• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Fairy Tail 100 Year Quest Discussion Thread: Post-Void Saga

Gildarts being the one to comfort Natsu didn't do it for me

Man is hardly ever around in general

Let alone there for Natsu

He like a distant uncle at most for Natsu if I'm being honest
Eh, we've seen how important of a person Gildarts is in Natsu's life, and given Natsu's traveling, it made the most sense and was also a very good way to reintroduce Gildarts.

This chapter's one of my favorites, especially because of how effective it is at telling a story without a single word being written.

It's a bittersweet chapter. While Natsu and Gildarts don't have as strong as a relationship as the series tries to make you believe, it was still nice, even if as you said, he is more a cool uncle than a dad. For every thing I dislike, there is something I like.

It's complicated to fully flesh out my thoughts, because it is sorta clever how they conveyed everything without words. Even if we have no idea what was actually bothering Natsu, either his dad's death, or him leaving the guild. Gildarts doesn't really deserve to be the person Natsu shows this insecurity to, given he doesn't talk about his problems at all, but seeing Gildarts care was really nice, especially after how nobody gave a shit that his dad died.

While I'm not totally sold on the idea of Natsu looking up to Gildarts as opposed to his dad, this chapter at least made it seem more believable. So its an 8/10 chapter, as even though I dislike some of the decisions, it was well done.

Hold on, let me rationalize my thoughts a bit more. I think I do like this chapter a lot, even if I think it didn't go deep enough, but that's not a flaw of the story itself, just my preference. I think it is after Natsu sees how much he pushed Gildarts back with a simple attack compared to how he pushed Gildarts back with his strongest move on Tenrou does he realize how strong he has gotten, which we see him state when he one shots the war god. In this moment here, he realizes Gildarts isn't an unbeatable foe, and how he won't make the same mistake he did on Tenrou by giving in, and instead, decides to keep pushing forward and get stronger. So this falls perfectly in line with Natsu not letting himself be intimidated by stronger foes, as he is perfectly willing to throw hands with Zeref by himself.

So I enjoyed what this chapter set up greatly, which is Natsu now consistently training and getting stronger rather than taking the easy way like he tried to do before the GMG and the second origin nonsense. So while it didn't address what I wanted it to, what it did touch upon meant a whole lot for Natsu's character. Which is that anyone can be surpassed and to not stop climbing.

Last edited:
Ben really doesn’t like Gildarts is a trend I’ve noticed

I like Chapter 417 a lot
Did you not just listen to me explain why that chapter was good for setting up Natsu's path to power and why it was endearing to Gildarts character? Gildarts is fine, sure its well known how I feel about Tenrou and him vs Natsu, but I have no issues with him. I just preferred it if Igneel was much more of an influence in Natsu's life. Gildarts doesn't fit the dad role, just the cool uncle who has questionable behaviors but ultimately means well. Also most jokes with Natsu and Gildarts just breaking out into a fight is actually funny, shows Natsu has moved on from his fear and sees Gildarts as greatest mountain for him to climb. Plus Jason Douglas as a VA is never a bad thing.

Did you not just listen to me explain why that chapter was good for setting up Natsu's path to power and why it was endearing to Gildarts character? Gildarts is fine, sure its well known how I feel about Tenrou and him vs Natsu, but I have no issues with him. I just preferred it if Igneel was much more of an influence in Natsu's life. Gildarts doesn't fit the dad role, just the cool uncle who has questionable behaviors but ultimately means well. Also most jokes with Natsu and Gildarts just breaking out into a fight is actually funny, shows Natsu has moved on from his fear and sees Gildarts as greatest mountain for him to climb. Plus Jason Douglas as a VA is never a bad thing.
👀 I got my eye on you

GMG is still arguably one of my favorite arcs in FT

( always had a soft spot for Tournament arcs )

But god damn when you actually relook at it all the Guilds bar FT are full of disappointments who get carried by their Aces

Sabertooth- Mistress Minerva carried her squad

Lamia Scale- Carried by Iron Rock Jura

Mermaid Heel- HARD CARRIED by Kagura

Blue Pegasus- Carried by the GentleMAN Ichiya

Quarto Cerberus- Blatantly carried by the drunkard Bacchus

Raven Tail- .....BWAHAHAHAHAHA

Well let's be honest, not enough people are gonna care about every member of the team. I think it was smart to give each guild one defining member to focus on. It keeps the presence of other guilds without being too overbearing to manage.

Black Clover does this too, with every Magic Knight Squad outside the Black Bulls mainly focusing on a few prominent members within the squad (except the Golden Dawn because that's Yuno's squad)

Well let's be honest, not enough people are gonna care about every member of the team. I think it was smart to give each guild one defining member to focus on. It keeps the presence of other guilds without being too overbearing to manage.

