• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dragon Ball Super Discussion Thread 100

Do we allow backscaling from the Super manga?

That, and I only personally consider Lifting Strength scalable when a character is explicitly stated to be stronger than said character. Like, yes, obviously, Goku is infinitely more powerful than Jaco, but Jaco could always have higher Lifting Strength.

Besides, y'know, 40 tons.

There is Bardock carrying the Attack Ball over his shoulder, too, which does scale to the original series, but is, in all likelihood, an outlier.

There are, like, two Class K calculations (three, counting the Jaco feat), and then a dozen statements where characters are petrified at the thought of having to wear twice their body weight or, again, Goku needing Super Saiyan to lift 40 tons.

Although, in that latter instance, databooks have clarified that, first and foremost, being in the air made the task harder, and, secondly, Heaven yields a gravitational pull a hundred-times greater than that of Earth. But, like, that still means he needed Super Saiyan to pull off a Class M feat.

For comparison, the Mercenary Tao calculation is 484 tons.

That, and I only personally consider Lifting Strength scalable when a character is explicitly stated to be stronger than said character. Like, yes, obviously, Goku is infinitely more powerful than Jaco, but Jaco could always have higher Lifting Strength.

Ah just realized it’s from the dbs manga for some reason I didnt read it properly and assumed it was from the Jaco the galactic patrolmen

There is Bardock carrying the Attack Ball over his shoulder, too, which does scale to the original series, but is, in all likelihood, an outlier.

There are, like, two Class K calculations (three, counting the Jaco feat), and then a dozen statements where characters are petrified at the thought of having to wear twice their body weight or, again, Goku needing Super Saiyan to lift 40 tons.

Although, in that latter instance, databooks have clarified that, first and foremost, being in the air made the task harder, and, secondly, Heaven yields a gravitational pull a hundred-times greater than that of Earth. But, like, that still means he needed Super Saiyan to pull off a Class M feat.

For comparison, the Mercenary Tao calculation is 484 tons.
If there’s a lot of feats that scale higher than 40 tons then it would make 40 tons the Outlier im pretty sure

I actually was questioning this myself. How much do we allow? Like, Z Manga Goku has the immune system/disease resistance given by the Jaco the Patrolman manga, but Toei’s doesn’t. Then there’s the fact Toei Goku also seems to lack a lot of the mental abilities that Z Manga Goku has listed, even when he’s replicated some of the same feats (like intercepting King Kai’s telepathic call, or appearing to help Gohan). Like, Toei Goku doesn’t even have his mildly extended lifespan inherent to all Saiyans.

Last edited:
Like, Z Manga Goku has the immune system/disease resistance given by the Jaco the Patrolman manga,
Jaco the Galactic Patrolman is a prequel to the original series.
Like, Toei Goku doesn’t even have his mildly extended lifespan inherent to all Saiyans.
This only applies to Jaco the Galactic Patrolman.
If there’s a lot of feats that scale higher than 40 tons then it would make 40 tons the Outlier im pretty sure
There are two.

Jaco the Galactic Patrolman is a prequel to the original series.
Yeah, but would it not retroactively upgrade the Toei variation considering it is merely the Manga put to anime form (plus extra events)? I’ve always viewed it as the Manga informs the anime, but the anime doesn’t inform the Manga. This also makes me question why nearly none of the guide statements are used for Toei Goku, such as how Goku read Krillin’s mind, or how Goku sharpened his mind to speak without his voice “regardless of distance.”
This only applies to Jaco the Galactic Patrolman.
Sure…if you forget that the two aging statements made by Toriyama in interviews that is corroborated by the Jaco the Patrolman manga, instead of the vice versa. So Toei Goku should still totally have that longevity.

Yeah, but would it not retroactively upgrade the Toei variation considering it is merely the Manga put to anime form (plus extra events)? I’ve always viewed it as the Manga informs the anime, but the anime doesn’t inform the Manga. This also makes me question why nearly none of the guide statements are used for Toei Goku, such as how Goku read Krillin’s mind, or how Goku sharpened his mind to speak without his voice “regardless of distance.”

Sure…if you forget that the two aging statements made by Toriyama in interviews that is corroborated by the Jaco the Patrolman manga, instead of the vice versa. So Toei Goku should still totally have that longevity.
Iirc the extinction bomb statement and longevity statement arguments were “refuted” by claiming Toriyama had no authority over the toei anime which I now realize is false and that he only had authority over the manga but either way there’s a bunch of those statements for longevity in the Z anime either way so I have no idea why that wasn’t accepted

I actually was questioning this myself. How much do we allow? Like, Z Manga Goku has the immune system/disease resistance given by the Jaco the Patrolman manga, but Toei’s doesn’t. Then there’s the fact Toei Goku also seems to lack a lot of the mental abilities that Z Manga Goku has listed, even when he’s replicated some of the same feats (like intercepting King Kai’s telepathic call, or appearing to help Gohan). Like, Toei Goku doesn’t even have his mildly extended lifespan inherent to all Saiyans.
Toei doesn't have that because it is a different universe then the one that thr statement was made

Yeah, but would it not retroactively upgrade the Toei variation considering it is merely the Manga put to anime form (plus extra events)?
no, the anime has way too much differences and it is its own thing, just like how we don't scale the abilities of 616 spiderman to ultimate spiderman, different universes require proof for them to be applied

Okay, but how does this apply to events in the anime? For example, Jaco the Patrolman is obviously canon to DBS, and through the DBS anime we know that History of Trunks has retroactively been made canon for the Anime’s continuity.

