• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Four Witches Technique (Dragon Ball)

Part 1: The Basics​

Dragon Ball: Adventure Special describes the Four Witches Technique as generating attacks "more than twice as powerful as normal", and Daizenshuu 2's "Special Attacks" and Super Exciting Guide: Character Volume's "Character Collection" describe the technique as "surpassing human limits" and "[transcending] the scope of martial arts".

Part 2: Counterarguments​

1. Adventure Special could simply be describing how Tien can attack with twice the number of fists.
  2. Super Exciting Guide: Character Volume's "Battle Technique File" describes the Four Witches Technique as "[multiplying his punches] several times over", implying only the number of attacks he can unleash is increased, rather than the effectiveness or the damage of the attacks themselves.

Part 3: Rebuttals​

1. Adventure Special uses the term 攻撃力, which translates into "attack power" or "offensive power".
  2. The number of attacks and the power of the attacks can be multiplied simultaneously, obviously. Neither statement cancel out.
  3. As detailed by Adventure Special, when Tien unleashes the Four Witches Technique, he is surrounded by the aura that indicates the gathering and amplification of strength.
    1. Yes, concentrating Ki into a singular point increases its potency.
  4. Tien only deploys the Four Witches Technique because he recognizes he is outmatched by Goku and desires to quickly finish the battle.

Part 4: Results​

None of the ratings change, but the statistics do.

Last edited:
Don't Tien and Goku both have the same PL of 180?
Power Levels detailed in guidebooks are largely tertiary and are, more often than not, contradicted by the source material.
That, and they aren't even accepted by the Wiki, are they?

For instance, the only "serious" damage Tien ever inflicts upon Goku is during Ch. 128 and 129,—i.e., before he uses his "battle level" power,—when he takes Goku by surprise in Ch. 130, and when Chiaotzu interferes with Psychokinesis. After Goku powers up, though, he trounces Tien.

Tien even admits, "Whenever I go head to head against him... even I am at a disadvantage."
Goku was greatly superior.

i mean as i said power levels arent absolute
goku has almost the same power level in the piccolo and raditz sagas despite training hard for 5 years
I'm pretty sure he wasn't, at least every piece of media outside of the original manga states he wasn't doing as such because of helping raise his new family.

and Super Exciting Guide: Character Volume's "Character Collection" describe the technique as "surpassing human limits" and "[transcending] the scope of martial arts".
I feel like these statements are not in support of a multiplier at all:

"Remarkably, Tien Shinhan's technique involves sprouting additional arms from his back, attacking with a total of four arms—truly surpassing human limits."

Yeah, attacking with four arms instead of two does surpass human limits.... because humans are typically limited to just two arms.

"He has mastered techniques which transcend the scope of martial arts, such as growing two extra hands from his back and splitting into four duplicates."

Growing extra hands is what transcends martial arts. It's a pretty supernatural ability after all. It doesn't say he transcends martial arts by multiplying his power.

I'm pretty sure it's stated that a 2× difference in Dragon Ball is a stomp.
Daizenshuu 7/Chouzenshuu 4's entry on the Barrier technique asserts exerting twice as much Ki as your opponent can nullify their energy attacks, but the only energy attack Tien used against Goku after Ch. 129 is the Tri-Beam, which is explicitly far greater than anything anybody could currently normally output.
I feel like these statements are not in support of a multiplier at all:
They were mainly to emphasize the technique's unique nature.
Lends more credence to the possibility of the technique providing a strength increase, unlike, say, a regular Rush Attack like Rock, Scissors 'N' Paper.

After Goku powers up, though, he trounces Tien.

Tien even admits, "Whenever I go head to head against him... even I am at a disadvantage."
Goku was greatly superior.
I feel like the third one is a bit misleading, Tien was caught off-guard by Goku being unaffected from the Solar Flare. Could probably say the same about the first one, since that's when Goku started using his full power. Think we could also attribute most of these to Tien just being at a skill disadvantage.

Power Levels detailed in guidebooks are largely tertiary and are, more often than not, contradicted by the source material.
That, and they aren't even accepted by the Wiki, are they?
Oh ye, and the entire reason why Tien is even 5-C at all is because he has a PL of 180, which is superior to 23rd Budokai Yamcha's PL of 177.

Back