• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Gotta Revise 'Em All, Part 2 (Clover Edition): Mainline Game Scaling

I think it's kinda disingenuous to say Elio/Selene was "helpless" against the Spearow - they were defending Cosmog, not trying to attack the Spearow, and they were holding up quite well. In fact, Cosmog let out an explosion that caused the Spearow to flee (at least I think it caused them to), and Elio/Selene tanked it at point-blank range

You suggest we don't have evidence humans should be durable enough to survive Pokémon but the fact a flock of birds that could individually vaporize an irl human are treated as a problem about as seriously as normal animals in our world.
i never said no human scales, i was talking about how not all human scales, in legends Arceus they are considered a serious problem, sides the modern times have common pokemon trainers, why do you think most games do not allow the player to explore unless he has a pokemon with him?

I think it's kinda disingenuous to say Elio/Selene was "helpless" against the Spearow - they were defending Cosmog, not trying to attack the Spearow, and they were holding up quite well. In fact, Cosmog let out an explosion that caused the Spearow to flee (at least I think it caused them to), and Elio/Selene tanked it at point-blank range
helpless as in, they can't just brute force their way out to flee

helpless as in, they can't just brute force their way out to flee
That's a pretty ridiculous way to look at it considering... They were still taking those hits pretty damn well, once again including a Cosmog explosion at point-blank

It doesn’t really matter how other humans treat them at the beginning of the game, of course they’re gonna assume a seemingly normal kid is normal.
they never stop treating them that way, never

I’m talking about how high they scale and how quickly they increase in power compared to the rest of the verse. Rei/Akari go from Tier 7 to Tier 6 to Tier 2 to Tier 1 in a pretty short amount of time with no real training, whereas hard working fighters like Bea or the Black Black that tanks a Hyper Beam are shown to cap at Tier 6.
so all examples of humans scaling to pokemon is cases where they are hard working trainers who train themselves? yeah, as i have said earlier, that's the point, and as you said, Akari/Rei have feats that show that they wouldn't scale to other humans at all, and the likes of Bea obviously also wouldn't, i will ask again, do we have a consistent display that shows that Humans scale to Pokemon as you are saying it has? if it is just small moments with only short few chars.......then it wouldn't be what i call consistent

This alone proves that Rei/Akari are unique in the sense that they increase in strength very quickly, regardless of any character’s biased first impression of them is.
so using them as examples as you were is not accurate as they are "special"

Elio/Selene have nothing that suggests they are superior to any regular human, as their one feat isn’t treated as anything impressive from an in-verse scaling standpoint. Lillie doesn’t even acknowledge the Spearow stuff outside of “thanking for helping out”.
Lillie was literally terified without having anything to do against them, by your logic she should be able to do that without them at all

In fact both Lillie and the Galaxy Team behaving as if their respective protagonists are “normal” is a point in favour to me, since that means it’s considered normal for a child with (at least to both their and our knowledge) no reason to be strong to survive a physical confrontation with early route Pokémon.
yet the entire point of the story is that Pokemon are extremely dangerous for humans? as shown with Bea, humans eventually being able to somewhat compete with pokemon is possible, so some humans being able to do that is not out of the park, do you remember how in nearly every game people do not even allow you to get in tall grass because they are afraid of what might happen if a wild pokemon attacks you? weird if you can supposedly tank their attacks with no problem like the examples you gave do

Ummm… I’m only talking about the base average level of humans. I’m not trying to compare Mike Tyson to a 10 year old, I’m trying to compare a 10 year old to a 10 year old. I’m not sure if one or both of us have gotten confused here.
yet one of your examples is a child who tanked attacks from the literal god inverse?.....i don't think i follow

I mean it’s not entirely baseless, we know they’re regular wild Pokémon level at the start but then become Creation level at the end from just exploring. If Rei/Akari had any noticeable amount of training prior to the game, then shouldn’t they be way stronger considering how quickly they grow during the game?
that is assuming that the level they are already is not considered "strong", btw you can also find third stage mons in the first area of legends arceus, so Akari/Rei would scale from 6-C fromt he begining......so yeah, if you want to make all humans the same level as third level mons(since humans can harm eachother) then i guess you could try that, doesn't make much sense to me seem as leser levels would still be a threat

That's a pretty ridiculous way to look at it considering... They were still taking those hits pretty damn well, once again including a Cosmog explosion at point-blank
humans are shown to be able to harm other humans in the series......if he scales to them in Dura, they would in AP, and as such they should be able to fight back

my point is not that Elio/Selene doesn't scale in dura, it is that they don't scale to absolutely all humans and that they don't scale to their own dura

i never said no human scales, i was talking about how not all human scales, in legends Arceus they are considered a serious problem, sides the modern times have common pokemon trainers, why do you think most games do not allow the player to explore unless he has a pokemon with him?
I mean bears, wolves, and boars were considered dangerous in our world. I would argue it is portrayed more similarly to the danger of a wild animals I mean they're stronger than humans but it's not as if people run away in terror if someone sends a Yanma out of their pokeball. Besides bewear's pokedex entry and maybe others I forgot most pokedex entries that mention pokemon killing people don't imply they use of brute force and bewear's backbreaking is likely reliant on pressure which technically different from the norm. It's not outright stated Pokémon aren't able to easily kill humans that is still probably the case for several strong species of Pokémon, but a level 5 ratatta is seemingly more a nuisance than anything.

