hint to that.

Also, please take into account that due to the fact that the SCP Foundation has no solid canon, but a "fluid" canon which is subject to different interpretations and headcanons by various members, and Tales are essentially a sort of psuedo-fanfiction, it is best if a Tale was written by the original author of the SCP/is considered an integral part of the "mythos" related to the SCP before you use it to index powers. SCPs are bound by a similar restriction; references to SCPs in other SCPs should be treated the same way as Tales in the more notable cases. For example, according to one SCP the entire Foundation is just the imagination of a girl with psychological problems, whereas most other pages on the site treat it as a real entity.
"

You see the above? That's bullshit. Those guidelines haven't been followed for as long as I can remember, and that's kind of a big problem. You know how this relates? Because, as I figured I'd bring up now, we are now attempting to powerscale a major chunk of the entire verse to something in a collaboration in a section written by a user who has done nothing except stuff in the sandbox for the past year, and whose last contribution to an actual tale was straight up reverted. Not knocking the guy, but this is pretty important.

We put up these guidelines specifically to stop stuff along the lines of "some random guy writes some random thing in the lowest form of 'canon' and we rescale everything". Yet we've never really followed through on this.

That's not all. We seem to treat everything written wherever for any character as equally canon, no matter who wrote it or what it contradicts. 682 is the patron saint of this crap, as he has like five different origin stories that we scramble to unify, even though it's all stuff written in different stories by different authors with drastically different intent.

This is the current official stance on "canon" that the site has. Here is the accompanying link.

"The idea that there is no canon is a bit silly at times. It's not that we don't have any. It's that we have a multitude which touch, cross, and dip into each other. It's up to you, as the reader, to decide what you believe and what you embrace as the heart of the universe."

Notice that the Foundation does not have "a" canon. It has many separate groups of canon that sometimes crossover with others, when the authors have something in mind.

This is drastically different from what we have set up, right now. That's part of the problem.
This thread is turning very long. Perhaps somebody should start a staff only discussion by copying the above post?

Son of the scarlet King, Horseman of Death is an alternate timeline just like how in the "Prime timeline", 999 is the child of 231-7, bu in the timeline where 682 is the horse of Death, she never gives birth and becomes the horseman of conquest.

Though this might be beside the point, with the kind of tech and stuff the foundation has (mainly SCP-2000 and 2003), all of the individual canons could have happend at some point in time, but were basically nullified by going back/forward in time and doing stuff differently.

Hell, look at the stuff the Black Queen interacts with on a regular basis, theres several articles where she studies the same SCPs from different timelines

If infinite dimensions do exist canonically, even if the highest end users don't qualify, I still think that Swann could be High 1-B since it by proxy would have been the one to write that in the first place.

THey all qualify, they're gonna get 1-B, possibly High 1-B except for top-top tiers and God tiers. (That is, HEG, Almighty, 3812, and Swann, they will be solid High 1-B)

SITHISIT said:
THey all qualify, they're gonna get 1-B, possibly High 1-B except for top-top tiers and God tiers. (That is, HEG, Almighty, 3812, and Swann, they will be solid High 1-B)
When? Didn't Azathoth disprove this?

we gave evidence against that.

And note that Azzy is the same person who believed that The Almighty and Swann were the same thing.

@Azathoth

Perhaps it would be best if you start a new staff thread.

I don't believe such a thing is necessary. This is also another thread that has been almost concluded, and we are majorly leaning on believing Azathoth's arguments.

I support Ant's proposition. As stated in the title, this thread has gotten waaay too out of control.

Well, it's just that it doesn't seem to be going anywhere either way. There's been strong for and against arguments.

I referred to Azathoth's new topic, from the post that I quoted earlier.

But yeah, actually determining what we're going to do with canon is more important (as in, "should we split multiple 682s under different tabs or different pages?", "making notes of different canon and narratives", etc.).

lmao

"There's no evidence to prove that this "All-Mighty" is not just Swann himself, so we should downgrade Swann a dimension, as the All-Mighty and sWaNN aRE suRELY thE sAmeE thING"

SITHISIT said:
"There's no evidence to prove that this "All-Mighty" is not just Swann himself
It amuses me that you act like this isn't true for a vague "God character" we know nothing about who different writers don't exactly have to have to same interpretation of, who also has shown multiple times to not be a single mind/be composed of many avatars.

Of course, the more obvious answer now would be "The problem was treating this like it was all within a single canon", the whole time.

@Azzy Perhaps it would be best to discuss this on my wall so we can get stuff sorted out before making the thread?

@Weekly

Really the most important thing probably also involves what takes place in a separate timeline and what takes place in an entirely separate canon. We should definitely discuss stuff like that.

Yeah i can take care of that, ive actually been meaning to make a list of something like this for quite some time, guess now is that time :p

That seems like a good idea. Certain stuff is obvious (multiversal beings who affect all of reality being treated differently obviously not being part of "timelines" and instead having differing portrayals in multiple versions of canon), but other stuff...not so much.

It'll take a lot of work so this revision is likely going to be a WIP for quite some time. Off the top of my head i can think of one blatant case of different incarnations in different timelines: SCP-231. In...we'll call it the "Prime Timeline", she is the mother of SCP-999, but in the REDD timeline (The timeline where Mister REDD, the aspect of the Scarlet King, collected all the Misters) she gave birth to an actial Leviathan before Dr. Wondertainment sealed it away. And then in the Competitive Eschatology timeline (which is actually 100% canon, its the timeline that sent the message at the end of 001 Clef's article) she never gives birth at all and instead is given power by 343 to become the Horseman of Conquest only to disobey him and instead explore the universe.

We should probably continue this on my wall or make another thread about it if you'd like to continue

I honestly can't even tell, i think most people other than azzy thought the upgrade was perfectly justified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back