• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Gotta Redirect Them All! (Pokémon CRT)

Starter_Pack

The Forgotten, Yet Destined
VS Battles
Administrator
Hello folks. Today, I'm proposing a change that will hopefully make things a tad better with the Pokémon verse. This is definitely one of the bigger changes I'm requesting, but please hear me out.

Among the various series we have on VSBW, Pokémon has definitely been a weird one. As, unlike most other series apart from those similar in nature such as Digimon, the keys for our various monsters are spread out amongst their evolutions. For example, we have Venusaur, whose profile not only contains Venusaur and its various powered-up forms, but those of its previous evolutions, Bulbasaur and Ivysaur.

And it's here where my proposition lies. On one hand, people can usually find the correct profile by just looking up the final evolution of the Pokémon, but this isn't always the case. Several profiles actually use other stages in the evolution to base the entire profile around, such as Murkrow, Buizel, and even Pikachu itself, usually due to their own notoriety and popularity. This whole process is inconsistent and can lead to confusion as to which evolution people should even search for.

So what am I looking for, exactly? The answer seems simple, if a bit time-consuming to implement. Let's create redirect pages for the different evolutions of Pokémon, having the pages source to the primary profiles. Doing this has a couple of advantages that I can see:

• Less confusion when using the search bar looking for a specific Pokémon. Instead of having people guess which evolution has a profile or looking it up in the verse page, if one even exists at all, they can look up the name of the Pokémon they want, and if it's there, they will be led to the profile. This process is far better.
  • Several Pokémon profiles are unfortunately fairly out of date, and do not have their evolutions listed on their profiles. By doing this, it will encourage people to put in the work to add the statistics of the various Pokémon evolutions, making this whole site richer by the end.
  • The process of creating these redirect pages is actually pretty easy. To show what I mean, I created test redirects for both Bulbasaur and Ivysaur, which should give you a good look at how simple this whole thing would be.
With all this being said, I believe my proposal is simple, easy to implement, and has a lot of merit to do so. Any other applications of this, such as using it for other verses like Digimon, is neither here nor there at this moment. My proposal is simply to add these redirects to the website for the Pokémon verse. That is all.

Last edited:
I approve.
Pokemon evolutionary families should all share 1 page, at least in the vast majority of cases.
(Although I feel that which Pokemon the profile each page is to be named after is another matter entirely, & perhaps not for this thread.)

I would still like to be safe than sorry when it comes to tackling standard procedure on the site, especially with a fairly important proposal like this.

It could also be seen as a sort of "rallying the troops" moment so this can be finished even faster.

I would still like to be safe than sorry when it comes to tackling standard procedure on the site, especially with a fairly important proposal like this.

It could also be seen as a sort of "rallying the troops" moment so this can be finished even faster.
What do you mean by "safe than sorry" & "rallying the troops" here?
I'm familiar with the expressions, but I'm unsure quite what you mean here in this context, if you'll forgive me.

Safe than sorry, meaning I would rather make sure the CRT goes through our normal procedures as smoothly as possible.

Rallying the troops, meaning gathering extra people to help with adding the redirect pages once the CRT is finished and being applied.

Is there a need for any more approval on this subject, or may we begin creating the redirects for our various Pokémon profiles?

Okay, I have finished creating every redirect I can think of. As of now, if there isn't a redirect for any Pokémon, it is because:
  • Its profile doesn't exist as of yet.
  • The profile doesn't have the evolution listed, which needs to be fixed.
  • I straight up missed it, which would be a my bad.
It would be appreciated if someone else went over everything just to be sure. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure this CRT can go down as a success.

Back