• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Does this fall under Subjective Reality?

That is, the functions of the Persona series' concept of the Collective Unconscious.

For context, the Collective Unconscious (also known as the Cognitive Universe) is exactly what it sounds like: a place representing the unconscious thoughts, feelings and concepts of humanity.

Changes in the Collective Unconscious fundamentally shape reality to a certain extent, but after Yaldabaoth fused the cognitive universe with the physical universe, changes in cognition directly reflected themselves in reality (i.e. when mankind chose to no longer believe in the Phantom Thieves, they were erased from existence). Similarly, but in the opposite vein, Nyarlathotep could bring about new existences by influencing mankind into thinking that imagined scenarios actually happened (i.e. that an ancient spaceship was lying hidden underneath the city).

So would manipulating mankind's thoughts and warping reality through changing their beliefs be considered a form of Subjective Reality?

Manipulating the whole of mankind to change reality is just mind manipulation.

The collective unconsciousness of humanity warping reality is subjective reality because turning thoughts to reality is bypassing the boundary between unreality and reality.

The people that manipulate mankind do it through manipulating the CU directly, anyway, even if it technically counts as mind manip, so wouldn't that count as a form of applies subjective reality?

I guess the palace rulers' would have it within their palaces then, if I'm understanding this right.

If they manipulate the CU of humanity itself. Like the abstract thing. Then I guess it'd be a form of conceptual and subjective reality yes. I thought it was more manipulate the minds of each human.

Is it someone's own superpower or just a verse mechanic that making humanity believe something can actually change reality?

A little bit of both. It's partly a verse mechanic, but the effects of it on its own is nigh-unnoticeable most of the time. It usually takes the intervention of someone with direct control over the CU to actually push it over to the point of reality warping. In Yaldabaoth's case, he had to fuse reality with the CU in order to achieve stuff like existence erasure.

Back