• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Route 1 Bird Brawl (Pidgey vs. Starly) (Voting Completed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starter_Pack

The Forgotten, Yet Destined
VS Battles
Administrator
Trying to get back into the swing of things, I found this match SuperKamiNappa made back in 2018. I really liked the idea here, so I decided to take it for myself with a slight tweak.

When you think of a first route Flying type Pokémon, these two are the most likely candidates for people to say. But which of these birds have enough of an edge to come out as the true high-flying ace of the next beginner Trainer's team? Let's find out now!

In the blue corner, we have Pidgey from the Pokémon franchise, and in the red corner, we have Starly from the Pokémon franchise.

b1ea09efc831455c6823c883c7ac75a4.png
016Pidgey_RB.png

• This is a battle to the death or incapacitation. No holds barred.
  • Neither character are aware of each other beforehand, and there is no prep time.
  • Neither character are allowed any outside help.
  • This battle takes place in Petalburg Forest, giving both an even playing field.
  • Quite obviously, the Pidgey and Starly keys are used from each respective profile.
  • Speed is not equalized.
With all this being said, let the debate begin!

• Viridian Forest Native: 0
  • Eterna Forest Native: 7 (JustANormalLemon, Luckyfun, Lord_JJJ, Lynieryz, FentyBeauty, Psychomaster35, noninho)
  • Inconclusive: 1 (Tllmbrg)

Last edited:
The birds do be brawling. So their dex entries don't give anything useful so this is prob gonna come down to their moves and in-game stats.

Looking at their desings, Pidgey seen to have better claws while Starly has a sharper peak... this is something to start...

In terms of habilities... both can have ken eyes that makes impossible for one lower the other accurance so sand atack is a useless factor

Starly has rekles that makes It's self damsging atacks stroger in echange to also doing more damage to It self

Pidgey has tangled feet that makes It harder to hit when confused and Big Pecks that makes their defense impossible to be reduced

I say Rekles is the only one here that will make a acatual diferexce on this fight

Trough Pidgey pokedex entry does state that It likes to atack by kickig sand into oponents so Starly starts with te advantage that It eill probable actually atack first thanks to Ken eyes while Pidgey will most likely losse It's first atack tring to use sand attack

Red(ENG)A common sight in forests and woods. It flaps its wings at ground level to kick up blinding sand.
Blue
YellowVery docile. If attacked, it will often kick up sand to protect itself rather than fight back.
Most of Pidgey entried are about kicking sand, the only other thig about combat is mentions of It "striking back if trovoked" that I presume is more sand... well, It also states to use whirlwind to BFR smaller oponents, but implies to only do that to smaller ones, so probable will not work here

Starly on other hand...
DiamondThey flock in great numbers. Though small, they flap their wings with great power.
PearlUsually with a large flock, it is barely noticeable when alone. Its cries are very strident.
PlatinumBecause they are weak individually, they form groups. However, they bicker if the group grows too big.
HeartGoldThey flock around mountains and fields, chasing after bug Pokémon. Their singing is noisy and annoying
It seen to be more agressive, using wing based moves to atack and probable sound based atacks too

If we look stats...
Starly has a advantage in attack and speed (10 points above and 4 above respectivaly)

While Pidgey has a 5 points advantage on every thiing else, exept defense that It has 10 points above

Considerig Pidgey more passive atack strategy that is useless here and starly more agressive combat and acces to wing atack, brave bird take down etc I will vote Starly

Pidgey dislikw fighting while Starly seen to be Rekles on chossing It's fights Ba dum tssss

Overall, Starly will be doing more damage overall while pidgey will be busy counterstacking with sand and time to time trig to use whirlwind and hurricane, that by the way has less accurance and moves like gust do less damage then Starly options

Voting Gen 4 birb

Not ro mention Starly acces to wndevor meaning It can retaliate if Pidgey ever get's the uperhand in combat, and whit more speed and also acces to quick atack... ye, Starly seen to win with low diff most of the times thanks to how passive It's oponent is and better ofensive stats and movepoll

I will say between the two Pidgey does have way bigger longevity, what with Roost and Feather Dance letting it heal and debuff Starly
Not to mention Starly's best attacks inflict a lot of self-harm, so in theory, Pidgey can just hold out long enough with its superior defenses. I think it's not unlikely for it to go that route to boot since it has been established that the species is not very aggressive.

Idk, if we are gonna, simulate stuff in a damage calculator, but with the offensive vs defensive route the birds are taking I think inconclusive is a better option
Pidgey is weaker but has way more utility and longevity where Starly is a lot more offensive

Got another Starly vote and one vote for Inconclusive.

There's two more votes for Starly.

Two left to go.

I will say between the two Pidgey does have way bigger longevity, what with Roost and Feather Dance letting it heal and debuff Starly
Not to mention Starly's best attacks inflict a lot of self-harm, so in theory, Pidgey can just hold out long enough with its superior defenses. I think it's not unlikely for it to go that route to boot since it has been established that the species is not very aggressive.

Idk, if we are gonna, simulate stuff in a damage calculator, but with the offensive vs defensive route the birds are taking I think inconclusive is a better option
Pidgey is weaker but has way more utility and longevity where Starly is a lot more offensive
Double team + in character pidgey spams sand attack really makes It's survivability unreliable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back