I think it is possible we should consider the average level difference of Pokémon given I doubt that people are using the strongest members of a species as the benchmark for their tests and more pokemon are considered strong for breaking bolders than mountains

so all examples of humans scaling to pokemon is cases where they are hard working trainers who train themselves? yeah, as i have said earlier, that's the point, and as you said, Akari/Rei have feats that show that they wouldn't scale to other humans at all, and the likes of Bea obviously also wouldn't, i will ask again, do we have a consistent display that shows that Humans scale to Pokemon as you are saying it has? if it is just small moments with only short few chars.......then it wouldn't be what i call consistent
There is no reason to assume that Elio/Selene, a normal kid with zero evidence of training or having superhuman genetics or anything like that, is millions of times stronger than a normal human in the verse. Bea, Black Belts and the like have gone through extensive explicit training and Rei/Akari have some ridiculous Accelerated Development, Elio/Selene on the other hand have no given reason to be more durable than average. Not to mention said fighters have consistently fully-evolved scaling while the normal 11 year old only has early route bird scaling.

Lillie was literally terified without having anything to do against them, by your logic she should be able to do that without them at all
???? Are you saying that an 11 year old girl with an extremely troubled life watching her companion get bullied by wild birds on a creaking bridge shouldn’t be scared? Hell a lot of people become terrified from much less (cough cough spiders).

yet the entire point of the story is that Pokemon are extremely dangerous for humans? as shown with Bea, humans eventually being able to somewhat compete with pokemon is possible, so some humans being able to do that is not out of the park, do you remember how in nearly every game people do not even allow you to get in tall grass because they are afraid of what might happen if a wild pokemon attacks you? weird if you can supposedly tank their attacks with no problem like the examples you gave do
Again, there’s a huge difference between “this wild animal could cause heavy damage if it roughs you up enough” and “this wild animal would literally turn you into bloody paste if it so much as rams into you”. Why are you assuming the latter when everyone’s worries could just as easily be the former, especially when you compare things to the real world?

yet one of your examples is a child who tanked attacks from the literal god inverse?.....i don't think i follow
I’m trying to say that even with their crazy potential and potentially above average strength at the start, they’re still Low 7-B just like the completely normal human that is the Alola protag. Elio/Selene have zero reason to be “superhuman” and beginning of game Rei/Akari could go either way, yet both of then are Low 7-B at the start. This shows that both a seemingly completely normal human and a maybe above average human are both Low 7-B, meaning either both are above average or neither of them are. Since Elio/Selene have zero reason to be and Rei/Akari have no real evidence in favour of either side (assuming I’m not wrong about the entry trial thing in the next point), on top of nobody treating either of their level of durability as abnormal, the more logical assumption is that Low 7-B is a normal level of durability for a human. This is especially so when compared to the real world, as the early route Pokémon like Spearow and Starly are treated much like their real-life counterparts when it comes to the harm they can inflict on humans.

that is assuming that the level they are already is not considered "strong", btw you can also find third stage mons in the first area of legends arceus, so Akari/Rei would scale from 6-C fromt he begining......so yeah, if you want to make all humans the same level as third level mons(since humans can harm eachother) then i guess you could try that, doesn't make much sense to me seem as leser levels would still be a threat
From what I can remember you can only encounter third stage mons after the entry trial, where you’re limited to the starting area with only early route Pokémon.

It would be pretty embarrassing on my end if I’m wrong, but even if I was it hopefully wouldn’t matter since as we’ve established Rei/Akari’s crazy potential could mean they are possibly above average at the start as well. My main argument is just that Elio/Selene are normal as there’s zero reason or evidence to believe the contrary, and the beginning of game Rei/Akari stuff was just to try and support it further. Though now I fear I’ve made things woefully overcomplicated.

If that's the case then not letting kids go out in the grass when it has nothing but weak Pidgey's and Rattata seems a little excessive.
Children are stupid, they're basically going "hey, my kid is just rushing toward that flock of geese, that's probably bad."

humans are shown to be able to harm other humans in the series......if he scales to them in Dura, they would in AP, and as such they should be able to fight back

my point is not that Elio/Selene doesn't scale in dura, it is that they don't scale to absolutely all humans and that they don't scale to their own dura
Since we're bringing this back, I'd like to ask if there's any reason for Elio/Selene to not be an average human

Back