• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dragon Ball Super Discussion Thread 100

They're always like this, Toei loves for the characters to sandbagg in weaker forms, when in the manga the base form was never used again for fights once they got Super Saiyan and by the Buu Saga regular Super Saiyan was only used by people who couldn't go higher at the time.

I think it's just that Toei didn't expect Toriyama to make SSJ so easy to turn into, but they have confirmed twice that the events of Namek within the canon of the film the events played out identically to canon, which means as weird as it sounds, yeah, Goku not going SSJ like he normally could and turning into it "for the first time seemingly" in the film just is Toei being weird.
I mean, Goku just casually switched back and forth the form in the battle against Freezer when he gave up in the fight, though I guess they didn't know at the time.

I mean, Goku just casually switched back and forth the form in the battle against Freezer when he gave up in the fight, though I guess they didn't know at the time.
I mean, I would imagine not. Goku's eye color in his design was barely solified by that point, because Toriyama when first making it just had the hair up (as seen in Lord Slug) then made it blonde with red eyes (as seen in many prototype designs, which were even used on Cooler's Revenge Posters) before finally focusing onto one specific design (Blonde and Blue Eyes). The film also blatantly reused a cut of Goku's power up and attack against Frieza in the film, so I wouldn't be surprised if they straight up just weren't aware.

"Goku becomes a Super Saiyan again." (Passage right next to the film poster). Confirming what was stated on the Toei Return of Cooler info Pamphlet/Film Comic, Goku used SSJ against Frieza, meaning the plot hole is doubly recitified.

5338460761_95704be25e_6k.jpg
Yeah pretty sure the guys who made the movie which Toriyama didn't take much part in just didn't think Goku could easily go Super Saiyan after Namek.

Yeah pretty sure the guys who made the movie which Toriyama didn't take much part in just didn't think Goku could easily go Super Saiyan after Namek.
I like to think this was Goku's first time using Super Saiyan after Namek in this alternate dimension, so he couldn't go to that mental head space of rage on his own.

Back