Since the rules are “Manga Exclusive” doesn’t count, how does that math out when that Exclusive content now to some degree related to the current canon that has connected itself to what was once apart of the non-canon Toei events?

I assume the idea is just solely adding HoT without considering how Jaco’s events could logically include the rest of Toei?

Further, what about things in the new Super Anime/Manga? Like SSJ improving perception/sight?

Sidebar: We’re totally adding that in a CRT eventually, right?

Okay, but how does this apply to events in the anime? For example, Jaco the Patrolman is obviously canon to DBS, and through the DBS anime we know that History of Trunks has retroactively been made canon for the Anime’s continuity.

Since the rules are “Manga Exclusive” doesn’t count, how does that math out when that Exclusive content now to some degree related to the current canon that has connected itself to what was once apart of the non-canon Toei events?

I assume the idea is just solely adding HoT without considering how Jaco’s events could logically include the rest of Toei?

Further, what about things in the new Super Anime/Manga? Like SSJ improving perception/sight?

Basically everything in Super Anime implies that it’s a continuation of Z Anime/Kai but we say otherwise because there’s a statement that DBSSH adapts from Toriyama’s original manga

Yeah, but would it not retroactively upgrade the Toei variation considering it is merely the Manga put to anime form (plus extra events)? I’ve always viewed it as the Manga informs the anime, but the anime doesn’t inform the Manga.
No?
Different continuities.
In the TV anime's continuity, Bardock – The Father of Goku remains the prequel.
This also makes me question why nearly none of the guide statements are used for Toei Goku, such as how Goku read Krillin’s mind, or how Goku sharpened his mind to speak without his voice “regardless of distance.”
'Cuz nobody is doing threads like I am.
Iirc the extinction bomb statement and longevity statement arguments were “refuted” by claiming Toriyama had no authority over the toei anime which I now realize is false
hm?
Less "retroactively been made canon" and more "adapted".
Besides, Jaco the Galactic Patrolman is canon to the Super anime because Jaco the Galactic Patrolman is canon to the original series.
whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhy would that affect the tv anime?

DBS is manga DB canon and not toei canon

My dude, things shared between the two, like the guides are shared, things exclussive to one are not to the other, inreally don't see the point you are making

any proof that the events of the manga prequel, launched years after the toei anime, would be canon to said anime? This is like saying that DB minus is canon to toei anime

Retroactively applies to OG DB manga, but not to the Toei continuity

Not unless you have proof that these elements from one universe are equal in the othet alternate universe

No?
Different continuities.
In the TV anime's continuity, Bardock – The Father of Goku remains the prequel.

'Cuz nobody is doing threads like I am.

hm?

Less "retroactively been made canon" and more "adapted".
Besides, Jaco the Galactic Patrolman is canon to the Super anime because Jaco the Galactic Patrolman is canon to the original series.

whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhy would that affect the tv anime?
For the Bardock the Father of Goku movie you could argue that got retconned too because it was also canon to the manga before DB Minus and there’s statement saying it applied to the manga

Im referring to the extinction bomb crt when I mentioned that Toriyama mentioned that saiyans were immune to the extinction bomb and it was argued Toriyama doesn’t have authority over the anime and only manga so that statement couldn’t apply to toei

Also pretty sure Jaco The Galactic Explorer is mostly considered canon to Super because we see the Jaco The Galactic Explorer in super?
That reminds me, the Wiki still uses the Planet Vegeta destruction calculation from the outdated Episode 19 flashback.
that makes me wonder why we don’t use that calc for all versions

Pretty sure the broly movie one is not calculable
KLOL509 replied to Kulf Boba's calculation stating that the timeframe was impossible to determine because the bulk of the explosion occurred off-screen and there are multiple cuts in-between shots, but every subsequent cut carries over the continuity from the last, like the travelling of shockwaves across space and towards Frieza and the direction of the sparks.

A timeframe of 7 seconds drops the result down to Large Planet level.
For the Bardock the Father of Goku movie you could argue that got retconned too because it was also canon to the manga before DB Minus and there’s statement saying it applied to the manga
Only Bardock's last stand is referenced.
Im referring to the extinction bomb crt when I mentioned that Toriyama mentioned that saiyans were immune to the extinction bomb and it was argued Toriyama doesn’t have authority over the anime and only manga so that statement couldn’t apply to toei
I meant the whole "Toriyama does has authority over the anime" thing.

