• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Gotta Revise 'Em All, Part 2: Getting to work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Typhlosion:

Ruby: It can hide behind a shimmering heat haze that it creates using its intense flames. TYPHLOSION create blazing explosive blasts that burn everything to cinders.

Feraligatr:

Diamond: It usually moves slowly, but it goes at blinding speed when it attacks and bites prey.

Hoothoot:

Pearl: It switches its standing foot so quickly, it can’t be seen. It cries at the same time every day.

Cleffa:

Gold: Because of its unusual, starlike silhouette, people believe that it came here on a meteor.

Crystal: If the impact site of a meteorite is found, this POKéMON is certain to be within the immediate area.

Ampharos:

Ultra sun: The light from its tail can be seen from space. This is why you can always tell exactly where it is, which is why it usually keeps the light off.

Yanma:

Legends: Arceus: Its frail wings are so thin that one can see clear through them. However, during flight these wings exhibit the power to churn air with force enough to lanch a house skyward.

Steelix:

Diamond: Tempered underground under high pressure and heat, its body is harder than any metal.

Scizor:

Sword: Bulky pincers account for one third of Scizor’s body weight. A single swing of one of these pincers will crush a boulder completely.

Heracross:

Crystal: With its Herculean powers, it can easily throw around an object that is 100 times its own weight.

Ruby: HERACROSS charges in a straight line at its foe, slips beneath the foe’s grasp, and then scoops up and hurls the opponent with its mighty horn. This POKéMON even has enough power to topple a massive tree.

Ultra sun: It’s proud of its thick horn. In Alola, its biggest rival is Vikavolt, which it’s always fighting with.

Magcargo:

Sapphire: MAGCARGO’s body temperature is approximately 18,000 degrees F. Water is vaporized on contact. If this POKéMON is caught in the rain, the raindrops instantly turn into steam, cloaking the area in a thick fog

Skarmory:

Ruby: SKARMORY is entirely encased in hard, protective armor. This POKéMON flies at close to 190 mph. It slashes foes with its wings that possess swordlike cutting edges.

Kingdra:

Gold: It is said that it usually hides in underwater caves. It can create whirlpools by yawning.

Silver: It sleeps deep on the ocean floor to build its energy. It is said to cause tornadoes as it wakes.

Ruby: KINGDRA lives at extreme ocean depths that are otherwise uninhabited. It has long been believed that the yawning of this POKéMON creates spiraling ocean currents.

Emerald: It sleeps quietly, deep on the seafloor. When it comes up to the surface, it creates a huge whirlpool that can swallow even ships.

Diamond: It lives in caves on the seafloor and creates giant whirlpools every time it moves.

Sword: With the arrival of a storm at sea, this Pokémon will show itself on the surface. When a Kingdra and a Dragonite meet, a fierce battle ensues.

Donphan:

Gold: It has sharp, hard tusks and a rugged hide. Its TACKLE is strong enough to knock down a house.

Saphrite: If Donphan were to tackle with its hard body, even a house could be destroyed. Using its massive strength, the Pokémon helps clear rock and mud slides that block mountain trails.

Hitmontop:

Silver: It launches kicks while spinning. If it spins at high speed, it may bore its way into the ground.

Diamond: It fights while spinning like a top. The centrifugal force boosts its destructive power by ten.

Magby:

Crystal: It naturally spits an 1100-degree flame. It is said when many appear, it heralds a volcanic eruption.

Raikou:

Ruby: RAIKOU embodies the speed of lightning. The roars of this POKéMON send shock waves shuddering through the air and shake the ground as if lightning bolts had come crashing down.

Entei:

Gold: Volcanoes erupt when it barks. Unable to restrain its extreme power, it races headlong around the land.

Crystal: This brawny POKéMON courses around the earth, spouting flames hotter than a volcano’s magma.

Ruby: ENTEI embodies the passion of magma. It is thought to have been born in the eruption of a volcano. It blasts fire that consumes all that it touches.

