• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Resistance to Magic

Shouldn’t Percy have resistance to magic?

At a baseline level, it’s mentioned that Morpheus’ spell to knock out Manhattan didn’t work on the Demigods because it’s “harder” to knock them out with spell.

(To be more exact, by stretching the range to the entirety of Manhattan, it’s become thin and requires higher concentration to knock out a Demigod. This isn’t a stellar feat, but it’s an outright explicit admission of Demigods having resistance to magic.)

When Carter attempts to use his spell on Percy in the canon crossover, it just doesn’t work.

(In fact, Carter makes mention that it seemed that “it simply didn’t know what to DO WITH Percy.” The best way to put it is he seems to be confusing the Magic being cast on him by Carter.)

Much, much earlier in another story, Percy is caught in magic song and needs help from Grover to free himself. However, when he immediately fights her on the roof moments later, by merely focusing he was able to walk through and tank the spell. Though he does explicitly note this took effort—But it should also be noted this spell can affect thousands of people at once and still caught Percy the first go around, so him doing it alone means this is also debatably a large amount of magic being directed towards him.

Against Setne, he falls to his combo magic spell (Setne was combining Greek and Egyptian Magic to make it and himself vastly more powerful) literally called Fall. However, once being threatened by another Spell that would kill both him and Annabeth, Percy just instinctively got up and broke it to save the two of them.

And lastly, Percy outright has broken Time Magic/Time Spells casted by Kronos to slow all of his movement, though it took a bit of ordinary ocean/sea water. It should be noted that Percy focused his magical resistance to try and break the spell, but it didn’t work until after he had been revitalized by the sea (meaning his Magical Resistance, like all of his other powers, is enhanced by the Sea.)

With all of this in mind, he should be a slam dunk for magic resistance, no?

Seems fine yeah. Would apply to all demigods tho, not just Percy (although him powering through stuff might be a willpower feat and further resistance)

Seems fine yeah. Would apply to all demigods tho, not just Percy (although him powering through stuff might be a willpower feat and further resistance)
It would, but Percy’s level is significantly higher/more potent than most Demigod’s resistance, (and also he has the most blatant feats in both quantity and quality compared to other Demigods), so I focused on him.

As for if it needs to go in CRT, Armor got it perfectly. Since that’s the case, could someone get Staff move this into CRT?

This is fine.

I had the idea of making a general demigods abilities and resistances blog like that of the Olympians.
There are a bunch of stuffs that apply to demigods generally.
But it's not going to be ready anytime soon.

I will say, I think the Carter example is less a universal thing and more specifically Egyptian magic not working well on Greek demigods, so idk if I'd list it.

I will say, I think the Carter example is less a universal thing and more specifically Egyptian magic not working well on Greek demigods, so idk if I'd list it.
I was more under the idea that it’s just foreign magic in general doesn’t work against Demigods well.

Especially when we see Setne able to actually combine and use them, and we know that when Percy and Annabeth doing the same (giving her cap to Carter, making the invisibility stronger, Percy taking Carter’s wand—The magic of which immediately responding to Percy, Sadie and Annabeth making spells that worked via combining the principles of Hieroglyphs and Ancient Greek, Percy being able to be a Host, etc.,) that it’s not that Egyptian Magic can’t or won’t work on Demigods when they want it to.

Either way, it’s not anything to do with it not working. It can work, (as seen in Crown of Ptolemy).

I was more under the idea that it’s just foreign magic in general doesn’t work against Demigods well.

Especially when we see Setne able to actually combine and use them, and we know that when Percy and Annabeth doing the same (giving her cap to Carter, making the invisibility stronger, Percy taking Carter’s wand—The magic of which immediately responding to Percy, Sadie and Annabeth making spells that worked via combining the principles of Hieroglyphs and Ancient Greek, Percy being able to be a Host, etc.,) that it’s not that Egyptian Magic can’t or won’t work on Demigods when they want it to.

Either way, it’s not anything to do with it not working. It can work, (as seen in Crown of Ptolemy).
I would then say that its more of a baseline resistance and anything even slightly above baseline would require his mental focus to succesfully resist it, otherwise it would work like normal

Also what kind of magic are we talking about here? Like would he resist a death manipulation magic like avada kedavra with this too?

I would then say that its more of a baseline resistance and anything even slightly above baseline would require his mental focus to succesfully resist it, otherwise it would work like normal

Also what kind of magic are we talking about here? Like would he resist a death manipulation magic like avada kedavra with this too?
It’s a generalized thing. He’s able to resist various things (Time Slow {Kronos}, Paralysis {Setne}, “Attack Magic” {Carter}, Mind Control/Emotional Manipulation {The Singer}, and Sleep/Status Inducement {Morpheus}.)

There’s not a clear theme or connective tissue outside of “Demigods are stated to be able to resist magic to some degree, and then Percy resists random magical things as the plot requires.”

It’s especially hard to quantify when you consider the Morpheus statement.

Being that affecting many people requires a lot of magic, but in a large range it is harder to affect a Demigod. Percy then fell to the Singer while she also was expanding it on thousands—Meaning a high concentration + mass amounts due to range.

Then Percy tanks her concentrated effort all on him. The implication being a vast amount of magic was being expended on Percy.

That said, obviously it’s not some immunity. I could definitely see Jackson walk through like, the Killing Curse from HP, (despite HP hax they’re not all that powerful), but if like, ionno, Babidi did it or something I’m fairly certain he’d just die. It’s also not infallible, as we SEE Percy fall to magic right before breaking out, (Setne’s Fall). The issue is that’s still hard to quantify, since we learn that Setne was literally tearing apart a whole reality with his combo magic (an entire layer of the Duat).

Essentially, I couldn’t tell you for certain.

honestly water amp feels like the one proper resistance actually, maybe i'd list time resist separately

Don't see why this isn't already added, seems pretty clear. This should apply for all demigods, but Percy's ability to escape spells using water amp is his own personal thing

For unlocking and locking wiki pages, it is better to ping a few of our content moderators or to ask in our all-purpose requests thread.

Back