• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dropping the Riordanverse Tier by smiting it with Zeus' Lightning Bolt

Status
Not open for further replies.
The celestial bodies that the greek gods interact with don't seem to be the "science" ones, just stuff like Apollo's car, Artemis' chariot, Ra's boat, etc, so anything to do with those doesn't really work. Supernova statements are obvious hyperbole, so they don't work as well.

I think there was the "flooding the world one", but it was just rain, iirc, so doesn't work.

Percy’s wording doesn’t come off as a hyperbole at all. “Watch out for a supernova in your local quadrant“ isn’t something like “she hit with the force of a supernova” or smth like that.
Also I thought we went over that. The science and mythology are one in the same. At the very least they’re equal to each other, as it would make zero sense for Ra’s boat to be inferior to natural science when they canonically do the same job.

Percy’s wording doesn’t come off as a hyperbole at all. “Watch out for a supernova in your local quadrant“ isn’t something like “she hit with the force of a supernova” or smth like that.
Also I thought we went over that. The science and mythology are one in the same. At the very least they’re equal to each other, as it would make zero sense for Ra’s boat to be inferior to natural science when they canonically do the same job.
I believe Percy’s statement was rejected because it was part of a rumor about Zeus.

The rumor was what Zeus was doing with one of his many women, not Hera’s hissy fits, which given Percy’s wording, comes off as something that actually happened before. And everyone knows Zeus can’t keep it in his pants so it’s very likely it’s not a rumor. Not to mention the entire multi-franchise is about rumors and myths being more than just rumors and myths.

The true forms are compared to supernovas a few times, doesn't mean it's the same power, not like Percy would know, he even says Zeus' bolt is like only 50 megatons in the same book that he says it hits like a supernova. He's not qualified to make this kind of statements, it's clear that it's only because it's a bright, powerful, flash of light.

Ra's boat and the real sun both give warmth to the Earth, but one is a lot closer, much smaller, and also not needed at all since he disappeared for thousands of years and the Earth was fine.

See one is a hyperbole while the other isn’t. It’s a matter of tone. There’s no simile or metaphor in the Hera feat to imply it’s hyperbolic or flowery language, especially given he mentioned the setting of a quadrant.

"Watch out for a supernova in your local quadrant" sounds very much like a joke, she's going mad and destroying things.

Also, iirc, doesn't he say it's the quadrant around Jupiter, since that's where the rumours says Zeus goes to have his affairs? A supernova inside the solar system isn't something you so casually mention.

Also should we edit the other pages
I've noticed Zeus got the edits but Hades for instance hasn't been updated
That seems like a good idea, but let's wait for the current argument to end first.

"Watch out for a supernova in your local quadrant" sounds very much like a joke, she's going mad and destroying things.

Also, iirc, doesn't he say it's the quadrant around Jupiter, since that's where the rumours says Zeus goes to have his affairs? A supernova inside the solar system isn't something you so casually mention.
Percy doesn’t joke in that book though. He says in the beginning that he’s making it as a guide. For information. It would make zero sense in context for him to say something to get confused over.

It's nothing to get confused over, Hera is jealous and blows up in anger ocasionally, Zeus is rumoured to have affairs in Jupiter, so he says she blows up near it. Wether she really does it or he's just being humorous to exemplify her jealousy, we don't know, but it can't be a real supernova, since that'd wreck the solar system, so it's at best a large burts of energy, like Zeus with Semele or Jason talking about Hera in the Lost Hero, both compared to supernovas but obviously not showing the power on that level.

It's nothing to get confused over, Hera is jealous and blows up in anger ocasionally, Zeus is rumoured to have affairs in Jupiter, so he says she blows up near it. Wether she really does it or he's just being humorous to exemplify her jealousy, we don't know, but it can't be a real supernova, since that'd wreck the solar system, so it's at best a large burts of energy, like Zeus with Semele or Jason talking about Hera in the Lost Hero, both compared to supernovas but obviously not showing the power on that level.
This seems to make sense to me.

He's literally never said that Hera nuked our sun.

I don't see how that conclusion makes sense. They both exist simultaneously and are related, that doesn't mean that Apollo's chariot is 4-C as can be inferred very clearly by the fact that it doesn't wipe out the planet when Talia crashes it.

I don't see how that conclusion makes sense. They both exist simultaneously and are related, that doesn't mean that Apollo's chariot is 4-C as can be inferred very clearly by the fact that it doesn't wipe out the planet when Talia crashes it.
Pretty much this.

And we know the GM stars are different/weaker/less powerful than SA stars. It sets a precedent, one that has already been directly stated anyways.

He said she went supernova in Jupiter's quadrant, from what I recall of the full quote. A supernova near Jupiter would obviously cause massive damage to the solar system as a whole, I don't know if it'd destroy the sun, but I'm quite sure life on Earth wouldn't survive, at least.
That's not what he said though. He said she causes one whenever she finds him cheating. Jupiter isn't even part of a quadrant.

Nevermind, found one online:

FYI: Rumor has it that Zeus and Callisto secretly hang out when he’s in his Roman form. He hides in the planet Jupiter—or maybe he becomes the planet Jupiter—and she revolves around him in the nearby moon named after her. Watch for a supernova in that quadrant of the sky when Hera discovers their trysts.
"In that quadrant of the sky", meaning either around where Jupiter is, or somewhere close enough to be seen in the same part of the sky by someone looking from Earth, which wouldn't make sense as a supernova unless she decides to run a few lightyears away first.

