• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Galbatorix vs Ainz Ooal Gown

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Well, the Name of Names is only supposed to work on spells cast using the Ancient Language so it won't work on Ainz."

I'm getting so sick of explaining this. The Name of Names controls the
language of magic. While it is arguable that it wouldn't work on something like Fairy Tail where they are just calling out the names of their attacks, here it will work. You want to know why?

Because the spells that Ainz casts are all the "true names" of those spells. They are the fundamental, absolute, defining names of those spells that were coded into Yggdrasil for players to learn. These spells have names, and those names are the defininig characteristics of what they are and what they do.

Sounds pretty close to the ancient language's description to me. Name of Names works.

@FDrybob where does it say yggdrasil magic does not need to be named? I think ainz said in a chapter that silent casting actually took more magic energy than using it with the incantation, also ainz's time stop spell does have a name.... it's called Time Stop, he says it in the drama CD

"Magic didn't require any preparatory actions, so it could not be disrupted from being casted." (Volume 4 Chapter 3)

Monarch Laciel wrote:
Sounds pretty close to the ancient language's description to me.

It doesn't matter how you try to sell it: English isn't the Ancient Language.

And the Ancient Language is very clearly not all encompassing - as demonstrated by the fact that Eragon was able to Name that slug thing with the Name of Names, showing that there are things in the Inheritance verse itself that lack Names in the Language.

If Galbatorix wants to use the Name of Names to no-sell Ainz' magic then he's going to have to give Names to each of Ainz' spells in order to do so.

The way I see it is that the Ancient Language was a massive work of magical architecture carried out by an entire species and the Name of Names was the tool used to do it.

It's a matter of verse equalisation. When two things share enough similarities, they are considered to be able to interact with each other as they would with another of their kind.

That slug thing lacked a name in the ancient language because it had no "true name" of what it was. Ainz's spells all have "true names" - the very name of the spell that he says/thinks to use it!

Assuming it didn't work for a moment, he could do that, yes. Would take a while, but once he's given the spell a name, Ainz wouldn't be able to cast it anymore.

Sure. That's a good way to think about it. But verse equalisation still means it's going to work on Ainz's spells.

I'm 90% certain I've answered every argument against Gal using the ancient language, so if you want to make an argument, read through all my comments on it first.

It's completely irrelevant anyway seeing as Gal's mindhax vastly outclasses any mindhax seen in Overlord and so will tear right through Ainz's 100% resistance to all mind hax in Overlord, and he uses it first thing, in character. Or he just says Jierda/Thystra and breaks Ainz into a pile of bone shards

That's all fine and dandy but as important as it is the Ancient Language isn't something inherent to the verse. It's a tool that was created by people, not a methaphisical aspect of reality.

And we never saw Galbatorix begin a fight with Eldunarí enhanced magic. His two biggest weaknesses are arrogance and overconfidence. As long as they are in character Ainz is the worst possible kind of opponent for him.

You mean like the spells Ainz wields were created by the people over in the original world and coded into Yggdrasil to be used as tools to the players?

He is very willing to use mind hax, and very willing to use it with the dragons backing him up. And the only fight he's ever fought in the books, he was entirely secure in that confidence. Only reason he lost was plot. He's entirely willing to be pragmatic.

All his combat is Eldurnari enhanced... they are just the power source. There's not going to be him pulling a giant club made of Eldurnari out of his ass and smacking someone with it. If he needs to put more power into the fight, he'll do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back