• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Fixing some missing scans/broken links and some haxs additions for Devil May Cry

Status
Not open for further replies.
the novel is canon on what doesn't go against the series, and BTN just fixed Gilver being Vergil thing to a Angelo ... The manga would already cover this by making Dante and Vergil meet again a year before the events of DMC3, also many demons that Dante fought weren't referenced in the story after (Even great ones (soon to be upgraded to Demon King level) like Abigail), doesn't mean they were yeeted from canon
I don't remember if it was Itsuno or Matt but there is a interview where they basically said everything is canon, now for the stuff that doesn't make sense?

I didn't say the novel as a whole is non-canon, but that Gilver is the most non-canon thing about the novel.

The issue that makes Gliver widely considered to be non-canon isn't about a plot hole about where a clone might come from, but about Dante in the DMC3 manga not seeing Vergil since his mother's death.
Dante was 18 in the manga, so the novel would have to happen shortly before it (a couple of years at most); Vergil sadistically killing Dante's friends and mother figure before Dante killed him would warrant more than: 'I haven't seen you in forever, I thought you were dead'. So unlike Abigail, Gilver does go against the series, as the meeting in the manga was referenced in DMC3.

Found the spirits quote by the way:
pnAD4p8.jpeg

Dante thought the guns would be useless because the armor was repelling his physical attacks, none of Neil guns till that point were stronger than him nor where they different than normal guns but we know that those are far from normal guns, they were specially designed and made for Dante, its literally a pair of weapons that are completly different from anything she has made before and if I remember things correctly, there wasn't any demon that could tank the bullets from E&I in the novel. In short, Dante understimated the guns.

The faces are literally Gilver regret over discarding the guns as something human made and thus useless against him. In no moment where they amped.
I mean none of the demons were tanking bullets from any gun to begin with. It is a big jump from 'I modified this gun for it to have a higher fire rate and for it to be more accurate' to: 'this is a matter disintegration weapon'.

lets read the passage:
Gilver realized that Dante had been gripping his chunky black pistols the whole time. His dead arms fell, pulling the guns out of their upside-down holsters. Dante squeezed both triggers as his hands arced down, unleashing a hail of bullets.

The barrels were just centimeters from Gilver, who flung his hands over his face. The bullets that erupted from Goldstein's
final project tore through the air as though they were alive, vengefully seeking out Gilver.

The demon instantly knew he had made a mistake in writing off the guns as useless tools made by human hands. Just before the bullets tore through it, he knew his black armor would prove useless. The impacts shattered his suit, creating a network of spidery cracks across its surface.

"Impossible!" Gilver howled.

The cracks began to glow.

"Jackpot!" spat Dante.

"But you've lost! I've wo-ugh...Argh!"

Gilver's armor exploded. The bullets chewed away at his exposed body, gouging black holes in his flesh. And then Gilver saw it clearly. Something within the bullets themselves.

He saw a flash of Goldstein's leathery face-of Grue's angry expression.
An unnatural fear iced over his mind. Something inside him blew apart, smashing his body into the ceiling. He fell violently back to the ground.

The bullets continued on beyond him, punching through the demonic world's wall.

Notice the underlined parts. This is not Gilver fuming: 'those darn humans managed to make powerful pistols'. He clearly saw something real within the bullets themselves, and they included the faces of Goldstein and Grue (who had nothing to do with making the guns).

There was another one saying the bullets wipe demons out of existence (someone posted it in a discussion thread a long time ago) but some thought of it as bs and the thread was never made (I told you guys in the past already)
My guess is that it has something to do with killing one of the top tier demons with a demonic power gun shot, though it requires more context.

Gilver is canon, but he is not vergil (hell there is opening to say gilver being vergil is non canon since dmc1), the recent novel that came with dmc 5, Morrison states something happened with the cellar's decades ago, hinting the fight between dante and gilver on Morrisons perspective (hinting, because Morrison doenst know a fight between gilver and dante happened).

There is nothing wrong with Gilver being canon, is just a fell details that got retconed, like Gilver being vergil, Gilver having Vergil's amulet.
No source ever stated the fight went diferent compared to the novel vol 1.

I am largely fine with Glassman's evaluations.

Nedge is right, the first link should be about Dante and the demons messing around in the sunken ship as it shows better the ability.

link to the whole adventure: Devil May Cry 1 06 Mission 12, 13, & 14 Ghost Ship Underwater Adventure Walkthrough By A Blind Man - YouTube

the way it describes makes it seems like a consequence of regeneration rather than straight-up resistance. though. the next things make it seems like Devil form gives resistance.

It should be changed then because they straight up walk in it without taking any damage.

All demons have time stop resistance...
After DMC1 Dante gains another layer of time stop resistance.....
So currently he has 2 layers of time stop resistance.
I saw Dante not only resistance to time stop but also rewind based on M19 in Infinity Nirvana place.

But DMC 3 Dante resistance page doesn't have that.

Can you quote the reason?

I'm using mobile version here and it bit difficult to see the previous comment
Here it is....the rewind scene...
Here a diferent version of it.