Diamond: It is said that when it roars, a volcano erupts somewhere around the globe.

Larvitar:

Gold: It feeds on soil. After it has eaten a large mountain, it will fall asleep so it can grow.

Ultra moon: Raised on nutrients it finds in the dirt, it eats roughly a mountain’s worth of dirt before it becomes a pupa.

Pupitar:

Gold: Its shell is as hard as sheet rock, and it is also very strong. Its thrashing can topple a mountain.

Ruby: Pupitar creates a gas inside its body that it compresses and forcefully ejects to propel itself like a jet. The body is very durable—it avoids damage even if it hits solid steel.

Diamond: Its body is as hard as bedrock. By venting pressurized gas, it can launch itself like a rocket.

Tyranitar:

Gold: Its body can’t be harmed by any sort of attack, so it is very eager to make challenges against enemies.

Silver: Extremely strong, it can change the landscape. It has an insolent nature that makes it not care about others.

Crystal: In just one of its mighty hands, it has the power to make the ground shake and mountains crumble.

Emerald: TYRANITAR is so overwhelmingly powerful, it can bring down a whole mountain to make its nest. This POKéMON wanders about in mountains seeking new opponents to fight.

Diamond: If it rampages, it knocks down mountains and buries rivers. Maps must be redrawn afterward.

Black 2: The quakes caused when it walks make even great mountains crumble and change the surrounding terrain.

Ultra moon: This Pokémon is a mobile disaster, leaving mountains crumbled and houses destroyed in its wake.

Lugia:

Crystal: It has an incredible ability to calm raging storms. It is said that LUGIA appears when storms start.

Ruby: LUGIA is so powerful even a light fluttering of its wings can blow apart houses. As a result, it chooses to live out of sight deep under the sea.

Diamond: It sleeps in a deep-sea trench. If it flaps its wings, it is said to cause a 40-day storm.

Last edited:
Has it been calced?

There are many things in the Pokedex entries that hasn't been calced. Especially the new games like Sw/Sh and PLA

Okay, so that you all don't think I'm dead.

I have been working mostly behind the scenes on Pokemon profiles: to be specific, I have been trying to do a few legendary profiles so that I can give an idea of how future profiles should work. Due to real-life issues I find it a bit difficult, but just for the record: I'm not dead.

The idea that we should make a blog detailing differences between anime/manga moves is extremely helpful. I would be willing to help make the blog!

At the moment I am creating Pokemon profiles, and have one as an example. Before I publish that, I wanted to clarify a few things:
  • While I believe pretty much every Pokemon should have an anime profile, manga appearances tend to be much more scattered. I don't think creating separate profiles for every Pokemon is necessary.
  • On another note, I'm also going to try and fuse Pokemon profiles that aren't too different into keys, just for the sake of displaying them. It won't stay this way forever but at least now you know. I actually wouldn't mind using the different mediums as keys but apparently this is against site rules.
With this in mind, here's the mock Mew Profile! This was made with input from other Pokemon Supporters. I also made sure to improve it's P&A already (because it was quite bad beforehand) and are improving it's Techniques. Do note that nothing there is final, so if anything seems stupid, just tell me and I'll try to change it in a hurry.

Okay, so that you all don't think I'm dead.

I have been working mostly behind the scenes on Pokemon profiles: to be specific, I have been trying to do a few legendary profiles so that I can give an idea of how future profiles should work. Due to real-life issues I find it a bit difficult, but just for the record: I'm not dead.

The idea that we should make a blog detailing differences between anime/manga moves is extremely helpful. I would be willing to help make the blog!