Black Clover does this too, with every Magic Knight Squad outside the Black Bulls mainly focusing on a few prominent members within the squad (except the Golden Dawn because that's Yuno's squad)
I ain't saying every mage on each team has to a be a top class fighter

But they always get carried by their Ace

It's like if Gildarts joined the games and was the sole reason FT got as far as they did and won

It's not satisfying at all

Like at least one or two more high tier fighters would be nice

Get what I mean?

But god damn when you actually relook at it all the Guilds bar FT are full of disappointments who get carried by their Aces

This is sorta the problem with Tournament arcs, Hiro had a tournament with 40+ characters and there’s just no way to do them all justice

Slap ontop the Eclipse Gate plot and I can see why he didn’t give a lot of the fodder more to do

And even then, he still gave most characters some moments in other non-fighting rounds, like that one fat Gravity Magic user in the Mermaid Heel suddenly turning skinny in the chariot race.

Orga and Rufus are strong just not by Jura standards
Lyon and Sheria are decent as well
Agree
Agree
Agree
*Insert mutahar laugh here

I mean look at the Tournament of Power, lots of fodder nobodies there as well and Universe 7 did most of the fighting

Somewhat true, but with a few squads like Rill's and Dorothy's it's pretty clear that just one of their members, the captains, are relevant whilst everyone else are completely forgettable or don't even exist narratively speaking.

It's not inherently a bad thing since they are far from the focus of the story but then you have Golden Dawn getting pushed away from the story in favor of the Black Bulls. I know what you think about Golden Dawn but I honestly think they—Yuno included, William was the only character there who actually got my attention up until this arc where he got super shafted for Yami—are kind of lame for the most part.

Last edited:
It's not inherently a bad thing since they are far from the focus of the story but then you have Golden Dawn getting pushed away from the story in favor of the Black Bulls. I know what you think about Golden Dawn but I honestly think they—Yuno included, William was the only character there who actually got my attention up until this arc where he got super shafted for Yami—are kind of lame for the most part.
You don't care for Langris, Mimosa, or Klaus?

I gotta say that Tartaros is probably my favorite arc.

The dark setting and high stakes on the line made it so good and made me really invested in the story.

You don't care for Langris, Mimosa, or Klaus?
Langris was honestly a pretty good character and his dynamic with Finral is still one of my favorites, I should have mentioned him in hindsight.

Mimosa was pretty good as a character but then in this arc she got relegated to some sort of plot device that just pops up to make the BC fandom cry that nobody died in that war lmfao. It doesn't damage her too much as she's still a GD member with an identifiable personality and such but it rubs me sort of the wrong way.

Klaus at first was alright but then he became less and less relevant in the story and finally degraded into just being a background character in the grand scheme of things. I honestly do not know how Tabata can use this person this late into the story as he has had little to no development (that I can remember at least) for a hundred or so chapters now.

Note: I decided to add spoilers since there can be some people here in the thread who have not read BC yet.

For me

Fairy Tail just had consistent W's during X784 ( bar Edolas which was mid )

And my favorite arc in Fairy Tail is probably the Battle of Fairy Tail Arc

For me

Fairy Tail just had consistent W's during X784 ( bar Edolas which was mid )

And my favorite arc in Fairy Tail is probably the Battle of Fairy Tail Arc
Oh, are you one of the people who believe X784 is better than X791 and X792 👀

Langris was honestly a pretty good character and his dynamic with Finral is still one of my favorites, I should have mentioned him in hindsight.

Mimosa was pretty good as a character but then in this arc she got relegated to some sort of plot device that just pops up to make the BC fandom cry that nobody died in that war lmfao. It doesn't damage her too much as she's still a GD member with an identifiable personality and such but it rubs me sort of the wrong way.

Klaus at first was alright but then he became less and less relevant in the story and finally degraded into just being a background character in the grand scheme of things. I honestly do not know how Tabata can use this person this late into the story as he has had little to no development (that I can remember at least) for a hundred or so chapters now.

Note: I decided to add spoilers since there can be some people here in the thread who have not read BC yet.
After reading this, I do fully agree with pretty much everything you said.

People rag on Black Clover's antagonists but Langris was legit a very solid antagonist in the Royal Knights arc that no one talks about for some reason.

Edolas was actually pretty enjoyable IMO.

I actually liked all of X784 and X791.

X792 was...meh.

The things I liked:

1. Brandish in general

2. Irene in general

3. Lucy being a badass

4. Decent lore

5. Gale moments

Issues I had:

1. Got rushed like Game of Thrones Season 8

2. A bunch of Spriggans were wasted characters

3. No LFDM Natsu or ISDM Gajeel

4. Makarov should've died.

Edolas was actually pretty enjoyable IMO.

I actually liked all of X784 and X791.

X792 was...meh.

The things I liked:

1. Brandish in general

2. Irene in general

3. Lucy being a badass

4. Decent lore

5. Gale moments

Issues I had:

1. Got rushed like Game of Thrones Season 8

2. A bunch of Spriggans were wasted characters

3. No LFDM Natsu or ISDM Gajeel