• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dilated Time Speed Calcs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. Do you have a good idea of what to write, or should we wait for DontTalk?

Calculating Speed

When calculating speed, we use the simple formula of V = D/T.

Calculating Dilated Time
Dilated time is one of the special cases when calculating speed. When everything is slowed down, just look for something of known speed and compared with the speed is slowed time. Then we multiply that by the speed of the speedster. If you don't know how fast he is running in that scene, here are few choices:

Human walking speed: 1.4 m/s

Human jogging speed: 3.71 m/s

Human running speed: 5-7.7 m/s

If the scene is frozen, use 0.001 m/s (the speed of the snail) for the frozen object as a reasonable estimate.

In general if time seems frozen for some character you should figure out what the minimum distance they could move without you noticing is. In animations, that would often be 1 pixel or something, where you can then figure out how much distance that is through scaling and then find the timeframe by figuring out how fast the thing that appears frozen probably is (since it appears frozen it probably is actually in movement right?).

But I suppose this is not about things like manga and anime, where you can do such visual measurements, but more about something like books, where it is just said that someone is moving so fast that the surroundings seem frozen for him?

I would want to add that such descriptions are often hyperbole to just say "much faster", but if we deal with something where that isn't the case I am fine with snail speed, I guess.

In regards to which page... hmmm...

The calculations page has mostly AP stuff on it currently, so it would need a new section.

I guess this will not become long enough to be its own page.

Maybe the best place is on the projectile dodging feats page as an addition on what to do if the distance the projectile covered is 0?

Hmmm... you think so? To be fair I always saw projectile dodging as speed calcing 101, due to the fact that you can basically replace "projectile" with anything else to have an instruction on how to calculate speed in general.

But if you would rather have it on the calculations page I suppose we can do that as well. In that case I would suggest to slightly extend the header from what you suggested, with a brief explanation of what D and T is and how you usually figure out T (by calculating the distance something with known speed moves).

That can be done with a few lines and for details and in depth explanations the speed related pages (projectile dodging, lightning dodging, Laser/light beam dodging) can be linked.

After that the dilated time part then.

I do not think it is related with projectile dodging because the formula is:

Speed of object in real life/Speed of object in dilated time*Speed of character in dilated time

Alternate values for speed of character in dilated time can be:

And snail speed can be used when frozen, or 1 pixel as suggested by you.

You're misinterpreting what DontTalk said. He agreed with using snail speed, but only for books. 1px would be for movies/animes, and I frankly find myself agreeing with him on this.

I agree with 1 px. Whole-heartedly.

I think Antoniofer would disagree though. I once used 1 mm in a dilated calc and he claimed it is a "value out of nowhere">

I disagree with 1px if the character is visibly not moving at such a slow speed. Antonio was right in his evaluation, as he always is.

You can basically use it for anything you visually see the thing not moving.

I mean, the basic idea is quite simple: If you can not see it moving on screen than it must have moved less than 1 pixel, because otherwise you would have seen it move 1 pixel.

Of course sometimes you have to settle with a larger distance if you can not confirm 1px due to things like changes of perspective or camera movement. But one usually can figure out some upper limit to the movement if one has visuals of the objects not moving.

Speed Calculations

We use the usual V = D/T formula. Find the distance travelled by the character and divide by the timeframe.

Dilated Time Calculations
The formula is:

Speed of object in real life/Speed of object in dilated time*Speed of character in dilated time

Alternate values for speed of character in dilated time can be:

When the scene is frozen, it is a bit more complicated. For movies, tv shows, animes, manga, etc, we should assume the character moved 1 pixel as a safe estimate. If it is a book, we should assume the character is moving at 0.001 m/s, the speed of a snail.

What do you guys think?

Kepekley23 said:
I disagree with 1px if the character is visibly not moving at such a slow speed. Antonio was right in his evaluation, as he always is.
I'm not talking whether his evaluation is right or wrong, I'm talking about he claimed 1 mm as a value out of nowhere. I'm merely guessing that he might disagree with 1 px for the same reason.

@DontTalk & Kepekley23

So are you fine with the suggested text to be inserted into the calculations page, or would you prefer to modify it?

This part is a bit off-tone:

"When the scene is frozen, it is a bit more complicated. For movies, tv shows, animes, manga, etc, we should assume the character moved 1 pixel as a safe estimate. If it is a book, we should assume the character is moving at 0.001 m/s, the speed of a snail."

Something like the following would probably be more professional, since that's our goal.

When the scene is frozen, a different method must be used. For TV shows, light novels and the likes, the distance the character moved in dilated time should be found with methods such as pixelscaling and angsizing. If it's impossible to apply these methods, a minimum of 1px should be assumed. For novels and books, where it's impossible to calculate how much a character moved unless it is explicitly stated, the average speed of a garden snail (0.001m/s) should be used. The reason being the fact it's unknown if the characters are actually frozen or just moving at a very slow pace, thus assuming the latter makes for a safe approximation.

But DontTalk should probably evaluate the new suggestion.

This would be my current suggestion: (Edit: Note that this was written before a bunch of the responses here)

Speed Calculations
To calculate the speed of a character or object the basic formula used is v = d/t, where v is the speed of the object, d is the distance the object moved and t is the amount of time it took the character/object to move that much.
Usually the time it took for an object to move the distance is calculate by dividing the distance another object moved during that time, through the speed of that object. That requires knowing the speed of the other object, of course.

More details, such as more in depth explanations on how to figure out the distance and the time as well as examples on how to calculate speed, can be found on the following pages:

Slow Motion Calculations
Sometimes when calculating speed one might encounter scenes where time seems to move slowly from the perspective of a fast moving character. Fundamentally speed calculations can be performed in the same way as normal in such cases.

In other words one just has to figure out a timeframe through the movement of a reference object with known speed, measure how far the character moved during that timeframe and divide the distance through the length of the timeframe (v = d/t).

However, sometimes the time is not just slowed down, but appears outright frozen.

In this case, if a reference object with known speed can be visually confirmed to not have moved even 1 pixel (which requires the feat to happen in a visual media like a comic, movie or animation) one can figure out the timeframe, by saying that it most have been less than the timeframe that the object would have taken to move 1 pixel.

If that can not be confirmed different upper limits, with similar argumentation, can usually be confirmed. In cases with a moving camera/point of view it can be useful to compare the movement to an object that can be assumed to be static.

Especially for written feats another method can be relevant. In that one first wants to figure out how many times slower the time is from the real time and then figure out how fast a movement in that time really is, based on how fast it looks in the slowed down time.

So the formula would be (real speed of reference object / apparent speed of reference object) * apparent speed of object of intrest = real speed of object of interest

For example: If an object that really is 1000 m/s fast seems to move with only 10 m/s in slowed down time a character that seems to move with a human walking speed of 1.4 m/s in slowed time would move with (1000 m/s / 10 m/s) * 1.4 m/s = 140 m/s.

Useful values for the apparent speed of movement would be:

Sometimes even something like "time seems frozen" or that nothing moves is stated. Often this kind of statements are hyperboles. However, should that not be the case one may assume that the apparent speed of the reference object is less than or equal to 0.001 m/s.

Mind rule 7 regarding Cinematic Time, whenever calculating feats involving slowed time.

Thank you very much for the help DontTalk.

Would you be fine with if this is added to the Calculations page Kepekley23?

I'm completely fine with it. Seems much more in-depth than any of the other suggestions thrown in so far.

Okay. Thanks. I will temporarily unlock the calculations page, so DontTalk can add his new section. Please tell me here when you are done.

Thank you very much for the help.

Should we close this thread then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back