At the moment I am creating Pokemon profiles, and have one as an example. Before I publish that, I wanted to clarify a few things:
  • While I believe pretty much every Pokemon should have an anime profile, manga appearances tend to be much more scattered. I don't think creating separate profiles for every Pokemon is necessary.
  • On another note, I'm also going to try and fuse Pokemon profiles that aren't too different into keys, just for the sake of displaying them. It won't stay this way forever but at least now you know. I actually wouldn't mind using the different mediums as keys but apparently this is against site rules.
With this in mind, here's the mock Mew Profile! This was made with input from other Pokemon Supporters. I also made sure to improve it's P&A already (because it was quite bad beforehand) and are improving it's Techniques. Do note that nothing there is final, so if anything seems stupid, just tell me and I'll try to change it in a hurry.
8-B is a massive lowball considering basic pokemon are likly gonna be 7-A

I feel like it should scale to second stage mons and be High 7-A+ (or baseline 6-C if it’s scaling above them, since Dugtrio and Ttar’s calcs are fairly close to baseline), and it should have “Varies with Transform”/“Varies, up to [insert tier] with Transform”. Basically something like this:
High 7-A, Varies with Transform

Last edited:
Starry skies thousands of light-years away are visible in the space distorted by their intense psychic power.

this honestly sounds like some kind of clairvoyance via spatial manip with 4-A range, rather than AP, and that's assuming it even reaches them since it only says that the skies become visible, not close.

so less of a outlier and more of vagueness anyway.

Also i tried putting the japanese ver in deepL to get an idea and i got

With the powerful psycho-power of the energies, the airspace will twist and turn, and in the starburst, the sky will finally open up.

Obviously need someone to actually translate it, but it sounds like it makes the sky clearer by warping space

Starry skies thousands of light-years away are visible in the space distorted by their intense psychic power.

this honestly sounds like some kind of clairvoyance via spatial manip with 4-A range, rather than AP, and that's assuming it even reaches them since it only says that the skies become visible, not close.

With the powerful psycho-power of the energies, the airspace will twist and turn, and in the starburst, the sky will finally open up.

Obviously need someone to actually translate it, but it sounds like it makes the sky clearer by warping space
someone needs to calc Gardevoir's mini black holes feat

Hmm...do we use Pokemon Snap as part of th main game canon?
You're asking for the starry dimension Mew resides in, right?

Although a good question nonetheless. It has various miscellaneous feats. Moltres if I remember correctly straight up emerges from a volcano eruption.

Edit: Wasn't an eruption, but emerged from an egg falling into magma.

Last edited:
You're asking for the starry dimension Mew resides in, right?

Although a good question nonetheless. It has various miscellaneous feats. Moltres if I remember correctly straight up emerges from a volcano eruption.
Thats a thing? I was talking about how there ar multiple instances of pokemon tanking asteroid impacts with no issue lol

I feel like it should scale to second stage mons and be High 7-A+ (or baseline 6-C if it’s scaling above them, since Dugtrio and Ttar’s calcs are fairly close to baseline), and it should have “Varies with Transform”/“Varies, up to [insert tier] with Transform”. Basically something like this:
Well, the reason is that strictly speaking we don't really know anything about Game Mew's profile. Bear in mind that it scales to literally nothing so every rating beyond the baseline granted by rock smash is generous. Mew is also a mythical Pokemon, which can vary dramatically in strength (see Phione, and even amongst legendaries you have Cosmoem) so it scaling above all third-stage Pokemon is weird.

Like why exactly is game Mew stronger than Tyranitar? I aren't opposed to making it stronger but if someone asked "why does Mew have this rating" I would have zero answer because beyond "it feels right" there isn't much supporting that, because we do not assume other legendaries/mythical Pokemon are automatically that strong either. Maybe a "Possibly 7-A" rating.

Varies with transform is fine, idt it needs a maximum tier since it would just be transforming into the opponent either way.

What about new Pokémon snap?

What feats are there and what never powers do the Pokémon get there?

HUH
Well, the reason is that strictly speaking we don't really know anything about Game Mew's profile. Bear in mind that it scales to literally nothing so every rating beyond the baseline granted by rock smash is generous. Mew is also a mythical Pokemon, which can vary dramatically in strength (see Phione, and even amongst legendaries you have Cosmoem) so it scaling above all third-stage Pokemon is weird.