GM is Greek Mythology Stars, they have a much smaller size, are less luminous, and are in the sky, and SA stars are Scientifically Accurate stars, which would really warrant star level for creation.

Nevermind, found one online:

"In that quadrant of the sky", meaning either around where Jupiter is, or somewhere close enough to be seen in the same part of the sky by someone looking from Earth, which wouldn't make sense as a supernova unless she decides to run a few lightyears away first.
That quadrant of the sky is massive. Like literal lightyears, because it includes other stars. Like, pretty sure Big Dipper is in that quadrant of the sky

If she's flying so far away just to throw a temper tantrum, then mentioning it's the same quadrant doesn't make much sense.

In any case, to me it's pretty clearly not literal, Percy doesn't even know if Zeus turns into a planet, or hides in it. It seems to be a passage about using celestial bodies to find your way during the night, then he throws that little tangent in, presumably because they might see a light coming from there. He also makes a joke in the paragraph right above that quote, so he's definitely not fully serious through the whole thing.

He literally said watch in the skies for it, implying he saw it before. The only thing he wasn’t sure of is how Zeus got to have sex with a constellation.
Also she doesn’t need to fly away to cause one. That’s just range.

He literally said watch in the skies for it, implying he saw it before. The only thing he wasn’t sure of is how Zeus got to have sex with a constellation.
Also she doesn’t need to fly away to cause one. That’s just range.
The entire passage is a rumor. It's unreliable at best, and all of the other mentions of people going "supernova" have no signs of appropriate damage, and 6C characters can stand around the "Supernova", as long as they don't look at it.

"Prepare for my brother to explode when he finds I broke his gameboy."

Genuine statement, didn't use like or as, does not mean my borther will actually blow up.

"He's going to kill me if he finds out."

No one is going to kill me.

"If you keep making fun of his height, he's going to go supernova on you."

These statements mean nothing, and do not warant any ratings or even mentions.

Anyways, the feat is inconsistent, seeing as the god's all out war at max would have High 6A feats, and gods are trapped under mountains numerous times throughout the series.

So, she sees her husband cheating on her then creates a supernova so far away it cannot harm anyone. Seems a bit counterproductive.

It's not like Percy would be able to tell it's a supernova just from seeing it. And while myths being true is the base of the setting, things are unknown all the time, the characters don't know everything, like Percy not knowing if Zeus is literally Jupiter or just hangs around in it.

So, she sees her husband cheating on her then creates a supernova so far away it cannot harm anyone. Seems a bit counterproductive.
Why would she want to harm anyone? She’s a goddess, not a monster.
It's not like Percy would be able to tell it's a supernova just from seeing it.
If anything that supports my point, because he wouldn’t have said anything if he didn’t further clarification.
And while myths being true is the base of the setting, things are unknown all the time, the characters don't know everything, like Percy not knowing if Zeus is literally Jupiter or just hangs around in it.
He gets confused because “Zeus became Jupiter” can mean two things in the PJO verse.

Anyways, the feat is inconsistent, seeing as the god's all out war at max would have High 6A feats, and gods are trapped under mountains numerous times throughout the series.
Putting my opinion of VSBW’s definitions of outliers aside, the gods don’t wanna destroy earth, and lifting strength ain’t striking strength. Not to mention trapped under mountains is a false argument if you want them to be over island level to begin with

Putting my opinion of VSBW’s definitions of outliers aside, the gods don’t wanna destroy earth, and lifting strength ain’t striking strength. Not to mention trapped under mountains is a false argument if you want them to be over island level to begin with
Firstly, the gods were going all out in their High 6A High 6B feats, their attacks simply missed, and then caused that damage.

Also, the point was more that lifting and then throwing a mountain generated enough KE to put down a weakened Typhon. There's no way this would work on a star level character. I will admit that LS does not = AP, but Zues throwing the mountain on Typhon and him not treating it like nothing does count as a durability anti-feat, and therefore, a AP anti-feat, as Typhon's durability scales above the Gods.

Why would she want to harm anyone? She’s a goddess, not a monster.
She yeeted her son out of a mountain because he was ugly, made her husband's son slaughter his entire family, convinced her husband's lover to ask to see his true form, which killed her . . .
If anything that supports my point, because he wouldn’t have said anything if he didn’t further clarification.
Do you think Percy is the kind of guy who sees a bright light in the sky, learns it's Hera, then goes to ask people if it is, indeed, a literal supernova?
He gets confused because “Zeus became Jupiter” can mean two things in the PJO verse.
Supernovas can clearly mean different things as well, so I don't see the point here.

She yeeted her son out of a mountain because he was ugly, made her husband's son slaughter his entire family, convinced her husband's lover to ask to see his true form, which killed her . . .
Gonna point out that this isn’t what Cal meant. Gods have no issues harming some people (doubt anyone thinks otherwise) but when it is on the scale of wiping humanity from the face of the earth en masse, then they don’t wanna do it. They need people alive or else they fade and die so Hera being mad doesn’t mean she would be so mad as to also commit suicide when she is definitely use to Zeus’ shit at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back