• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Game of the Year: 2017 edition.

Theglassman12

VS Battles
Thread Moderator
So this year has been a fantastic year for games (if you ignore the stuff with our usual punching bag companies Activision and EA) so it's logical that there has been an abundance of well made games that came out throughout the year. So what are your GOTYs? It doesn't matter if it's AAA or not, as long as it came out this year, it counts. btw the REAL GOTY is obviously Knack 2

058d3f8ad762312eab2f08464a2b3023--mario-nintendo-super-mario-bros
BoTW Zelda
Csqpascosqldrtr2b8df
Nier

Breath of the Wild.

Can't beat that.

Real shame that NieR and Odyssesy came out the same year as BoTW, had they been released in another year or two, they would have easily been GoTY.

I haven't got the chance to play either Mario or BoTW, and screw Nier and Persona, so I gotta say DDLC too.

or MGQ:p Part 2 but w/e

Let me first say, this year had a lot of GREAT GAMES (compared to 2015 and most of 2016 which was shit)

My very long, top five for each of them. (Including Indies)

5. Dead Cells (Steam)

This game brings me the metroidvania spirit back. My friend got me this for Christmas and I got him cuphead. I have no regrets (Albeit cuphead can also be on here). This game is hard, very punishing and satisfying to play. The story is minimal though.

4. Pyre (Steam)

This game is great. (Despite my playtime on this, since I got more on dead cells and salt and sanctuary.) I love the premise, the art, and the story. It is a very enjoyable experience. Gameplay is especially unique, a mixture of pass the ball and strategy.

I think generally speaking this is the lowest play time of the ones on this list, but we will get to that.

3. Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (Nintendo Switch)

I HATE 3D zelda games. I find them very boring, very limiting and honestly just not pleasurable. Even mid to late game when they get fun, I would have rather played monster hunter or anything else...that is except this one. I adore this game. Sure the weapons break so often that if you took a shot for each one that broke, you be ****** up: this game, however, is just a masterpiece. Probably tens of hours on this game and I don't even own the game (my friend does). When I get paid next month, probably buying a switch and this game. The gameplay is fun, the world is beautiful and the item collection in this game is by far the best in any of the 3D zelda games. It won GOTY. Did it deserve it? Arguably. But is it still great? Hell yes.

2. Hollow Knight (Steam)

I just enjoy this game. The art direction is beautiful and this is the kind of style I personally like. Fresh and unique, with an open world field. A Metroidvania not too hard or too easy. In fact, I am tempted to call this just a platformer, but it does have some castlevania esque elements I can spend hours breaking apart. I only have three hours but I spent all of that in one sitting. I only stopped playing because I had to reboot my computer and thus lost my save data (feels bad man), but started playing it again recently and I am back on track to beating the game. (I heard I got 1/5th the way through before my computer went bonkers)

1. Persona 5 (PS4)

I am a huge persona fanboy. When it comes to JRPGs, it is one of the few that has aged well. I loved 3 and 4, which I have beat golden a total of three times and beat 3 in one sitting (well, basically one sitting). The themes are one my ideology can identify with, the characters are lovable, the game is LONG (60-100 hours in your first run through). The music is amazing and honestly, if there is a composer in the industry that can compete with Hitoshi Sakimoto, Nobuo Uematsu etc, it would be Shoji Meguro. Last Surprise is a jam, Rivers in a desert is a coated classic. It was my game of the year.

This is my highly abridged version, I can on which I like about each ones. I also plan to pick up LoZ BoTW on the switch as well as the 'remake' of bravely default if it comes out.

E.T for atari and superman 64

For realz Cuphead was also good for actual game of year i don't know a lot to choice or some of the choices i didn't get a chance to touch

Also someone please look at my Knack revision thread.

Most likely Breath of the Wild. I agree with IGN.

Persona 5, Breath of the Wild, Nier, Mario Odissey, Cuphead, Resident Evil 7, Tekken 7, Wolfenstein II. There were some pretty good games this year.

Also special mention to Final Fantasy XV, who was launched rather weak, but keeps getting better with each new expansion and update.

TeenAngel101 said:
Wait a minute...no...
Did the people who deleted their comments think I was serious?
I got baited lul.

TLDR: My game of the year is still persona 5. I am saddened to hear tho it didnt get game of the year. Tempted to make a thirty minute video and post it on the internet why I like it so much.

I'd say,

1. Zelda: Breath of the Wild. (Obvious Reasons)

2. Xenoblade Chronicles 2

3. Super Mario Odyssey

4. Fire Emblem: Echoes

5. Metroid: Samus Returns

I think the only 2017 games I played this year were Destiny 2 and Monster Hunter World, but Monster Hunter World isn't getting a full release til 2018 and I never really got into Destiny 2.

Meh. Well monster Hunter World was a lot of fun, even if me and my friends died to the same monster 4 times in a row.

Darkanine said:
I think the only 2017 games I played this year were Destiny 2 and Monster Hunter World, but Monster Hunter World isn't getting a full release til 2018 and I never really got into Destiny 2.
Meh. Well monster Hunter World was a lot of fun, even if me and my friends died to the same monster 4 times in a row.
Is it bad that I want to get Monster Hunter World because I am a huge fanboy? I honestly am waiting for a pc release tbh.

Probably the only series capcom has yet to ruin for me yet.

/waiting intensifies

KinkiestSins said:
Probably the only series capcom has yet to ruin for me yet.
Have you heard about the LA Monster Hunter movie about Monsters invading the "real" world and it's up to the every man to somehow stop them all?

It's by the guy who did the Resident Evil movies.

Only Capcon franchises that haven't been ruined as far as I know are Monster Hunter, and Phoenix Wright. Although, Megaman 11 actually looks quite promising.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
Only Capcon franchises that haven't been ruined as far as I know are Monster Hunter, and Phoenix Wright. Although, Megaman 11 actually looks quite promising.
Actually scratch that, Phoenix Wright has to legit not been ruined

Sucks though they wont do physical releases for the west tho </3

@Dark

**** I spoke too thanks.

╠Ât╠Âh╠Âa╠Ân╠Âk╠Âs╠ ╠Âd╠Âa╠Âr╠Âk╠ ╠Ây╠Âo╠Âu╠ ╠Âr╠Âu╠Âi╠Ân╠Âe╠Âd╠ ╠Âi╠Ât╠Â

Well, live action movie adaptations are non-canon, so that's more so Hollywood's fault rather than Capcom. I meant, those are the two Capcom franchises that have yet to have a bad game.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
Well, live action movie adaptations are non-canon, so that's more so Hollywood's fault rather than Capcom. I meant, those are the two Capcom franchises that have yet to have a bad game.
Well, it's Crapcom. They're gonna find someway to **** it up.

I would say my favorite games would be Zelda Breath of the Wild,Super Mario Odyssesy,Cuphead,Xenoblade Chronicles 2 And Persona 5

So far, there have only been three games that have managed to make RPG's fun.

Paper Mario

Undertale

Persona 5

I literally could never play games like Pokemon or Fire Emblem for more than like, two hours because I have no ******* patience.

Back