In the manga we have 2 visual that is similar to DBS broly's scene, we can say what the author intention was sure, but the manga never says that the events of the special are the cannon ones

Toryama said that the galactic patrol couldn't do anything agains the saiyans or freeza, and since they have the bomb, then the 2 must be able to resist that, but we have no proof of a galactic patrol nor the extinction bomb in the toei continuity

KLOL509 replied to Kulf Boba's calculation stating that the timeframe was impossible to determine because the bulk of the explosion occurred off-screen and there are multiple cuts in-between shots, but every subsequent cut carries over the continuity from the last, like the travelling of shockwaves across space and towards Frieza and the direction of the sparks.

More consistent with his Power Level, pog

Only Bardock's last stand is referenced.

I mean that’s it’s outright stated to be canon in the manga iirc it was either in a guide or by Toriyama itself or both

I’m confused are you saying he does have authority over the anime or not?
In the manga we have 2 visual that is similar to DBS broly's scene, we can say what the author intention was sure, but the manga never says that the events of the special are the cannon ones

Toryama said that the galactic patrol couldn't do anything agains the saiyans or freeza, and since they have the bomb, then the 2 must be able to resist that, but we have no proof of a galactic patrol nor the extinction bomb in the toei continuity
Which 2 visuals? The Bardock special was literally stated to be canon to the manga I’m not saying it still is but it was it got retconned though

Toriyama

No, Toriyama explicitly referenced the Extinction Bomb in an interview in V-Jump. If Guides and Interviews are freely allowed to be used for both Anime and Manga, then the Toei Continuity Saiyans should definitely have the same resistance.
He’s referring to Executor. According to Executor, mostIf not allOf the Toei stuff had a portion of Toriyama’s influence.

This is as small as merely character designs, to writing up a whole weakness for Toei Namekians (whistling hurting their ears due to how advanced/sensitive their hearing is), to the entirety of the Toei Cosmolgy was influenced by Toriyama, made by him so they can make their filler. While each piece of Toei can’t be properly discerned for exactly how much Tori involvement is in it, if we restrict ourselves to solely what Tori has involved himself in, it suddenly becomes a clusterfuck. Mind you, as referenced by Executor, over East they (as in the people who work with him) have the mindset of anything influenced by Toriyama is fair game, and thus DBZ:K could be considered “the true story.”

Also, it should be noted that Toriyama retroactively adds data in interviews, which should also be considered by the logic given. Like S-Cells, the SSG Legend, etc.

No, Toriyama explicitly referenced the Extinction Bomb in an interview in V-Jump. If Guides and Interviews are freely allowed to be used for both Anime and Manga, then the Toei Continuity Saiyans should definitely have the same resistance.
Not when the interview was in relation to the main continuity/DBS

He’s referring to Executor. According to Executor, mostIf not allOf the Toei stuff had a portion of Toriyama’s influence.
Key point being "portions" we know that he helped, but we don't know all that he did and didn't had a hand into, also how this relate to a thing informed years after the toei animr endee exactly?

This is as small as merely character designs, to writing up a whole weakness for Toei Namekians (whistling hurting their ears due to how advanced/sensitive their hearing is), to the entirety of the Toei Cosmolgy was influenced by Toriyama
I ask you to prove this last part

made by him so they can make their filler. While each piece of Toei can’t be properly discerned for exactly how much Tori involvement is in it, if we restrict ourselves to solely what Tori has involved himself in, it suddenly becomes a clusterfuck.
How would it become a "cluster ****" we would be being acurate

Mind you, as referenced by Executor, over East they (as in the people who work with him) have the mindset of anything influenced by Toriyama is fair game, and thus DBZ:K could be considered “the true story.”
and DBK clearly isn't since it uses the bardock special and has mira and towa in it, both of which do not fit into the main cannon showed in dbs brolt and the main cannon, besides, what they consider matters not much when they aren't akira talking

Also, it should be noted that Toriyama retroactively adds data in interviews, which should also be considered by the logic given. Like S-Cells, the SSG Legend, etc.
Don't see how this matters here?

I ask you to prove this last part
I’m telling you what Executor claimed. If you want sources/proof you’ll have to ask him.
How would it become a "cluster *****" we would be being acurate
Because trying to figure out the level of influence Toriyama had with each Toei work is near impossible.
and DBK clearly isn't since it uses the bardock special and has mira and towa in it, both of which do not fit into the main cannon showed in dbs brolt and the main cannon, besides, what they consider matters not much when they aren't akira talking
Sure, but the point remains all the same.
Don't see how this matters here?
I’m just pointing out how interviews should still apply to Toei.

Because trying to figure out the level of influence Toriyama had with each Toei work is near impossible.
Also this is important. How do we even figure out “how much” influence is enough for it to be considered valid. If, for example, we decided that just passing notes and rough drafts isnt enough, then DBS anime and manga are both noncanon by this standard.

Back