• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

English or Japanese Names?

Reppuzan

VS Battles
Retired
I've been editing Digimon pages frequently lately and I can't help but wonder if I should use the English or the Japanese names.

The Japanese names are arguably more popular amongst long-time fans and often make more sense or avoid the bowlderization of English censors.

However, I (and possibly a few others) are more accustomed to the English dub due to watching it as a child.

Which should be preferred for consistency's sake?

Why not both?

Maybe do something like Urameshi Yusuke (Eugene).

This guy is named Eugene in the filipino dub of the show Yu Yu Hakusho. Just an example though, everyone outside of the Philippines knows him via japanese name so this one didn't need both names stated.

Why not both? As in, don't exclude the names, otherwise refusing to acknowledge it by not adding to their name data isn't a great idea.

I normally wouldn't mind, but since Digimon have so many forms we'd end up with name entries and keys like:

Duskmon | Velgemon/Velgrmon | Loweemon/Louwemon, Valiant Jet Black Warrior, Executor of Darkness | JagerLoweemon/KaiserLeomon | Rhinimon/Raihimon, Guardian Emperor of Darkness

It's manageable but... extremely clunky looking.

I would think we usually use the english names for characters, like we usually also use the english order for names.

So in my opinion you should use that on the pages, when using the names.

For the page titel you could additionally make it so that the japanese name redirects to the english one if the japanese one is better known.

I personally went with English names since they're more well known (except for a few rare cases like Lilithmon and Marsmon), but if you want to start using Japanese names only, then I'm game. If you want, I'll go through the pages and rename a lot of the ones to their Japanese names.

Back