Like why exactly is game Mew stronger than Tyranitar? I aren't opposed to making it stronger but if someone asked "why does Mew have this rating" I would have zero answer because beyond "it feels right" there isn't much supporting that, because we do not assume other legendaries/mythical Pokemon are automatically that strong either. Maybe a "Possibly 7-A" rating.

Varies with transform is fine, idt it needs a maximum tier since it would just be transforming into the opponent either way.
THAT'S THE WORST TAKE

Jest ovo

Edit: My exact position on legendary scaling, btw, so agree 100%. Although, in-game, Mew is encountered after you've defeated the Elite Four in Emerald, via an event though. Nevertheless, would that support possibly scaling above end-game Emerald trainers?

Also, before you guys go on, someone requested a list of all move differences, and fortunately I am working on one here. I have also edited the front page to include this.

@LephyrTheRevanchist @Spinoirr @WeeklyBattles @LordTracer @Armorchompy this should be of great interest to you guys and will aid in revamping/making future profiles quite a bit! I just need to..finish it, which is taking a while as I'm going through at least hundreds of moves?

You can't really do that without warping space for thousands of light years

Also, before you guys go on, someone requested a list of all move differences, and fortunately I am working on one here. I have also edited the front page to include this.

@LephyrTheRevanchist @Spinoirr @WeeklyBattles @LordTracer @Armorchompy this should be of great interest to you guys and will aid in revamping/making future profiles quite a bit! I just need to..finish it, which is taking a while as I'm going through at least hundreds of moves?
That will also help with scaling certain moves, indeed. So pretty nice having it.

Edit: My exact position on legendary scaling, btw, so agree 100%. Although, in-game, Mew is encountered after you've defeated the Elite Four in Emerald, via an event though. Nevertheless, would that support possibly scaling above end-game Emerald trainers?
Correction: You could've received the Old Sea Map at any point, but must have reached Lilycove Harbor to trigger the event. So it would possibly scale to 6th gym gen 3 protags. That may support a Possibly High 7-A/6-C.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but most Pokémon that don’t evolve are considered to be on the level of second stages, right? For example, Heracross and Pinsir scale to Vikavolt, a second stage evolution. Would Mew, as another Pokémon that doesn’t evolve, not be considered on the same level as them? Plus there’s what Lephyr mentioned of it being a late game encounter.

The maximum tier with Transform would probably be whatever the Creation Trio end up at.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but most Pokémon that don’t evolve are considered to be on the level of second stages, right? For example, Heracross and Pinsir scale to Vikavolt, a second stage evolution. Would Mew, as another Pokémon that doesn’t evolve, not be considered on the same level as them? Plus there’s what Lephyr mentioned of it being a late game encounter.
Ye

Why? Feels kinda arbitrary

The maximum tier with Transform would probably be whatever the Creation Trio end up at.
Ideally, we shouldn't do that. Scaling all second-stage pokemon to every other second-stage pokemon has never made sense because there's no material in the series supporting the idea that all of these mons have the same amount of strength or AP across the board-not even close. The same goes for first-stage or starter-stage Pokemon. At the very least in the Pokemon standards blog, I outlined that we should do away with that.

Ideally, we shouldn't do that. Scaling all second-stage pokemon to every other second-stage pokemon has never made sense because there's no material in the series supporting the idea that all of these mons have the same amount of strength or AP across the board-not even close. The same goes for first-stage or starter-stage Pokemon. At the very least in the Pokemon standards blog, I outlined that we should do away with that.
Just scale moves and pokemon that canonically fight each other

Hold on, then why are you doing that with Mew scaling to first stage Pokémon-

I was suggesting we could split the work and take on different types instead of leaving it all to one guy

Also please don't make normal Pokemon above tier 6 Rayquaza needs to go mega just to stop a planet busting meteor it wouldn't make any sense if a pidgeot could stroll up to it and vaporize it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back