And the disagreements against it......
So after some thought, i not agreeing with dante having this resistance.
Everyone goes to original point, dante already enters the room wth demons already to attack him. Thats why dante is there idling when time is rewind, he is put at is original point to.
Later i will come (if i dont forget) with the DMC 2 stuff.
I hope this clears your doubt...

Sorry Efite for using your comments as replies...

They also say in the DMC3 guidebook that Dante experiences a time rewind, but i not sure if this helps here.

Gilver is canon, but he is not vergil (hell there is opening to say gilver being vergil is non canon since dmc1), the recent novel that came with dmc 5, Morrison states something happened with the cellar's decades ago, hinting the fight between dante and gilver on Morrisons perspective (hinting, because Morrison doenst know a fight between gilver and dante happened).

There is nothing wrong with Gilver being canon, is just a fell details that got retconed, like Gilver being vergil, Gilver having Vergil's amulet.
No source ever stated the fight went diferent compared to the novel vol 1.
If Gilver's actions were referenced then I agree the he is probably canon, minus his 'real' identity. But that still means no dramatic and drawn-out death scene where Dante is mind-blown about Gilver's identity.

Also doesn't answer other points, such as the disintegration being explained by Proto-Angelo type demon death. And the weakness and lack of evidence for the assumption that Nell went from talking about increasing the fire rate and accuracy of fire arms to secretly making firearms into matter deconstruction weapons.

This is my final post on the matter, if you want to keep going after that then suit yourself.

They already did, Vol2 already mentioned it and how he and Nelo/Vergil are different beings and Dante remembers both differently with Gilver having an infernal aura or smell, I don't remember which.

In the manga they don't desintagrate, no demon does (except for those using certain things as their avatars), neither in the anime and neither in the novels. The desintegration that we see in 5 is more than likely them taking stuff out of the screen that would overwhelm the system.

Again, Dante breaks his weapons its, there were no human weapons that could handle his power/force/strength, that was they whole point of Nell taking time to create a set of weapons specially designed and made for him, they are a completely new and different than anything she has ever done before, she even calls them her biggest work iirc and they weren't even finished as they were in pieces when Dante found them and had to ensemble them himself. Those can even tank attacks from other demons iirc so yeah, far from normal guns made by a puny human.

If Gilver's actions were referenced then I agree the he is probably canon, minus his 'real' identity. But that still means no dramatic and drawn-out death scene where Dante is mind-blown about Gilver's identity.

Also doesn't answer other points, such as the disintegration being explained by Proto-Angelo type demon death. And the weakness and lack of evidence for the assumption that Nell went from talking about increasing the fire rate and accuracy of fire arms to secretly making firearms into matter deconstruction weapons.
You see Gilver has same biology as Dante, so it is impossible for him to die with just some bullet holes in his chest.....no matter how explosive....cuz regeneration.

The guns are special beacuse they can handle the stress of Dante's rough use.....and strong enough to allow him to channel his power without breaking....Nell didn't make them as matter deconstructors.....but Dante was able to use the Guns in a supernatural way for the first time and you can look at the result.

You yourself showed scans of guns containing 'soul'.
Besides Deconstruction is not a passive ability....Dante needs to actively use it.....

And besides Tony answered for "demon's death scenes".....in game to save RAM the dead bodies need to disappear just like in any other game...and bodies do remain behind if you look at final cutscenes of DMC5 when Dante and Vergil kill some demons....

Besides Novel and Manga depict dead bodies stay behind after death....

Hope that clears it up.

Vol. 2 only has one mention of Gilver, and it is about him feeling demonic energy in the environment like he did with Gilver; this is before he learned that Nelo Angelo is Vergil so no comparision is made. In fact, how Dante was unable to make a connection between Gilver, who is wearing black knight armor, and Nelo Angelo, who is wearing black knight armor, is likely the DMC1 argument EFÍTÉ mentioned for why Gilver might not be canon.

You do realize that many of DMC5 bosses can be seen disintegrating in a similar manner during cutscenes, right? So the disintegration being gameplay mechanics to save processing power isn't going to fly. As mentioned, demons die differently; some turn to dust, some melt into shadow, some explode, some leave a normal corpse, some transform into ice and shatter, etc. Proto Angelos just happens to die through disintegration.

There is nothing in the novels about the guns breaking and needing maintenance because they can't handle Tony's tremendous demonic energy. It is just that Dante is heavily using pistols and rapidly firing them to the point that he is treating them like machine guns, and the pistols couldn't handle the stress. All this means is that Ebony and Ivory were made to be durable and capable of sustained rapid fire and heavy use.

Gilver has a shadow that looks like a knight's armor, bit of a stretch to say that he has the same biology as Dante. Dante was incapped and left crawling on the ground from a bunch of shotgun blasts; winning doesn't require a one-shot kill attack, incapitating through chest shots is enough. Plus, it was a desperate move, as Dante previously skipped on using the guns because he thought they'd be useless.

I don't deny that the bullets were amped, though it is likely through intervention from the spirits of the dead (Gilver observing that the cause of the bullet's strength is something within them, and that something brings images of Nell and Grue). But that means that the bullets had very high AP, not that they cause matter deconstruction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back