• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Fish-Man Karate Multiplier Under Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingTempest

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator

Please Read Message #5 Before You Agree With The OP or NOT

Sorry for the repeated OP CRTs, but I brought this up months ago in the Dressrosa CRT and I'll quickly get it over with.

Fish-Men were stated to get some of their Fish-Men karate techniques multiplied by 2 while under water.

0086-009.png
0086-010.png

I've had my own issues with Viz, and since the other translation said doubled instead of multiplied, I chose to check out the raws.

I brought it to the OTRT where it was translated and it said "doubled".

This scales to nobody except the people I tagged (Jinbe, Hody, Koala, and Kuroobi). People who don't use Fish-Man Karate (Arlong, Kawamatsu, Hatchan, etc.) will not get the multiplier unless future statements compare their boost under water to this one.

If it does scale to somebody, I ask that it should not be discussed in this thread. This is just to give a multiplier for certain characters under water.
I'm curious if this would scale to their durability as well, or only AP/Striking.

Last edited:
The multiplier itself seems fine, but since it says "some" of their techniques, how can it be applied without knowing which techniques are affected?
There's an issue I wanted to tackle.

Fish-Men Karate is basically manipulating water to send shockwaves in the body. It can be used on dry land and under water.
Since there's more than 2x the amount of water under water, it should honestly be much higher than 2x, but I won't go there.
Also the fact that Jinbe basically says that he doesn't have that much use on land.

I'm willing to make a compromise.
In the case where what I just stated above is considered, it would be a 2x amp for all techniques.
In the case where what I just stated above is not considered, it would be a 1.5x amp for all instead of 2x for some, since it would be wrong to pick and choose which stats get a multiplier on them, and a middle point is good until we find something that amps all of their techniques.

In the case where what I just stated above is not considered, it would be a 1.5x amp for all instead of 2x for some, since it would be wrong to pick and choose which stats get a multiplier on them, and a middle point is good until we find something that amps all of their techniques.
I think i agree with this case

It was brought to my attention that Arlong has an attack very similar to one used by other users of Fish-Men Karate (Uchimizu).

0088-008.png

Would Arlong qualify?

I also believe Arlong would qualify, but are there any specific clarification on how Fish-man karate works? I think it would help to see if Arlong qualifies.

I think the power is doubled by the scenario, since inside the sea there is much more water to affect the target's internal body. So, I don't know if the durability or the physical attributes as a whole should be duplicated too (Especially because, Kuroobi implies the limitation of this boost for some specific techniques).

The majority agrees with 2x, but do we have a solid reason to use it over the 1.5 compromise?

The 2x is for "some", but do we have a reason to make it for all over the 1.5?

I think this is fine. I think this would just be an AP multiplier, not a Striking Strength or Durability multiplier.

Three staff members approval and 2x accepted. Applying changes now.

I think that Koala's should be a "possibly 2x multiplier" since we don't know if it is confirmed to apply to non-Fishman users of Fishman Karate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back