• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Final Fantasy discussion thread II: Fighting the Empire

I actually expect the scene to play the same, perhaps with a bit of blood involved given the more detailed style (though nothing gory or too bloody).

TartaChocholate said:
I actually expect the scene to play the same, perhaps with a bit of blood involved given the more detailed style (though nothing gory or too bloody).
Unlikely.

I never realized this until recently, but freaking Genesis is actually back at the end of dirge of cerberus. Da hell? Did they plant for a third sequel back then? Lol

Yeah, Genesis was teased as "G" all the way back in that game, and Crisis Core was the game explaining who this G was, why did his cells were used for Deepground and what was the deal with the last scene in DoC.

Likely they planned a proper sequel to follow on DoC, but I've never found anything confirming there were certain plans for it.

Interesting....

Did they plan on making Cloud the MC again or did Nomura had plans for Genesis to be the protagonist this time around? It would been a good redemption arc for "G"

No idea. I don't recall ever being word on it. They did go to CC after DoC, and then AC Complete, so all the info and focus were on that at the time. It did seems there were plans with all the setups, but no details were given. After that the compilation more or less stopped.

XIII came out in 2009 and they just started spamming it instead of VII so no wonder the compilation stopped.

That being said, I wonder if they will keep the Genesis part in nephilim and his role in Sephy's breakdown in the remake. there's just so much potential for upgrading the story using elements that came later.

Ah, right. Dunno why I though XIII came a bit later. But yeah, the refocused on XIII instead, and from what I get they also were going for "Agito" XIII and "Versus" XIII back then, but development issues were taking a toll on the games.

So far they seem rather wishy washy if they are going to use elements of the compilation or not. At first they declared that no, but a recent interview with Kitase teased they will try to fit in stuff.

I personally don't want Genesis involved in Sephiroth's story. A personal stance, but not a fan of him, and I don't find his concept bad per se or anything, but they tried to cram so many things with him, retcon details so it involve him so it include him and mirror Sephiroth so forcefully, his character came as incredibly clumsily done. If you trim down some stuff Genesis could flow a lot better in the narrative.

I mean, its a remake, so the plotholes and stuff that came in sequels/prequels should be addressed somehow.

That's true though, given the expansion is one of the main goals and having many entries does give a lot of space to do so, fitting all the elements into one coherent narrative would frankly be pretty awesome.

Well... I am replaying Dirge of Cerberus... Vincent is such and insufferable angtsy edgy poser, and I effing love it. To be honest I am having a lot of fun with the game, despite I hated it back in the day. >_>; Figures. I am aware of its shortcomings and all, but I guess things have mellowed a bit.

I heard that game got mediocre reviews; and sure Vincent's a cool badass character. But I'm not to found of shooters generally speaking. I'm more of an RPG guy.

Same here actually, though that's perhaps why I really am not too critical with the gameplay as I know little about shooters to compare to (and I royally suck at them, I make Stormtroopers look like Revolver Ocelot).

"I make Stormtroopers look like Revolver Ocelot"

Nani?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I think you'd be better using tabs to classify the different skillsets of the jobs. Also Shiva provides Absolute Zero. Do they get resistance to Existance Erasure due to facing Exdeath and all?

DarkDragonMedeus said:
The reason Bartz doesn't scale was because the party never defeated Neo-Exdeath but the Void did. And that they struggled against Exdeath's base form.
"The party never defeated Neo Exdeath but the Void did".

Care to elaborate? This part is important.

FF13's revisions are still going to be a while after the Everlasting gets to it. He's still in the middle of FF2.

In Advent Children, despite having grown weaker, managed to put up a fight against Loz, the manifestation of Sephiroth's might, who is capable of holding his own against Cloud

^From Tifa profile.

I know I am beating a dead horse, but do we have an actual proof that the party characters got so much weaker physically? Also, this is wank. Tifa got blitzed and one shotted by Loz she didn't put up any fight.

No, it's alright. I think I've mentioned it before, but if there's anything odd or something you guys disagree with in the profiles feel free to let me know so we can properly discuss it. I mean, Cloud got his proper AC key thanks to talking out.

To be fair, that's from the old version of the profile before I made revisions. I guess it should be reworded.

