• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Extremely important information about our upcoming forum migration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agnaa said:
Hmm, is it not possible to lessen this disruption by essentially exporting the forums twice, so we don't lose any data? One export done around now, and the other export done once the new forums are set up and have the old export brought in?
I do not think that the Fandom technical team is willing to export the forums over and over, and it is also best to have everything set up and ready when we move to the new forum.

BloodyBloodwork365 said:
What will happen to UZB? IDK it has forums in the first place.
It will have to use Discussions instead, in lack of better options.

Not gonna lie, despite with all of the change and the concern of peoples in the past, this whole update slowly not too bothersome on us

But what bother me is are our avi will be stay at currently being used one? And btw, how do we chat each other in this site?

We can still use the message walls here, and there will be a private message function in the new forum. I am not sure whether or not there will be public personal message walls though, but it shouldn't be impossible to customise something like that for Community Hired.

Unless I'm from the future none of my VS Threads were made 13 days from now. And I'm not from the future.

I'm not VS Battles Staff, tho, and the Wiki whose Staff I am a part of IDK has forums. I wish VS Battles and every Wiki the best of luck, though.

Will this affect Wikis without forums?

So we can still use message wall for chatting/questioning-answering? Good to hear that, because if we can't in the new update i can't inform my friend outside of this wiki when i will come to chat or giving an situation about me, not gonna ask about chat since you said that it will stay same long ago lel

We can still use message walls for now, but Fandom has indicated that they want to get rid of those too some time in the future, but not yet.

Why get rid of the Message Walls?

Also, tell me if this is spamming, tell me if this should go on another thread, but I'm genuinely curious. Will Wiki's without forums just magically get Discussions?

Because Message Walls and Forums run on the same old code, and instead of updating it, they've built the Discussions from scratch to replace the Forums, and will likely build something else to replace the Message Walls.

I'm not sure on your second question, it might be opt-in.

Super Saiyan God Julian said:
Okay then. I will make sure to block any major revisions that might severely alter the wiki, and to help out in speeding up any current ones
Thank you. However, we shouldn't go around locking preexisting content revision threads, as they might get exported in that state to the new forum (we do not know the exact backup date after all), just tell all people who continue to argue in them to immediately drop the discussions, and to visit an official migration thread for information.

Wait, to have an invitation, you need 100+ edits? Man, I need to get some edits and fast. also, how do you become a member, do you need a number of edits, or do you just need to register an account

You need a confirmed email address and at least 100 edits.

Agnaa said:
idk if you wanna be posting your email to everyone, but yeah that means it's good.
I removed it, was dumb of me putting it out there

Imaginym said:
Blogs, even those of inactive users will be imported, right?
What i'd reccomend to do before the transition, as soon as possible, copy and paste your blogs onto a second document like Word or Google Docs so that even if the blogs vanish post-transition, you can repost them later on.

Thats what im going to do with all the important blogs I made.

Actually, do we know what's to become of sandboxes? If they're gone I got a lot of copying and pasting to do

That's not gonna be easy, I assume it's each man for himself is how it'll go?

Blog posts will not be affected by this.

Sandboxes won't be either.

I haven't heard any plans from Fandom on changing either of these. There is the upcoming Unified Community Platform, but as far as I can tell no action will need to be taken by us for that, and nothing will be lost/reduced in functionality.

We may copy blogs over in the future, but Fandom will not be removing it right now, and if we copy them in the future it'll be for our convenience.

I think that the blogs and sandboxes are safe. The formatting will likely just look a bit different.

Spinosaurus75DinosaurFan said:
Wait why are we exporting blogs? Why is that necessary?
Not yet, but hopefully later. It is more practical to handle all of our discussions in one place.

You just need to be able to access the e-mail you use for your current account. You only need to do whatever conveniently lets you do that.

Agnaa said:
You just need to be able to access the e-mail you use for your current account. You only need to do whatever conveniently lets you do that.
Alright

Also, how can I make my wiki join the external forum?

Not yet, but hopefully later. It is more practical to handle all of our discussions in one place.

We're gonna still need this wiki for profiles anyway, why don't we let the blogs stay here? It seems like unnecessary work to me.

MaxForward said:
Alright

Also, how can I make my wiki join the external forum?
Only vsbw and affiliated wikis (jbw and fc/oc) will be moved over, as they all have a long shared history together.

I don't think there's any plans to bring other wikis over, that'd require a lot of extra work and money for communities that aren't even related to ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back