• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Gengar vs Alakazam

The_real_cal_howard

Read my comic
VS Battles
Retired
The match Pokémon fans wondered since that one episode in the anime. Not to mention that they're both debatably the most hax of all non-Legendary Pokémon.

Round 1: Base forms

Round 2: Mega forms

065Alakazam
094Gengarr

Honestly, this is a hard match up, but I'm going to very narrowly give round 1 to Alakazam with extreme difficulty. I'd give it to Alakzam 6/10 times if they fought ten times.

Alakazam can effectively deal with the super effective problem with light screen and reflect, and even heal up with Recover. It can also boost its special attack and defense alongside of this.

Now Gengar is able to deal near guaranteed set damage with night shade, and can manuever around the screens. Stalling with status inducement isn't an option due to Magic Guard, and too much stalling is just screaming for Alakazam to Calm Mind and end the fight the minute Gengar shows itself due to instinctive reaction.

Regardless, this is still a stupid hard fight for Alakazam, since Gengar has very tricky hax like reality warping, size manip, soul manip, and a bunch of other stuff, but all Alakazam needs to do is wait. I'd like to think a Pokemon as intelligent as Alakazam would understand that. Screens up and play the waiting game into one shot with psychic or future sight.

As for Round 2? Mega Gengar takes this easily.

Alakazam can't play the waiting game with Gengar since Gengar can just wait until the screens run out. And Alakazam can't do jack shit about it while Gengar just waits for its opportunity to haxfuck Alakazam into oblivion. Gengar quite literally gives Alakazam a taste of its own medicine in Round 2.

Round 1, Alakazam is more intelligent, beats Gar in terms of power via screens, recover and calm mind, is slightly faster, won't mess around whereas Gengar might. Gengar likes to use moves like Hypnosis too, which won't affect Zam via nonsleeper.

Round 2, similar to before but Gar's ability is useless cause of trace, Zam has a slightly bigger speed advantage and has better precog, but this Gar is more willing to straight up kill, I believe. I'm giving both to Alakazam with high/mid difficulty, 22Easy explained some of Gengar's advantages and I agree it'll be close

Mega Zam would only trace Shadow tag btw, which won't work on a Ghost type anyway, much less Gengar.

I'll give you precog though, which is probably enough to outmanuever Gengar until it inveitably ***** up.

Shadow tag cancels out shadow tag in Pokemon, so Zam won't be affected by Gengar's shadow tag

GyroNutz said:
Round 1, Alakazam is more intelligent, beats Gar in terms of power via screens, recover and calm mind, is slightly faster, won't mess around whereas Gengar might. Gengar likes to use moves like Hypnosis too, which won't affect Zam via nonsleeper.
Round 2, similar to before but Gar's ability is useless cause of trace, Zam has a slightly bigger speed advantage and has better precog, but this Gar is more willing to straight up kill, I believe. I'm giving both to Alakazam with high/mid difficulty, 22Easy explained some of Gengar's advantages and I agree it'll be close
Alakazam via Gyron's arguments

I mean, being scaled to the same feat doesn't mean they have the exact same speed. Rhyperior scales to the same speed as Pokemon like Sceptile, doesn't mean they have the same speed

22Easy said:
BruceTheBatman said:
Bobsican said:
Alakazam via higher speed.
Bad vote. They're scaled to the same feat, regardless of game stats.
Actually in a fight between 2 character from the same verse game stats are taken in to account because that's how it works in canon

Alakazam has higher speed stat than Gengar in-verse and thus is faster

Actually in a fight between 2 character from the same verse game stats are taken in to account because that's how it works in canon

Alakazam has higher speed stat than Gengar in-verse and thus is faster

No, stats are not taken into consideration unless specified so. Only Pokemon exclusive things such as Levitate and Immunities are. Stats are not. They are literallly scaled to the same feat.

Couldn't Gengar use Shadow Sneak?

Since it always goes first and then because Alakazam has basically no defences it may just kill him.

That could actually work, but Alakazam can also just use Psychic Surge and prevent Gengar from using it in the first place.

Udlmaster said:
Couldn't Gengar use Shadow Sneak?
Since it always goes first and then because Alakazam has basically no defences it may just kill him.
Alakazam predicts via precog and dodges the attack

Back