I'm thinking of using the Loz fight for durability, specifing that Loz was messing around in the first part of their fight and then got serious and stomped. I think it can be used that way as Tifa did tank several hits, including one impact and a couple of shocks from the Dual Hound, and Loz holding back isn't going to go down an entire tier, nor he is the type of guy to be careful enough to not kill someone (at best he held back to prolong his "game" with Tifa, but if she had died "eh, tough luck") and how despite being Ko'd she did survive his serious attacks, and wasn't worse for wear when regained consciousness. Also Tifa wasn't one shotted, she was two shotted, which is slightly less embarassing

I kinda agree that using it for Attack Potency and Striking Strength is pointless, as even though Tifa got several hits in, Loz only got some dirt on. Perhaps I can get away with Speed as well, mentioning that Loz used his Warp Skill to blindside Tifa but she kept up with casual Loz.

Regarding strength... Tifa's speech at the end mostly, not to mention everyone's (save Vincent) overall helplessness in the movie rather clashes with the people who brought down Sephiroth, I mean, they all took the Supernova, they all could hurt his Safer form, suddenly jobbing big time against the Remnants and doing nothing to Bahamut is contradictory if they had their full strength. I know you think she means the will to fight, and some subs actually do put ""will" in there (though translations vary, depending on the version she talks of their strength, in other she talks solely about Cloud, etc), but that's at most part of it, especially when you consider the situation they fight in. Tifa had to protect Marlene, the party had to stop Bahamut SIN from potentially slaughtering a city, they had little reason to hesitate. If anything it fully applies to Cloud's "I suck, I can't do anything right, why bother?" mentality through the movie.

Also, one thing that I've come across reading side materials, staff commentary and replaying the compilation... and that kinda annoys and dissapoints me, is how Nomura and Nojima (and to an extent Kitase) seemed to develop everything with "all flash little substance" mentality, with worldbuilding, continuity and consistency being afterthoughts. Reading their creative process most of the time they just had a moment of "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if this happened?" and then they build things around that. Issue is, if it goes against past events or established things they just retcon things or "shove" the new idea into the story.

Reading the Reunion Files, for example, they talk a lot of how they wanted to make Sephiroth seem like someone who had ascended, who was on another level and made his dialogue and design reflect that. But later on they comment they started with the idea that it would be cool if Cloud and Sephiroth fought again, but until a good while into the film they hadn't even though of a reason for Sephiroth to come back. Just... it feels they focused on making a movie as stunning looking and cool as possible, and that succeeded, but didn't gave much thought to the plot sustaining it until later they decided to fill the blanks.

This extends to other titles, going halfway through DoC I recalled what bothered me so much the first time: the story is one big messy retcon that opens a plethora of plotholes. And this happens with all the titles, with the staff trying to cover it up in interviews and Word of God later on.

This puts a lot of contradictory stuff when it comes to the lore I'll have to reconcile and explain for the profiles.

Cloud for certain got stronger, not sure about anyone being weaker, but they're still well into 4-B.

@Tarta I am not crazy enough to try to downgrade Tifa from her tier. All I was asking is some change in wording her profile.

If anyone is interested, Im planning on calling the next thread:

Final Fantasy discussion thread III: Riding the eternal wind.

I will welcome any suggestion.

For context, FF III's main theme is called "Eternal wind", and the intro theme "Legend of the eternal wind/Memory of the wind".

@Zero: Don't worry, I know. I was just explaining my stance on the matter, and got carried away with my... um... small frustation regarding the compilation. Sorry, I am pretty passionate about it, add to that that I tend to speak way too much too often. -_-;

I am gathering a few things right now and will update and tweak a couple of details in the profiles, I'll reword Tifa's as well when I do that update. Just gimme a little bit to finish getting the stuff.

@Pachi: That's a pretty awesome title, no kidding. I loved that track as well.

I wonder what personality they will go with for Cloud in the remake. I am not a fan of his emo self in KH and Dissidia.

Him beig so sad over Aerith in AC should have been done in the original game so I won't mind he goes sad again, but save that until Aerith dies

I think his melancholic self did make sense in AC, but it wasn't well pulled off. Mostly, it not only was Aerith's death, he found out he was fatally ill, his adopted son too, Geostigma manifests Sephiroth's will in the person suffering from it and all, so he had reasons to be down. But all the shifts and events were so sudden and poorly explained it just came as a regression.

Though I fully agree, his angsty self becoming his default personality for all his appearances was a misstep, especially since Nomura assumed that was what made Cloud popular among fans, with no basis.

Though, from what I've gathered from people who have played the Demon at E3 such as Maximillian Dood, Cloud is back to being a cocky poser jerk (with a dash of dorkiness), that has quite a lot of friction with Barret. So at least his personality aligns with how was at the beginning of the game.

Like you said, they can make excuse, but in the end they are still excuses.

They wanted him emo, so they slammed all the Aerith and Geostigma stuff into his head so he act desspresed. I still think the Aerith death in the original game was handled so poorly and they should have dealt with that back in the original game.

Back